• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Playing UM and I could use advice on movesets and held items:

Current team info:

Species: Dusk lycanroc
Level: 50
Ability: tough claws
Nature: jolly
Held item: lycanium Z
Moves: thrash, crunch, thunder fang, stone edge

Species: Decidueye
Level: 53
Ability: overgrow
Nature: bold
Held item: decidium z
Moves: synthesis, leaf blade, spirit shackle, pluck

Species: crabominable
Level: 51
Ability: iron fist
Nature: lonely
Held item: fightinium z
Moves: crabhammer, fizzy punch, ice punch, close combat

Species: araqnuid
Level: 48
Ability: water bubble
Nature: brave
Held item: buginium z
Moves: bubble beam, frost breath, crunch, lunge

Clearly I need to change some held items, though it tend to hardly use more than two Pokémon per battle.

I’m in vast poni canyon so I can get any items that are available up to that point.

Playing UM and I could use advice on movesets and held items:

Current team info:

Species: Dusk lycanroc
Level: 50
Ability: tough claws
Nature: jolly
Held item: lycanium Z
Moves: thrash, crunch, thunder fang, stone edge

Species: Decidueye
Level: 53
Ability: overgrow
Nature: bold
Held item: decidium z
Moves: synthesis, leaf blade, spirit shackle, pluck

Species: crabominable
Level: 51
Ability: iron fist
Nature: lonely
Held item: fightinium z
Moves: crabhammer, fizzy punch, ice punch, close combat

Species: araqnuid
Level: 48
Ability: water bubble
Nature: brave
Held item: buginium z
Moves: bubble beam, frost breath, crunch, lunge

Clearly I need to change some held items, though it tend to hardly use more than two Pokémon per battle.

I’m in vast poni canyon so I can get any items that are available up to that point.

Switch out Synthesis for Roost on Decidueye-Roost has more PP and can be used effectively in any weather condition. Also, swap out Pluck for Brave Bird when it learns it. That or Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak-priority is good for the species.

Teach Araquanid Liquidation ASAP when you can.

Maybe give Lycanroc a Ground type move to handle its Steel type weakness (and to help combat Poison types used by Team Skull). Either Drill Run or Stomping Tantrum are good and are both boosted by Tough Claws.

As for items, it really depends on you. By now, you should have found several damage increasing items, so use those. Berries are great too, especially since you can grow as many as you'd like. I would give half your party Z-Crystals, while the other half has items they can consistently use.

I made it to Alolas Pokemon league in Ultra moon. My question is this. Should I use Necrozma, Nebby, two Eevees, a Pikachu and Decidueye? Or should I hope Dialga will listen to me?

First member down. I think I can do this with the team I have. Two members of the elite four are down. I think I have this in the- NEBBY! Get back in the bag.

Well this post is void now. Because I just became champion of Alola.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, got another question regarding a possible teammate.

In my SS run, I've been trying to iron out a possible Flying Mon. Normally Noctowl is the go-to flyer for Johto in my runs, but I've been debating some other possibilities, as my current Noctowl is struggling to defeat opponents. I'm trying to limit my run to as many Johto Mons as possible (though as I posted elsewhere, I'm using a Victreebel atm as a Grass Mon, though I'm not sure if he will be long-term), so I don't want too rely on too many Kanto Mons. So right now I'm debating between Noctowl and Honchkrow. I know, Honchkrow is "technically" not in the SS Johto dex (which is surprising considering that all the Sinnoh-based move evolutions, like Mamoswine and Yanmega, are present), but I have over a dozen spare Dusk Stones in various Gen IV games and I just caught a Murkrow in the Safari Zone (but boy, I had to work for it, sheesh). And even though it's not in the dex proper, it can still be obtained just the same, it just won't have any data at the time (I know this because I attempted it a long time ago and it works just fine). So my question is this: should I use Honchkrow over Noctowl? And if so, should I evolve my Lv 17 Murkrow now or wait a while, and what moves would be good for her? Sorry for the heavy question, so thanks in advance to whoever answers.

Hey, got another question regarding a possible teammate.

In my SS run, I've been trying to iron out a possible Flying Mon. Normally Noctowl is the go-to flyer for Johto in my runs, but I've been debating some other possibilities, as my current Noctowl is struggling to defeat opponents. I'm trying to limit my run to as many Johto Mons as possible (though as I posted elsewhere, I'm using a Victreebel atm as a Grass Mon, though I'm not sure if he will be long-term), so I don't want too rely on too many Kanto Mons. So right now I'm debating between Noctowl and Honchkrow. I know, Honchkrow is "technically" not in the SS Johto dex (which is surprising considering that all the Sinnoh-based move evolutions, like Mamoswine and Yanmega, are present), but I have over a dozen spare Dusk Stones in various Gen IV games and I just caught a Murkrow in the Safari Zone (but boy, I had to work for it, sheesh). And even though it's not in the dex proper, it can still be obtained just the same, it just won't have any data at the time (I know this because I attempted it a long time ago and it works just fine). So my question is this: should I use Honchkrow over Noctowl? And if so, should I evolve my Lv 17 Murkrow now or wait a while, and what moves would be good for her? Sorry for the heavy question, so thanks in advance to whoever answers.

I'm aware this post is dated at least several weeks ago, and by now your problem is likely more than solved... but I like obsessing over stats and types and such when playing Pokemon so I'll help you anyway! All I can tell you is woah that's a lot of parentheses I'd use Honchkrow over Noctowl any day. The dual typing just works great and the Dark-type's usual Fighting/Bug weaknesses are mitigated thanks to Flying, making it more or less a pure Flying type in terms of defense.

With that said, who wants to help me plan my next UM playthrough? I'm taking my boy Incineroar on a journey to vanquish Necrozma, Team RR and maybe even the Battle Tree.

No moves, natures or breeding yet. For now, just the basics: Incineroar / Magnezone / Crobat / Machamp / Espeon / Dhelmise

Magnezone is Incineroar's best friend and checks most of his weaknesses (esp. Water and Rock), and can enjoy Eviolite until Vast Pony Canyon. Crobat's super speedy and reduces my team's Ground weakness. Machamp because two wrestlers are better than one... and just look at those muscles!

This is the ideal team that doesn't have more than 2 of the same weaknesses. But some otherwise epic Pokemon like Dhelmise suffer from low availability and just sorely wishes it was Decidueye, so... I'm not happy with it. Ideas?

I'll get to more if i think of it later, but remember that Magneton evolves at the powerplant on island 3

I'll get to more if i think of it later, but remember that Magneton evolves at the powerplant on island 3

According to my sources, it's Poni Canyon. Same with Vikavolt.

My new lineup is Incineroar / Pelipper / Raichu / Machamp / Leafeon / Flygon. They can be interchanged, but it's an extremely well-balanced team atm

Last edited:
Now I'm conflicted. I could just as easily replace Raichu with Magnezone and add a Slyveon to resist Fighting, but then my team's as slow as rocks.

Looking over your team, I'd leave it as it is. Your balance is good as it is, and you should go far. Maybe check out Kamono-o to replace Machamp towards the end of the game?

Looking over your team, I'd leave it as it is. Your balance is good as it is, and you should go far. Maybe check out Kamono-o to replace Machamp towards the end of the game?

Ah, too late! The voices of the masses have spoken. My new lineup shall be: Incineroar / Pelipper / Magnezone / Machamp / Slyveon / Flygon. Not as fast as the previous lineup, but Speed is not as useful a trait as others let on, especially not when they'll be outsped by mons like Crobat and coughMewtwo Noivern when it matters most anyway. Flygon is still semi-optional at this point, though I don't see why I'd replace him seeing as he perfectly mitigates Rock and Ground and has a nice movepool.

Also, I never unless you're Slowbro swap out Pokemon for my team. It just makes me feel like all that work and effort was for nothing. Looking at his stats, though, I didn't realize just how slow Machamp really is.

Ugh, ugh, UGHHHHH! Trying to make a team with Incineroar and Lycanroc is infuriating. Both weak to Fighting- Water- and Ground, all very common types. Best I could come up with is adding Vikavolt, Tsareena and Kommo-o, which collectively mitigate their weaknesses, but they add new weaknesses of their own, makes my team slow as Rocks (pun intended Lycanroc) and no special sweepers.

Rock-types, why you suck so much? Mimikyu helps with Fighting, but that adds yet another physical sweeper with Swords Dance. Any ideas, really? I have no clue at this point. My team looks powerful, but I know it's gonna give me hell in later battles in US/UM.

Ugh, ugh, UGHHHHH! Trying to make a team with Incineroar and Lycanroc is infuriating. Both weak to Fighting- Water- and Ground, all very common types. Best I could come up with is adding Vikavolt, Tsareena and Kommo-o, which collectively mitigate their weaknesses, but they add new weaknesses of their own, makes my team slow as Rocks (pun intended Lycanroc) and no special sweepers.

