• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Yeah, then give Noctowl a shot.
edit: Hustle decreases all accuracies, even support moves.

I would still rate Heracross as the better of the three in-game. It has static base 125 Attack, good defenses, and Horn Attack/Aerial Ace/Brick Break to destroy most of the beginning-mid game. No "harsh" evolution method is required as well. Machop has to rely on TMs to get some serious coverage going on, as it only learns Fighting-type attacks. Being slow is also not fun, but at least it has some bulk. Tyrogue... I don't think I'd even bother using it. You have to be really careful if you want it to evolve into whichever Hitmon you want it to evolve, which is a bit time-consuming. So overall, get Heracross, but if you just plain hate Headbutting trees, then you only really have Machop to use.

Got it. Heracross. Thanks!

Houndoom/Arcanine? I don't remember where Houndours appear (are they are the Safari Zone)? I would prefer getting the earlier Growlithe though Houndour would probably be better because of its Dark typing. Both are great Pokemon to use though so up to you!
Houndoom is Special Attacker and Arcanine is physical, but you're right, it only comes in Safari ZOne. I'll stick with the Canine.

For Amphy/Jolt, again, both are cool choices, but Amphy is more advantageous. Amphy, though slow, at least has Thunder Wave to make up for its low Speed, which lets its bulk and higher SpA kick in better. It also gets Signal Beam, which helps a lot against the Grass-types that Jolteon will have problems against. Jolteon is definitely a classic speedy Electric-type, but without TMs and a good Hidden Power typing, it's going on a loss because it also only learns physical moves off base 65 Attack until level 71, Thunder. I would pick Amphy.

That is a good point. HOwever, one thing to keep in mind--I have a Timid Eevee, and i can trade with Platinum, meaning I can get it's moveset down w/out a problem. Even with that known, do you still want Jolteon?
One option is for me to EV train Jolteon on Platinu, then trade it to HG and level it up as i got through. Just something to mention.
What do you think?

Also, is Noctowl really anything to compare to even a Hustle Togekiss? I mean compare their stats:
Noctowl
Togekiss
ADvice greatly appreciated, all that left is to decide between Noctowl (Hypnosis, Light Screen, Psychic, Air Slash) or TOgekiss (HUSTLE :( AIr Slash, Aura Sphere, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball).

EDIT: Oh, and Crobat isn't a bad option either. I can catch a Stantler, breed it with a Zubat, then get a Zubat with Hypnosis. I can then train it up till I get something along the lines of :Toxic/Hypnosis, Air Slash, Sludge Bomb, Confuse Ray. There is no end to how annoying this set can be. Roost is a possibility, but it negates the Flying typing. By the way, which would you think is better, Toxic or Hypnosis? I like Toxic personally but that's just me. Reason being, Hypnosis has terrible accuracy and is pointless with Confuse Ray.
This way, it's look something like this.
Crobat@Leftovers
-Air Slash
-Sludge Bomb
-Toxic
-Confuse Ray

Last edited:

That is a good point. HOwever, one thing to keep in mind--I have a Timid Eevee, and i can trade with Platinum, meaning I can get it's moveset down w/out a problem. Even with that known, do you still want Jolteon?
One option is for me to EV train Jolteon on Platinu, then trade it to HG and level it up as i got through. Just something to mention.
What do you think?

Also, is Noctowl really anything to compare to even a Hustle Togekiss? I mean compare their stats:
Noctowl
Togekiss
ADvice greatly appreciated, all that left is to decide between Noctowl (Hypnosis, Light Screen, Psychic, Air Slash) or TOgekiss (HUSTLE :( AIr Slash, Aura Sphere, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball).

EDIT: Oh, and Crobat isn't a bad option either. I can catch a Stantler, breed it with a Zubat, then get a Zubat with Hypnosis. I can then train it up till I get something along the lines of :Toxic/Hypnosis, Air Slash, Sludge Bomb, Confuse Ray. There is no end to how annoying this set can be. Roost is a possibility, but it negates the Flying typing. By the way, which would you think is better, Toxic or Hypnosis? I like Toxic personally but that's just me.

