• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Typhlosion can learn some stronger fire type moves like Erruption(lv53) or Overheat(tm) you could also teach him Hidden power(tm) and check what type it is and how strong or even Will-o-wisp(tm) since it halves the target's attack and burns. You could teach gengar Thunderbolt(tm) or Energy ball (by tm). Alakazam can also learn Energy ball (though you dont get the TM till after the elite 4) or better yet Reflect(tm) to make up for its poor defense. You may want to make the last move of ampharos light screen (tm or lv51) to boost your team's sp.def. And for hercross stone edge(tm) is always a strong choice and it makes up for his weakness to flying and fire.

These guys are pretty good they should be able to handle the elite 4 well.

Thanks! I was wondering if maybe I should trade the Alakazam for Espeon? And if I did, what should its moveset be?

And also, I don't know if this is the right place for it or not, but how does Hidden Power actually work? I've been confused by this. I've checked websites but, for some reason, it isn't just clicking with me.

Thanks! I was wondering if maybe I should trade the Alakazam for Espeon? And if I did, what should its moveset be?

And also, I don't know if this is the right place for it or not, but how does Hidden Power actually work? I've been confused by this. I've checked websites but, for some reason, it isn't just clicking with me.

In my opinion espeon is alot stronger than alakazam. The only dowside is its puny move pool. I own an espeon and here are the moves i taught it:

reflect
morning sun
psychic
calm mind

This set makes him a surprisingly efficient wall/sweeper.
Its pretty good but it lacks anything to use on dark types. If you do get espeon you can base its moveset off mine.
Gallade or gardevoir are also good psychic types

Hidden power's type and power depends on the IVs of the user so its kinda random....

Last edited:

In my opinion espeon is alot stronger than alakazam. The only dowside is its puny move pool. I own an espeon and here are the moves i taught it:

reflect
morning sun
psychic
calm mind

This set makes him a surprisingly efficient wall/sweeper.
Its pretty good but it lacks anything to use on dark types. If you do get espeon you can base its moveset off mine.
Gallade or gardevoir are also good psychic types

Hidden power's type and power depends on the IVs of the user so its kinda random....

Thanks Jaxon. I made up a moveset which had Psychic, Calm Mind and Morning Sun but I didn't know what to fill in for the last slot. I kind of wanted another attacking move (I had in Shadow Ball, but my Gengar already has that, so...) but Reflect might work. Thanks again.

This is my team on Heartgold. I feel like some moves can be improved. Please help! Thanks. :)

Ampharos –Signal Beam, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Heal Bell
Togekiss – Nasty Plot, Aura Sphere, Air Slash, Roost
Vaporeon –Surf, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Acid Armor
Typhlosion–Flamethrower, Sunny Day, Toxic, Eruption
Shiftry – Nasty Plot, Energy Ball, Extrasensory, Dark Pulse
Dragonite–Extremespeed, Earthquake, Outrage, Roost

This is my team on Heartgold. I feel like some moves can be improved. Please help! Thanks. :)

Ampharos –Signal Beam, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Heal Bell
Vaporeon –Surf, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Acid Armor
Typhlosion–Flamethrower, Sunny Day, Toxic, Eruption
Shiftry – Nasty Plot, Energy Ball, Extrasensory, Dark Pulse
Dragonite–Extremespeed, Earthquake, Outrage, Roost

This team's not bad.....but you probably should have taught vaporeon toxic since he's better at defense then typhlosion. If you do you may want to give it wish + protect to heal itself(just a suggestion).

