• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Just so you know, Tyranitar learns Dragon Dance through chain-breeding, not by the Move Tutor.

fixed.

it now says tyranitar learnt it through chain-breeding

planing my Heart Gold team:

Feraligator
ability: torrent
- superpower
- hidden power psychic
- Ice punch
- Surf

You should change Surf for Waterfall when you reach Blackthorn City, I suppose you gave it Surf just because it's a HM, right? But in order to reach the League you will need both Surf and Waterfall and Ferialigatr is much stronger physically than specially.

Try changing Hidden Power for Waterfall, instead. Hidden Power's power varies between 30 and 70, and it's highly unlikely to get 70.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing once SS comes out

Meganium
Espeon
Arcanine
Garchomp
Empoleon
Giratina (Origin)

Meganium, Espeon and Giratina I'll get in-game, I'll be trading Gible, Growlith and Piplup early on so I can have my whole team pretty fast. I prefer to deal damage straight on, little to no de/buffs or any of that. Here's the movesets I was thinking of

Meganium
Energy Ball
Razor Leaf/Magical Leaf
Body Slam/Strength/Return
Earthquake??

Espeon
Psychic
Psybeam
Shadow Ball??
Swift??

Arcanine
Body Slam/Extreme Speed
Flare Blitz
Flamethrower/Heat Wave/Overheat
Dragon Pulse/Thunder Fang

Garchomp
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Draco Meteor??
Slash/Brick Break/Crunch??

Empoleon
Surf/Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Flash Cannon??
Grass Knot??

Giratina
Shadow Force
Ominous Wind
Dragon Claw
Aura Sphere

Last edited:

That, i never expected ANY competetive battler to say...
but thanks for the help. :)

What I hope they meant is that Earthquake isn't good...on WAILORD. It has always been and will always be one of the best moves in the game.

Here's what my latest team is. Most of these guys are still lv.1 and unevolved, as I'm just getting them set up for trade to my copy of SS I'm getting Sunday.

Feraligatr (Starter I'm choosing)
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Ice Fang (Replaced w/ Ice Punch via tutor)
-Giga Impact(Unsure, looking for suitable replacement move)

Typhlosion
>Rash Nature<
-Flamethrower
-Eruption (Stacking fire moves b/c of Sunny Day worth it?)
-Focus Blast
-Sunny Day

Tyranitar
>Quirky Nature<
-Earthquake
-Rockslide (Would Stone Edge be better...? Decisions, decisions)
-Avalanche
-Iron Tail

Dragonite
>Jolly Nature<
-Dragon Rush (Later to be replaced with Outrage)
-Aqua Tail
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake

Scizor
>Adamant Nature< (Once I breed it :rolleyes:)
-X-Scissor
-Brick Break
-Bullet Punch
-Arial Ace

Starmie
>Quiet Nature<
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam (Might replace this, dunno)
-Psychic
-Brine

As I'm not big with natures (and know nothing about EV's currently) I have no idea how this affects the individual pokemon I have now.

Last edited:

Avalanche is bad for Feraligator, as it has such a high speed. Ice punch is better. Bullet punch is a must for scizor. Dragonite doesn't have an electic weakness, its nuetral. Still Eartquake offers good coverage. Outrage is better than Dragon Rush, though. Rebreed your scizor, it has a horrible nature (+SpA, -Def), which increases a bad stat and decreases a good one. Typhlosion should have eruption and focus blast over toxic and double team.

Avalanche is bad for Feraligator, as it has such a high speed. Ice punch is better. Bullet punch is a must for scizor. Dragonite doesn't have an electic weakness, its nuetral. Still Eartquake offers good coverage. Outrage is better than Dragon Rush, though. Rebreed your scizor, it has a horrible nature (+SpA, -Def), which increases a bad stat and decreases a good one. Typhlosion should have eruption and focus blast over toxic and double team.

Avalanche has -3 priority.

I'm pretty sure coolking49 meant that avalanche is bad because it(feralgtr) has a high speed.

Thanks for the input everyone. Once I fix what I can tomorrow, I`ll edit my original.

Thanks, I`ll do some digging on move trees tomorrow to fix as needed, and breed a new Scizor. I`m guessing the nature would be better with -SpA? If so, considering his moveset, should I go for +Attack, -SpA?

