• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

My Team:
(Note: This team is designed to have all HMs so I won't need to go to the PC when necessary. I will eventually get rid of the more useless ones like Whirlpool since we only need it in one place or 2 places.)

Feraligatr(Bloo)
- Dragon Claw (For Clair/Lance)
- Surf (I need a surfer)
- Waterfall (This is an attack that gets STAB + Feraligatr's high attack = Win!)
- Ice Fang/Ice Punch

Gengar (Boo!)
- Shadow Ball (I need a STAB move)
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
Yes, this is very predictable on Gengar competitively, but I'm using it in-game
Looks good.

Donphan (Amber)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Strength
- Fire Fang
Fire Fang is a tad more useful. If you're up against a Dragon, Ice Shard may not be able to OHKO it. Not only that, Ice Shard is one of Donphan's egg moves.

Kingdra (Shelly)
- Dragon Dance (Yes, a classic!)
- Outrage (DD + Outrage + STAB = Win!)
- Waterfall (STAB + Waterfall + DD = Another Win!)
- Draco Meteor
This Kingdra you're using is primarily physical. You can use Draco Meteor to damage a few physical walls severely.

Venusaur (Saur) Yes, I know, the nickname is simple, but oh well!
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Rock Climb (Yep, I have to put it here)
True, Giga Drain restores HP, but its low base power makes it not worth using.

Skarmory (Skar) Yes, another simple name.
- Fly
- Steel Wing
- Rock Smash
- Cut
Yep, my HM slave. Can't do anything about it. But this could still come in handy, ya know.
HM slaves are useful, even though I don't use them myself. That's good thinking.

Changes and comments in bold.

Last edited:

My Team:
(Note: This team is designed to have all HMs so I won't need to go to the PC when necessary. I will eventually get rid of the more useless ones like Whirlpool since we only need it in one place or 2 places.)

Feraligatr(Bloo)
- Dragon Claw (For Clair/Lance)
- Surf (I need a surfer)
- Waterfall (This is an attack that gets STAB + Feraligatr's high attack = Win!)
- Whirlpool (Sadly, it must go here, but since I won't need it often, I'll eventually replace it with Ice Beam/ idk. Any tips on what should go here?)

Gengar (Boo!)
- Shadow Ball (I need a STAB move)
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
Yes, this is very predictable on Gengar competitively, but I'm using it in-game

Donphan (Amber)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Strength
- Ice Shard/ Fire Fang (What do you guys think? I have a brother that I battle with, and he has a nasty Scizor, so that's why I have Fire Fang, but what's more useful?)

Kingdra (Shelly)
- Dragon Dance (Yes, a classic!)
- Outrage (DD + Outrage + STAB = Win!)
- Waterfall (STAB + Waterfall + DD = Another Win!)
- Dragon Pulse/ Draco Meteor (I'm stuck on this. What should I pick? DP is Sp. ATK with good accuracy, but DM is a stronger SP. ATK with worse accuracy and lowers my Sp. ATK. Suggestions?)

Venusaur (Saur) Yes, I know, the nickname is simple, but oh well!
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball/ Giga Drain (Which one?)
- Leaf Storm
- Rock Climb (Yep, I have to put it here)

Skarmory (Skar) Yes, another simple name.
- Fly
- Steel Wing
- Rock Smash
- Cut
Yep, my HM slave. Can't do anything about it. But this could still come in handy, ya know.

I'm trading over all of my pokemon excluding my starter. I have them all bred and ready to go. Plus, 4 of them are shiny! I know, I'm pretty spoiled, hee hee. Well please comment on which moves should go where. Thanks!

HM slaves are useful - I usually have one in my party just to use them, but never battle them if I'm competing or battling via wifi.

As for your Feraligator's whirlpool attack, I would recommend replacing it with rain dance. It makes all water type moves 50% more effective.
This is to advantage of both your Feraligator AND your Kingdra.
Rain Dance is TM18

You don't have an electric type Pokemon, so why not use a TM25 and teach Gengar thundar? Thundar ALWAYS hits during Rain Dance.

Also, far your Gengar is concerned, it may be to your advantage to teach it via move tutor or TMs moves like Hypnosis and Dream Eater. This way you can put your enemy to sleep, and drain their HP at the same time.

Can also be useful if you have a high HP opponent and need to widdle down their HP (such as a Chancey, per say)

You could also benefit from teaching your Vensaur Toxic. Not Poisonpowder, but Toxic.

