• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

@Johto Trainer: Moved your post to this thread...since it kinda belongs here.

I really dont think the battle tower is in game. None the less, its here, so I might as well rate it. No need for rapid spin on starmie, so add a coverage move instead. Again, no need for stealth rock, so replace it. If you dont want to lose your tm then dont, but starmie can learn rapid spin through heart scale, so add coverage. You dont need to rapid spin because nothing on your team hates entry hazards. I would use occa on Gross for heatran, or just lead with starmie.

Aipom is lv. 16
Slowpoke is lv. 15
Magikarp is lv. 17
Togepi is lv. 17
Quilava is lv. 19
Heracross is lv. 16

Mahop is in the box lv. 16, finally caught ditto. i shouldnt evolve togepi until i beat whitney because of rollout, right? And yes i know magikarp is a lame-o, but magikarp will evolve at level 20 into a beastly gyarados before i beat the third gym ;)

Okay, mega update from before. I have beaten all the Kanto Gym Leaders except Blue. However, I've decided to do some training before then. I have modified my team quite a bit in moves, levels, and held items. However, I am open to advice. I'm going to use the E4 as training (since I've pretty much clobbered every Trainer in Kanto). Any advice is welcome. My team is below. Also, I've managed to hoard many PP Ups throughout the journey, so advice where they should go is also welcome. I've got 17 left (originally had over 20). Thanks.

Name: Typhlosion (Inferno)
Level: 65
Ability: Blaze
Nature/Characteristic: Relaxed/Somewhat Stubborn
Item: Wide Lens
Attacks:
Eruption (6 PP)
Flamethrower (15 PP)
Earthquake (12 PP)
Focus Blast (5 PP)

Notes: I like my Typhlosion's Nature and Characteristic. I'm defensively minded, so the boost to Defense makes him one the most durable in my team. I taught him Eruption and Earthquake for heavy hitting power (he used to have Flame Wheel and Dig). Also, Flame Wheel wasn't cutting it anymore. I was going to keep it originally, but decided I needed more firepower. I'm pretty set on him, but advice is fine.

Name: Nidoking (Crash)
Level: 54
Ability: Poison Point
Nature/Characteristic: Modest/Very Finicky
Item: King's Rock
Attacks:
Poison Jab (20 PP)
Shadow Ball (15 PP)
Thunderbolt (15 PP)
Earth Power (12 PP)

Notes: The reason why my Nidoking has three Special Attacks is because his Special Attack is far higher than his Attack (about a 20+ point difference). I taught him Shadow Ball to fight Psychic-types and Thunderbolt to fight Water-types. However, any advice is welcome.

Name: Lanturn (Sparx)
Level: 55
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature/Characteristic: Careful/Scatters things often
Item: Wise Glasses
Attacks:
Charge Beam (12 PP)
Signal Beam (15 PP)
Surf (15 PP)
Ice Beam (12 PP)

Notes: I'm pretty well set on her. Her HP is enormous, but her other stats are barely scratching 100. I gave her the Wise Glasses to up her Special Attacks. Again, advice is welcome, but I'm pretty well set for her.

Name: Tauros (Rampage)
Ability: Intimidate
Nature/Characteristic: Bashful/Likes the thrash about
Item: Leftovers
Attacks:
Return (20 PP)
Strength (15 PP)
Zen Headbutt (15 PP)
Earthquake (12 PP)

Notes: Rampage is my tank/physical sweeper. His Attack, Defense, and Speed are astronomical, making him quite durable. I decided to get rid of Iron Tail for Return. I get STAB from it and it has a higher base power (102, if I'm not mistaken, since his Friendship is very high), plus better accuracy. I tend to trade power for accuracy. I'm set on him, but I'm open to suggestions.

Name: Mammoswine (Tundra)
Ability: Oblivious
Nature/Characteristic: Adamant/Alert to sounds
Item: Muscle Band
Attacks:
Rock Slide (12 PP)
Earthquake (12 PP)
Ice Fang (15 PP)
Avalanche (12 PP)

Notes: Mammoswine is my heavy hitter. I'm going to teach her Rock Climb so I can get to Red without swapping teammates. Again, advice is welcome.