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Also, I wonder if you guys can comment on my team in Platinum, and maybe make some suggestions:

Leafeon – Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Grasswhistle, Synthesis
Ninetales – Extrasensory, Confuse Ray, Nasty Plot, Flamethrower
Lanturn – Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam, Thunder Wave
Absol – Psycho Cut, Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Sucker Punch
Dragonite – Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Outrage, Roost

Last edited:

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Also, I wonder if you guys can comment on my team in Platinum, and maybe make some suggestions:

Leafeon – Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Grasswhistle, Synthesis
Ninetales – Extrasensory, Confuse Ray, Nasty Plot, Flamethrower
Lanturn – Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam, Thunder Wave
Absol – Psycho Cut, Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Sucker Punch
Dragonite – Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Outrage, Roost

You might want to teach leafeon x-scissor or natural gift and replace grasswhistle since its low accuracy makes it unreliable. Lanturn's not very strong so you might want to consider getting electivire or magnezone, also you could replace dragonite's roost with an elemental punch.

I forgot to mention to teach typhlosion in your other team solarbeam.

(Seems like i'm the only one commenting on teams lately XD)

You might want to teach leafeon x-scissor or natural gift and replace grasswhistle since its low accuracy makes it unreliable. Lanturn's not very strong so you might want to consider getting electivire or magnezone, also you could replace dragonite's roost with an elemental punch.

I forgot to mention to teach typhlosion in your other team solarbeam.

(Seems like i'm the only one commenting on teams lately XD)

Nah, Lanturn is awesome. If you invest in Special Defense, Special Attack, and Speed, it becomes a tank. :)

I would teach Leafeon X-Scissor, but I already taught it to Absol. I might make Leafeon relearn Sunny Day to boost Ninetales, but Grasswhistle has been helpful, since it gives me one or two turns to use Swords Dance.

I don't think I want to teach Dragonite an elemental punch, because an Outrage does about as much damage as a super effective punch.

Thanks for the help! :)

ANYONE wanna comment on my team...pleasseeee?

Last edited:

Here's my team; please make any corrections that you see fit and any suggestions are welcome:
Infernape lv.51 timid
Sitrus berry
Stealth rock
Close Combat
Flare Blitz
Slack off

Garchomp lv.100 Naughty
Lum Berry
False swipe-temporary
Dragon Claw
Crunch
Earthquake

Luxray lv.76 Careful
Shed Shell
Thunderbolt
Thunder
Crunch
Superpower

Metagross lv.77 Naughty
Razor fang
Hammer arm
Ariel ace
Meteor mash
Earthquake

Uxie lv.53 Docile
Scope lens
Yawn
Endure
Hyper Beam
Psychic

Empoleon lv.78 Calm
Leftovers
Ice beam
Drill Peck
Hydro Pump
Surf

ANYONE wanna comment on my team...pleasseeee?

Okay, I'll do my best.

Here's my team:
lv79
Salamence(f)
Adamant
stats
hp/259
atk/298
def/139
sp.atk/191
sp.def/151
spd/228

held:life orb
draco meteor
aerial ace
stone edge
fire fang

I would replace Draco Meteor with Outrage (or Dragon Claw if you have D/P), as your attack stat is way higher than your special attack stat. I also prefer Fly over aerial ace, but that's just a personal preference.

lv79
Metagross
Careful
stats-
hp/235
atk/264
def/235
sp.atk/141
sp.def/220
spd/138

held:eek:cca berry
magnet rise
earthquake
meteor mash
zen headbutt

No complaints...

lv79
Porygon-z
Serious
stats-
hp/236
atk/145
def/118
sp.atk/280
sp.def/125
spd/185

held:choice specs
tri attack
thunderbolt
dark pulse
signal beam

Good.

lv79
Mamoswine(m)
Lonely
stats-
hp/293
atk/260
def/158
sp.atk/132
sp.def/117
spd/202

held:lum berry
ice shard
earthquake
reflect
light screen

Okay

lv79
Roserade(f)
Calm
stats-
hp/198
atk/111
def/102
sp.atk/242
sp.def/224
spd/203
held:white herb
leaf storm
sludge bomb
growth
attract

You don't need growth. Replace with Hidden Power fire, or if you don't feel like rearranging your stats, synthesis. I would also replace Leaf Storm with Energy Ball, which is, again, a personal preference of mine.

I don't like Attract either, so replace it with Toxic Spikes.

lv81
Empoleon(m)
Modest
hp/229
atk/134
def/198
sp.atk/271
sp.def/209
spd/110

held:focus sash
flash cannon
surf
aqua jet
ice beam

Okay, but replace Surf with Brick Break

Gosh, I hope you have platinum because you can hardly teach anything to your Pokemon in D/P.

Last edited:

Okay, but what do you need reflect and light screen for? Replace reflect with superpower. Even rock smash would be better than reflect, if you have D/P.

Ever heard of the strategy called "dual screen"?

Ever heard of the strategy called "dual screen"?

Yeah, I thought about it, but I still thought there needed to be coverage against normal types...

Maybe the task would be better suited for Empoleon, with Brick Break replacing Surf.

Last edited:

Can someone rate my team? I posted it on the last page.

Can someone comment on my team pleeeeeeease

Yeah, I thought about it, but I still thought there needed to be coverage against normal types...

Maybe the task would be better suited for Empoleon, with Brick Break replacing Surf.

With reflect up mamoswine can survive 2 stone edges from an adamant tyranitar holding a muscle band.(pwnd on the 3rd hit but earthquake usually 2hkos tyranitar)
And besides there arent many good pure normal types except blissey, snorlax and prygonZ. Most physical moves will swat porygonZ and Blissey dowm.

Also replaced roserade b4 reading this (see my old post for details)

Last edited:

Here's my team; please make any corrections that you see fit and any suggestions are welcome:

Infernape lv.51 timid
Sitrus berry
Stealth rock
Close Combat
Flare Blitz
Flamethrower*

Garchomp lv.100 Naughty
Lum Berry
Dragon Breath*
Dragon Claw
Crunch
Earthquake

Luxray lv.76 Careful
Shed Shell
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave*
Crunch
Superpower

Metagross lv.77 Naughty
Razor fang
Hammer arm
Gyro Ball*
Meteor mash
Earthquake

Uxie lv.53 Docile
Scope lens
Thunderbolt*
Endure
Hyper Beam
Psychic

Empoleon lv.78 Calm
Leftovers
Ice beam
Drill Peck
Hydro Pump
Surf

@Fern 24

There you go all changes are marked with a * :)

I'll just post my top 2:

Absol (Moonshade)(LVL.100)
-Night Slash
-Perish Song
-Swords Dance
-Giga Impact
----My prized Pokemon, Moonshade is my most powerful team member and acts as my Tank/Emergency fighter. When caught in a pickle, I eaither use Moonshade to steamroll or perish song me out. My pride and Joy. :D

Luxray (Blakzap) (LVL. 100)
-Thunder Fang
-Discharge
-Strength
-Thunder
----My Absol's second half, and my zap-tastic second favorite, i can succesfully sweep the post-N.Dex E4 with him. He and Absol make my perfefct double battle team. Love my Blakzap!

This is it? Oh well....

Absol-
1-Get rid of giga impact those kinds of moves are terrible!!! Try psycho cut.
2-Replace perish song with x-scissor
3-Consider sucker punch over night slash
4-Absol? A tank? that's not a very good idea

Luxray-
1-Replace discharge with crunch
2-Replace strenght with return
3-Replace thunder with thunder wave
4-Consider breeding for the other elemental fangs replacing strength and thunder

Hope this helps

Last edited:

With reflect up mamoswine can survive 2 stone edges from an adamant tyranitar holding a muscle band.(pwnd on the 3rd hit but earthquake usually 2hkos tyranitar)
And besides there arent many good pure normal types except blissey, snorlax and prygonZ. Most physical moves will swat porygonZ and Blissey dowm.

Also replaced roserade b4 reading this (see my old post for details)

You should really consider replacing your Salamence's Draco Meteor with Dragon Claw/Outrage.

infernape lvl.81
hasty

close combat
u-turn
heat wave
slack off

garchomp lvl 79
adamant

outrage
earthquake
crunch
fire fang