• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

I need to know what i should add or subtract from my future team. I will have a Gengar, sudowoodo, flareon, azumarill and togetic. i need to know what i should add for my final slot any help is appreciated.

Can I kindly know what game you're playing? THat way I know your options. I'll just rattle off some info though.
Gengar is awesome. Give it something like Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb, and something else and it'll do fine.

Sudowoodo=No. It's just not as good as Steelix, and you can get Onix from an in-game trade.

Flareon: The worst Eeveelution. Replace it with something else, since Flareon has awesome attack with no good attacking moves.

Azumarill: Meh, not my favoirte but that's personal. It's a good poke.

Togetic is awesome, and when it evolves to Togekiss it's insane.
Final slot...hmm, I think you should get a physical attacker. Again, I don't knwo your options without knowing your game, so if you post that I can give you more precise options.

Can I kindly know what game you're playing? THat way I know your options. I'll just rattle off some info though.
Gengar is awesome. Give it something like Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb, and something else and it'll do fine.

Sudowoodo=No. It's just not as good as Steelix, and you can get Onix from an in-game trade.

Flareon: The worst Eeveelution. Replace it with something else, since Flareon has awesome attack with no good attacking moves.

Azumarill: Meh, not my favoirte but that's personal. It's a good poke.

Togetic is awesome, and when it evolves to Togekiss it's insane.
Final slot...hmm, I think you should get a physical attacker. Again, I don't knwo your options without knowing your game, so if you post that I can give you more precise options.

I am currently playing Heart Gold, again thank you for your input on improving my team.

I need to know what i should add or subtract from my future team. I will have a Gengar, sudowoodo, flareon, azumarill and togetic. i need to know what i should add for my final slot any help is appreciated.

Gengar is just one of those Pokes that makes every playthrough worth playing through. Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball make it an awesome Special threat, which in HG/SS is really all you need.

Sudowoodo does get a few tricks that make it unique, especially its pure Rock Typing. It also has surprisingly decent coverage, getting Wood Hammer, Hammer Arm, Sucker Punch, Rock Slide, and Double-Edge all before Level 50. Depending on the ability, Double-Edge and Wood Hammer could be invaluable.

Flareon can't do anything notably awesome until after the League, and even then it doesn't do too much. I personally find Ninetales and Arcanine to be great Fire Type choices.

Azumarill isn't cool if it doesn't have Huge Power. If it does, keep it forever, because it can do some awesome sweeps.

Togetic is pretty bad in my opinion. With no access to a Shiny Stone to evolve it, I'd skip it. Any Flying Type would be better pretty much.

Final Slot needs to go to someone who will cover whatever Types wall you the hardest right now. That all depends on any other changes you make to the team though. You may not even NEED anything in that last slot. In any case, I like Lanturn as an addition, as it provides another Water Type to the team so Azumarill doesn't have to be all Water offensively, and also gives STAB Electric attacks, as well as learning Ice Beam via TM.

Rate my Pokemon Soul Silver Team

Please rate my Soul Silver Pokemon team and give suggestions on Pokemon and movesets.

Espeon
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Attract
Morning Sun

Amphoras
Thunder Bolt
Signal Beam
Power Gem
Fire Punch

Heracross
Close Combat
Megahorn
Stone Edge
Aerial Ace

Arbok
Sludge Bomb
Crunch
Thunder Fang
Ice Fang

Victreebell
Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
Toxic
Leaf Blade

Feraligator
Ice Fang
Crunch
Aqua Tail
Superpower

Last edited:
Re: Rate my Pokemon Soul Silver Team

Please rate my Soul Silver Pokemon team and give suggestions on Pokemon and movesets.

Espeon
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Attract
Morning Sun

Amphoras
Thunder Bolt
Signal Beam
Power Gem
Fire Punch

Heracross
Close Combat
Megahorn
Stone Edge
Aerial Ace

Arbok
Sludge Bomb
Crunch
Thunder Fang
Ice Fang

Victreebell
Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
Toxic
Leaf Blade

Feraligator
Ice Fang
Crunch
Aqua Tail
Superpower

You're team seems to be pretty well balence espcially since you don't use all OU's and include some UU(i swear people underestimate them). I see only one major flaw, and that is that your team is a pure sweeper team. I myself use a lot of attack moves but you should consider throwing in some status inflictors or maybe some status curers. I myself am not sure what pokemon to use if you could give me some advice in return it would be much appreciated. I am considering using the following: Ariados,Gengar,Sudowoodo,Corsola,Flareon,Gligar,Azumarill,Bellosom,Yanmega,Togetic, Slowking,Ampharos,Crobat. I am taking suggestions because i am entering a friendly tournament in a week.

