• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Help me rate my HG team:

Typhlosion (Male) Lv. 65
Relaxed nature. Highly curious.
HP: 187
Attack: 131
Defense: 135
Sp. Atk: 178
Sp. Def: 129
Speed: 168

-Double-Edge
-Flamethrower
-Blast Burn
-Earthquake

Feraligatr (Male) Lv. 64
Bashful nature. Quick tempered.
HP: 192
Attack: 172
Defense: 156
Sp. Attack: 134
Sp. Def: 133
Speed: 148

-Ice Fang
-Surf
-Crunch
-Hydro Cannon

Meganium (Male) Lv. 64
Lonely nature. Very finicky.
HP: 191
Attack: 149
Defense: 141
Sp. Atk: 136
Sp. Def: 149
Speed: 133

-Magical Leaf
-Body Slam
-Petal Dance
-Frenzy Plant

Gyarados (Male) Lv. 64
Serious nature. Hates to lose.
HP: 213
Attack: 185
Defense: 145
Sp. Atk: 97
Sp. Def 149
Speed: 136

-Aqua Tail
-Ice Fang
-Fire Blast
-Waterfall

Noctowl (Male) Lv. 66
Timid bature. Often dozes off.
HP: 237
Attack: 86
Defense: 87
Sp. Atk: 132
Sp. Def: 146
Speed: 134

-Psychic
-Fly
-Air Slash
-Shadow Ball

Ampharos (Male) Lv. 66
Attack: 132
Defense: 177
Sp. Atk: 167
Sp. Def: 160
Speed: 107

-Signal Beam
-Power Gem
-Discharge
-Thunder Wave

I've just started EV training my Pokemon with the EV training items from the BF. I really don't want to change any Pokemon in my team, but I'm willing to replace any moves or train a stat that needs some work.

Alright, I'm trying to defeat the elite 4 and to be honest I don't think my team is a high enough level but perhaps there are other problems I haven't seen. Any and all help is appreciated!

Rapidash (Quirky) lv 52
Item: Magmariser
Flame Wheel
Fire Blast
Stomp
Bounce

Floatzel (Bashful) lv 54
Item: SeaIncense/Nevermelt Ice
Surf
Waterfall
Crunch
Ice Beam

Toxicroak (Brave) lv 51
Item: Fist Plate
Rock Smash
Ice Punch
Rock Climb
Poison Jab

Garchomp (Lax) lv 55
Item: Dragon Fang
Aerial Ace
Crunch
Dragon Rush
Dig

Torterra (Quiet) lv 53
Item: Rose Insence
Cut
Earthquake
Giga Drain
Crunch

Luxray (Hardy) lv 53
Item: Magnet
Thunder Fang
Spark
Crunch
Strength

I can already see that Rapidash's Quirky nature might be a problem and I should probably teach Luxray something in the place of Thunder Fang but I'm not sure what. I was toying with the idea of teaching Garchomp Flamethrower as Rapidash keeps getting wrecked by Bronzone's Earthquake and to shoulder some of the burden during the first Elite 4 member.

Alright, I'm trying to defeat the elite 4 and to be honest I don't think my team is a high enough level but perhaps there are other problems I haven't seen. Any and all help is appreciated!

Rapidash (Quirky) lv 52
Item: Magmariser
Flame Wheel
Fire Blast
Stomp
Bounce

Floatzel (Bashful) lv 54
Item: SeaIncense/Nevermelt Ice
Surf
Waterfall
Crunch
Ice Beam

Toxicroak (Brave) lv 51
Item: Fist Plate
Rock Smash
Ice Punch
Rock Climb
Poison Jab

Garchomp (Lax) lv 55
Item: Dragon Fang
Aerial Ace
Crunch
Dragon Rush
Dig

Torterra (Quiet) lv 53
Item: Rose Insence
Cut
Earthquake
Giga Drain
Crunch

Luxray (Hardy) lv 53
Item: Magnet
Thunder Fang
Spark
Crunch
Strength

I can already see that Rapidash's Quirky nature might be a problem and I should probably teach Luxray something in the place of Thunder Fang but I'm not sure what. I was toying with the idea of teaching Garchomp Flamethrower as Rapidash keeps getting wrecked by Bronzone's Earthquake and to shoulder some of the burden during the first Elite 4 member.
This is a fairly standard team consisting of very standard pokemon. You may want to switch Luxray's Spark to Thunder.
Apart from that if your main objective is to beat the Elite 4, then level up and have them all at atleast 57 and then go for it.

If you have a choice for which fire, water, or grass pokemon you want to use why would you pick the starter pokemon? Their are much better pokemon of all 3 types out there. The starters are just average. (and by the way I wouldn't use grass pokemon anyway because they are usually weak and are easily countered by type matching.)

If you have a choice for which fire, water, or grass pokemon you want to use why would you pick the starter pokemon? Their are much better pokemon of all 3 types out there. The starters are just average. (and by the way I wouldn't use grass pokemon anyway because they are usually weak and are easily countered by type matching.)

That way every pokemon is average. Every pokemon has type weakness. Therefore you shouldn't take any pokemon? No!
Here's the thing if you're building a team, you usually build a team around one pokemon. It all depends on the kind of team. If you're going for heavy offense or a Stall team or a Bulky offense team. You need to be able to counter as many threats of the metagame as you can.

Some easy changes to ur teams would be
-replacing feraligatr with kingdra,
-replacing rapidash with arcanine,
-replacing typhlosion with arcanine,
-replacing gyarados with kingdra,
-not using Noctowl at all,
-not using Tyranitar (sandstorm messes up all of your own pokemon),
-and not using Houndoom (he just has crappy stats and their are better fire pokemon and dark pokemon out there such as Umbreon and Arcanine)

Badalcristiano:

Lol, I don't know what post you are responding because to your response is almost totally unrelated to my original post.

All I am saying is this: If you are going to pick a fire pokemon, why pick an average fire pokemon like Typhlosion? You would be better off picking a much better fire pokemon like Arcanine.

I just don't know why you would use a pokemon from the starters you get at the beginning of the game in your final team seeing as how every single starter has a pokemon that is superior to it and of the same primary type.
ex.
Blastoise, Feraligatr, and Empleon are all inferior to Kingdra.
Typhlosion, Infernape, and Charizard are all inferior to Arcanine
etc.

(PS. I never said anything about not using certain pokemon because of their type I just said that you should use the BEST pokemon for each type you want present on your team.)

This would be my first serious team build/EV training set, for Heart Gold's Battle Tower (and maybe Pearl's as well). My goal in Battle Tower is to earn enough BPs for the move tutors and various items; getting the star would be a bonus but not the most necessary. I'd like to get some feedback on it before I work on the breeding and whatnot. Since it's for Battle Tower and not serious competitive play, there's only three of them, and I'm probably not going to check IVs. Since I haven't actually started yet, I'm willing to switch just about everything around!

Roserade @ Focus Sash
Timid nature
252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Sleep Powder (bred with Victreebel)
Toxic Spikes
Giga Drain
Shadow Ball (TM)

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant or Jolly nature
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 Def
Dragon Dance
Waterfall (HM)
Flamethrower (TM)
Payback (TM)

Mamoswine @ ???
Jolly nature
Either ability??? (Snow Cloak/Oblivious)
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 Def
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Ancient Power
Light Screen

Some easy changes to ur teams would be
-replacing feraligatr with kingdra,
-replacing rapidash with arcanine,
-replacing typhlosion with arcanine,
-replacing gyarados with kingdra,
-not using Noctowl at all,
-not using Tyranitar (sandstorm messes up all of your own pokemon),
-and not using Houndoom (he just has crappy stats and their are better fire pokemon and dark pokemon out there such as Umbreon and Arcanine)

Were you talking about me, dementia, or both? It's hard enough for me to trade a Pokemon with my Diamond to evolve it and send it back since I only have 1 DS. Instead of replacing all of them, why not just train them more. If you train a Pokemon right, it can get better by a lot. So I really don't want to change my Pokemon.

Posted this on a different thread, but:

Thinking of doing an all Togekiss party, would look like this:

2 with:
Nasty Plot
Baton Pass
Substitute
Wish (GIVE ME OPINIONS ON SWITCHING TO AGILITY)
Sp. Def/Def 254

Walls.

and the rest:

Aura Sphere
Hidden Power (of varying types, including Ice and Ground)
Shadow Ball or Ominous Wind (need an opinion)
Air Slash? Might need a better suggestion to get more Super Effectives in.
Sp Atk/Speed 254

Offensive freaks.

Who doesn't love Togekiss? Get a good nature, decent Sp. Atk IV's, and some serious EV training and you can almost top 400!!

Fudgenuggets: Yeah I understand if its a pain to get certain pokemon but if you can somehow get it done I highly recommend it. My suggestions were assuming that you could look at the entire pokedex and just pick and choose any pokemon you want. Of course I understand if you have limited options.

Badalcristiano:

Lol, I don't know what post you are responding because to your response is almost totally unrelated to my original post.

All I am saying is this: If you are going to pick a fire pokemon, why pick an average fire pokemon like Typhlosion? You would be better off picking a much better fire pokemon like Arcanine.

I just don't know why you would use a pokemon from the starters you get at the beginning of the game in your final team seeing as how every single starter has a pokemon that is superior to it and of the same primary type.
ex.
Blastoise, Feraligatr, and Empleon are all inferior to Kingdra.
Typhlosion, Infernape, and Charizard are all inferior to Arcanine
etc.

(PS. I never said anything about not using certain pokemon because of their type I just said that you should use the BEST pokemon for each type you want present on your team.)

Infernape is better than Arcanine in most cases in OU metagame.
Infernape is one of the most used leads in OU.
Kingdra is not always better than Empoleon because they are used for different things. In March 2010 Shoddy ladder, Empoleon was used more than Kingdra (6.29% vs 6.26%)
Swampert is one of the most used leads in OU.

Also, you can't look at it from a perspective of "this pokemon of type x is better than this other pokemon of type x in all cases". Various pokemon fit into different circumstances. Suicune and Vaporeon are very similar as in they're bulky water types, but one does not completely wipe out the other from the game.

Can someone please check my team:

Gallade/Metagross?
Arcanine
Gyarados
Togekiss
Tyranitar
Froslass

Thanks. It seems like I'm missing an electric pokemon o_O

P.S: Move set wise I've got covered :)

Last edited:

Can someone please check my team:

Gallade/Metagross?
Arcanine
Gyarados
Togekiss
Tyranitar
Froslass

Thanks. It seems like I'm missing an electric pokemon o_O

P.S: Move set wise I've got covered :)

I know you've got the move sets covered, but can we please see them?

I know you've got the move sets covered, but can we please see them?

Oh .. idk if this is good but i did some research and yea :

Frosslass
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Vaporeon (changed from Gyarados)
- Wish
- Protect
- Surf
- Hidden Power

Arcanine
- Flare Blitz
- Extremespeed
- Morning Sun
- Toxic

Metagross(should I give Metagross some psychic move?)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion

Tyranitar
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Last Pokemon (can't decide between Togekiss and Magnezone)

Togekiss
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Fly
- Aura Sphere

Magnëzone
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden power
- Explosion

Thanks

So I'm at 7 badges in Heart Gold, and here, to the best of my memory, is my team:

Lv. 34 Ampharos (Magnet)
Thunder Wave
Strength
Thunderpunch
Discharge

My Amphy's strong with Special Attack, so I need to replace Thunderpunch with something else. What could I possibly put there there? Remember, I haven't beaten the Elite Four or Clair yet.

Lv. 34 Slowpoke (Mystic Water)
Zen Headbutt
Headbutt
Yawn
Surf

Lv. 34 Heracross (Shell Bell)
Endure
Horn Attack
Fury Attack
Brick Break

Lv. 34 Quilava (Charcoal)
Smokescreen
Swift
Flame Wheel
Quick Attack

Lv. 34 Fearow (Sharp Beak)
Aerial Ace
Fly
Fury Attack
Pursuit

and then I'm training...
Lv. 26 Swinub (Exp. Share)
Icy Wind
Mud Bomb
Mud Slap
Endure

You'll notice I haven't used TMs much. This is because they're mostly one-time use, and I'm scared of wasting them.
Now, I'm not into EV training, because it takes way more work than I have the time for (being a part time student, part time hotel employee). So, any suggestions? I have a Graveler and Weepinbell in reserve, as well.

to Eternalx:
Oh .. idk if this is good but i did some research and yea :

Frosslass
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Vaporeon (changed from Gyarados)
- Wish
- Protect
- Surf
- Hidden Power

Arcanine
- Flare Blitz
- Extremespeed
- Morning Sun
- Toxic

Metagross(should I give Metagross some psychic move?)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion

Tyranitar
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Last Pokemon (can't decide between Togekiss and Magnezone)

Togekiss
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Fly
- Aura Sphere

Magnëzone
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden power
- Explosion

Thanks

Well, I dont know anything about strategy and tactics ^^ I usually simply put pokemon I like, that dont accumulate too many similar weaknesses and that can work out well together, then I tailor the move set in order for them to defeat those types against which they are weak, and sometimes benefit from STAB. Personally I like your team, but I'd choose Togekiss over Magnezone ^^ but thats just cause I find togekiss awesome :)

to The Dude (feels kinda cool to say that): Here all I can say is that aside from fearow (who I just dont like) I dont see any problem ^^ perhaps a wooper (quagsire) instead of slowpoke, but that'd be it. If I remember well I did the whole of crystal with just meganium, quagsire and noctowl (then dragonite), but thats no way to follow, just wanted to go fast. also shows that the three of them are enough to beat every single trainer in the game..as bad as that sounds :/

Last edited:

It IS awesome, but get rid of Roost. It's a waste of a move slot for a pokémon like Togekiss.

It IS awesome, but get rid of Roost. It's a waste of a move slot for a pokémon like Togekiss.

Actually, roost is a perfect move for a pokemon like Togekiss. Because of its bulk, restoring 50% health and temporarily removing its ice/electric/rock weakness is very powerful. I would replace Fly with Air Slash because Togekiss is Special-Attack heavy, and Fly is physical with low damage and is very easy to set up on.

Air Slash 30% flinch rate is also doubled by Serene Grace to 60% flinch.

to Eternalx:

to The Dude (feels kinda cool to say that): Here all I can say is that aside from fearow (who I just dont like) I dont see any problem ^^ perhaps a wooper (quagsire) instead of slowpoke, but that'd be it. If I remember well I did the whole of crystal with just meganium, quagsire and noctowl (then dragonite), but thats no way to follow, just wanted to go fast. also shows that the three of them are enough to beat every single trainer in the game..as bad as that sounds :/

Well, I would use Quagsire, but I just didn't feel like it. Besides, got myself a Slowking now. Definitely intending on using my dear friend Quaggy when I get Soul Silver. And I'll take your advice and use Meganium, not Feraligatr then, too.

Back
Top Bottom