Rock-types, why you suck so much? Mimikyu helps with Fighting, but that adds yet another physical sweeper with Swords Dance. Any ideas, really? I have no clue at this point. My team looks powerful, but I know it's gonna give me hell in later battles in US/UM.
Alolan Raichu takes care of the Water and Fighting type weakness, but adds another to Ground. Ofcourse, Volt Switch or Grass Knot might help with that. It's also pretty speedy, even more if you can breed Electric Terrain on it. I dunno if you're doing an Alolan mons only run?

Alolan Raichu takes care of the Water and Fighting type weakness, but adds another to Ground. Ofcourse, Volt Switch or Grass Knot might help with that. It's also pretty speedy, even more if you can breed Electric Terrain on it. I dunno if you're doing an Alolan mons only run?

I always wanted to use Alolan Raichu, but that massive weakness to Ground will just destroy my team, even with countermeasures. And yes, I actually was aiming for an all Alolan-mon run, and the team I came up with was Incineroar / Decidueye / Primarina / Vikavolt / Lycanroc / Kommo-o. It may seem cheap to use all three starters, but this combination is the only in-game method to make a team function with Incineroar and Lycanroc while covering their weaknesses and effectively countering them.

The three starters cover each others' weaknesses, for one. Vikavolt is immune to Ground and resists Fighting, among other types like Grass and Electric. If I wanted it to be really useful, I could give him Agility, making even a slow-runner like him enough to outspeed the normal speed tier. Lycanroc's type makes his defenses pitiful, but Rock is effective against Flying, Fire, and Ice, which a few on my team dislike; Decidueye and Primarina really help him along. Kommo-o completely shrugs off Rock and Water-type moves, is physically defensive and has a lot of firepower. His x 4 Fairy weakness won't matter, as no other mon on my team is weak to Fairy.

Click this link to Team Generator for the in-depth strengths and weaknesses. You'll find it's not weak to more than 2 of the same type.

So yeah, slow team, but all mons from Alola are slow. Agility Vikavolt is definitely a thing, maybe even Timid or Naive since duration of the game its prior evolutions are physical. What do you think? I could alternatively use Island Scanner to grab a Rotom which is Electric/Ghost with Levitate, thus lessening my fear of Rock, but I don't know why I would if I'm using Decidueye.

So yeah, slow team, but all mons from Alola are slow. Agility Vikavolt is definitely a thing, maybe even Timid or Naive since duration of the game its prior evolutions are physical. What do you think?
Vikavolt's base speed is 43, I'm not too sure about Agility fixing that problem. Imo you might be better off giving it a Quick Claw and hope it activates. Or maybe catching a Hasty/Naive Grubbin?

I always wanted to use Alolan Raichu, but that massive weakness to Ground will just destroy my team, even with countermeasures. And yes, I actually was aiming for an all Alolan-mon run, and the team I came up with was Incineroar / Decidueye / Primarina / Vikavolt / Lycanroc / Kommo-o. It may seem cheap to use all three starters, but this combination is the only in-game method to make a team function with Incineroar and Lycanroc while covering their weaknesses and effectively countering them.
Obviously, but that's not the team you posed. So, if you already had a team in mind (or even ready) why go with another one?

Vikavolt's base speed is 43, I'm not too sure about Agility fixing that problem. Imo you might be better off giving it a Quick Claw and hope it activates. Or maybe catching a Hasty/Naive Grubbin?
If this was in the competitive sense (with Max potential speed involved) then a level 50 Vikavolt would be able to out speed 137 base speed Pokémon at Level 50 (even if they are max speed as well) with just one agility to get to a speed of 208 (original 104) so it could see some use in game imo since there is no perfect evs, ivs or set levels for in game stuff :p.

If this was in the competitive sense (with Max potential speed involved) then a level 50 Vikavolt would be able to out speed 137 base speed Pokémon at Level 50 (even if they are max speed as well) with just one agility to get to a speed of 208 (original 104) so it could see some use in game imo since there is no perfect evs, ivs or set levels for in game stuff :p.

Yeah, I plan on breeding it with perfect IVs, Timid/Naive nature and using Pelago to max out its Spd and Sp. Atk stats respectively. And... wow. You're saying one Agility gives it enough to outspeed Crobat/Noivern?

Back
Top Bottom