Just some of my advice :3
Hope I helped! ^_^

Here is my current team that im playing with on LeafGreen.

Charmeleon
Lvl. 34
Relaxed Nature
Scratch
Mega Punch
Flamethrower
Metal Claw

Nidoking
Lvl. 33
Modest Nature
Dig
Peck
Thrash
Brick Break

Kadabra
Lvl. 34
Sassy Nature
Shock Wave
Confusion
Disable
Psybeam

Raichu
Lvl. 30
Rash Nature
Thundershock
Quick Attack
Brick Break
Flash

Fearow
Lvl. 29
Timid Nature
Peck
Pursuit
Aerial Ace
Fury Attack

Starmie
Lvl. 26
Naughty Nature
Water Pulse
Thunderbolt
Recover
Surf

I will be dropping Fearow once I am able to learn Fly. I will likely switch it out with Dratini or Exeggutor.

In-game team? Alright here's my team I'm using in Diamond. Haven't decided on move pools set in stone yet though.

Infernape Lv. 77

Luxray Lv. 61

Floatzel Lv. 61

Skuntank Lv 60

Staraptor Lv. 60

Leafeon Lv. 42

And my HM Slave is Bibarel with Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Strength and Cut. He's only level 16. Floatzel has Surf and Waterfall, Staraptor has Fly.

Changes and comments in bold.

HM slaves are useful - I usually have one in my party just to use them, but never battle them if I'm competing or battling via wifi.

As for your Feraligator's whirlpool attack, I would recommend replacing it with rain dance. It makes all water type moves 50% more effective.
This is to advantage of both your Feraligator AND your Kingdra.
Rain Dance is TM18

You don't have an electric type Pokemon, so why not use a TM25 and teach Gengar thundar? Thundar ALWAYS hits during Rain Dance.

Also, far your Gengar is concerned, it may be to your advantage to teach it via move tutor or TMs moves like Hypnosis and Dream Eater. This way you can put your enemy to sleep, and drain their HP at the same time.

Can also be useful if you have a high HP opponent and need to widdle down their HP (such as a Chancey, per say)

You could also benefit from teaching your Vensaur Toxic. Not Poisonpowder, but Toxic.

Just some of my advice :3
Hope I helped! ^_^

Ok, thanks guys! You both helped!

Hey all, first time posting. Just wondering how you guys feel about the team I'm planning for SoulSilver.

Typhlosion
Sunny Day
SolarBeam
Flamethrower
Eruption

Lugia
Shadow Ball
Aeroblast
Psychic
Fly/Calm Mind

Raikou
Thunder
Rain Dance
Extrasensory
Thunder Wave

Nidoking
Megahorn
Eathquake
Poison Jab
Rock Climb/Super Fang

Omastar
Surf
Hydro Pump
Whirlpool/Ice Beam
Waterfall/AncientPower

Scizor
X-Scissor
Cut/Iron Head
Strength/Swords Dance
Rock Smash/U-Turn

Not going to have an HM slave so once I'm done needing any given HM I'll remove it and teach it back the move next to it in the list.

Hi, I need help. I'm trying to think of a move to replace one of my Torterra moves. The move I want out is Wood Hammer. Sure, it's powerful, but the recoil is getting to be too much to work with. I need some suggestions on what to replace Wood Hammer with. Here's my Torterra:

Torterra (Razor)
Level: 79
Held Item: Leftovers
Hasty Nature
Somewhat Stubborn
HP: 259
Attack: 196
Defense: 177
Sp. Attack: 157
Sp. Defense: 165
Speed: 149
Attacks:
Crunch (15)
Earthquake (14)
Wood Hammer (15)
Leaf Storm (7)

I want Wood Hammer gone, but I'm not sure what move to replace it with. I have a few ideas that I'll list, but I want some feedback on this. I'm debating between a Physical or Speical move, although Physical is what I'm leaning towards. Here area few ideas I had.

Replacement Moves:
Solarbeam
Iron Tail
Return
Stone Edge
Rock Climb
Earth Power
Iron Head
Seed Bomb
Outrage

Any suggestions would be nice. Thank you.

Hi, I need help. I'm trying to think of a move to replace one of my Torterra moves. The move I want out is Wood Hammer. Sure, it's powerful, but the recoil is getting to be too much to work with. I need some suggestions on what to replace Wood Hammer with. Here's my Torterra:

Torterra (Razor)
Level: 79
Held Item: Leftovers
Hasty Nature
Somewhat Stubborn
HP: 259
Attack: 196
Defense: 177
Sp. Attack: 157
Sp. Defense: 165
Speed: 149
Attacks:
Crunch (15)
Earthquake (14)
Wood Hammer (15)
Leaf Storm (7)

I want Wood Hammer gone, but I'm not sure what move to replace it with. I have a few ideas that I'll list, but I want some feedback on this. I'm debating between a Physical or Speical move, although Physical is what I'm leaning towards. Here area few ideas I had.

