• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Explosion and Selfdestruct can't miss unless the opponent's evasion / user's accuracy have been reduced. Hyper Beam gives a free turn for setup or switching to a counter, after which your team could be destroyed. Explosion / Selfdestruct, unlike Hyper Beam variants, are almost guaranteed to KO, meaning you're at least even. If you do it from low health (where you would die anyway), you can take out one extra Pokemon. The next turn, you are free to bring in whatever, so they don't have that extra turn.

Explosion / STAB Selfdestruct are competitively viable. Hyper Beam variants are not. However, this is the in-game thread, and therefore Hyper Beam is better for brute force since your Pokemon aren't healed at the end of every fight. Though keep in mind that the Battle Tower and pals should be approached from a competitive mindset.

touche, good point, i had only been thinking in terms of the in-game battles part

Pokemon Battle Revolution

Stargazer Colosseum
Master's Battle Round 8

My Team
Palkia (Hasty)
6 HP / 252 SP ATK / 252 Speed
Lustrous Orb
Spacial Rend / Surf / Thunder / Aqua Tail

Kyogre (Timid)
Leftovers
Calm Mind / Surf / Thunder / Ice Beam

Mewtwo (Timid)
6 HP / 252 Sp ATK / 252 Speed
Expert Belt
Thunderbolt / Aura Sphere / Calm Mind / Ice Beam

Latios (Timid)
6 HP / 252 Sp ATK / 252 Speed
Soul Dew
Draco Meteor / Grass Knot / Calm Mind / Recover

Shaymin (Timid)
Lum Berry
Earth Power / Seed Flare / Air Slash / Grass Knot

Zapdos (Timid)
Choice Scarf
Thunder / Signal Beam /Hidden Power Grass / Heat Wave

I know my Latios needs work, but he barely gets sent out and have been thinking of replacing MewTwo's Calm Mind with Shadow Ball.

Just Round 8 of this Masters Battle is EVIL.

nice utilization of movesets, Moogle, the only things i would change is to exchange Kyogre's Calm Mind with Rest, and Surf with Water Spout, and to finally exchange leftovers for a Chesto Berry (to give it, effectively, a full restore effect, and in the case of water spout, to take advantage of it the following turn). However, i see no problems with your current sets, so this is simply an idle suggestion.

nice utilization of movesets, Moogle, the only things i would change is to exchange Kyogre's Calm Mind with Rest, and Surf with Water Spout, and to finally exchange leftovers for a Chesto Berry (to give it, effectively, a full restore effect, and in the case of water spout, to take advantage of it the following turn). However, i see no problems with your current sets, so this is simply an idle suggestion.

Thanks a lot. I managed to get though using a different Latios with Dragon Pulse and giving it Shadow Ball over Recover and replacing MewTwo's Calm Mind with Shadow Ball.

Was my best run ever as usually as I move up the ranks I loose one of more pokemon, but in the first and 3rd battles I didn't get any of my pokemon KOed. The usually Trick Room team was nothing with Grass Knot and Signal Beam to fall back on to destroy Slowbro and Slowking when they have out a Lightingrod pokemon to protect those two.

Mismagius Lv. 64
@ Spell Tag
Levitate
Quirky Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse

Garchomp Lv. 62
@ Dragon Fang
Sand Veil
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Swords Dance
- Outrage

Bronzong Lv. 61
@ Quick Claw
Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Charge Beam
- Signal Beam
- Iron Head

Luxray Lv. 62
@ Magnet
Intimidate
Serious Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Spark
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Fang

Typhlosion Lv. 62
@ Wise Glasses
Blaze
Quiet Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Rollout

Empoleon Lv. 63
@ Wave Incense
Torrent
Quiet Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Grass Knot

So... This is my team. I say nothing in particular since I just picked Pokemon I thought I'd like. I don't really play competitively since I realized I'm not great at strategy ever since NetBattle came out. So really I just use this team in-game. Just wondering what everyone thinks. I'm really not impressed with Bronzong like I thought I'd be, so I'm considering replacing him soon.

Well seeing that HG/SS is coming out, you guys can rate the team I already made for the release. this is after I beat the e4

Typhlosion (Charcoal): Rock slide, eruption, thunderpunch, crush claw
Scizor (Iron Plate): Bullet Punch, X-Scissor, Light Screen, __________
Crobat (Poison Barb): Brave bird, fly, cross poison, confuse ray
Gyarados (Muscle band): Waterfall, earthquake, Dragon Dance, Ice Fang
Espeon (Leftovers): Psychic, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Calm Mind
Lugia: Psychic, Rain Dance, Aeroblast, Hydro Pump

Well seeing that HG/SS is coming out, you guys can rate the team I already made for the release. this is after I beat the e4

Typhlosion (Charcoal): Rock slide, eruption, thunderpunch, crush claw
Scizor (Iron Plate): Bullet Punch, X-Scissor, Light Screen, __________
Crobat (Poison Barb): Brave bird, fly, cross poison, confuse ray
Gyarados (Muscle band): Waterfall, earthquake, Dragon Dance, Ice Fang
Espeon (Leftovers): Psychic, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Calm Mind
Lugia: Psychic, Rain Dance, Aeroblast, Hydro Pump

Aww using a legendary in-game is just cheap even if the champion has perfect IV pokemon(Cynthia...) Anyway you're going to breed to get a Crobat with Brave Bird.

I am just a few flags away from my gold trainer card, so I decided that this would be a good time to ask for advise on a team to beat the battle tower.

Mismagius Lv. 64
@ Spell Tag
Levitate
Quirky Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse

Garchomp Lv. 62
@ Dragon Fang
Sand Veil
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Swords Dance
- Outrage

Bronzong Lv. 61
@ Quick Claw
Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Charge Beam
- Signal Beam
- Iron Head

Luxray Lv. 62
@ Magnet
Intimidate
Serious Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Spark
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Fang

Typhlosion Lv. 62
@ Wise Glasses
Blaze
Quiet Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Rollout

Empoleon Lv. 63
@ Wave Incense
Torrent
Quiet Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Grass Knot

So... This is my team. I say nothing in particular since I just picked Pokemon I thought I'd like. I don't really play competitively since I realized I'm not great at strategy ever since NetBattle came out. So really I just use this team in-game. Just wondering what everyone thinks. I'm really not impressed with Bronzong like I thought I'd be, so I'm considering replacing him soon.
I hate to post again but nobody said anything about my team.

Venom: Bring in two guys with varying weather conditions, and then bring in a Clefable@Life Orb (with magic guard to negate the health drain and painful weather), and give it moves to take advantage of the weather conditions (i.e. Hail-> Blizzard, Sun-> Solarbeam, Rain-> Thunder)

just a suggestion though...

Venom: Bring in two guys with varying weather conditions, and then bring in a Clefable@Life Orb (with magic guard to negate the health drain and painful weather), and give it moves to take advantage of the weather conditions (i.e. Hail-> Blizzard, Sun-> Solarbeam, Rain-> Thunder)

just a suggestion though...

ok I will try that thanks for the advise.

Mismagius Lv. 64
@ Leftovers
Levitate
Quirky Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split / Calm Mind / Thunder Wave

I'll try to go with what you already started. Adding Pain Split helps survivability, Calm Mind can allow you to sweep easier, and Thunder Wave is a great double status threat to slow down Special Attackers.

Garchomp Lv. 62
@ Life Orb
Sand Veil
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
- Outrage / Dragon Claw

After one Swords Dance, a Life Orb Garchomp is a seriously powerful attacker. I would use Fire Fang over Flamethrower despite the nature, after a Swords Dance it will be more powerful. Dragon Claw is an option if you don't want to be locked into Outraging

Bronzong Lv. 61
@ Quick Claw
Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Charge Beam
- Signal Beam
- Iron Head

I would probably start over here. Terrible nature, and Bronzong is not really suited to try and sweep. Granted a few Charge Beam boosts would make him pretty dangerous if you walled the opposing Poke, but it's more trouble than it's worth

Luxray Lv. 62
@ Choice Band
Intimidate
Serious Nature
- Crunch
- Spark
- Quick Attack / Return
- Ice Fang

I would try a Choice Band Luxray if you want to stick to the physical side of the Spectrum. Technically you could go either way with a neutral nature, but I think this will deliver more bang for your buck

Typhlosion Lv. 62
@ Wise Glasses
Blaze
Quiet Nature
- Lava Plume
- Eruption
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Eruption is a viciously powerful attack that you can use early in a battle when your health is high. Fire Blast or Flamethrower would work over Lava Plume.

Empoleon Lv. 63
@ Choice Specs
Torrent
Quiet Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Grass Knot

This looks good. Quiet is actually a reasonably good nature for Empoleon if you can't get Modest. Consider doing Choice Specs as it will make its attacks quite powerful.

I hate to see all the terrible natures, lack of EVs, and all that, but I think these movesets, or something similar to them, will be helpful as you play through whatever you have left to do in the game.

Venom, the most successful teams in the battle tower tend to be ones with a fast lead who can trick the opponent into a choice scarf, and 2 other pokemon which resist each others weaknesses and can set up to +6 or so and sweep. A good combo is Latias/gengar/starmie lead + DD salamence + SD scizor/lucario. lucario can even run agility as well. Peterko and Jumpman (on Smogon) both used similar teams and hit 2000+

Venom, the most successful teams in the battle tower tend to be ones with a fast lead who can trick the opponent into a choice scarf, and 2 other pokemon which resist each others weaknesses and can set up to +6 or so and sweep. A good combo is Latias/gengar/starmie lead + DD salamence + SD scizor/lucario. lucario can even run agility as well. Peterko and Jumpman (on Smogon) both used similar teams and hit 2000+

That set up would be easier for me seeing as I already have both a DD salamence and SD scizor IV breed and EV trained. All I would have to do is get one of those leads. thanks for the help.

This will be my HG team:
Gliscor:Lum berry: Stealth rock, Earthquake, Aerial ace, Roost
Feraligatr:Life orb: Ice punch, Waterfall, Crunch, Swords dance
Meganium:Leftovers: Leech seed, Synthesis, Aromatherapy, Energy ball
Drifblim:Salac berry: Stockpile, Baton pass, Will-o-wisp, Shadow ball
Jolteon:Magnet: Thunderbolt, Agility, Baton pass, Thunder wave
Heracross:Choice scarf: Close combat, Mega horn, Night slash, Stone edge

Any way to improve it?

This will be my HG team:
Gliscor:Lum berry: Stealth rock, Earthquake, Aerial ace, Roost
Feraligatr:Life orb: Ice punch, Waterfall, Crunch, Swords dance
Meganium:Leftovers: Leech seed, Synthesis, Aromatherapy, Energy ball
Drifblim:Salac berry: Stockpile, Baton pass, Will-o-wisp, Shadow ball
Jolteon:Magnet: Thunderbolt, Agility, Baton pass, Thunder wave
Heracross:Choice scarf: Close combat, Mega horn, Night slash, Stone edge

Any way to improve it?

I would get a fire type or at least fire type attacks in there somewhere. I wouldn't bother with Stealth Rock...Gliscor also can be in Baton Pass chains, if that interests you...Jolteon and Gliscor probably want Leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom