• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

in regards to held items, that's really your preference. I personally prefer the likes of Wise Glasses and the Elemental Plates, though i do like using the Rest-Chesto Berry combo (it's the equivalent of a Full Restore! who wouldn't!?). However, I would definitely recommend the Sitrus, Lum, Enigma, or one of those berries that boosts a stat in a pinch

You know heatran is the first pokemon to come out so I think stealth rock would be replace with dark void, and for swampert replace muddy water with take down and for espeon replace bite with calm mind

EDIT] never mind

Last edited:

Any Pokemon/moves I should change? Also, what items should I add. I'm no good with those.

Umbreon Lv.44
-Bite
-Faint Attack
-Psychic
-Assurance

Poliwrath Lv.44
-Dynamic Punch
-Hypnosis
-Surf
-Hydro Pump

Typhlosion Lv.61
-Eruption
-Quick Attack
-Flamethrower
-Lava Plume

Luxray Lv. 45
-Spark
-Thunder Fang
-Flash
-Crumch

Skarmory Lv. 57
-Steel Wing
-Air Slash
-Fly
-Stealth Rock

Piloswine Lv. 47
-Blizzard
-Icy Wind
-Earthquake
-Dig

This is for Pokemon Soul Silver. Thanks for the advice! Also, abilities don't matter much to me. Thanks again. ^^

Please rate my pokemon platinum team :

Swampert LV72 : hammer arm , Blizard , Hydro Cannon , Muddy water

Torterra LV76 : Leaf Storm , Frenzy Plant , Wood Hammer , Earthquake

Charizard LV90 : Fire Blast , Heat Wave , Solarbeam , Air Slash

Electivire LV100 : Thunder , Thunderpunch , focus Blast , Earthquake

Infernape : Heat Wave , Close Combat , Stone Edge , Blast Burn

Dragonite : Fire Blast , Dragon Dance , Dragon Rush , Outrage

Any Pokemon/moves I should change? Also, what items should I add. I'm no good with those.

Umbreon Lv.44
-Bite
-Faint Attack
-Psychic
-Assurance

Seems good, but 3 Dark attacks isn't good, you might want to opt for Quick Attack if you need that priority. Dark Pulse wouldent be bad either. Toxic if you want to stall, but ingame, it's not too effective. Add Leftovers

Poliwrath Lv.44
-Dynamic Punch
-Hypnosis
-Surf
-Hydro Pump

Okay, Surf and Hydro Pump has got to go, get a HM slave for that because 'Wrath's Sp. Attack is too low for it, replace with Waterfall. Dynamic punch, no, replace with Brick Break or Focus Punch if you have Hypnosis. When you beat Brock (I suggest you beat him first) Give Poliwrath Rock Slide from the TM he gives you. Add Mystic Water or something to make Waterfall moar powerfull.

Typhlosion Lv.61
-Eruption
-Quick Attack
-Flamethrower
-Lava Plume

Unforunatly, Typhlosion's movepool is somewhat shallow, keep the first three moves, and replace Lava Plume with Thunderpunch from the Battle Frontier move tutor.

Luxray Lv. 45
-Spark
-Thunder Fang
-Flash
-Crunch

Well flash has got to go for a start, Maybe replace with Iron Tail, it's movepool is kinda shallow, and spark with Thunder/Bolt, do catch the physicly defencive walls off gaurd.

Skarmory Lv. 57
-Steel Wing
-Air Slash
-Fly
-Stealth Rock

Looks good, get rid or Air Slash though, give it Agility/Iron Defence, whatever floats your boat.

Piloswine Lv. 47
-Blizzard
-Icy Wind
-Earthquake
-Dig

Ice Fang instead of Icy Wind, and Reflect/Light Screen instead of Dig.
This is for Pokemon Soul Silver. Thanks for the advice! Also, abilities don't matter much to me. Thanks again. ^^

Swampert LV83 : Hydro Cannon , Blizzard , Hammer Arm , Muddy water

Electivire LV100 : Thunder , thunderpunch , earthquake,Focus blast

Torterra LV79 : Leaf Storm , Wood Hammer , Earthquake,Frenzy plant

Staraptor LV85 : Aerial Ace , Brave Bird , Close Combat , Fly

Charizard LV90 : Heat Wave , Fire Blast , Solarbeam , Air Slash

Garchomp LV73 : Stone Edge , Earth Power , Draco Meteor , Dragon rush .

@ Hrvoje93. Um, you already posted this, be patient man.

Anyway, my Emerald team.

Blaziken (ChickenRun) Blaze @leppa Berry Level 45
Bulk Up
Brick Break
Blaze Kick
Earthquake

Walrein (WALLrein) Thick Fat @Mystic Water Level 45
Surf
Ice Beam
Body Slam
Waterfall

Banette (Vader) Insomnia @------- Level 45
Shadow Ball
Flash
Will-O-Wisp
Return

Crobat (GoddamnBat) Inner Focus @Cheri Berry Level 45
Aerial Ace
Steel Wing
Fly
Sludge Bomb

Camerupt (Hawtness) Magma Armor @------- Level 45
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Eruption
Explosion

Shiftry (DeMasque) Chlorophyll @Miracle Seed Level 45
Faint Attack
Fake Out
Giga Drain
Strength

Just at Victory Road now.

Last edited:

Swampert LV83 : Hydro Cannon , Blizzard , Hammer Arm , Muddy water
How well is Hydro Cannon working really? I always hate Hyper Beam esque moves. Also, Swampert is so much better on the Physical side. Try Waterfall, and Earthquake. Blizzard, I like. Gives it good coverage on the bulky Grounds/Rocks that whore Defense like no tomorrow.

Electivire LV100 : Thunder , thunderpunch , earthquake,Focus blast
Same applies here. No need for Thunder and Focus Blast. Bad accuracy mostly, and doesn't feed it's real potential. Try Ice Punch and Low Kick, or Brick Break (I prefer Cross Chop, but it's an Egg Move, and I DOUBT you want to raise this guy from scratch).

Torterra LV79 : Leaf Storm , Wood Hammer , Earthquake,Frenzy plant
GRASS GRASS GRASS. Dude, ditch all three, maybe not Wood Hammer. I like Seed Bomb, which is a Tutor move now, I believe. No recoil. Torterra also does fairly well with Crunch too. May not be your style, but you could always try Curse too. Leaf Storm does help as a randomly powerful STAB Sp.Atk with no MAJOR repercussions (as Torterra is mostly physical anyway).

Staraptor LV85 : Aerial Ace , Brave Bird , Close Combat , Fly
Dude, Try Return>Arial Ace. Cool STAB and what not, no recoil. I guess you use Fly outside of battle, which is fine. I like U-Turn so Staraptor can hit it and quit it. ~

Charizard LV90 : Heat Wave , Fire Blast , Solarbeam , Air Slash
Whoa, a Special Attacker. Solarbeam won't do much good unless the opponent sets up Sunlight for you. Try Dragon Pulse. Also, if you wan't two Fire Type moves, do Overheat and Flamethrower. Heat Wave and Fire Blast have so-so accuracy.

Garchomp LV73 : Stone Edge , Earth Power , Draco Meteor , Dragon rush .
Earth Power? I highly predict you getting more potential out of Earthquake. However, almost ALL of your team has it. Makes sense, Earthquake is a pretty good move, especially in game.

Anyway, my Emerald team.

Blaziken (ChickenRun) Blaze @leppa Berry Level 45
Bulk Up
Brick Break
Blaze Kick
Earthquake
Classic. Love it. Don't change a thing (except Flamethrower>Blaze Kick).

Walrein (WALLrein) Thick Fat @Mystic Water Level 45
Surf
Ice Beam
Body Slam
Waterfall
Aw, no Shell Bell? =/ It would probably help the whole Wall thing.

Banette (Vader) Insomnia @------- Level 45
Shadow Ball
Flash
Will-O-Wisp
Return
I wish I had any kind of input here. I've literally used a Banette once, and it was in Platinum's Factory. So I got nothing. =/ Maybe something to replace Flash? I like Toxic, or Destiny Bond.

Crobat (GoddamnBat) Inner Focus @Cheri Berry Level 45
Aerial Ace
Steel Wing
Fly
Sludge Bomb
See, I usually do this, but instead of having a counter to evaders, I BECOME the evader. Double Team is awesome (even if it does bum off Koga).

Camerupt (Hawtness) Magma Armor @------- Level 45
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Eruption
Explosion
HOLY CRAP HE CAN EXPLODE?! :O Outside of that though, he's basically Blaziken's move set with Explode over Fighting moves. If it works though, more power to you.

Shiftry (DeMasque) Chlorophyll @Miracle Seed Level 45
Faint Attack
Fake Out
Giga Drain
Strength

I hate how shallow Shiftry is 3rd Gen. :I Outside of going back in time and getting Nuzleaf Extrasensory, there's not much else to add here.

Can you see if there is something edit

1st pokemon to come out
Heatran Dark pulse,, fire spin, iron head

Magnezone spark, tri attack, flash cannon, Zap Cannon

Dragonite waterfall, ice beam, thunder punch, fly

Typhlosion shadow claw, Eruption, sunny day, earthquake

Espeon Iron tail, Physic, calm mind, shadow ball

Swampert, earthquake, hammer arm, waterfall, ice beam.

Battle Tower team

Aerodactyl @Choice Band
Adamant 6HP/252Atk/252Spe
-Crunch
-Aqua Tail
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
A fast Choice attacker with good type coverage.

Electivire @Expert Belt
-Thunderpunch
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake
A strong physical attacker with wide type coverage.

Latios @Leftovers
Timid 6HP/252SpA/252Spe
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Grass Knot
-Recover
An offensive Calm Mind user. Soul Dew doesn't work in the Battle Tower, so I replaced it with Leftovers to provide extra survivability.

Re: Battle Tower team

Aerodactyl @Choice Band
-Crunch
-Aqua Tail
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Electivire @Expert Belt
-Thunderpunch
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake

Latios @Leftovers
Timid 6HP/252SpA/252Spe
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Grass Knot
-Recover

I've used that Electivire before. Let me tell you, it works much better with Life Orb surprisingly, and works great in sync with a good Dragon Dance Gyarados, who ALWAYS attracts Electric attacks, while being able to set up a Sweep before hand.

130.png

Gyarados @Leftovers/Life Orb | Lum Berry
Intimidate Ability
Adamant Nature
100 HP/252 Atk/156 Speed
~Dragon Dance
~Waterfall
~Return | Outrage
~Crunch/Earthquake

After 2 Dragon Dances, this set (with a perfect Speed IV mind you) will always out speed every Choice Scarf user, and Salac Berry user. The only things that might out speed it are Speed Boost users (who don't threaten it anyway), and any Speed Stat impossibilities that people love ranting about (myself included) ;~;.

Waterfall for STAB, and Return/Outrage for coverage. Crunch handles Shedinja (who walls the other two moves), and Earthquake handles Empoleon (who also walls the other two moves) while hitting the Electric Types hard. I'd go with Crunch though, because unless you swap Latias for something else, you won't have ANY way to hurt Shedinja, and it WILL suck. If you run Outrage, go Lum. Otherwise, go Leftovers/Life Orb.

Another SMALL, and very optional note about that Gyarados attracting Electric attacks for Electivire's Motor Drive is that if you switch natures to Jolly on Electivire, keep the same EVs (and have a perfect Speed IV) it will out speed the same things as the aforementioned Gyarados.

How well has Latias worked for you? I'm curious. Choosing Latias always seemed so broken, but never worked out the way I wanted it to. My main beef was the Lati twins being 2 of maybe like... 4 Dragons who can't use Flamethrower. Either way, Latias is fast, admitted, but the Calm Mind set really doesn't need the Speed so much. Build the EVs more defensively than offensively, if any offensive at all. I had a CMCress Set with a standard Bold/252 HP/Def Spread that would CM so much that Tyranitar wasn't even a threat to Ice Beam.

What do you like about Grass Knot? I'd imagine you score some occasional awesome OHKO, but have you walled other places. ESPECIALLY Heatran, who pops up more that Zubats in a cave come the late 60 rounds and above. Maybe try Surf? Same as the Gyarados' coverage, which is pretty good. Lemme know how this Set works with/without changes (Seriously, hunt me down, I obsess about the Frontier strategies, and would love to hear what other people like doing).

Platinum Team:

Empoleon(Male) lvl 52 Mild
-Brine
-Aerial Ace
-Shadow Claw
-Flash Cannon

Infernape Male Lvl 50 Timid
-Rock Smash
-Flame Wheel
-Stone Edge
-Brick Break

Torterra male lvl 50 Bold
-Leech Seed
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Energy Ball

Lucario Male lvl 100 Careful
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse
-Extremespeed

Roserade Femlae lvl 100 Impish
-Poison Jab
-Shadow Ball
-Magical Leaf
-Toxic

Snorlax male lvl 100 Serious
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Rollout
-Ice Beam

At Maylenes Gym... Someone may be pawned... As you can see, my team can turn away a lot of types, but i want yalls advice on even better coverage and what items i should use. Snorlax has leftovers

Platinum Team:

Empoleon(Male) lvl 52 Mild
-Brine
-Aerial Ace
-Shadow Claw
-Flash Cannon

Okay, Aerial Ace and Shadow Claw have got to go, physical moves on a mild Empoleon arn't so good, Replace with Surf and Ice Beam.

Infernape Male Lvl 50 Timid
-Rock Smash
-Flame Wheel
-Stone Edge
-Brick Break

Timid is kind of a bad nature for a physical Infernape, first of all, tell Rock Smash to go die in a fire, it sucks, replace Flame Wheel with Flamethrower, Keep Stone Edge, as it is a fantastic move, even though it's phisical, and Brick Break for Focus Blast.

Torterra male lvl 50 Bold
-Leech Seed
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Energy Ball

Bold is a terrible nature for Torterra, Replace Crunch with Wood Hammmer and Energy Ball with Leaf Storm.
Lucario Male lvl 100 Careful
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse
-Extremespeed

You have bad luck with natures don't you? Replace Aura Sphere with Close Combat, and thats about all I can do with this set.

Roserade Femlae lvl 100 Impish
-Poison Jab
-Shadow Ball
-Magical Leaf
-Toxic

- Sp. Attack nature, oh dear. Sludge Bomb for Poison Jab and hope that it kills something.
Snorlax male lvl 100 Serious
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Rollout
-Ice Beam

Bad, no, terrible, why waste 110 base attack and use Sp. Attacks?! 65 Base is terrible, get rid of EVERY move on this, and use this set instead:

Body Slam
Crunch
Earthquake
Rest/Return

At Maylenes Gym... Someone may be pawned... As you can see, my team can turn away a lot of types, but i want yalls advice on even better coverage and what items i should use. Snorlax has leftovers.

I guess the thought of challenge is too much to bear for you.

Can you see if there is something
Typhlosion shadow claw, Eruption, sunny day, earthquake

As a word of warning, and something to note for future reference, Typhlosion's Special stats are a lot better than his Physical stats. Moreover, i wouldn't plan to use Sunny Day and Eruption together, unless you have Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Enigma Berry, as Eruption's power is strictly dependent on HP. Sunny Day wastes a turn you could instead spend overpowering someone with a (near) full-power Eruption. I'd advise swapping either Eruption or Sunny Day with Flamethrower. Also, Sunny Day w/ Heat Rock is probably much more advisably placed on Heatran, as it allows him to set up Typhlosion's Eruption. Also, teaching Espeon Morning Sun, and having him directly follow Heatran, will give him massive healing capabilities, if Sunny Day is still in effect

As a word of warning, and something to note for future reference, Typhlosion's Special stats are a lot better than his Physical stats. Moreover, i wouldn't plan to use Sunny Day and Eruption together, unless you have Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Enigma Berry, as Eruption's power is strictly dependent on HP. Sunny Day wastes a turn you could instead spend overpowering someone with a (near) full-power Eruption. I'd advise swapping either Eruption or Sunny Day with Flamethrower. Also, Sunny Day w/ Heat Rock is probably much more advisably placed on Heatran, as it allows him to set up Typhlosion's Eruption. Also, teaching Espeon Morning Sun, and having him directly follow Heatran, will give him massive healing capabilities, if Sunny Day is still in effect

Basically true. The only misleading thing here is Typhlosion's Special Attack. While it is easily superior numerically, Typhlosion's physical move pool is much more diverse, and its Attack Stat isn't so bad. It's about average in my opinion. Typhlosion and Sceptile are generally on the same boat as far as that goes.

However, Typhlosion can have pretty okay Special coverage if it manages to have an okay Hidden Power. If it's in the Sunlight regularly, try Solarbeam. If you're okay with the shotty accuracy, try Focus Blast. Not too much else Typhlosion can do though on the Special side. :C

Ian the quilava LV25
item Charcoal
Moves:
Cut
flame Wheel
Smokescreen
Fire blast

Cotto The Skiploom LV 21
Item Miracle Seed
Moves:
Bullet Seed (i dont have sunny day yet.)
Synthesis
Sleep Powder
Solar Beam

Mac the Togetic LV 23
Item(none)
Moves:
Metronome
Extrasensory
Yawn
Encore

Elvis The Nidorino LV 22
Item: Macho Brace
Moves:
Focus Energy
Double Kick
Shadow Claw
Rock Smash

Rocky the Steelix LV 19
Item:(none)
Moves:
Dig
Rock Throw
Screech
Rock Tomb

Grim the Scyther
Item(none)
Moves:
Focus Energy
Pursuit
False Swipe
Agility

I am about to face Morty.

thanks for the help!

Dude, how is that team going to Surf/Waterfall/Whirpool? o.o (Unless you HM Slave, which is cool). However, outside of hoping Steelix doesn't get OHKOd by Flamethrowers, this team won't handle Fire Types all too well.

Personally, I'd ditch Togetic for a Water Type, simply because without trading someone for a Shiny Stone, it's gonna be a LONG time before you turn into Togekiss (which is so much better it's not even funny). I suggest Starmie or Dewgong, simply because it's either speed or bulk to choose from. Why not Cloyster? I think it's cliche, but it is just as decent as a Water Type.

Dude, how is that team going to Surf/Waterfall/Whirpool? o.o (Unless you HM Slave, which is cool). However, outside of hoping Steelix doesn't get OHKOd by Flamethrowers, this team won't handle Fire Types all too well.

Personally, I'd ditch Togetic for a Water Type, simply because without trading someone for a Shiny Stone, it's gonna be a LONG time before you turn into Togekiss (which is so much better it's not even funny). I suggest Starmie or Dewgong, simply because it's either speed or bulk to choose from. Why not Cloyster? I think it's cliche, but it is just as decent as a Water Type.

considering he's about to face Morty...
he won't have access to water stones until after the elite 4. And you can't catch Seel until after the elite 4 either...

My suggestions for a strong water pokemon would be either Lapras (almost too awesome for it's own good), Tentacruel, or Octillery.
While it's a bit of a waste to have to make any of them HM slaves, you only have to teach 2 (waterfall, whirlpool) b/c Nidoking can learn Surf (although it's a good move and the STAB would help either of them).

- Lapras is great, but a little out of the way to find. I would suggest brine, ice beam, safeguard, or rain dance as its non-HM moves
- Tentacruel is highly underrated, easy to acquire. I would suggest barrier, toxic spikes, or poison jab as moves in addition to the HMs
- Octillery served me well on Platinum (until I got a Milotic which PWNS!). I would suggest ice beam, signal beam, or gunk shot (low accuracy, but high damage and 30% chance of poisoning the foe) as its additional non-HM moves

I'd also ditch either Skiploom or Scyther to make room for the water pokemon.

considering he's about to face Morty...
he won't have access to water stones until after the elite 4. And you can't catch Seel until after the elite 4 either...

My suggestions for a strong water pokemon would be either Lapras (almost too awesome for it's own good), Tentacruel, or Octillery.
While it's a bit of a waste to have to make any of them HM slaves, you only have to teach 2 (waterfall, whirlpool) b/c Nidoking can learn Surf (although it's a good move and the STAB would help either of them).

- Lapras is great, but a little out of the way to find. I would suggest brine, ice beam, safeguard, or rain dance as its non-HM moves
- Tentacruel is highly underrated, easy to acquire. I would suggest barrier, toxic spikes, or poison jab as moves in addition to the HMs
- Octillery served me well on Platinum (until I got a Milotic which PWNS!). I would suggest ice beam, signal beam, or gunk shot (low accuracy, but high damage and 30% chance of poisoning the foe) as its additional non-HM moves

Lies. Assuming this is Heart Gold/Soul Silver, and not the original games, Water Stones can be obtained in the Pokeathlon. I forget which day though. Staryu/Seel are obtained in the Route before the Safari Zone in Cianwood, after beating Chuck, so though he won't have access to it now, he will in the near future. Octillery, however, is obtained after the Radio Tower mission, right before the 8th Badge.

I agree with Lapras and Tentacruel though (I have no idea why I hadn't thought of Lapras when considering bulky Water/Ice Types...). Tentacool, is kind of a bitch to train in my opinion, as its level up moves aren't all that great, and it gains levels painfully slow for it's own good. Maybe that's just me though. o_O

Lies. Assuming this is Heart Gold/Soul Silver, and not the original games, Water Stones can be obtained in the Pokeathlon. I forget which day though. Staryu/Seel are obtained in the Route before the Safari Zone in Cianwood, after beating Chuck, so though he won't have access to it now, he will in the near future. Octillery, however, is obtained after the Radio Tower mission, right before the 8th Badge.

I agree with Lapras and Tentacruel though (I have no idea why I hadn't thought of Lapras when considering bulky Water/Ice Types...). Tentacool, is kind of a bitch to train in my opinion, as its level up moves aren't all that great, and it gains levels painfully slow for it's own good. Maybe that's just me though. o_O

my bad forgot about pokeathlon. I don't do it, so I forgot...
Also I didn't know that Seel and Staryu were available there...and I waited all the way to Kanto to get them! lol

Lapras and Tentacruel both require the exact same amount of exp. to level up each time, and yes... it IS painfully slow. If he's going the "quick to level-up" route... the Marill line would be the easiest...although Azumarill sucks. Aside from that, the Seel line would be the best bet going that route.

Back
Top Bottom