Replacement Moves:
Solarbeam
Iron Tail
Return
Stone Edge
Rock Climb
Earth Power
Iron Head
Seed Bomb
Outrage

Any suggestions would be nice. Thank you.

Seed Bomb. That's the only viable option.

-Solarbeam needs one turn to charge up. That's not good, especially concerning the fact that Torterra is slow.
-Iron Tail is powerful, but inaccurate. It does less damage than a neutral STABed Seed Bomb
-Stone Edge may be inaccurate, but I suggest replacing Leaf Storm with that. Torterra could use its coverage to hit its weaknesses
-Return, Iron Head and Rock Climb still do less damage than a neutral STABed Seed Bomb. In Iron Head's case, Torterra doesn't have time to make use of the flinch chance.
-You already have Earthquake, so I don't know why you put the Special move Earth Power there.
-Outrage does the same amount of damage as a neutral STABed Seed Bomb, but it leaves Torterra locked into it for 2-3 turns (plus you can't switch and leaves you confused after those 2-3 turns).

Also, now that I think about it, in my second Platinum, I have a similar situation. This time with my Infernape. His moves are good, but I'm debating about replacing Flame Wheel for something else. Again, I'll list his stats.

Infernape (Pyro)
Level: 51
Held Item: Shell Bell (for now, anyway)
Gentle Nature
Quick to Flee
HP: 148
Attack: 121
Defense: 100
Sp. Attack: 131
Sp. Defense: 92 (needs work, I know)
Speed: 145
Attacks:
Flame Wheel
ThunderPunch
Flamethrower
Close Combat

Like I said, Flame Wheel is the one I'm thinking about swapping. I'm at Snowpoint City in this Platinum, so I can also access a Move Tutor. My ideas are as followed:

Calm Mind
SolarBeam
Focus Blast
Shadow Claw
Grass Knot
U-Turn
Fire Blast

These are some options I have decided. Again, some help would be nice. Also, if you have any other suggestions, I'm open to them. Thanks.

Oh, and PlatinumDude, thanks for helping with Torterra. I've narrowed it down to Stone Edge or Seed Bomb, so thanks.

My Pearl team:
Spr_3e_348.gif

ARMALDO @Zoom Lens
Stone Edge
X-Scissor
Brick Break
Earthquake

Spr_3e_295.gif

EXPLOUD @Chesto Berry
Flamethrower
Hyper Voice
Shadow Ball
Rest

Spr_4p_462.png

MAGNEZONE @--------
Flash Cannon
Magnet Rise
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt

Spr_3e_344.gif

CLAYDOL @Leftovers
Cosmic Power
Psychic
Reflect
Earthquake

Spr_3e_321.gif

WAILORD @Life Orb
Earthquake
Amnesia
Water Spout
Hydro Pump

Spr_4p_389_s.png

TORTERRA (Shiny :D) @--------
Leaf Storm
Crunch
Wood Hammer
Earthquake

Detailed rates would be appriciated, thanks.

Atmey Detective

Amnesia shouldnt be on wailord, and EQ isnt that good. Ice beam should be on for sure, and depending on what its hidden power is, that may go on too. Life orb should move to torterra, and a shell bell on Wailord.

Well, I just started Soul Silver(and I mean JUST started, haven't even fought my rival the first time). So pretty much just looking for suggestions. My team thus far

Cyndaquil Lv. 7
Quirky Nature

ah, cyndaquil, my personal favorite Johto starter...
anyhow, if you've just started, get a sentret (one of the first guys you can get, and a useful HM slave as the game progresses, and it becomes a furret), a geodude (a rock type will help against falkner, and if you get the onix in violet, you'll do fairly well also), and i'd also look into a ledyba (again, one of the first guys you can get).

claydol- light screen, reflect, explosion, stealth rock
physical sweepers- gyarados, metagross
special sweepers- togekiss, gengar
wall- umbreon

I'm planning my SoulSilver Team (HeartGold is still up in the air), and I wanted some feedback. I'll list what my team will compose of and their attacks.

