• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Why would i want to do that? To what?

so you won't get slaughtered by pokemon resistant to that type

anyway, i have a team to post

I was hoping this would be good for competitive play,and i can't make some choices

these 3 are slated to be on my team

248Tyranitar.png

Tyranitar Lvl. 55
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature:Rash
Stats: Hp/ 210 Defense/123 SP.Attack/ 162 Sp.Def/ 200 Speed/ 100 Attack/ 190
Moves: Crunch, Earthquake, Blizzard, Hyper Beam
Description: Loves to eat
Item: Quick Claw

190px-094Gengar.png

Gengar Lvl. 50
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Docile
Stats: Hp/137 Defense/ 77 Attack/ 92 Sp.Atk/ 151 Sp. Def/ 90 speed/ 140
Moves: Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Sludge Bomb, Hypnosis
Descriptin: Quik Tempered
Item: Big Root

105px-068Machamp.png

Lvl 74 Machamp
Ability: Guts
Nature:Mild
Stats: Attack/ 222 Defese/ 143 Sp.Atk/ 130 Sp.Def/ 159 Speed/ 115
Moves: Dynamic Punch, Cross Chop, Focus Punch, Thunder Punch
Discription: Somewhat Vain
Item: Razor Claw

Now i have 3 more spots on my team, and i'm still debating whitch mons will be on it, there are alot of them, so i'm just posting the names and moves of them until i've decided

Ether Ninetails with Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Will-o-Wisp and Confuse Ray, or Aggron with Iorn head, Zap Cannon, Rollout and Head Smash

Either Rhyperior with Earthquake, Rock Wrekcker Avalanche and Poison Jab, Golem with Earthquake, Explosion, Double Edge and Stone Edge, or NidoKing with (you guessed it) earthquake, Mega Horn, Thunder and Poison Jab

And finnaly
Either Starraptor with Bravebird, Close Combat, Fly and Roost, or Pidgeot with Fly, Roost, Brave Bird and Air Slash

My Main hope is that theres some kind of Double battle tourny, as that is my specialty, My Earthquake mons i listed (aside from tyranitar) as well as Machamp, are a Very good match for Gengar, He can levitate and hypnotise so i can earthquake and Focus Punch.

Please tell me if i should change anything or something, and is there some kind of Water/Phycic Pokemon i should Reeeely be worried about?

Requesting Move Advice

Typhlosion F, Lv 70
HP 213 IV 26
Att 133 IV 15
Def 133 IV 25
SAt 216 IV 30 (+nature)
SDf 146 IV 13
Spd 188 IV 29 (-nature)

Right now she's standing on Eruption, Flamethrower, Ember, and Swift.
I was looking at Earthquake, Overheat, Thunder Punch, and Shadow Claw.
With the middling Att, I don't know if I want any physical attacks, and if I don't, Overheat will be a desperation move. Also, it seems I'll be grinding at Battle Frontier to get Thunder Punch if I want that. Shadow Claw would add S/E to Ghost and Psychic, and let me at least do normal damage to all of the flame-retardant types, but would 1x damage on 133 Atk and a 70 damage move be better than half-damage from 216 SAt and a base of 95 to 150? Even with the crit boost, the numbers might be unfavorable.
Aerial Ace wouldn't help too much, it would only help against Water, as a normal damage attack, but I'm curious how a Typhlosion performs an aerial maneuver.
I would also like a Status in there, but I don't see anything that looks particularly useful. Sunny Day might not be bad, but it might also cost me Eruption if she gets smacked on turn one. Ty is fast, but with the negative nature, there will be faster out there even with stacked speed EV.