Hmm, if you can do that with Jolteon, then it would definitely be a better choice than Ampharos. Platinum can tutor Signal Beam on Jolteon. You should do that. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt can also help out.

Yeah, Togekiss indeed has way better stats that Noctowl, but it's really Hustle that kills it with inconsistency. However, the Crobat mention you brought up is certainly viable (I infact used Crobat through all my walkthroughs except in B/W lol). Yes, definitely go with Crobat then! Having good enough Attack to use Wing Attack/Fly is great. As for Hypnosis vs Toxic, I would pick Hypnosis to sleep dangerous foes that Crobat cannot touch (which will be plenty, such as all Rock- and Steel-types, as well as Electric-types). This also allows you to easier catch Pokemon, contrary to Toxic which hinders this concept. Toxic does have its merits in weakening foes, but when you get to the Elite Four, Full Restore spam will negate Toxic a couple of times in which I would rather Hypnosis and switch to another Pokemon for the kill.

Hmm, if you can do that with Jolteon, then it would definitely be a better choice than Ampharos. Platinum can tutor Signal Beam on Jolteon. You should do that. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt can also help out.

Yeah, Togekiss indeed has way better stats that Noctowl, but it's really Hustle that kills it with inconsistency. However, the Crobat mention you brought up is certainly viable (I infact used Crobat through all my walkthroughs except in B/W lol). Yes, definitely go with Crobat then! Having good enough Attack to use Wing Attack/Fly is great. As for Hypnosis vs Toxic, I would pick Hypnosis to sleep dangerous foes that Crobat cannot touch (which will be plenty, such as all Rock- and Steel-types, as well as Electric-types). This also allows you to easier catch Pokemon, contrary to Toxic which hinders this concept. Toxic does have its merits in weakening foes, but when you get to the Elite Four, Full Restore spam will negate Toxic a couple of times in which I would rather Hypnosis and switch to another Pokemon for the kill.
Thanks!
Then I now have
Feraligatr
Crobat (I think I'll just shove Togepi in the daycare for the time being...you can never have too many Togepi eggs!).
Heracross
Jolteon
Arcanine

The last slot is subject to change. There'll often be an HM Slave there, and I also might trade in a Snorlax or a Garchomp or a Flygon. Or maybe I should just go with something else....I dunno. ANyhow thanks! Do you have suggestions for the last slot (my minds gone blank :))

Thanks!
Then I now have
Feraligatr
Crobat (I think I'll just shove Togepi in the daycare for the time being...you can never have too many Togepi eggs!).
Heracross
Jolteon
Arcanine

The last slot is subject to change. There'll often be an HM Slave there, and I also might trade in a Snorlax or a Garchomp or a Flygon. Or maybe I should just go with something else....I dunno. ANyhow thanks! Do you have suggestions for the last slot (my minds gone blank :))

I prefer to leave the last slot blank so you have a HM slave around you at all times. I just hate going back to the PC just to grab an HM slave and go through a dungeon without one of the guys you want to train.

I prefer to leave the last slot blank so you have a HM slave around you at all times. I just hate going back to the PC just to grab an HM slave and go through a dungeon without one of the guys you want to train.

Good point. I think I'll probably trade over a Bibarel. Thanks for all your help! Seriously, you were awesome!
EDIT: i just realized I might as well use Mew for an HM Slave. Also, should I catch a Dratini at the Blue Lake, or should i wait, then catch a Larvitar?

Last edited:

These are more Emerald Battle Frontier Pokemon that I would like to get. Note that i'm a person who really likes to have moves with the same type or similer.

Eevee Lv.50 (In training)
Quick Attack
Double Edge (need)
Protect
Helping Hand

Shiftry Lv.50 (In Training as Nuzleaf)
Leech Seed
Giga Drain
Solar Beam
Extrasensory (Need)

Metagross Lv.50 (in training as Metang)
Meteor Mash
Psychic
Metal Claw
??? (any move)

I suggest evolving Eevee.

Without Sunny Day Shrifty should never use Solar Beam. Maybe Brick Break instead.

Give Metagross Earthquake over Metal Claw. Also give it Shadow Ball.

<~ Team Overview ~>
Spr_4p_380.png
Spr_4p_212_m.png
Spr_4d_245.png

First things first, this is my first team with a TrickScarf lead, and I wanted to do it right. Latias seemed a great choice, loads of resistances, great Speed to get the jump on slower leads, and pretty sturdy with some EV investment in HP/Defense.​

Spr_4p_380.png

Then I thought, what does Latias fear most? Physical SE attacks? Of course she does, which is where my next choice came in. Scizor, the red menace of OU makes a triumphant return to my second BT team. His resistances to Bug, Dark, Dragon, Ghost, and Ice make it a great partner to Latias, while Latias resists the Fire moves that Scizor hates most,
not to mention the Water and Electric types that he can't touch with Bullet Pawnch.​

Spr_4p_380.png
Spr_4p_212_m.png

Finally, the last member of the trio. This guy comes in on Physical sweepers Latias has set up on, and sets up its own Calm Mind to make it extremely durable. Suicune's base 115 Defense and Sp. Defense takes Fire and Water type attacks with ease, and Calm Mind boosted Surf destroy them.​

Spr_4p_380.png
Spr_4p_212_m.png
Spr_4d_245.png

<~ In-Depth Analysis ~>

Spr_b_g4_380.png

TrickScarf Lead

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Bold @ Levitate
252 HP/196 Defense/60 Spd
-Trick
-Thunderwave
-Flash
-Charm​

This set was provided by the wonderful GrumpySnorlax of SerebiiForums, the EV spread is designed to outrun base 85's after I Trick the Scarf, such as Heracross and Kingdra. I spam Flash and Charm depending on the Pokemon.​

Spr_b_g4_212_m.png

Physical Sweeper / Physical Tank

Scizor @ Muscle Band/Lum Berry
Adamant @ Technician
252 HP/252 Attack/6 Defense
-X-Scissor
-Brick Break
-Bullet Pawnch
-Swords Dance​

Comes in on pokemon Latias has set on, specifically physical sweepers that have been Charmed. Sets up its own Swords Dance, and spams what ever attack is neccesary. X-Scissor for STAB, and hits Dark types that scare Latias. Brick Break takes care of Steel types that resist Bullet Pawnch. Bullet Pawnch for priority, and because no Scizor can be without it. Muscle Band for the boost without taking recoil, or Lum Berry to avoid status, still haven't decided.​

He has problems with faster special sweepers that are Fire, Water, or Electric types who resist Bullet Pawnch and smack him hard with special moves that are either SE or neutral.​

Spr_b_g4_245.png

Special Sweeper / Special Tank

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold @ Pressure
252 HP/252 Defense/6 Sp. Attack
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Calm Mind
-Substitute/HP [Electric] 50​

Comes in on special attackers that it resists or takes neutral damage from, and starts Calm Mind. Once its strong enough, gets behind a Sub and starts sweeping. Works best when its a physical sweeper that's been Charmed and can't break the Sub.​

Suicune has problems with Electric types, just like Scizor does, but if its got a few Calm Minds in, it should be fine. It does have HP [Electric], but the power isn't exactly strong, so it may not be worth the time.​

<~ Final Comments ~>

This team as several problems, right off the bat. Jolteon/Electivire can walk through this team, because of their speed and immunity to Thunderwave.​

Fast Water types that resist Bullet Pawnch and Surf/Ice Beam can give me some trouble, but Thunderwave support from Latias can help Suicune set up a few Calm Minds.​

Suicune and Scizor aren't exactly fast either, so I'll probably need Latias to stay alive as long as possible to spread Thunderwave.​

LATIAS IS SET WITH A BOLD NATURE, BUT HAS NOT BEEN EV TRAINED YET, SO THE SPREAD COULD POSSIBLY CHANGE.

SCIZOR AND SUICUNE ARE ALREADY EV TRAINED, THOUGH SCIZOR ISN'T LEVEL 100.

So go ahead, let me hear what you think, I hope this is in the proper section, apparently BF teams aren't considered "competitive".​
Just noticed this..
You know, I noticed a team just like this a while back, and I think you should replace Latias with Spiritomb. Trick to cripple them, then Grudge to get rid of PP. Have Scizor with Roost, Swords Dance, Bullet Punch, Subtitute. This way, while they Struggle, you get to +6 boost, Roost to max health, then Sub, and Bullet Punch away. It's a very nasty but powerful strategy, since the opponent doesn't switch in Battle Tower.

This is for the battle frontier.

Metagross (lead)
Adamant
Lum Berry
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Bullet Punch

Heatran
Modest
Leftovers
248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 SpD
Dig (Hoping to replace with Rest)
Protect (hoping to replace with sleep talk)
Lava Plume
Earth Power

Can swith in on fire attacks aimed at Metagross and Dragon attacks aimed at Kingdra.

Kingdra
Impish
(not sure of which item)
252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SpD
Rest
Sleep talk
Dragon Dance
Outrage

Any suggestions? Theres a lot of Ground and Fighting weaknesses... so yeah.

i'd suggest a chesto berry for Kingdra... It allows you to effectively full restore once, and pretty much gives him a second chance in case you need it. Your Metagross appears to be missing a move, though... And i, myself, hesitate to put more than one of any type into a team, to protect me from being able to be put in a tight spot. I might suggest a Tyranitar with the following moveset to replace Heatran or Metagross.

Tyranitar
-Aerial Ace (combats fighting types)
-Avalanche (combats ground and dragon types, and since Tytar statistically has better physical {in my experience})
-Earthquake
-Crunch

I do realize that Sand Stream might prove to be an issue, and that Tyranitar doesn't help your Ground/Fighting weakness, but this general moveset (or parallels for it) should prove useful

I would suggest using a Gallade on your team. this would pritty much cover your fighting weakness and possibly the ground if fighting moves are super affective.
I would say something like this:
Gallade Lv.100 or 50
white herb
Close Combat
Psyco Cut
Protect
Brick Break

K all i hav to do in my game is beat red here is my in-game team
Brongzong Lvl 36
Stealth Rock
Explosion
Charge beam
Psychic

Mew Lvl 43
Fly
surf
whirlpool
waterfall

Venasaur lvl 42
Cut
Rock Smash
Strentgh
Rockclimb

Gyarados lvl 54
Dragon Dance
Thunder
Ice Fang
Water pulse

Lucario lvl 64
ExtremeSpeed
Aura sphere
Earthquake
Dragon Pulse

K all i hav to do in my game is beat red here is my in-game team
Brongzong Lvl 36
Stealth Rock
Explosion
Charge beam
Psychic

Mew Lvl 43
Fly
surf
whirlpool
waterfall

Venasaur lvl 42
Cut
Rock Smash
Strentgh
Rockclimb

Gyarados lvl 54
Dragon Dance
Thunder
Ice Fang
Water pulse

Lucario lvl 64
ExtremeSpeed
Aura sphere
Earthquake
Dragon Pulse
OK, you need to level up your pokemon like CRAZY. I sincerely doubt you'll beat Red's Pikachu with this team.

Gyarados's moveset is terrible. WHy have Dragon Dance with only one physical move? It should be more like:
Dragon Dance
Ice Fang
Waterfall
Physical move.

Lucario...I prefer a Physical set, but whatever floats your boat.

Venusaur and Mew are HM Slaves? If so, why such a high level?
Bronzong is OK.

Listen, you need to level up your pokemon, then change some movesets. I've already talked about Gyara and Lucario, so Venusaur can learn something like Sludge Bomb, Sleep Powder, Synthesis, and Energy Ball. The thing is, if you're fighting Red you only need one HM Slave. Your pokemon should be at least level 65, and that's pushing it.
Your current moveset on Mew is as an HM Slave. Keep it that way, but don't train it.
If this is in-game...actually, Stealth Rock is useful for Red's Charizard. You can lead off with Bronzong and give it a Focus Sash. Set up Rocks, and then explode if you still can. You'll get rid of Red's Pikachu that way.
You also need one more pokemon. RIght now you have
Steel/Psychic
Water/Flying
Grass/Poison
Fighting/Steel
HM Slave
Thus, I think that you're final pokemon should be a fire type...Arcanine or Houndoom would fit well.
Hoe I helped!

team improvements =P

first ever wi-fi battle, and, after a rather painful and quick defeat, I want you other fellow people to help me improve upon my team and strategies. so:

crobat:
lvl 100
item: king's rock
zen headbutt
cross poison
fly
toxic

empoleon:
lvl 100
item: scope lens
flash cannon
hydro cannon
ice beam
surf

venusaur
lvl 100
item: wide lens
giga drain
sleep powder
giga impact
leech seed

regigigas
lvl 100
item: leftovers
iron head
rock slide
dizzy punch
crush grip

mew
lvl 100
item: wise glasses
psychic
aura sphere
metronome
nasty plot

ho-oh
lvl 100
item: earth plate
earthquake
sacred fire
sky attack
overheat

If you want, please post your opinion and, if any, your hints on improving my team. thanks =)

Re: team improvements =P

Here goes

first ever wi-fi battle, and, after a rather painful and quick defeat, I want you other fellow people to help me improve upon my team and strategies. so:

crobat:
lvl 100
item: king's rock
zen headbutt
cross poison
fly
toxic
Crobat isn't really a good anti-lead. I would run something more along the lines of Crobat@Leftovers, Taunt, Brave Bird, Roost, U-Turn. It doesn't look like you're EV training, and you need to.

empoleon:
lvl 100
item: scope lens
flash cannon
hydro cannon
ice beam
surf
Ugh. OK, Hydro Cannon is like the worst move ever. Replace this set with something like a SubPetaya Empoleon (monstrous).

venusaur
lvl 100
item: wide lens
giga drain
sleep powder
giga impact
leech seed

UGh. Again, Giga IMpact? Not a good idea. The opponent can just bring intheir physical wall like Skarm or Forrey then set up while you recharge. I'd run a special sweeper set.
regigigas
lvl 100
item: leftovers
iron head
rock slide
dizzy punch
crush grip

Don't use Gigas. I'm not saying he's bad, but without proper support he'll die in 10 seconds. With a set like this he won't stand a chance.

mew
lvl 100
item: wise glasses
psychic
aura sphere
metronome
nasty plot

ho-oh
lvl 100
item: earth plate
earthquake
sacred fire
sky attack
overheat

Bad movesets to begin with. Metronome? That's luck based, and highly irregular. Trust me, you do not want to ed up with using Explosion on a Ghost type.Plus, they're Uber.

If you want, please post your opinion and, if any, your hints on improving my team. thanks =)
No offense, but your team doesn't fit any tiers whatsoever, and it's pretty badly built. I've tried to help, but let me give you some advice.
In in-game playing, this would work, but here, you have to use Strategy, not brute force. Lay traps, etc., etc. This team would die to Skarmory as it is. I'd advise reading these.
Good luck!

@skynet
I am do not currently have a competitive team and a "normal" team. if you think this belongs elsewhere, if you could be kind enough to send me link?

@flame battler
I am teaching myself how to ev train. if you could suggest what to replace in terms of regigigas, ho-oh and mew, that would be great :D thanks.

P.s. what is a "SubPetaya Empoleon (monstrous)"?

@skynet
I am do not currently have a competitive team and a "normal" team. if you think this belongs elsewhere, if you could be kind enough to send me link?

@flame battler
I am teaching myself how to ev train. if you could suggest what to replace in terms of regigigas, ho-oh and mew, that would be great :D thanks.

P.s. what is a "SubPetaya Empoleon (monstrous)"?

Have to agree with Skynet on this one, it is an in-game team. HOwever, if you want suggestions...
Anyhow, first thing you want is something to set up stuff. Since you lead with Crobat, I'd suggest getting Nidoqueen and Drapion. Though this is a biased suggestion, they have some perks. With Crobat, you can U-Turn out to Nidoqueen ordinarily after Taunting the oppoenent, who'll then set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. If it's something like an Azelf, go to Drapion, who'll then kill Azelf with Pursuit. If Azelf is LO or carrying Fire Blast, go back to nIdoqueen.
SubPetaya Empoleon is a smogon strategy that is extremely deadly when played correctly.
I'd actually suggest rewriting this team from th beginning, since you didn't have a very good foundation. ONe good idea ina team is to pick a pokemon you want to use that works well (for me, it's sceptile), then build your team around that. If you need help building a team, feel free to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom