• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Umbreon is an amazing defender while Espeon is a speedy special attacker. I prefer Umbreon but Espeon would probably be more useful.

Finally got up to being really serious with Pokemon, so thusly I present my first serious team for rating. All but one of these don't have items, I'll deal with that in a different thread.

Dragonite [Devon]
Ability: Inner Focus
Nautre: Quiet
EVs: 250 Sp. Atk/100 Def. + Sp. Def/50 HP (Values are approximate)
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor

I don't like the idea of having super-specialized Pokemon focused around specific moves. Keep this in mind as you read these. The EV spread is self-explanatory; maximizing damage while covering the bases with the remaining points. The first three moves cover eight types and have normal accuracy with good power. Draco Meteor is a powerful STAB move, pretty simple stuff.

Ampharos [Nikolai]
Ability: Static
Nature: Mild
EVs: 250 Sp. Atk/100 Atk. + Def./50 HP
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Thunder
- Signal Beam

A SubPuncher with a side of Thunder (there will be a Rain Dancer later on) and Signal Beam. I had an Ampharos and it had a relatively bad moveset, so I looked around and for some reason, SubPunching was recommended. It hasn't worked so well, so I'm considering redoing this one. Thunder is the really strong point, given dat Special Attack and the aforementioned Rain Dance. Signal Beam is for type coverage.

Steelix [Rocky] (I didn't call it that, this is the traded Onix)
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Hasty (I know, I know, lowers defence.)
EVs: 250 Def./100 Atk. + Sp. Def/50 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Gyro Ball/Iron Tail

Does what Steelix does best. The hindering nature is something to complain about, but no way am I trying to get another one. This is obviously designed to go in first, hence the Stealth Rock, and the other moves are to do damage. There's two moves near the end because I just replaced Iron Tail with Gyro Ball due to it always missing and I haven't had a chance to test it yet. EV spread kind of obvious, all physical moves hence Attack, etc.

Ludicolo [Freddie] w/ Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 250 Sp. Def/100 Sp. Atk + Def/50 HP
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Ludicolo has pretty neat Special Attack, and I am a firm believer in using Pokemon I like, so I threw this one in there. Not worrying about Speed or Attack due to Swift Swim and all Special moves respectively, boosting the Sp. Def even higher, helping the other stats I actually use. Rain Dance is extended by the Damp Rock to help out Nikolai back there. Surf with STAB and Rain Dance oughta do some damage, and the people I go up against like using Pokemon that happen to be heavy, hence the Grass Knot.

Machamp [Athena]
Ability: No Guard
Nature: Bold (Lowers attack)
EVs: 250 Atk/100 Def. + Sp. Def/50 HP
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Payback

DynamicPunch and No Guard together w/ STAB is a no-brainer, and the other ones give some nice type coverage. The EVs boost Attack and help the defenses, not touching Speed due to Payback, which also covers the Psychic weakness, as Ice Punch covers Flying. Kind of a short description, this.

Alakazam [Jean Grey] (I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions?)
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 250 Sp. Atk/100 Sp. Def + Def/50 Spd
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast

Just playing to the strengths here. I've never worried a lot about Speed, so the 50 is just there to help Alakazam's already pretty good Speed stat. Shadow Ball covers the Ghost and Dark weaknesses, Bug is uncovered, but nobody I know uses Bug moves, from memory. Kinda complements Athena, too.

Yeah, that's it. I'd appreciate any sort of help. Levels are of no consequence, as they will shortly be at Lvl. 100. No pics, sorry, but kind of a tight schedule to fill. I'll edit some in later.

In regards to the battle tower team I posted some posts above, I also have a Kingdra with a mild nature and coicidentally, a Speed IV of 31. It's got swift swim, and Surf/Ice Beam/Rain Dance/Dragon pulse, with Dragon pulse possibly being replaced by Draco Meteor. It's special attack at level 50 is a little over 150, and if I were to use surf in the rain, it'd be doubled to 190 BP by rain, and then STAB would knock it up to 270, with Draco Meteor doing 210 BP. The Gible I have atm has a Jolly nature, Outrage, Earthquake, and I plan to add Swords Dance and Stone Edge. Should I still go with Garchomp, or use Kingdra instead?

So, I'm playing Heart Gold, and I'm trying to just BS through the game as fast as possible so I can access the Battle Frontier. I had a thought that I'm sure we've all had. Is all that time spent on training a full team of 6 to levels close to the E4 worth it? I know we all have power leveled through the league once in our lives, so why bother with the whole party? (For me anyway, I don't feel like playong through HG right now, however, it is a great game to play through).

Here's the idea:
Starmie
~Surf
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Beam
~Psychic/Recover

Starmie is obtained somehwat late-game, and has no way of getting Psychic pre-Kanto. Those are Starmie's only downfalls. This set can honestly be replaced by Slowbro/Slowking, but with the trade of performance due to Starmie's Speed. If you don't like how late Staryu's appearance in-game is, or want to use Psychic (but have no means getting TM29), go with Slowpoke, which is found pretty early in the game.

Thunderbolt destroys Will's team, bar Jynx and Exegutor, which are handled by stalling out with Surf and Ice Beam, resepectively. Koga is completely messed up by Psychic, and can Surf for a OHKO or 2HKO on Foretress, but without Psychic, a second team mate is usually a good idea. The same goes for Bruno, where it's just easier with Psychic. Karen is troublesome, and Umbreon will give you trouble (and Gengar w/o Psychic), but is otherwise easy work. Lance is the easiest to be honest, as Starmie can hit his strongest 4 Pokes for 4x effective.

It's a lot easier with a team mate, and the best one can easily be your starter.

Typhlosion
~Flamethrower
~Focus Blast
~Extrasensory/Shadow Claw
~Earthquake

Pretty simple really, however it may require breeding (which in Heart Gold, can't be done w/o trading, considering the father must be Vulpix). Basically, this guy handles all of Starmie's holes. Flamethrower hits Foretress, and any of Koga's other Bugs if Starmie lacks Psychic, in which case Extrasensory acts as a substitute for Psychic, and can take care of Bruno quite easily. Extrasensory/Shadow Claw takes care of Gengar, and Focus Blast deals with Umbreon.

The cool thing about Typhlosion is that it can hold it's own basically until Goldenrod (and then some), where there should be access to Vulpix, Ditto, and the Day Care, all of which can be used to get a Cyndaquil with Extrasensory. However, if you can find a way to get TM29 before Kanto, or just want to brute force through Bruno, then just skip breeding. The TM for Focus Blast is right next to Whitney, the TM for Shadow Claw is right next to Morty, and by the time you get to Chuck, there should be Staryu accessible. After that, everything is easily taken care of, and you can just keep a party of 4 HM slaves.

I don't EV train for play throughs, because I don't like wasting time (which is why the Typhlosion breeding is a pain), but I'm sure that would make this idea work a lot better.

Has anyone else ever tried a minimal party playthrough before though? From what I'm seeing, they actually make the game go by tons faster. o -o

OK, I'm making a team for Emerald to fight Steven and the Battle Frontier.

So far, the only thing I've decided on is the Pokemon, none hacked and Lv.90 btw.

*Mew
*Latios
*Blaziken
*Rayquaza
*Mightyena
*Lugia

I know my team's mostly uber, but I like my Emerald ubers.

OK, I'm making a team for Emerald to fight Steven and the Battle Frontier.

So far, the only thing I've decided on is the Pokemon, none hacked and Lv.90 btw.

*Mew
*Latios
*Blaziken
*Rayquaza
*Mightyena
*Lugia

I know my team's mostly uber, but I like my Emerald ubers.

Isn't everything except Latios, Mighteyena and Blaziken banned in the Frontier? And even if those are the three you're using, what moves are you planning on using?

Well, er...I guess I mixed up the Frontier with Trainer Tower....And I still think this might be good against Steven/Mt. Battle(In Pokemon XD)

Anyway, the only movesets I've planned are Latios' and Blaziken's.

Latios@Soul Dew
-Luster Purge
-Recover
-Psychic
-Calm Mind/Fire Blast

Latios speeds out and Luster Purges the first few Poke's. Recover doesn't need to be explained, Psychic does away with those weak to it, and Fire Blast is for Ice coverage. Which means he'll only be harmed by Ghosts and Darks.

Blaziken@Leftovers
-Blaze Kick
-Double Kick
-Sky Uppercut
-???
Physical sweeper set, with Leftovers to at least let him survive a few blows. Blaze Kick is his sig.move, so why not? Double Kick is good with STAB and takes down most of Steven's team, Sky Uppercut is to deal with Fly. I can't think of anything else for the fourth move...

Any help with my other Pokemon, or the ones here?

Latios: Having Luster Purge and Psychic is just pointless. And since Psychic is infinitely more useful than Luster Purge, I suggest replacing Luster Purge with Dragon Claw or maybe Thunderbolt. (Dragon Claw's Special in Gen. III.)

Blaziken: Blaze Kick is Special in Gen. III. So try the mixed-sweeper route, and replace the Kick with Fire Blast or Flamethrower. And Double Kick is worthless. Try Rock Slide (FR/LG tutor in Rock Tunnel) for the fourth slot. And, if you can, replace Double Kick with ThunderPunch. (Emerald tutor.) If not, Earthquake.

Hope that helped.

Okay. Latios notes taken. I can't trade to FRLG since I lack both the game and a link cable...so...are these the moveset you wanted for these guys?:

Latios@Soul Dew
-Psychic
-Dragon Claw
-Recover
-Fire Blast

Blaziken@Leftovers
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake
-Sky Uppercut
-ThunderPunch

Yes. That should prove deadly in the Frontier.

Thanks! Here's my Mew's moveset, for Mt. Battle and Steven.

Mew@Sitrus Berry
-Psychic
-Flamethrower
-Selfdestruct
-Metronome

Metronome saves me more often than not, Psychic is for STAB and unpredictability, Flamethrower scorches most of Steven's team, and Selfdestruct gives a free KO when Mew's in the red.

Pretty good, actually. Though I should point out: on a Psychic-type like Mew, Psychic is anything but unpredictable.

Oh, well, I heard that Psychic on a Mew was surprising because most people use Mewtwo as their Psychic-er...anyway, got the next two movesets done:Rayquaza and Mightyena! I'm also changing Lugia for a Ho-Oh, seeing as how with Lugia I'd have three psychics.

Rayquaza@Persim Berry
-Overheat
-Fly
-Outrage
-Thunderbolt

For me, this set has good type coverage, plus I can avoid attacks and Overheat without the Special Attack drop once.

Mightyena@Focus Sash
-Roar
-Crunch
-Return
-Dig

Crunch is Mightyena's best move, Roar switches so that I can pick which enemies to massacre first. Return is awesome in general, and Dig both hits Steven for super-effective damage on most Pokemon and avoids one attack.

If it really is for the Frontier, ditch them both. Rayquaza can't get in, and Mightyena's just crap in general. If it's for the Trainer Tower (where their Ubers are allowed), just ditch Mightyena. Rayquaza's kinda good, though Fly isn't the best of moves, even with STAB.

It's for the Frontier, Trainer Tower, and Mt. Battle, along with Steven. Here's what teams I planned....

Frontier
*Blaziken
*Latios
*Mightyena

Trainer Tower
*Rayquaza
*Mew
*Ho-Oh

Mt. Battle
*Blaziken
*Mew
*Rayquaza

I think I'm all set, so thanks for all the help.

This is my plan for my team against Red. Hopefully, I'll be able to beat him without losing any Pokemon, if all goes well. This battle is more of based around strategy, so...yeah. Tell me what you think.

Pidgey (moves don't matter in this case, it'll be around Level 2).
Probably.
Tackle
Now, this Pidgey serves a huge purpose. The thing is, I need to bait an Electric attack to Electivire. Basically, I switch to Electivire for him to take the Speed Boost. That's where the real fun begins.

Electivire@Expert Belt Lvl 85
Cross Chop
Ice Punch
Thunderpunch
Earthquake

So, this guy takes the speed boost. I'm pretty sure he will be able to KO all of Red's Pokemon, because of Expert Belt. Thunderpunch=bye Lapras, Charizard, and Blastoise. Snorlax can go ahead and eat a Cross Chop. Pikachu can face an Earthquake, and his Venusaur won't like an Ice Punch. I'm hoping he'll sweep Red's team, if not, I'll just Revive him.

Feraligatr@Life Orb Level 75
Swords Dance
Ice Punch
Return
Aqua Jet

I'll probably bring him in on something like Charizard, where I can Swords Dance freely. From there, one Aqua Jet will get rid of Snorlax and let me attack.

Snorlax@Leftovers level 65.
Rest
Sleep Talk
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Another guy I like to bring in on Charizard. That thing keeps using Flare Blitz, for some weird reason. Let him face down this guy's HP, and he won't be doing it anymore. Basically, I stall out Charizard with prediction until I know Red will heal, then use Rock Slide. That gets rid of Charizard, and then I continue to stall till I'm out.

Flygon@Leftovers Level 71
Toxic
Roost
Earthquake
Fire Blast

I do seem to like Smogon sets, now don't I? However, this guy does marvels by setting status on my opponents team so I can switch out to Snorlax and just wall them down. Awesome.

HM Slave Geodude
Rock Smash
Strength
Rock Climb
---

This is my HM Slave. He won't be doing much during the actual battle, aside from maybe letting one of my other Pokemon heal when he gets destroyed.

So, yeah. My team is mostly capable to defending for itself, but I'm hoping Electivire will knock out a good portion of his team. Tell me what you think!

You'll need a higher-level Flying-type (or maybe that Feraligatr) to bait T-bolt/Volt Tackle. Red's Pikachu might actually use Quick Attack on a little Pidgey.

You'll need a higher-level Flying-type (or maybe that Feraligatr) to bait T-bolt/Volt Tackle. Red's Pikachu might actually use Quick Attack on a little Pidgey.

Good point. I only did Pidgey because I personally don't like any flying types that I don't use as Flyers. But sure, I can lead with Feraligatr then use him later. Flying was the first accessible type that came to mind, lol.

I need some quick help with a Rotom set for the Frontier in Platinum/HG/SS.

Rotom (A) @Leftovers
Levitate
Calm Nature
252 HP/4 Sp.Atk/252 Sp.Def
~Will-o-Wisp
~Charge/Substitute
~Thunderbolt
~Shadow Ball/Overheat/Blizzard/Hydro Pump/Leaf Storm

I have no clear idea where I wan't to go with this. I know I'm building it bulky, obviously, but otherwise, I'm not sure. Will-o-Wisp and Max Sp.Def/HP aim to make Rotom as bulky as possible. The choice between Charge and Substitute is a tough one.

If I go with Charge, I may spread the EVs more offensively so I can score more KOs, as well as beefing up that Thunderbolt and my Sp.Def temporarily (mainly, a Calm Mind substitution).

If I go with Substitute, I can be protected against Status, as well as create a Wall to help take damage. However, with Substitute, I won't have as much power.

The last moves is a matter of coverage, really. Shadow Ball is obvious STAB, however the other four moves provide key advantages. Overheat helps with all those annoying Steel Types, bar Heatran, but presents that pesky Sp.Atk drop. The other three moves help fight off Ground Types. Blizzard gives me the best coverage, but I could see the other two being useful at one point or another.

The item choice is probably going to be Leftovers, however, without Substitute, I'm tempted to use a Lum Berry to help ward of Status. White Herb would also be useful for if I use Overheat or Leaf Storm.

So, any suggestions/opinions? (The team mates are going to be ScarfLead Machamp, and a Dark Type, just to give me a traingle of resistances to the weaknesses of the Types, however the Dark Type is subject to change. I'm thinking about Mighteyena, Drapion, or Skuntank).

How on earth am I supposed to get the gold symbol for the battle hall? I'm using a Naive Garchomp, with a perfect attack, speed, and HP IV, EV trained in speed and attack. Even with a yache berry, I either get swept by Weavile with a focus sash or a bulky poke like lickilicky with ice punch, if I don't freeze first. Garchomp knows Outrage, Earthquake, Crunch, and Fire Fang. Maybe there's still something fast out there with decent typing and coverage?.

Back
Top Bottom