Ampharos F, Lv57
HP 198 IV 25-30
Att 117 IV 2x
Def 95 IV <6
SAt 167 IV 15-25
SDf 128 IV 23ish
Spd 104 IV 30

Right now she's standing on Thunder, Discharge, Signal Beam, and Rock Climb.
I really hate Thunder because sometimes Thunder misses and that's bad. Rock Climb was in there for map purposes, but now that I'm done with world travel (if I need stupid HMs again I'll make a proper slave) I can pop that off if I can find something better. But looking at the docs, Hyper Beam is the only non-Elec special that seems worth adding. Her Hidden Power type is Fighting, which would be nice against Ice and Rock, but I have no clue what her IVs are, so I don't know if it's a 60 or a 30.
I guess I can wait for a couple levels and try out Power Gem.

Dragonite F, Lv57
HP 190 IV 25-27
Att 194 IV 31
Def 137 IV 20
SAt 126 IV 0-4
SDf 158 IV 20-21 (+nature)
Spd 103 IV 11 (-nature)

Right now she's standing on Outrage, Wing Attack, Aqua Tail, and Dragon Dance.
Dragon Dance has never seemed to be worth losing a turn, especially with her cruddy speed. I was also thinking about dropping Aqua Tail for Waterfall, going from 90/90% to 80/100% + flinch chance. And that opens a slot on my Vaporeon that currently is my Waterfall HM carrier.
I see Thunder Punch listed as a Start move. Does that mean I need to trade a heart scale to tutor for it? That would give me an Electric option other than the Amph or tutoring it to the Ty. Shooting down birds and water types without becoming handcuffed to Outrage's side effect feels like a good move.

Vaporeon M, Lv65
He's doing a pretty good job standing on Surf, Waterfall, Aurora Beam, and Last Resort, but I'm looking at Shadow Ball to replace Waterfall if I move Waterfall to the Dragonite, since his Att is 129 compared to SAt of 207 (EV 31, +nature). I don't use Last Resort much, but I think I'll keep it since its high power should compensate for the low Att and gives me the physical option against a high SDf. I do wish I had an Ice attack on another guy, though I don't see many options amongst my guys.

Xatu F, Lv60
HP 182 IV 25-28
Att 111 IV <5
Def 92 IV <2
SAt 138 IV 15-18
SDf 99 IV 2-5
Spd 157 IV 31

Standing on Psychic, Ominous Wind, Confuse Ray, and Wish.
I seem to have a shaman on rocket skates. Her def is garbage, so I either need to make her a first-turn disruptor followed by massive SAt beats, or make her carry three first-turn disruption options (CR, Toxic, maybe Attract or Thunder Wave or keep Wish) with second-turn switch-out (she can learn U-turn so I can make it an offensive switch but it's phys so the damage will be trivial), or just let her stand on my roof and stare at the sun all day while I use a different pokemon in battle. That would be a shame, she looks cute popping out of a Love Ball.

Ho-oh Lv71

Leaving him alone for now; his IVs are 15 to 25 across the board except for 28+ in SDf.

Last edited:

sorry, i meant that your team's moves are rather... monotonous, Meaning, i suggest that you not pack each pokemon with only one type of move. In essence, take advantage of the movepools of each guy to give them advantages over it's weaknesses (i.e. i have a Tyranitar with Ice Beam (covers grass types) and Aerial Ace (grass and fighting types))

BUt this is why my team is set up the way it is. even when facing opponents that are resistant to my moves all i have to do is switch out, or over power them. the largest issue comes down to when i only have one pokemon left, and the current pokemon they are using can heal from my attacks, and this only happened once.

However, what moves should be replaced with what? I can see my Lapras having Earthquake, and my Blastoise with Ice Beam or Avalanche... but what else?

OK, im not gonna be able to follow this HUGE thread, so im gonna need ppl who wanna help PM me with ideas and stuff. PM!! or VM. but preferably PM. OK, so my team in the game is (still in progress) feraligatr, heracross, growlithe, flaffy, gloom, and pidgeotto. dont worry, they're gonna evolve soon. once i beat the elite, im gonna breed them all (exept heracross just gonna EV him right away seeing as i caught an adamant one :naughty: ) so i can get the right natures, get a pwnage moveset, and own the wifi world. i already found a good moveset for heracross, so i dont need help with it. so reall what im asking for help with is: best natures for them all (planning to evolve gloom into vileplume) and what the movesets will be.thanks 4 ur help!

Yo, back again. My team has been updated and such. Rather than editing my original post, decided to create a new one. I just sent TR packing from the Radio Tower in SS and got the Silver Wing. This is what I've got so far.

Typhlosion (Inferno)
Level: 43
Ability: Blaze
Relaxed Nature
Somewhat Stubborn
Held Item: Charcoal
HP: 128
Attack: 88
Defense: 95
Sp. Atk: 105
Sp. Def: 94
Speed: 100
Attacks:
Flame Wheel
Dig
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Notes: Like I said earlier, I'm quite pleased with Inferno. I plan to replace Dig with Earthquake once I get it, and his Focus Blast has hit every time I've used it (except for three times, but three out of roughtly 20ish times is not bad).

Pidgeot (Skye)
Level: 39
Ability: Keen Eye
Brave Nature
Good Endurance
Held Item:Amulet Coin
HP: 123
Attack: 95
Defense: 77
Sp. Atk: 75
Sp. Def: 71
Speed: 77
Attacks:
Twister
Wing Attack
Fly
Return
Notes: Needs work in Speed, but that's tbe, thanks to his nature. Going to replace Wing Attack and Twister with Steel Wing and Mirror Move, but I have yet to get there.

Arbok (Viper)
Level: 34
Ability: Shed Skin
Mild Nature
Strong Willed
Held Item: Poison Barb
HP: 92
Attack: 75
Defense: 50
Sp. Atk: 74
Sp. Def: 72
Speed: 68
Attacks:
Headbutt
Crunch
Sludge Bomb
Stockpile
Notes: Needs work in Defense, but that's why I taught her Stockpile, purely for the Def/Sp. Def boost in battle. The fact her Attack and Sp. Atk are only a point apart gives her flexiblity in her moves, hence why I taught her Sludge Bomb. I plan to teach her Ice Fang to combat against Ground-types, while Crunch is to combat Psychic-types.

Ampharos (Sparx)
Level: 34
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
Highly Curious
Held Item: Magnet
HP: 110
Attack: 63
Defense: 65
Sp. Atk: 99
Sp. Def: 75
Speed: 56
Attacks:
ThunderShock
Charge Beam
Discharge
Thunder Wave
Notes: Quite pleased with her. Plan to replace ThunderShock with Power Gem to increase the number of types she can trump. Not sure if I want to keep Thunder Wave or not. Any suggestions?

Omanyte (Hydro)
Level: 35
Ability: Swift Swim
Mild Nature
Quick to Flee
Held Item: Hard Stone
HP: 76
Attack: 49
Defense: 72
Sp. Atk: 94
Sp. Def: 52
Speed: 48
Attacks:
Rollout
Mud Shot
Bite
Surf
Notes: Like I said, I know you find Helix Fossils in HG. I traded over an Omanyte egg from Platinum and hatched it in SS. I originally planned for a Cloyster, but most of the moves I had planned were Speical ones, and Cloyster isn't fluent in that department. Plan to replace Bite and Rollout for AncientPower and Ice Beam.

Espeon (Sol)
Level: 36
Ability: Synchronize
Lax Nature
Loves to Eat
Held Item: Twistedspoon
HP: 106
Attack: 57
Defense: 66
Sp. Atk: 110
Sp. Def: 73
Speed: 99
Attacks:
Confusion
Psybeam
Shadow Ball
Flash
Notes: I managed to evovle him just under the wire. I evovled him at Level 15, just in time to learn Confusion. Anyway, going to replace Confusion with Psychic and Flash with Morning Sun. I might (keyword: might) replace Psybeam later on, but if I do, I'm not sure with what. Some suggestions would be nice.

Final Notes: Overall, I'm pleased with my team. I might also raise a sub-team as a backup for some of them. Some ideas included a Grass-type (Victreebel and Executor are some ideas, although I dislike non-starter Grass-types), perhaps a Scizor (I have a Metal Coat I got off a Magnemite), perhaps a Forrtress, the Red Gyarados, a Cloyster, Mamoswine, and some others, perhaps. But I want to know what you thought of my team. They've never lost a battle (or even a round), so I'm not worried about them. What do you think?

A buddy helped me out, and traded me several Eevee eggs. they have all hatched and I plan to evolve each of them into Gen 1, Gen 4, and Espeon Eeveelutions. I have just made my way past Violet city and am in Union Cave on my way to Azalea Town.

How do i go about training these Eevees to be competitive with the Total number of EV's balanced out equally?

Balanced equAlly? Each one to be competitive needs different evs, so you can't train all at once. For example, flareon and leafeon need attack, while jolteon and glaceon need Special attack. In game, don't worry, as competitive you need natures and ivs as well as evs

Balanced equAlly? Each one to be competitive needs different evs, so you can't train all at once. For example, flareon and leafeon need attack, while jolteon and glaceon need Special attack. In game, don't worry, as competitive you need natures and ivs as well as evs

How do i go about fixing those?

Simple, don't ev train al the eeveelutions at once. Start out 1 at a time, then once you get experienced do multiple. And as for the natures, you have to breed until you get the right nature

Simple, don't ev train al the eeveelutions at once. Start out 1 at a time, then once you get experienced do multiple. And as for the natures, you have to breed until you get the right nature

And the use of Vitamins?

If you use a vitamin on a pokemon, the evs it has in a paticular stat increases by 10, but only until it has gained 100 evs in that stat. So if I want to train a metagross in attack, I can save myself numerous battles and a whole lot of time by giving it 10 protiens, then starting to ev it.

Hi guys and girls, my mate started on heart gold recently and has got quite far. He choose chikorita as his stater but has a rash nature and will not start again for a better nature or breed. Thus my question is could any one offer up a good move set and EV spread for a Meganuim with a rash nature ?

I need help with my team. Badly. I've only recently defeated the Elite 4 in Platinum so their movesets were formatted to the weaknesses of the E4. I have two empty spaces left as well that I want to fill, but I don't know what with.

Empoleon - LV 61

Hold Item: Mystic Water
Nature: Brave
- Description: Often lost in thought.
- Surf
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Blizzard
Stats: ATK - 143, DEF - 145, SP.ATK - 167, SP.DEF - 131, SPD - 90, HP - 194

Houndoom - LV 57

Hold Item: N/A
Nature: Bashful
- Description: Somewhat vain.
- Faint Attack
- Fire Fang
- Crunch
- Flamethrower
Stats: ATK - 126, DEF - 74, SP.ATK - 157, SP.DEF - 117, SPD - 136, HP - 163

Togekiss - LV 55

Hold Item: Rose Incense
Nature: Gentle
- Description: Good perseverance.
- Solarbeam
- Fly
- Metronome
- Reflect
Stats: ATK - 75, DEF - 120, SP.ATK - 150, SP.DEF - 161, SPD - 118, HP - 168

Luxray - LV 60

Hold Item: Pecha Berry
Nature: Gentle
- Description: Sturdy body.
- Crunch
- Discharge
- Thunder Fang
- Thunder
Stats: ATK - 168, DEF - 109, SP.ATK - 135, SP.DEF - 132, SPD - 123, HP - 193

I have no idea what to do with their movesets. D:< They seem soo... bland to me.