Name: Skarmory (Scrap)
Level: 55
Ability: Keen Eye
Nature/Characteristic: Rash/Likes to Relax
Item: Amulet Coin
Attacks:
Night Slash (15 PP)
Fly (15 PP)
Steel Wing (25 PP)
Secret Power (20 PP)

Notes: Scrap is a replacement for Aerodactyl, giving me more durability and resistances. I know her Nature is fairly useless here (up Sp. Attack, down Sp. Defense), but I'm not going to breed her or anything, so I'm just going to stick with it (perhaps do some EV training to compensate for her nature, and the Pokerus will help there). However, if you have any suggestions on moves, that would be fine.

That's my team. Any help would be fine. Don't forget to help me decide where to put my remaining 17 PP Ups. That would be most helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:

team in SS for Claire/E4
quilava lv 28
dragonair lv31
jynx 23
amphoros lv 31
swinub lv 23
fearow lv 28
fearow and quilava are very replacable um where can i train the two ice types in johto?

@dallas: Just throwing a suggestion out, but I suggest you train your two Ice-types where their attacks can do the most harm (like the grassy area on Route 44, which has a lot of Grass-types, or the grassy patch on Route 48 just outside the Safari Zone gate, since it has two Flying-types, two Grass-types, and one Ground-type). The latter of the two areas has higher levels (ranging from 20-24), so try the former area first (the route just before Ice Cave), then work your way there. I spend a lot of time training at Route 48, as the levels there are the highest until you get past Blackthorn (and the EXP is rather juicy). Just throwing out some ideas.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Extra bits of info. On Route 44, you can find Weepinbell, which are very common. This Pokemon is good EV training for Swinub. Weepinbell gives great Attack Effort Values (2, to be exact), and Swinub is more of an Attacker than a Special Attacker, so it works great with Swinub's (and later its evolutions) Physical moves (like Ice Shard, Ice Fang, Earthquake, etc...). Likewise, on Route 48 you'll find Gloom, which are fairly common. They grant Sp. Attack Effort Values (2 Sp. Attack EVs, to be exact), so they'd be perfect for Jynx. Jynx needs to rely on Special Attack more than Attack, so battling Glooms would be good training for it to capitalize on its higher Sp. Attack. Just a little extra info to help.

Last edited:

@dallas: Just throwing a suggestion out, but I suggest you train your two Ice-types where their attacks can do the most harm (like the grassy area on Route 44, which has a lot of Grass-types, or the grassy patch on Route 48 just outside the Safari Zone gate, since it has two Flying-types, two Grass-types, and one Ground-type). The latter of the two areas has higher levels (ranging from 20-24), so try the former area first (the route just before Ice Cave), then work your way there. I spend a lot of time training at Route 48, as the levels there are the highest until you get past Blackthorn (and the EXP is rather juicy). Just throwing out some ideas.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Extra bits of info. On Route 44, you can find Weepinbell, which are very common. This Pokemon is good EV training for Swinub. Weepinbell gives great Attack Effort Values (2, to be exact), and Swinub is more of an Attacker than a Special Attacker, so it works great with Swinub's (and later its evolutions) Physical moves (like Ice Shard, Ice Fang, Earthquake, etc...). Likewise, on Route 48 you'll find Gloom, which are fairly common. They grant Sp. Attack Effort Values (2 Sp. Attack EVs, to be exact), so they'd be perfect for Jynx. Jynx needs to rely on Special Attack more than Attack, so battling Glooms would be good training for it to capitalize on its higher Sp. Attack. Just a little extra info to help.

i love the help but my game hates me and it dropped and cut off(cause of my dad) so my jynx and swinub are dead :'( now my team is gonna be, after i start over, cydaquil lvl 1, totodile lvl 1 chikorita lvl 5 eevee lvl 1 eevee lvl 1 and dratini/spiritomb/beldum/riolu/ or pikachu, lvl 1... thinking dratini for clair and lance, but pikachu for nostalgia... and riolu because lucario is the beastest pokemon ever gonna evolve eevees into luna/o and solicity/solar high(espeon and umbreon) also gonna have gible/ snorlax/ piplup/ feebas/ sneasel/ swablu/ heracross/ aipom/ and lapras in the pc who should i pick???

Also, Budew/Roselia lvl 100
Woboffet lvl 100
Breloom lvl 100
Torkoal lvl 100
sableye lvl 100
slowbro lvl 100
Going against E4 in diamond... any suggestions?

Last edited:

since i lost my soul silver game ill post some of the pokemon i remember having here.

Typlosion(Explosion)lvl 92
Blast Burn
Flame Thrower
Flame Wheel
Lugia(Jay)
lvl 50-70(i forgot <.>)
Surf
Fly
Aero Blast
wing attack?

Snorlax(Snore)lvl 50 (hard to raise)
(forgot moves)

Charmeleon(Drago)lvl 28 (got at lvl 5)

i had articuno(artic)lvl 50
but i had forgot to save DX

Pokémon: Salamence
Current Level: 100
Attacks: Crunch, Scary Face, Flamethrower and Dragon Pulse
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
HP: 0
Attack: 0
Defence: 0
Special Attack: 0
Special Defence: 0
Speed: 0
Hold Item: Dragon Fang

Pokémon: Lucario
Attacks: Close Combat, Swords Dance, Substitute and Extreme Speed
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Steadfast
Attack: 0
Speed: 0
Hold Item: Expert Belt

Pokémon: Garchomp
Attacks: Earthquake, Fire Fang, Dragon Claw and Swords Dance
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Veil
HP: 6
Attack: 252
Speed: 252
Hold Item: Life Orb

Pokémon: Milotic
Current Level: 50
Attacks: Surf, Ice Beam, Water Pulse and Recover
Nature: Timid
Ability: Marvel Scale
HP: 10
Attack: 100
Defence: 100
Special Attack: 100
Special Defence: 100
Speed: 100
Hold Item: Left Overs

Pokémon: Metagross
Attacks: Bullet Punch, Earthquake, Meteor Mash and Explosion
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Clear Body
HP: 6
Attacks: 252
Speed: 252
Hold Item: Left Overs

Pokémon: Tyranitar
Attacks: Earthquake, Rockslide, Substitute and Thunderbolt
Nature: Gentle
Ability: Sand Stream
Attacks: 3
Defence: 255
Special Attack: 8
Special Defence: 4
Speed: 2
Hold Item: Left overs

Whats your Opinion?

Im going to show my Sinnoh team, and here it is.

Bibarel: TM Slave/Tester Lv.62 Simple
Rock Climb, Rock Smash, Waterfall, Strengh
Item:Silk Scarf

Mightyena: Fast Hiter/Item Killer Lv.69 Intimidate
Payback, Bite, Sucker Punch, Emargo
Item: Dread Plate

Roserade: Energy Drainer/Shure Hiter Lv.81 Poision Point
Solar Beam, Magical Leaf, Giga Drain, Poison Jab
Item: Miracle Seed

Luxray: Stragetic Hard Hiter Lv.100 Intimidate
Thunder, Thunderbolt, Discharge, Charge
Item: Zap Plate

Giratina: Stragetic Legendary Lv.100 Levitate
Protect, Fly, Draco Meteor, Shadow Force
Item: Griseous Orb

Empoleon: Stragetic Hard Hiter Lv.100 Torrent
Brine, Surf, Hydro Pump, Hydro Cannon
Item: Splash Plate

Post Comments...:spin:

@Shiny Shinx: I moved your thread here where it's supposed to be.

Re: Whats your Opinion?

Im going to show my Sinnoh team, and here it is.
My comments in bold
Bibarel: TM (it's HM, by the way) Slave/Tester Lv.62 Simple
Rock Climb, Rock Smash, Waterfall, Strengh
Item:Silk Scarf

Mightyena: Fast Hiter/Item Killer Lv.69 Intimidate
Payback, Bite, Sucker Punch, Emargo
Item: Dread Plate
Embargo isn;t really all that useful in-game.f I were you, I'd change it to something like Fire Fang, for better coverage. Also, Crunch beats Bite any day.

Roserade: Energy Drainer/Shure Hiter Lv.81 Poision Point
Solar Beam, Magical Leaf, Giga Drain, Poison Jab
Item: Miracle Seed
Looks good, except you might want to change Solar Beam to Synthesis to heal off damage.

Luxray: Stragetic Hard Hiter Lv.100 Intimidate
Thunder, Thunderbolt, Discharge, Charge
Item: Zap Plate
I'm not sure about Luxray. Rain Dance might be good for Thunder's accuracy.

Giratina: Stragetic Legendary Lv.100 Levitate
Protect, Fly, Draco Meteor, Shadow Force
Item: Griseous Orb

Empoleon: Stragetic Hard Hiter Lv.100 Torrent
Brine, Surf, Hydro Pump, Hydro Cannon
Item: Splash Plate
Hydro Cannon isn't the best idea. Ice Beam might be better to get rid of grass types.

Post Comments...:spin:

@Magnus Prime: I hate to burst your bubble, but Mightyena can't learn Crunch anymore. He could back in Gen 3, but I think they've removed it from its move list in Gen 4. You can't even breed it to learn it. So Crunch is a no-go.

@Shiny Shinx: Embargo has to go. It's useless in-game. Try teaching Mightyena the Elemental Fangs (Fire and Ice Fang work very well with it). Sucker Punch is okay, but it's only good if it lands, otherwise it can be wasted (plus the low PP makes it unwelcoming in many cases).

Next, with Luxray, teach it Ice Fang over one of the other Electric moves. That way it can combat Ground-types (and give them a nasty surprise). Thunder is a good move, but I would probably get rid of it, especially with its low accuracy (70%). Another idea would be Charge Beam, since it has a 70% chance of raising your Sp. Attack, which would go wonders with a Charge/Thunderbolt combo.

With Empoleon, get rid of Brine and Hydro Cannon. Teach it moves like Flash Cannon for its Steel-type and Ice Beam for Grass-types.

Overall, you really need to expand your movepools. They are too one-sided (i.e. Empoleon has only Water-type moves, which would put it at odds with those that are resistant to Water-types, like Grass-types). Try to add different moves so you can trump different types, including your weaknesses. Doing this will help you greatly. Try looking on the Wiki to see what other moves your Pokemon can learn. Add more diversity to your moves and you'll be able to do more damage and overcome your shortcomings. That's my two cents into this.

@Magnus Prime: I hate to burst your bubble, but Mightyena can't learn Crunch anymore. He could back in Gen 3, but I think they've removed it from its move list in Gen 4. You can't even breed it to learn it. So Crunch is a no-go.
Oops. Forgot about that.

Mightyena can indeed still have Crunch, but it can only learn it as Poochyena (level 53, I think).

Okay I'm bout to challenge Falkner in SS

Cyndaquil{F}[Cynder] lvl 14
Tackle/Quick Attack/Smokescreean/Ember
Zubat{F}[Sky Owner] lvl 12
Leech Life/Supersonic/Astonish/-
Gastly{F}[Shadowcat] lvl 5
Hypnosis/Lick/Spite

I know I have to level up Shadowcat, but what else could i do to this team? When Bill gives me Eevee, It'll be Umbreon, my eye is on Swinub , and I probably won't use Togepi til it can be Togekiss... Um, I have the Kanto guide and it says Cyndaquil can have extrasesnory as an egg move... Any help???

Okay I'm bout to challenge Falkner in SS

Cyndaquil{F}[Cynder] lvl 14
Tackle/Quick Attack/Smokescreean/Ember
Zubat{F}[Sky Owner] lvl 12
Leech Life/Supersonic/Astonish/-
Gastly{F}[Shadowcat] lvl 5
Hypnosis/Lick/Spite

I know I have to level up Shadowcat, but what else could i do to this team? When Bill gives me Eevee, It'll be Umbreon, my eye is on Swinub , and I probably won't use Togepi til it can be Togekiss... Um, I have the Kanto guide and it says Cyndaquil can have extrasesnory as an egg move... Any help???

Not bad for a start. When it comes to Cyndaquil learning Extrasensory, it generally needs to breed with a Vulpix/Ninetales that knows it. However, your Cyndaquil has to be female while the Vulpix/Ninetales has to be male in order to obtain the move. But since you can't get Vulpix until at least after Whitney, and since most Cyndaquils are male, that might be a problem. Other than that, you're off to a good start.

Call me sad but im playing Pokemon Red. No emulator. On a GB no color

Charizard LV40
Fly
Slash
Flamethrower
Seismic Toss

Blastiose LV36
Surf
Hydro Pump
Headbutt
Skull Bash

Venusaur LV32
Vinewhip
Poisonpowder
Sleeppowder
Solarbeam

Raichu LV40
Thunderbolt
Thunder
Toxic
Mega Kick

Paras LV97
Cut
Flash
Growth
Spore

Yeah im going to now fight the E4 and i was wondering if i need to train a bit more

Richus Toxic is a bit good but if your the type of battler that wares down oppoents Toxic is the way to go.

Paris!?!? and its Lv.97!!! you could evove it if you want to but yeah I would deleat Flash for battles and put in like an attack that can get off using Growth with.

Back
Top Bottom