• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

How on earth am I supposed to get the gold symbol for the battle hall? I'm using a Naive Garchomp, with a perfect attack, speed, and HP IV, EV trained in speed and attack. Even with a yache berry, I either get swept by Weavile with a focus sash or a bulky poke like lickilicky with ice punch, if I don't freeze first. Garchomp knows Outrage, Earthquake, Crunch, and Fire Fang. Maybe there's still something fast out there with decent typing and coverage?.

I wouldn't do it with Garchomp, because without setting up, it's not nearly as powerful as many people think. I always make sure to use something with a Sash in the Hall, so I would try to rework the team completely. Something worth remembering though; not counting ant Choice Scarf users, Salac Berry users, or multiple uses of Speed Boost (and Ninjask as a whole for that matter) or Agility, or moves of the nature, the highest Speed you'll see is 161. Electrodes are not trained with any Speed, and cap at 160 (This math is all assuming Level 50 though, so if it exceeds that, the numbers are different).

Your Garchomp now has 169 Speed (again, Level 50), but it has no priority moves, so guys like Weavile can abuse STAB Ice Shard and WILL 2HKO you. As long as they have the Sash to back themselves up, it doesn't matter what they do. I would invest into something like Infernape which can use Fake Out and Vacuum Wave, or even Ambipom which can use Fake Out+Technician. Trust me, that 4x weakness IS the problem, so you need a Pokemon without such an exploited opening.

Last edited:

My team from Pokémon XD: Gale Of Darkness:

Pokémon: Eevee♂
Nickname: LUCIFUR
Level: 51
Moves:
Shadow Ball
Shadow End
Take Down
Crunch

Pokémon: Shadow Lugia
Nickname: THANATOS
Level: 50
Moves:
Shadow Blast
Shadow Shed
Shadow Down
Shadow Storm

Pokémon: Ledian♂
Nickname: PLUTO
Level: 47
Moves:
Psychic
Signal Beam
Shadow Blast
Silver Wind

Pokémon: Bonsly♀
Nickname: DEMETER
Moves:
Rock Slide
Mimic
Shadow Break
Faint Attack

Pokémon: Castform♀ (Shadow, Shiny)
Nickname: EREBUS
Level: 44
Moves:
Shadow Storm
Shadow Shed
Shadow Sky
Weather Ball

Pokémon: Voltorb (Shiny)
Nickname: VACUNA
Level: 45
Moves:
Shadow Bolt
Thunderbolt
Explosion
Shadow End

I also have other pokemon in my box I sometimes switch with some of my party members

Pokémon: Shiftry♂

Nickname: BOKO
Moves:
Giga Drain
Faint Attack
Shadow Blast
Extrasensory

Pokémon: Deoxys (Shiny, Normal Form)
Nickname: ARES
Level:
Moves:
Recover
Psycho Boost
Psychic
Shadow Half

Pokémon: Exeggutor♀ (Shiny)
Nickname: the NORNS
Level: 46
Moves:
Shadow Storm
Tri Attack
Recover
Frenzy Plant

Pokémon: Vaporeon♀
Nickname: THALASSA
Moves:
Shadow Storm
Surf
Shadow Panic
Shadow Chill

Pokémon: Jolteon♂
Nickname: JUPITER
Moves:
Shadow Bolt
Rain Dance
Thunder
Pin Missile

Pokémon: Flareon♂
Nickname: VULCAN
Moves:
Shadow Fire
Sacred Fire
Flamethrower
Shadow Shed

Pokémon: Umbreon♀ (Shiny)
Nickname: NYX
Level: 52
Moves:
Moonlight
Shadow End
Crunch
Shadow Panic

Pokémon: Flareon♀ (Shiny)
Nickname: APHRODITE
Moves:
Covet
Lovely Kiss
Attract
Shadow Panic

Pokémon: Espeon♀
Nickname: YHI
Level: 52
Moves:
Doom Desire
Solarbeam
Shadow Sky
Signal Beam

Action Replay has obviously been a big help to me :D

My current Heart Gold team has Toxicroak, Metagross, Tyranitar, Froslass, and Ho-oh. I was using Torterra but since he was my starter in Platinum I wanted to swap him with a Ludicolo. I ended up not being much of a fan of Ludicolo so I'm wondering what I should use now?

So far I'm thinking of forgoing a water or grass poke and picking up something else, or blowing up my team. If I rebuild, I know that I want to keep Toxicroak and Metagross on the team. The rest I don't have any strong connections to.

My Soulsilver Team:

Infernape: Charcoal
-Flamethrower
-Mach Punch
-Calm Mind
-Close Combat

Gliscor: Muscle Band
-Dig
-Aerial Ace
-X-scissor
-Sword Dance

Slowking:
-Psychic
-Surf
-Yawn
-Nasty Plot

Abomasnow: nevermeltice
-Ice Beam
-Wood Hammer
-Razor leaf
-Ice Shard

Magnezone:
-Discharge
-Mirror shot
-Metal sound
-Supersonic

Tyranitar: Black Glasses
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Screech

Its a good team, but I want to make some changes. I can't think of anything really though that would help make it better :-/ My main problems are with Magnezone and Slowking and the status moves for each Pokemon.

My Soulsilver Team:

Infernape: Charcoal
-Flamethrower
-Mach Punch
-Calm Mind
-Close Combat

Gliscor: Muscle Band
-Dig
-Aerial Ace
-X-scissor
-Sword Dance

Slowking:
-Psychic
-Surf
-Yawn
-Nasty Plot

Abomasnow: nevermeltice
-Ice Beam
-Wood Hammer
-Razor leaf
-Ice Shard

Magnezone:
-Discharge
-Mirror shot
-Metal sound
-Supersonic

Tyranitar: Black Glasses
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Screech

Its a good team, but I want to make some changes. I can't think of anything really though that would help make it better :-/ My main problems are with Magnezone and Slowking and the status moves for each Pokemon.

can't really think of anything... lose the blackglasses on tyranitar and give it the muscle band, Gliscor gets a big enough boost from swords dance and give your Gliscor Shell Bell or Leftovers, give Slowking Wise Glasses and thats all i can think of... :disgust:

Hello, I'm trying to make a rain team for the battle tower(SoulSilver)and i'd like to know what you guys think.

Bronzong@Damp Rock
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Impish
-Rain Dance
-Explosion
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake(or Reflect/Hypnosis)
252HP/152Atk/8Def/96Spd

Kingdra@Life Orb
Ability:Swift Swim
Nature:Naughty
-Rain Dance
-Waterfall
-Hydro Pump(or Surf, Haven't decided yet)
-Draco Meteor
252Atk/240Spa/16Spe

Starmie@Leftovers(Still trying to decide on the item)
Ability:Natural Cure
Nature:Timid
-Surf
-Thunder
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin(or Recover)
4HP/252Spa/252Spe

Last edited:

I'm all about the Tower, so I'd be glad to help. Chenges in bold.

Bronzong@Damp Rock
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Impish
-Rain Dance
-Explosion
-Hypnosis
-Iron Head/Zen Headbutt
252 HP/128 Def/128 Sp.Def
Bronzong is awesome, but unless you go offensive with Calm Mind, stick to pure defense. The Tower Trainers switch once in a blue moon, thus Stealth Rock is not going to be worth the turn thrown out to set up. However, to exploit their no-switch AI, throw Hypnosis in there to make anything a safe switch in. Earthquake is great coverage, and Iron Head or Zen Headbutt is just STAB.

Kingdra@Life Orb|White Herb
Ability:Swift Swim
Nature:Modest
-HP Ground/Yawn
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Dragon Pulse|Draco Meteor
Guessing, but 152 HP/252 Sp.Atk/100 Speed
Without a Stat calculator on hand, I can't remember where the Speed mark for Kingdra's EVs are, and where they become useless investments. Just know, as long as it has 122 Speed, it's guarenteed to outspeed everything except for Ninjask post-boost, and /maybe/ some other Swift Swimmers (hence the guess on the EVs, I'll edit this post when I get access to better info). Go all Special, it gives you more variety. Skip Rain Dance, you could always switch back into Bronzong very safely and set up again, if necesary. If you go Draco Meteor, go for White Herb, but it's still risky with Intimidate and other Stat reducers going around. Same goes for Hydro Pump, it's too risky.Hidden Power gives coverage, especially on Thunder using Electric Types. However, Yawn will help sometimes when Kingdra is in, but about to go down and you really don't think it can get the KO. Signal Beam could work too I guess, it's your call really. You won't use the move too much in either case, but Rain Dance probably won't be used period.

Starmie@Leftovers
Ability:Natural Cure
Nature:Timid
-Surf
-Thunder
-Psychic
-Recover
4HP/252Spa/252Spe

You also don't necesarily need all that Speed. Most of the threats that Starmie can totally annihilate don't even come close to outspeeding Starmie. The way I worked mine was to specifically outspeed all Garchomps, Dragonites, Gyarados, and Salamence, and OHKO with Ice Beam, or Thunderbolt (with Life Orb, however it wasn't needed). The reason I say Recover is the same reason I say no Stealth Rocks. You won't see them, and if you do, the WORST you'll see is Toxic Spikes, which if you play your cards right won't affect you. Psychic over Ice Beam because Kingdra already has it, and Starmie could use the STAB. If you wan't, you could make this Choice Specs or Choice Scarf, and replace Recover with some kind of Hidden Power that you see provides the most help, but either way is just as good.

Weather teams are awesome in online play, but in the Tower can be randomly shut down out of nowhere. Things like Tyranitar coming in and screwing up your set up get that free turn from you trying to put your weather back up. You do NOT want to give that guy a free turn, TRUST ME. @__@ However, with a good bulky lead like Bronzong, you can make it slightly more reliable. See how it works, you never know what could excel.

Thanks for the help VanillaThunderbolt. :cheers: And also what should my EV spread be for Starmie? Maybe more in HP?

Ok, so I got the gold print in the Hall and Arcade, and now I'm trying to get 100 wins in the Battle Tower. I'm going to use a Garchomp with SD/EQ/Outrage/Fire Fang holding a life orb as a physical sweeper, and a Porygon-Z holding a focus sash with Tri Attack/BoltBeam/Agility as a special sweeper. In front will be a Bronzong holding a light clay with Reflect/Light Screen/Earthquake/filler as a dual-screening wall. What do you think?

Thanks for the help VanillaThunderbolt. :cheers: And also what should my EV spread be for Starmie? Maybe more in HP?

Depends really. I know at 168 Speed, it outspeeds everything I hate, but mine is a Lead, and it also has Ice Beam. I would tell you to play Factory to get a good feel for what you should be afraid of because it either a) kicked your ass HARD or b) let you kick ass too easily.

Oh btw, Endure/Reversal Arcanine is probably the fastest threat there after Salac boost, so just browse until you know the threats, and build them accordingly.

Psypokes has a good EV Listing for all the Pokes, and theres tons ov EV/IV Calculators out there, and you could make your own if you wanted to (I did with Excel, just threw in damage calcs and stat calcs).

EDIT:
Ok, so I got the gold print in the Hall and Arcade, and now I'm trying to get 100 wins in the Battle Tower. I'm going to use a Garchomp with SD/EQ/Outrage/Fire Fang holding a life orb as a physical sweeper, and a Porygon-Z holding a focus sash with Tri Attack/BoltBeam/Agility as a special sweeper. In front will be a Bronzong holding a light clay with Reflect/Light Screen/Earthquake/filler as a dual-screening wall. What do you think?

Garchomp is good, but it fears Mamoswine and Weavile, and for obvious reasons (taking care of those pseudo-legendary dragons) the snowboarder trainers are much more common in the later rounds. Guess what they carry.

Porygon-Z is better with Trick Scarf. Download>Adaptability, and make sure you bring it in when it counts. Bolt Beam is cool, but don't even bother with Agility, so replace it with Trick.

Bronzong makes an AWESOME lead, as aforementioned, and I personally use a Magnezone with the same purpose, but it sues Toxic as well.

What I suggest is making that Garchomp lead a Dragon Dance or Swords Dance lead, with Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Crunch or Fire Fang... maybe even Stone Edge. Have Garchomp sweep what it can without risking boost turns that could kill you, switch to Bronzong when necesary, boost those defenses, Toxic that opponent (if you can), and switch back to Chomp. Set up while you can, while they steadily go down, and then sweep away.

That strategy works well with Trick-Z too, because you can trick them into the move that someone is bound to take easily. I suggest Salamence/Dragonite/Altaria/Latias/Latios as the Dancer in that situation, as they all resist that Fighting Type move that comes toward Porygon-Z. Set up behind those screens and resistances, and sweep away. Dragon Dance is better for this than Swords Dance, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hate to double post, but all this Tower Talk has me begging to post the team that I'm having a ton of fun of using right now. With good prediction, it gets a +6Atk/Speed Latios behind a Sub with full health ready to kill anything and everything.

The Lead
121.png

Starmie @Life Orb
Timid Nature; 116 HP/140 Speed/252 Sp.Atk
Natural Cure Ability
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt
~Recover

As I've said in the two BFRMTs before this, Starmie is a beast, and it kills things. What I have this guy do is take care of all those "ever-powerful" pseudo-legendary threats, and let it wreak havoc on whatever else it can get its... hands... or whatever on.

Timid to get the most Stat Boost, as it's Starmie's best Stat, and 140 Speed EVs to out speed Gyarados, Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, and Garchomp. Even without Life Orb, Starmie OHKOs all of these threats, so you can imagine that with 252 Sp.Atk and Life Orb, it manages to rip through a lot more. If anyone uses this, I would tell them to go 124 HP/248 Sp.Atk/140 Speed if they want that "1 HP for an 11th Attack" BS, but that doesn't matter in the BF. And Recovery-Orb Combo doesn't care about that anyway.

The Most Annoying Thing Ever
Spr_4p_429.png

Mismagius @Choice Scarf
Timid Nature; 252 Sp.Atk/76 Sp.Def/180 Speed
Levitate Ability
~Memento
~Will-o-Wisp/Power Gem
~Shadow Ball
~Energy Ball

So, to let you all know something useful, anything that can reach 162 Speed will out speed everything, except maybe Ninjask/Yanmega after a buhjillion Speed Boosts, or the seldom seen Tailwind, after one Speed Boost (or Choice Scarf). So, because of that, Mismagius makes a great revenge kill.

Memento is used in synergy with the Latios Sweep (below) to make sure Latios gets a good Sub up, and Dragon Dances as much as possible. However, STAB Shadow Ball makes Mismagius a good revenge killing sweeper itself. Energy Ball gets a lot of SE, notably Lanturn, which walls Starmie pretty hard. Power Gem would be helpful for coverage, but WoW helps when Latios is setting up (as it Stalls with Sub/DD until the opponent burns to death).

The Sweeper
381.png

Latios @Leftovers
Jolly Nature; 252 HP/116 Atk/4 Def/136 Speed
Levitate Ability
~Dragon Dance
~Substitute
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake

Do I need to go into detail? Starmie takes out what it can, Mismagius stunts what it can, stupid AI rarely switches, Latios becomes a total wall, Dragon Dances up, and doesn't care what comes up.

Latios may not seem like the best option, as Salamence is faster and stronger, as is Dragonite (stronger, anyway), and Garchomp. Guess what they all have though? Exploitable weaknesses. Latios actually can take an Ice attack, and still keep the Sub up sometimes. Good luck Sub stalling any Ice Type with those other guys.

This team as a whole has one main flaw, and that's the all around weakness to Ghost and Dark. Heavy Bug weakness kinda sucks too. It has its perks though, as its almost completely immune to Ground attack

Sometimes I use Mismagius as a Lead, and to deal with all those weaknesses, sometimes I swap it with a Dual Screen Toxic Stall Magnezone:

462_magnezone_1_m.png

Magnezone @Light Clay
Modest Nature; 252 HP/62 Sp.Atk/196 Sp.Def
Sturdy Ability
~Reflect
~Light Screen
~Toxic
~Thunderbolt

So, opinions? o -o

VanillaThunderbolt, I don't think Garchomp can learn dragon dance... And I'm using an adaptability P-Z, so I could still Scarf it. Better yet, I could use Nasty Plot in place of Agility, and make P-Z hold something like Wise Glasses or something.

Last edited:

hey, can some one help me with my team? I only do 4-on-4 though...

Torterra
Lv.90
Nature:Calm
Item: Iron Ball
Stats
Attack:216
Defense:221
Sp.atk:167
Sp.def:196
Speed:143
HP: 299/299

Moveset:

Frenzy Plant
Leaf Storm
Giga Impact
Earthquake

Charizard
lv.80
Nature:Quirky
Item: Charcoal
Stats
Attack:171
Defense:149
Sp.atk:204
Sp.def:165
Speed:211
HP:238/238

Moveset:

Blast Burn
Giga Impact
Fly
Flare Blitz

Swampert
lv.68
Nature:Brave
Item:Splash Plate
Stats
Attack:205
Defense:147
Sp.atk:141
Sp.def:151
Speed:108
HP:250/250

Moveset:

Muddy Water
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Surf

Typhlosion
lv.39 (still training)
Nature:Modest
Item: Leftovers
Stats
Attack:76
Defense:77
Sp.atk:112
Sp.def:77
Speed:97
HP:114/114

Moveset:

Lava Plume
Blast Burn
Flame Wheel
Flamethrower

I have to ask, what do you mean you do 4 on 4? I mean, in game you don't erally have a choice...
but anyhow, here goes my review.
Don't use Hyper Beam variations. You'll maybe beat the opponent's pokemon, but it's not worth the risk.
Also, wouldn't recommend having 2 fire types. Since there is no Stealth Rock in game, keep Zard and throw away TYphlosion for something bulky like a Snorlax.
As for movesets, since It's in-game, you could do something on Torterra like: Stone Edge, Crunch, Wood Hammer, Earthquake.
This set would give you quite a bit of coverage.
Also, Charizard could run something like
Air Slash
Fire Blast
Dragon Pulse
Roost
Again, for coverage. Swampert looks good.
Hope I helped!

Thanks! 4-on-4 means you only battle with 4 pokemon.

i was hoping to set up a teaam that could help in wi-fi battles....

I know what 4 on 4 means, but as this is an in-game team, it won't stand a chance in wifi.

well, could you help me make it a team that would be good on wi-fi? i was thinking of maybe also using a garchomp and Rypherior.

well, could you help me make it a team that would be good on wi-fi? i was thinking of maybe also using a garchomp and Rypherior.

Ummm....first of all, I think most people play wifi 6 on 6.
Also, Garchomp is in Uber tier, meaning you can't use it in Standard play. Tell me, have you ever battle competitively on Shoddy or whatever before?

um, well i do sometimes, but not a lot....

Right. I'm about to start playing Platinum, and I want to have my team laid out before hand (Pokemon only. Moves, Abilities, and such I'm not worried about). Here is what I have:
Piplup (going on up to Empoleon)
Gible (going up to Garchomp)
Rotom
One of the Eveelutions (not Jolteon or Vaporeon)

Any thoughts for 2 more members?

Back
Top Bottom