Exactly, Scizor barely has any Sp.Attk's, but his attack is already really high. If you increase his amazing attack stat, and decreased his bad stat, then that would work out great. So you'd wanna go with an Adamant nature.

The one nature I always want to breed for but rarely ever get :rolleyes: Took over a boxfull of Ryhorn's just to get an Adamant one last time I bred for nature.

Edit: Updated my Original post. I'm off to find an Adamant Scyther. Thanks for the further help ^^

Last edited:

Right, my team, er.... Well, to start, they don't exist yet. I'm planning to start a new game in platinum and I'm going to Ev train them, chances are I won't breed for Iv's or any of that crap, now, on to my team (to-be).

Pokémon1: Victoria (Empoleon, named after Queen Victoria who was Empress of India)
Item: Splash Plate
Moves:
Surf
Rain Dance
Steel Wing
Blizzard

Pokémon2: Grace (Gardevoir, do I really have to explain the name choice?)
Item: Mind Plate
Moves:
Psychic
Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Energy Ball

Pokémon3: DATA ERROR (Porygon-Z, that's actually its nickname)
Item: Leftovers
Moves:
Hyper Beam
Ice Beam
ThunderBolt
Shadow Ball

Pokémon4: Siren (Frosslass, she lures people to their deaths, so do sirens.)
Item: NeverMeltIce
Moves:
Ice Beam
Ominous Wind
Blizzard
Shadow Ball

Pokémon5: Zero (Magnezone, Giratina and the Sky Warrior, 'nuff said)
Item: Zap Plate
Moves:
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Magnet Rise
Iron Defense

Pokémon6: Fyrefox (Ninetales, I'mvery unoriginal)
Item: Flame Plate (I think that's the name)
Moves:
Flamethrower
SolarBeam
Sunny Day
Will-O-Wisp

Okay, here's my team. Please rate them on your true opinion. Just don't use violent language.

Pokemon / Nickname / Level
Moves
Nature
Extra info

Riolu - Ryoku - level 23

Poison Jab
Bullet Punch
Vacuum Wave
Force Palm

Serious Nature

Don't judge him. He just hatched from an egg last night
--------------------------------------------

Empoleon - Ryan - level 46

Avalanche
Flash Cannon
Waterfall
Surf

Adamant Nature

---------------------------------------
Charizard - Tamotsu - level 47
Dragon Pulse
Fly
Flamethrower
Fire Blast

Sassy Nature

Typhlosion - TYPHLOSION - level 47
Rollout
Strength
Flamethrower
Flame Wheel

Hardy Nature

-------------------------------------------
Pikachu - Anthony :) - level 60
Brick Break
Iron Tail
Thunder
Thunderbolt

Quiet Nature

He was caught at level 22. Him and Infernape make great teamwork. I will never remove him from my team

------------------------------------
Infernape - Reji - level 71
Cut
Rock Smash
Rock Climb
Flame Wheel

-------------------------------------
Brave Nature

He was my starter. He singlehandedly won 4 of my badges. I will never remove him from my team

Lucario appears to have a neutral nature, so any move would work unless you've EV trained it for a specific fighting stat (Attack/SpAttack) That said, maybe replace Vacuum Wave with Payback (STAB&priority vs combating type weakness), and Force Palm with Aura Sphere (possible paralysis vs never missing)

Adamant Empoleon + Special Attack moves = wasted potential, assuming I've been listening correctly while here. Adamant nature is beneficial to Attack, but not to SpAttack. Change moveset to physical attacks or breed a new one, which ever is easier.

For Charizard, the main thing I could say is nature. The current ups its SpDefence but hinders its Speed. If you feel the need, rebreed. Can't rightly help with moves, to inexperienced with Charizards (I myself just pumped mine with an all SpAttack moveset)

Mr. Typhlosion gets the moveset mine was recommended: Flamethrower, Eruption, Focus Blast and Sunny Day. Nature's again Neutral, so breed if you feel you should.

Pikachu is fairly good. But a son with a neutral nature and Volt Tackle/Grass Knot instead of Thunder and Thunderbolt
might work just as well (and maybe better) Volt Tackle would be STAB and Grass Knot can combat it's ground type-weakness.

Infernape shouldn't be left as an HM slave IMO. Also, nature hinders one of his two good stats - speed. Anyways, go for Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Stone Edge and Aerial Ace.

Hope this was helpful, this is my first attempt at constructive team review ._.;

My Infernape isn't an HM slave :disgust:

Here is the team I'm thing of for when I get Heart Gold. I hope for these guys to be who I clobber the elite four with. So I don't think I have anything I wouldn't have yet.

Spr_4h_157.png

Name Typhlosion/Kidna @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Brave
EVs: ?
IVs: ?
- Move 1 Flamethrower
- Move 2 Dig
- Move 3 Sunny Day
- Move 4 Solar Beam

The Hero of the team he stared out as my little starter Cyndaquil. Flamethrower is my favorite move and a great stab attack. Dig I don't know I like dig. Sunny Day it powers up fire and powers down water and with Solar Beam it may be a basic combo but it works with a fire type.

Spr_4h_214_m.png

Name Heracross/Scarab @ Item Silver powder
Ability: Guts
Nature: Hasty
- Move 1 Megahorn
- Move 2 Brick Break
- Move 3 Rock Slide
- Move 4 Counter

The Lancer Scarab is moistly all about hitting things hard. Megahorn is a powerhouse stab move. Brick Break I like this move. Rock Slide a little surprise for flying types. Counter I don't know might help.

Spr_4p_473_m.png

Pokemon Mamoswine/Zero @ Nevermiltice
Ability: Oblivious
Nature: Relaxed
- Move 1 Ice Fang
- Move 2 Earthquake
- Move 3 Substitute
- Move 4 Rest

The Big Guy Ice and Ground are two types that I don't usually go without. Ice Fang a cool ice type move. Earthquake one of my faverouit moves. Substitute and Rest when in doubt stall.

Spr_4h_080.png

Pokemon Name Slowbrow/Einstein @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Own Tempo
Nature: Lax
- Move 1 Surf
- Move 2 Psychic
- Move 3 Ice Beam
- Move 4 Calm Mind

The Smart Guy Einstein is a mental Power house. Surf and Psychic power stabs that take out most Pokemon. Ice Beam extra type coverage. Calm Mind to make the mind stronger

Spr_4h_197.png

Name Umbreon/Shade @ Blackglasses
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Sweet
- Move 1 Faint Attack
- Move 2 Attract
- Move 3 Toxic
- Move 4 Return

The ChickDark types my personal faverouit. Faint Attack a stab that can't miss. Attract and Toxic annoying the bad guy. Return way not use the power of love thats how it evolves.

Spr_4h_082.png

Pokemon Name Magneton/Recoil @ Magnet
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest
EVs:?
- Move 1 Discharge
- Move 2 Flash Cannon
- Move 3 Thunder Wave
- Move 4 Supersonic

The Trickster Electric types are good for taking out water and flying and using Discharge is a good way to do that. Flash Cannon is to be used as a battering ram to just smack things with a stab that dos not get resisted buy much. Thunder Wave Supersonic to annoy people.

My Infernape isn't an HM slave :disgust:

Use vs. Move set. I realize you may not be using him for the purpose, but his moveset is 75% equal to one, least in my eyes. Still, whatever works best for you.

My In game Team

We have the Two HM Slaves.

Gliscor
Cut
Strength
Rock Smash
Defog

Golduck
Surf
Waterfall
Rock Climb
Zen Headbutt (Used often, I had trouble against Flints Infernape so I kept it on)

Then theres the Team:

Rayquaza
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Fire Blast
Fly
Used for beating up Elite Four and Battleground Trainers for Exp. Share Training.

Feraligatr
Ice Beam (Gonna be replaced with Either Hydro Pump or Hyrdo Cannon)
Waterfall (To be replaced by Aqua Tail)
Crunch
Dragon Claw (To be replaced by Whatever, I guess)
In Training, feeding off Exp. Share from Rayquaza's sheer power.

Scyther
Brick Break
Swords Dance
Aerial Ace
X scissor
Just In case I forget to Dragon Dance Rayquaza when I'm facing Bertha, who's a real pain. Aerial Ace Hits Hippowdon, Whiscash and Gliscor Hard, and Brick break deals with Golem and Rhyperior if they get through Dragon Claw. This guy is my Lv.100 Cornerstone, And I caught and raised him my own. I LOVE HIM!

Back
Top Bottom