Typhlosion (Inferno)
Ability: Blaze
Attacks:
Flamethrower
Flame Wheel
Earthquake
SolarBeam/Eruption/Blast Burn

Pidgeot (Skye)
Ability: Keen Eye
Attacks:
Wing Attack
Fly
Mirror Move
Return/Steel Wing/Twister

Ampharos (Sparx)
Ability: Static
Attacks:
Discharge
Power Gem
Charge Beam
Strength

Espeon (Sol)
Ability: Synchronize
Attacks:
Psybeam
Psychic
Morning Sun
Shadow Ball

Arbok (Viper)
Ability: Shed Skin
Attacks:
Crunch
Ice Fang
Sludge Bomb
Fire Fang/Dig/Gunk Shot/Iron Tail

Cloyster (Spike if male, Pearl if female)
Ability: Shell Armor
Attacks:
Ice Beam
Surf
Iron Defense
Poison Jab/Toxic/Mud Shot/Protect/Avalanche

This is my ideal team for SoulSilver. Any attacks that have a "/" in it means I have yet to decide what to teach it. I could use some help on those Pokemon. Any help would be nice. Thank you.

Typhlosion shouldn't have solar beam, it'll have to load, and typhlosion is frail. Pidgeot with out Brave bird (an egg move) is completely out classes by fearow, who is also common.

That... doesn't really help much, coolking49. Especially your Fearow vs. Pidgeot thing. Two reasons behind that: 1) I don't like Fearow; it's too frial, and 2) I hate recoil moves, so Brave Bird is out of the question. What I wanted help was the moves that have a "/" in them (the last move, basically) so that doesn't help me at all. Anyone else got a suggestion?

Oh, also, before I forget, there were two other moves for my Typhlosion I was thinking of: Focus Blast and ThunderPunch. However, ThunderPunch seems out of the question because I won't be able to get it for a while. So any help would be nice. Thank you.

I'm planning my SoulSilver Team (HeartGold is still up in the air), and I wanted some feedback. I'll list what my team will compose of and their attacks.

Typhlosion (Inferno)
Ability: Blaze
Attacks:
Flamethrower
Flame Wheel
Earthquake
SolarBeam/Eruption/Blast Burn

3 Fire type moves on 1 poke would be pointless, Solarbeam will require a charging turn, maybe replace Flame Wheel with Sunny Day if you want to use Solar Beam since you'd spend that turn charging up anyway, boosts fire attacks even further as a bonus and helps Espeon's Morning Sun.

Ampharos (Sparx)
Ability: Static
Attacks:
Discharge
Power Gem
Charge Beam
Strength

Strength seems an odd choice on a special attacker, what are you going to do with HM's? Have an HM slave, in which case get rid of Strength here. Or have HM's balanced throughout the team, in which case you're missing a few. Perhaps throw on Thunder Wave, paralyzing foes could be useful for catching legends/slowing opponents.

Espeon (Sol)
Ability: Synchronize
Attacks:
Psybeam
Psychic
Morning Sun
Shadow Ball

Why Psybeam and Psychic? Get rid of Psybeam, not sure what to replace it with, maybe Grass Knot?

Arbok (Viper)
Ability: Shed Skin
Attacks:
Crunch
Ice Fang
Sludge Bomb
Fire Fang/Dig/Gunk Shot/Iron Tail

Physical Attacker? Gunk Shot over Sludge Bomb then. Earthquake is twice as effective in the buried stage of Dig, given the 2x weakness to Ground type moves for the poison type in the first place Dig would strike me as a very bad idea, either Earthquake or one of the other options.

planing my Heart Gold team:

Feraligator
ability: torrent
- superpower
- hidden power psychic
- Ice punch
- Surf

electibuzz or electivire
ability: static
- thunderbolt
- fire punch (move tutor)
- ice punch (move tutor)
- thunder wave

honchkrow(lunar)
ability: super luck
- roost
- night slash
- heat wave (move tutor)
- super power (move tutor)

magmar or magmortar(blaze)
ability: flame body
- thunderbolt
- hidden power grass
- confuse ray
- flamethrower

gligar or gliscor (assassin)
ability: hyper cutter
- earthquake
- aqua tail (tutor move)
- knock off
- taunt

tyranitar (Eliminator)
ability: sand stream
- dragon dance (chain-breeding)
- pursuit
- stone edge
- fire punch

after I beat the game, I will change feraligatyr for torterra because torterra is a beast and is my favourite sinnoh starter:

torterra (forest tank)
ability: overgrow
- seed bomb
- stone edge
- earthquake
- crunch

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom