• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

This is my current team for SoulSilver. I started SoulSilver late on Sunday, so I'm not very far. I just beat Bugsy but haven't challenged my Rival yet. This is what I've got so far.

Quilava (Inferno)
Level: 23
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Relaxed
Personality: Somewhat Stubborn
HP: 62
Attack: 39
Defense: 40
Sp. Attack: 43
Sp. Defense: 41
Speed: 44
Attacks:
Quick Attack
Ember
Flame Wheel
Leer
Held item: Shell Bell (so to be Charcoal)
Notes: I'm quite pleased with my Quilava's nature and such. His Defese goes up faster than his Attack, while Sp. Atk/Def and Speed all go up about the same rate. He was actually the first Cyndaquil I picked up; no restarting or anything. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Pidgeotto (Skye)
Level: 20
Ability: Keen Eye
Nature: Brave
Personality: Good Endurance
HP: 58
Attack: 40
Defense: 32
Sp. Attack: 32
Sp. Defense: 29
Speed: 31
Attacks:
Tackle
Quick Attack
Gust
Sand Attack
Held Item: None
Notes: Again, I'm pleased with Pidgeotto. Needs some work in some stats, but not too shabby.

Ekans (Viper)
Ability: Shed Skin
Nature: Mild
Personality: Strong willed
HP: 48
Attack: 35
Defense: 20
Sp. Attack: 34
Sp. Defense: 32
Speed: 29
Attacks:
Acid
Bite
Screech
Glare
Held Items: None (soon to be Poison Barb)
Notes: Needs work on Defense, but the small differnce between Attack/Sp. Attack gives her a lot of wiggle room for other moves. Overall, not bad, imo.

Flaaffy (Sparx)
Ability: Static
Nature: Timid
Personality: Highly Curious
HP: 61
Attack: 31
Defense: 32
Sp. Attack: 46
Sp. Defense: 32
Speed: 27
Attacks:
Tackle
ThunderShock
Thunder Wave
Flash
Held Item: None
Notes: Again, pleased with what I got in terms of nature and personality. Still needs work, but getting there.

Omanyte (Hydro)
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Mild
Personality; Quick to flee
HP: 47
Attack: 29
Defense: 42
Sp. Attack: 56
Sp. Defense: 30
Speed: 26
Attacks:
Rollout
Water Gun
Bite
Withdraw
Held Item: Hard Stone
Notes: I know what you're all thinking. Helix Fossils are found in HG, right? I bred an Omanyte Egg from Platinum, traded it over, and hatched it in SS. I was orginally going for Cloyster, but I found its movepool a little on the weak side. I need a good, solid Water-type. Besides, this little guy pretty much flattened all the Trainers in Bugsy's Gym, so I'm happy with him.

Anyway, I have plans for these guys, but I want some feedback at the moment. Let me know what you think. And in case you are wondering why I'm not further, it's because I'm taking my time to level up and explore. Also, because I'm writing a HGSS walkthrough, so I need to take it slow so I can edit it and such.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums, so I really appreciate your help: I am going to be posting my current team and the intentions I have for my final team (the one I'll focus more strongly for EVs and such).

Spr_4h_094_s.png

--GENGAR--

Level: 32
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Impish
EVs: N/A
Held Item: N/A

HP: 90
Attack: 50
Defense: 56
Sp. Atk: 84
Sp. Def: 57
Speed: 86

~ Curse
~ Night Shade
~ Confuse Ray
~ Shadow Ball

Description: Gengar is my favorite Pokemon. I know he isn't the most useful Pokemon in the entire game (or the best Ghost for that matter), but I have to have him in the party for that reason. I cannot find an item that enhances Ghost moves in my Pearl or Platinum files, but I would be happy to find one or take suggestions for a better option. If there are any TMs that would be helpful for Gengar - I plan to focus on Special Attack and Speed - please let me know!

Spr_4h_018.png

--PIDGEOT--

Level: 37
Ability: Keen Eye
Nature: Quirky

HP: 109
Attack: 72
Defense: 71
Sp. Atk: 59
Sp. Def: 59
Speed: 90

~ Twister
~ Fly
~ Pluck
~ Quick Attack

Description: Pidgeot is a temporary solution for Flying in SoulSilver, until she is replaced by Lugia. I rarely use Legendary Pokemon, but Lugia is one of my favorites and part of the "dream team" I'd like to build after working through this game. Currently I use Pidgeot for pretty obvious purposes, but primarily just to Fly.

Spr_4h_033.png

--NIDORINO--

Level: 35
Ability: Poison Point
Nature: Docile

HP: 98
Attack: 59
Sp. Atk: 54
Sp. Def: 52
Speed: 64

~ Headbutt
~ Blizzard
~ Dig
~ Shadow Claw

Description: I was worried about Morty and the Fog Badge, which is why Nidorino has Shadow Claw - still, it hasn't been a bad move for him. He's basically an attacker, but I've tried to spread out his moves. I am having trouble deciding between Poison Point (Lv43), or using a Moon Stone before reaching 43 to get Nidoking and Earth Power. As you can see, his Sp. Atk and Attack aren't much different - he also gets STAB for both of those moves - but I can't decide on my own! Any other advice for this Nidorino/future Nidoking?

Spr_4d_157.png

--TYPHLOSION--

Level: 37
Nature: Quiet
Held Item: Charcoal

HP: 113
Attack: 72
Defense: 69
Sp. Atk: 105
Sp. Def: 75
Speed: 85

~ Fire Blast
~ Quick Attack
~ Swift
~ Lava Plume

Description: I chose Cyndaquil at the start of SoulSilver, but I didn't use him as much as some of my other guys - Nidorino, Pidgeotto, Poliwhirl - and for some reason, I skipped Flame Wheel at Lv20, so I used a Fire Blast TM to make myself feel better. Typhlosion is pretty boring, but only because he's stricly Fire-type and I'm not a big fan of it. I longed for Totodile after the second or third Gym. Anyway - I need TM recommendations or other help with this guy, or advice for entirely replacing him (I have a nice Magmortar on my Platinum file that could use some attention).

Spr_4h_246.png

--LARVITAR--

Level: 39
Ability: Guts
Nature: Modest
Held Item: Exp. Share (explanation below)

HP: 94
Attack: 63
Sp. Atk: 49
Sp. Def: 54
Speed: 54

~ Crunch
~ Dark Pulse
~ Thrash
~ Rock Slide

Description: I have been keeping Larvitar from evolving so he learns Earthquake and Hyper Beam before my 80th birthday. I am not sure if this has a negative effect on his stat growth, but I thought I'd hold off until he at least learns Earthquake. I just love Earthquake. It's probably my favorite offensive move, other than Aura Sphere. Anyway - I would like to have a really badass Tyranitar, and he is going to be part of the final team I'd like to build. Advice greatly appreciated with this one. Also - the held item will change when I'm done leveling him to 42, I was thinking a Ground- or Dark-type enhancer for Crunch/Earthquake...or a Hard Stone, since he is Rock-type, after all.

Spr_4h_061.png

--POLIWHIRL--

Level: 35
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Calm
Held Item: Mystic Water

HP: 97
Attack: 53
Defense: 60
Sp. Atk: 42
Sp. Def: 55
Speed: 84

~ Mud Shot
~ Body Slam
~ Hypnosis
~ Surf

Description: Poliwhirl has been a pain in my ass since I picked up a Poliwag on my PokeWalker. I couldn't find a Water Stone anywhere in Silver or on the Walker, so until I could use another DS and my Platinum file, I didn't have access to a Water Stone. I would like to evolve Poliwhirl into Poliwrath, but only if Wake-Up Slap isn't as good as Dynamicpunch. I have kept Hypnosis partially because I know that Gengar doesn't have anything for Sleep, so if he is ever going to use Nightmare or Dream Eater, I am going to need the option with someone. Another option - I could use a different water guy or switch out this spot for ANYONE else. I like Poliwhirl/wrath/etc., but I was mostly experimenting with him because I had never really used one before.

The final team I'd like to use - not so much in SoulSilver, just in general - is also my favorite team of Pokemon in the entire series: Gengar, Lucario. Lugia, Tyranitar, Garchomp, and Gyarados. I am not asking for EVs for them at the moment - they're a future project - but I'd really like some help on this current team, or suggestions for replacements!

Thanks!!

Last edited:

So, preparing for the Kanto side of Soulsilver, and looking for the last pokemon to add, this will be my team once I'm done training them:

Arcanine
Blissey
Metagross
Lucario
Lapras

Don't have moves or anything yet as its just a plan. But yeah, what should my last 1 be?

First time I've posted my team. Any suggestions for them? And one last thing, I don't EV train.

eevee's SoulSilver Team (as of now)

Ampharos lv.31
thunder punch
growl
thundershock
charge

Onix lv.29
rage
rock tomb
sandstorm
slam

growlithe lv.29
bite
roar
flamethrower
flame wheel

Pidgeotto lv.23
fly
sand-attack
gust
quick attack

gyarados lv.30
bite
dragon rage
leer
twister

quilava lv. 30
quick attack
smoke screen
defense curl
flame wheel

I'm currently going for my 7th badge. My team as of now, and I think they could use some work. I'll level them up battling TR, though.

Okay, I plan for a 3-pokemon run in HG, what about:

Feraligatr
Ice Fang
Waterfall
Agility
Crunch

Graveler
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Double-Edge

Victreebel
Sleep Powder
Leaf Blade
Sludge Bomb
-filler move-

Along with the HM slaves. Won't get problems will I?

Default Team Avatar
Just wanted to know what people thought of my Team Avatar
These pokemon have not been fully leveled on my SS all my pokemon need items so open to suggestions

Aang-Togekiss attacks Flamethrower, Water Pulse, Air Slash, Ancient Power

Sokka-Marowak attacks Bonemerang, Sword Dance, Bone Rush, Double Edge

Zuko-Typhlosion attacks Sunny Day, Solar Beam, Flame thrower, Flame Wheel

Katara-Vaporeon Aqua Ring, Surf, Ice Beam, Rain Dance

Toph-Bastiodon Metal Burst, Protect, Stone Edge, Iron Head

Suki-Bellosom Leaf Blade, Leaf Storm, Magical Leaf, don't know a 4th move

Let me know what you think

Does your togekiss have hustle or serene greace. If serene grace, Awesome, If not, replace Ancient power with extreme speed.

Marowak is fine

Typhloshion should get rid of flame wheel for eruption, or if its level isn't that high, rollout,

Vaporeon shouldn't have rain dance, it weakens typhloshion. I don't see anything too good to replace it with, but don't use rain danc

Bastidon is OK

Bellosom, get rid of magical leaf, sleep powder and and moonlight are good. If you've already evolved it, though, it can't learn those moves.

Don't get rid of magical leaf until you have a move to replace it. And get rid of one of the bone moves on marowak. Give it EQ

Unfortunately Togekiss has Hustle which seems really pointless and as for getting rid of Ancient Power its there cause its the only Rock attack that i know togekiss can learn and since he's supposed to be Aang hes supposed to know a fire attack water attack Flying attack and Rock attack. I will get rid of rain dance and teach Vaporeon something else. Marowak has to keep Bonemerang because he is Sokka and he's got a boomerang, bone rush i could get rid of but do not know for what.

No EQ cause in Avatar Sokka cannot use earthbending

Last edited:

Hey guys. My team for Heartgold is

Slowking
Feraligatr
Crobat
Ho-oh
Heracross
Bellossom

I like it, but what concerns me is that 2/3 of my team is vulnerable to electric attacks. Does anybody have suggestions for replacements, or is it not a big deal?

And 1/2 your team is weak to water. Lanturn utterly murders most of your team, and it may have ice beam. Slowking can be subbed out for Dragonite, or maybe ampharos/jolteon/electivire. Heck, even a lanturn works there. Bellosom is outclassed by alot of grss types, like victreebell and exegutor, so I'd sub that out too.

Guys, I'm having trouble deciding on whether I should keep Lava Plume on Quilava or go with Flamethrower.

Flamethrower has more power, while lava plume has a 20% more chance to burn. In game, I'd say Flamethrower is better since immidiate damage is more important than status

Uh, plus I found LP hurts my team as well in Doubles, so yeah Flamethrower I'll keep. Thanks coolking :)

And 1/2 your team is weak to water. Lanturn utterly murders most of your team, and it may have ice beam. Slowking can be subbed out for Dragonite, or maybe ampharos/jolteon/electivire. Heck, even a lanturn works there. Bellosom is outclassed by alot of grss types, like victreebell and exegutor, so I'd sub that out too.

Thanks for the advice! It helped!

I have a team that i want to use competitively. Where do i start? What should i do? How should i do it? I have used this team before on many different occasions and have never lost in a 1v1 battle.

Spr_4d_254.png

Sceptile Lv. 53
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Jolly
EV: 141 HP, 122 ATK, 98 DEF, 128 SP.ATK, 115 SP.DEF, 169 SPD
Moves: Leaf Blade, Power Whip, Solar Beam, Frenzy Plant
Item: Miracle Seed
Description: Thoroughly Cunning.

Spr_4h_157.png

Typhlosion Lv. 53
Nature: Calm
EV: 171 HP, 104 ATK, 109 DEF, 136 SP.ATK, 119 SP.DEF, 132 SPD
Moves: Flamethrower, Heat Wave, Fire Blast, Blast Burn
Item: Charcoal
Description: Scatters things often.

Spr_4d_009.png

Blastoise Lv. 53
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Hasty
EV: 165 HP, 110 ATK, 112 DEF, 120 SP.ATK, 122 SP.DEF, 117 SPD
Moves: Aqua Tail, Surf, Hydro Pump, Hydro Cannon
Item: Mystic Water
Description: Thoroughly cunning.

Spr_4h_148.png

Dragonair Lv. 53
Ability: Shed Skin
Nature: Sassy
EV: 153 HP, 116 ATK, 99 DEF, 99 SP.ATK, 94 SP.DEF, 93 SPD
Moves: Dragon Rush, Outrage, Draco Meteor, Hyper Beam
Item: Dragon Fang
Description: Alert to sounds.

Spr_4p_026_m.png

Raichu Lv. 53
Ability: Static
Nature: Relaxed
EV: 139 HP, 114 ATK, 89 DEF, 120 SP.ATK, 95 SP.DEF, 112 SPD
Moves: Discharge, Thunderbolt, Zap Cannon, Thunder
Item: Magnet
Description: Often lost in thought.

Spr_4d_131.png

Lapras Lv. 53
Ability: Shell Armor
Nature: Adamant
EV: 228 HP, 122 ATK, 117 DEF, 110 SP.ATK, 120 SP.DEF, 94 SPD
Moves: Avalanche, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Sheer Cold
Item: NeverMeltIce
Description: Very finicky.

Last edited:

you may want to vary your move-types a little bit

sorry, i meant that your team's moves are rather... monotonous, Meaning, i suggest that you not pack each pokemon with only one type of move. In essence, take advantage of the movepools of each guy to give them advantages over it's weaknesses (i.e. i have a Tyranitar with Ice Beam (covers grass types) and Aerial Ace (grass and fighting types))

Back
Top Bottom