• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

I say if you need a water type pokemon, look for TENTACRUEL for it is super fast, and has one of the highest special defenses in the game... i should know, i have one

Slowpoke
Gible
Elekid
Riolu
Charmander
Chikorita

I'm thinking of using this team for HG & SS when it comes out. Advice and opinions from a neutral standpoint would be appreciated.

Okay here's my main in-game battle team (yes i know that Mumble has a rather... monotonous move set)

Empoleon (Mumble) Lvl. 100 @Water Plate
Ability: Torrent
Aqua Jet
Brine
Ice Beam
Hydro Cannon

yes, he knows almost all water moves, but he's my starter, and i feel obligated to include him in this team. 'sides, Hydro Cannon hits hard, and Brine/AJ have very helpful "finishing blow" effects, AJ being a quick attack sort of move, and brine dealing extra damage if the target is at half health or lower.

Luxray (Spark2)[still in training, but this is the desired outcome] Lvl. 100 @Quick Claw
Ability: Rivalry
Crunch
Ice Fang
Fire Fang
Thunder Fang

Spark2's moveset is entirely physical, a reccommendation from Jaxon. Rivalry helps to augment his already significant attack stat, powering up his entire moveset. As for the Quick Claw, that little trinket has saved me more times than i'd care to recount.

Rapidash (Jason) Lvl. 100 @Expert Belt
Ability: Run Away
Flare Blitz
Fire Blast
Bounce
Poison Jab

The expert belt gives my Rapidash an extra edge with his attacks, (long as they're super-effective) and he can normally get a palpable hit in before he's hit. Once he's hit though, it doesn't take terribly much to finish him, as he's not much in way of defense so much as speed and power. His ability's not much help though...

Abomasnow (Drover) Lvl. 100 @Big Root
Ability: Snow Warning
Ice Shard
Blizzard
Wood Hammer
Giga Drain

The main highlight of Drover is Blizzard being 100% accurate as long as Snow Warning stays in effect. That and the recoil damage from wood hammer can be more than compensated for by the Root-boosted Giga Drain. All this, and IS is a useful finisher.

Tyranitar (Behemoth) Lvl. 100 @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
Aerial Ace
Ice Beam
Earthquake
Dark Pulse

Behemoth tends to hit hard, especially with the expert belt, and take several decent hits before faltering. His move set is probably the most well-laid-out out of my entire team, as he covers almost every type on the board.

Dragonite Lvl. 100 @Razor Claw
Ability: Inner Focus
Thunder Punch
Outrage
Hyper Beam
Aerial Ace

Dragonite is kinda just here cause I love the move Outrage, and he pulls it off beautifully. Thunderpunch and Aerial Ace give him a decently composed move set, so he's set up rather well, i should think.

Last edited:

LVL 100 swampert surf- muddy water- ice beam - earthquake
LVL 70 slaking - hyperbeam - strength -
LVL 55 salemance Hydro pump (help please)
LVL (currently not metagross) Metagross (help please)
Please help for the rest

wafflicious' team:
If R/S/E
swampert
surf- curse/rock slide- ice beam - earthquake
slaking
return-shadow ball- brick break-earthquake
salemance
Hydro pump-thunder bolt-fire blast-crunch/dragon claw
Metagross
meteor mash-sludge bomb/agility-psychic-explosion
Houndoom?
Flamethrower-crunch-will-o-wisp-hidden power
Heracross?
Mega horn-brick break-aerial ace-swords dance/facade

If Gen IV:
swampert
waterfall- curse/stone edge- stealth rock- earthquake
slaking
return-shadow claw- brick break-earthquake
salemance
Hydro pump-thunder bolt-fire blast-dragon pulse/draco meteor
Metagross
meteor mash-pursuit/agility/iron defense-psychic/zen headbutt-explosion
Infernape?
Fake out-U-turn-close combat/mach punch-flare blitz/overheat
Drapion?
Cross poison-X-scissor-swords dance-ice fang/earthquake

I just added some of my reccomendations

Last edited:

*Edit*
New levels

Staraptor Level 65
Item: Sky Plate
Moves
Brave Bird
Aerial Ace
Fly
Close Combat

Feraligatr level 55
Item: Wave incense
Moves
Ice Beam
Surf
Aqua Tail
Crunch

Garchomp level 49
Item: Dragon Claw
Moves
Slash
Dragon Claw
Sandstorm
Earthquake

Abomasnow Level 41
Item: Meadow Plate
Moves
Energy Ball
Blizzard
Wood Hammer
Rock Climb

I realize I only have 4 pokemon, and there is a wide range of levels, so I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:

MaelstromBen:

Empoleon (Mumble) Lvl. 100 @Water Plate/lum berry?

Aqua Jet/Brine
Ice beam
Hydro Pump/Surf
Flash cannon/Grass knot

Did you really need 2 finishers? One should be good enough. Ice beam will take care of dragon types, hydro pump/surf is a choice between power/reliability and flash cannon will beat ice types/grass knot will beat other water types

Luxray (Spark) Lvl. 100 @Quick Claw

Crunch
Thunder/ice fang
Rain Dance/fire fang
Thunder Fang

Crunch and the elemental fangs will make better use of luxray's great attack.

Rapidash (Jaylee) Lvl. 100 @Expert Belt

Flare Blitz
Fire Blast/Mega horn
Bounce
Poison Jab

This was already a decent move set but I suggested megahorn for coverage against psychic/dark types.

Abomasnow (Drover) Lvl. 100 @Big Root/leftovers

Ice Shard/protect
Blizzard/wood hammer
Wood Hammer/substitute
Giga Drain/leech seed

Leech seed/giga drain and leftovers would heal his hp every turn and protect would stall for 1 turn and allow him to gain some free heals.

Tyranitar (Behemoth) Lvl. 100 @ Dread Plate/life orb

Stone edge
Ice Beam/Avalanche/Stealth rock
Earthquake
Dark Pulse/Crunch

My stone edge is a strong STAB move and avalanche and crunch will take advantage of his high attack. Stealth rock will just soften up your enemy's pokemon as it switches in.

Dragonite Lvl. 100 @Razor Claw/muscle band

Thunder Punch
Outrage
Ice punch
Aerial ace/Roost/Dragon dance

Aerial ace is better than wing attack since it has as much power and a secondary effect. Ice punch will give him the physical version of the boltbeam combo which is only resisted by lanturn, magnezone and shedinja. Roost would allow him to heal and reduce damage from rock, electric and ice for a turn and Dragon dance will improve his ability to sweep.

Jaxon:
Thanks! I think i'll raise another luxray for this team, and give him the moves you've suggested. As for Mumble, Brine and AJ are finishing moves for different purposes, so i'll probably keep both, but i'll probably add an ice move in place of one of the Hydro- moves. Dragonite: i'll swap wing attack for aerial ace, but I'm a big fan of Hyper Beam. It is the most Powerful Normal move, alongside Giga Impact, after all.

My battle frontier team:

Infernape: Flamethrower, Blast Burn, Close Combat, Giga Impact

Electivire: Thunderbolt, Thunder, Earthquake, Giga Impact

Milotic: Surf, Hydro Pump, Dragon Pulse, Blizzard.

I wanna infernape's giga impact. I'm thinkin' thunder punch or poison jab. Milotic's dragon pulse isn't all that powerful so I wanna change that. Any suggestions?

How's this?

Infernape: Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Close Combat, Stone Edge, Grass Knot
Electivire: Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Earthquake, Low Kick/Brick Break
Milotic: Surf/Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Toxic, Recover

My battle frontier team:

Infernape: Flamethrower, Blast Burn, Close Combat, Giga Impact

Electivire: Thunderbolt, Thunder, Earthquake, Giga Impact

Milotic: Surf, Hydro Pump, Dragon Pulse, Blizzard.

I wanna infernape's giga impact. I'm thinkin' thunder punch or poison jab. Milotic's dragon pulse isn't all that powerful so I wanna change that. Any suggestions?
I recommend you to choose only one type move each.. I mean you don't need Surf and Hydro Pump together.. And let me warn you.. Battle Frontier is more to "strategic".. Not pure horsepower like what you did to the Elite..

That sounds pretty good. I forgot infernape can learn grass knot.

I beat the tower tycoon and the arcade star with that team. I just keep losing the wi-fi battle tower battles. When I got my milotic off of the GTS it knew surf, hydro pump, water pulse, brine. lol

How 'bout I replace infernape with:

Typhlosion: Eruption, Earthquake, thunder punch, flamethrower?

Triple-post alert!

Typhlosion could work, but Infernape's faster, and it's strong in both spectrums, Physical and Special.

A turn in which the foe can either set up on you or revenge-kill our Pokemon.

touche. but explosion/self destruct can miss (hyper beam and giga impact can too, i know) and they automatically knock you out, whereas hyper beam and giga impact only stall if they hit

Back
Top Bottom