Last edited:

For you, Endgamevillian, for the pokemon for the tournament, I would suggest using Gengar, Flareon, Slowking, Ampharos, Crobat and Bellosom.

For you, Endgamevillian, for the pokemon for the tournament, I would suggest using Gengar, Flareon, Slowking, Ampharos, Crobat and Bellosom.

I must object to Flareon. He has great stats but possibly the worst selection in the game. Special attacks with a great attack is wasted. Use something like Arcanine.

I disagree that Flareon has great stats. Flareon has great offenses and special defense, but that's about it. It's slow and fragile on the physically defensive side and whatever it does something else does better. Slow and fragile are bad double whammy to have, so I wouldn't blame the movepool alone.

The rest of your post I agree with though, in most cases Arcanine is better

I disagree that Flareon has great stats. Flareon has great offenses and special defense, but that's about it. It's slow and fragile on the physically defensive side and whatever it does something else does better. Slow and fragile are bad double whammy to have, so I wouldn't blame the movepool alone.

The rest of your post I agree with though, in most cases Arcanine is better

Well, yeah. You're right there. let me rephrase myself. It has decent but utterly useless stats, since it's movepool doesn't have good synergy with those stats.

I've recently restarted both Platinum and HeartGold and decided to go for ridiculously similar teams, as well as trying to keep both teams relatively close together in terms of level. All Pokémon were specially bred and traded over to their respective games in eggs, then traded back for tutoring of specific moves if it was required. I didn't pay any attention to their IVs, purely for the sake of moving the whole thing along.

This whole thing was just a bit of fun and it's not some serious experiment.

I've been watching a lot of the anime recently, and couldn't resist using Pikachu on both teams. :p

HeartGold
HG1.png

Pikachu ♂ Lv. 32
NATURE
Modest
HELD ITEM
Light Ball
MOVES
Thunderbolt
Grass Knot
Signal Beam
Swift

HG3.png

Butterfree ♂ Lv. 30
NATURE
Modest
HELD ITEM
Quick Claw
MOVES
Signal Beam
Gust
Psychic
Sleep Powder

HG2.png

Pidgeotto ♂ Lv. 30
NATURE
Adamant
HELD ITEM
Metal Coat
MOVES
Return
Aerial Ace
Steel Wing
Fly

HG4.png

Bayleef ♂ Lv. 28
NATURE
Adamant
HELD ITEM
Leftovers
MOVES
Seed Bomb
Strength
Protect
Toxic

HG5.png

Quilava ♂ Lv. 28
NATURE
Modest
HELD ITEM
Silk Scarf
MOVES
Flamethrower
Extrasensory
Swift
Rock Smash

HG6.png

Croconaw ♂ Lv. 28
NATURE
Adamant
HELD ITEM
Nevermeltice
MOVES
Waterfall
Ice Punch
Dig
Surf

Platinum
HG1.png

Pikachu ♂ Lv. 29
NATURE
Modest
HELD ITEM
Light Ball
MOVES
Thunderbolt
Grass Knot
Signal Beam
Swift

PT3.png

Beautifly ♂ Lv. 27
NATURE
Modest
HELD ITEM
Quick Claw
MOVES
Signal Beam
Gust
Psychic
Stun Spore

PT2.png

Staravia ♂ Lv. 27
NATURE
Adamant
HELD ITEM
Metal Coat
MOVES
Return
Wing Attack
Steel Wing
Fly

PT4.png

Grotle ♂ Lv. 25
NATURE
Adamant
HELD ITEM
Leftovers
MOVES
Seed Bomb
Strength
Protect
Toxic

PT5.png

Monferno ♂ Lv. 25
NATURE
Modest
HELD ITEM
Adamant
MOVES
Fire Punch
Rock Smash
Thunderpunch
Shadow Claw

PT6.png

Prinplup ♂ Lv. 25
NATURE
Modest
HELD ITEM
BrightPowder
MOVES
Surf
Ice Beam
Protect
Yawn

EDIT:
Azumarill isn't cool if it doesn't have Huge Power. If it does, keep it forever, because it can do some awesome sweeps.

Here, here! I absolutely adore my Huge Power Azumarill. Got to be one of the best Water-types I've ever had.

Last edited:

This is my planned pokemon fire red team.

Venasaur
Giga Drain
Razor Leaf
Sludge Bomb
Earthquake

Vaporeon
Surf
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball

Arcanine
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Bite
Extreemspeed

Hitmonchan
Sky Uppercut
Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch

Electabuzz
Thunderbolt
Brick Break
Iron Tail
Strength

Rhydon
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Megahorn
Toxic

...Nevermind on my team. I know how I want it now for the Platinum E4.

I followed some of the advice but got whomped on so here is my revised team.
Gengar
Crobat
Gliscor
Lanturn
Tangrowth
Porygon-Z

Any feedback is appreicated.

Your team looks good. Some good combos with your pokemon could be:
Gengar
Moves
Hypnosis
Dream Eater

Tangrowth
Moves
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Ability
Clorophil

I didn't know Pikachu could get signal beam. Btw, Captain Kipper, why are you running a Modest Monferno with all physical attacks? That doesn't make any sense AT ALL! The best Nature for Monferno/Infernape is Naive/Hasty for a mix ape. Jolly if you want to use a physical Ape. Timid if you want to run a special ape.

Since you have a modest Monferno, your grass knot TM should have definitely went on him. Grass knot hits heavy enemies like Golem and Rhyperior for a lot of damage, while targeting their weak special defense. Close Combat works too, but at the same time they have better physical defense. There is a chance they may survive due to your EV spreads being all kinds of fucked up and the possibility of your Infernape having low IV's.

If I had to use a Modest Monferno in game I'd have:

Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Close Combat
Nasty Plot/Filler

The problem with Nasty Plot is you have to keep Chimchar unevolved until level 25 to acquire it. You miss out on Mach Punch if you do that, although you always have Brick Break.

While you have a -Attack nature, Close Combat still rips anything weak to fighting wide open. Keep in mind there are five types weak to fighting. That ties with ground for the most advantages. Defensive drops don't matter when motherfuckers are dying left and right. I had a timid Infernape and close combat still works just fine. I'm one of the few fools who prefers Fire Blast, because if the 80% accuracy from stone edge is acceptable, then FB is fine too.

Last edited:

I was pointed this way, yet again, I'm looking to build an in-game team in Diamond, would this be the appropriate place to get some advice on that?

Here. Do you have a starting point at all? Do you have any idea what you want to use?

Here. Do you have a starting point at all? Do you have any idea what you want to use?

Yes in a sense, I want a strong in game team, but I want to use pokemon I haven't used already in my final games in previous games. I'll list them for reference only:

Pearl: Infernape, Luxray, Mismagius, Gastrodon, Abomasnow, and Vespiquen.

Platinum: Torterra, Houndoom, Floatzel, Staraptor, Rotom, Gliscor

Since I've used Infernape and Torterra, Naturally my starter will be Empoleon. Here is a list I set up of pokemon I'd love to use which are available (mostly) in Diamond (I just can't get a good team set up from it):

Skorupi, Carnivine, Stunky, Murkrow, Chansey, Steelix, Lucario, Gible, Bronzor, Beautifly, Ponyta, Lopunny, Glaceon

any others you could suggest I'll consider easily. I just want something different. Sorry this was such a long reply.

Well remembering my run with Piplup in Platinum, Grass types can prove to be a challenge early in the game so anything that could help with that is a good thing. Empoleon is also weak to Fighting so I think if you're looking for type synergy Beautifly is the best choice out of all of those. Skorupi, Murkrow, Ponyta, and Bronzor are also good choices.

Well remembering my run with Piplup in Platinum, Grass types can prove to be a challenge early in the game so anything that could help with that is a good thing. Empoleon is also weak to Fighting so I think if you're looking for type synergy Beautifly is the best choice out of all of those. Skorupi, Murkrow, Ponyta, and Bronzor are also good choices.

I hate to sound stupid but "synergy"? I'm not familar with the term.

Is there a reason you didn't choose any of the others? I am curious to hear your reason for weeding them out.

Back
Top Bottom