This is my In-game party in Heartgold

King Lear (Kingler)
Level 60
Lax
False Swipe
Earthquate
Cut
Ice Beam

HM Slave (Gyrados)
level 30
Quirky
Strength
Waterfall
Whirlpool
Surf

Taxi! (Ho-oh)
Level 45
Timid
Fly
Sacred Fire
Fire Blast
Rock Smash

Espeon
level 58
Lonely
Shadowball
Psybeam
Psychic
Future Sight

Ariados
Level 63
Brave
Leech Life
Spider Web
Shadow Sneak
Night Shade

this is the team Im currently constructing:

Lucario @ Shell Bell
Aura Sphere
Close Combat
Dragon Pulse
Extreme Speed

Gengar @ Spooky Plate
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Curse
Psychic

Dialga @ Adamant Orb
Roar of Time
Flash Cannon
Sunny Day
Dragon Pulse

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Solar Beam
Psychic
Giga Impact
Sky Attack

Garchomp @ Expert Belt
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Crunch
Dragon Claw

Kyogre @ Wise Glasses
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Brick-Break

for those who dont like using legendaries ^^ I would then put:

Roserade @ Wise Glasses
Energy Ball
Solar Beam
Sludge Bomb
Swords Dance

Manectric @ dont know ^^
Charge
Discharge
Protect
Flamethrower

this is the team Im currently constructing:
Lucario @ Shell Bell
Aura Sphere
Close Combat
Dragon Pulse
Extreme Speed

Gengar @ Spooky Plate
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Curse
Psychic

Dialga @ Adamant Orb
Roar of Time
Flash Cannon
Sunny Day
Dragon Pulse

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Solar Beam
Psychic
Giga Impact
Sky Attack

Garchomp @ Expert Belt
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Crunch
Dragon Claw

Kyogre @ Wise Glasses
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Brick-Break

for those who dont like using legendaries ^^ I would then put:

Roserade @ Wise Glasses
Energy Ball
Solar Beam
Sludge Bomb
Swords Dance

Manectric @ dont know ^^
Charge
Discharge
Protect
Flamethrower

Nice team, but in the extras, dump Manectric. It's not good enough. Get something like a Raichu, he will be a good electric.

Feraligatr lvl. 35
-Surf
-Ice Fang
-Agility
-Crunch

Pupitar lvl. 31
-Scary Face
-Dark pulse
-Screech
-Rockslide

Xatu lvl. 31
-Fly
-Confuse ray
-reflect
-Me first

Ninetales lvl 31
-Fire blast
-flamethrower
-confuse ray
-nasty plot

Snover lvl 34
-ice shard
-mist
-seed bomb
-blizzard

Raichu lvl. 35
-Thunderbolt
-quick attack
-double team
-thunder

is this a good team for the Johto elite 4? I want to try to change Xatu and maybe Ninetales to something else, but I don't what to switch them with...

So I've decided that my entire HG team would have some kind of evolution released in the second season. Here it is so far. I'd like to know if it's well balanced, actually. Any kinks I need to fix? And which set for Ampharos would be best? Unless you've got something else in mind that is.

Togekiss (Modest) Life Orb
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
Feraligatr (Adamant) Choice Band
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
Tyrannitar (Adamant) Choice Scarf
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
Weavile (Jolly) Expert Belt
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Low Kick
Ampharos (Modest) Choice Specs
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Toxic
- Focus Blast
Or
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Signal Beam
- Reflect
Blissey (Calm) Leftovers
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam
- Softboiled

So I've decided that my entire HG team would have some kind of evolution released in the second season. Here it is so far. I'd like to know if it's well balanced, actually. Any kinks I need to fix? And which set for Ampharos would be best? Unless you've got something else in mind that is.

Togekiss (Modest) Life Orb
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
Feraligatr (Adamant) Choice Band
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
Tyrannitar (Adamant) Choice Scarf
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
Weavile (Jolly) Expert Belt
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Low Kick
Ampharos (Modest) Choice Specs
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Toxic
- Focus Blast
Or
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Signal Beam
- Reflect
Blissey (Calm) Leftovers
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam
- Softboiled

that seems more fitting for a competitive team, what with all those low accuracy moves.

that seems more fitting for a competitive team, what with all those low accuracy moves.

Well, I will be using it to battle with friends. But there are only three low-accuracy moves in there, no?

Back
Top Bottom