• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Dialga needs to be removed. No legendaries allowed in a run.

Do you have any caught and in reserve in the PC Box?

Dialga needs to be removed. No legendaries allowed in a run.

Do you have any caught and in reserve in the PC Box?

Legends ARE allowed if they are the first pokemon in the area. I have seen people use legends on the site. Anyway to answer your question NO! Everybody who was useful has died :(

Thanks, but there's one problem there. I can't trade with anybody to get those evolutions. I caught a Nidoran(F) and evolved it, but I'm now going against Whittney.

Croconaw: Level 23, Female, Timid
-Ice Fang
-Bite
-Water Gun
-Scratch

Looks good, though the nature is a bit disappointing. It's fine in-game though, just level up.

Flaaffy: Level 22, Female, Calm
-Thundershock
-Growl
-Tackle
-Thunder Wave
Still fine.

Sandslash: Level 22, Female, Lonely(Holding Shell Bell) Sand Veil Ability
-Crush Claw
-Cut
-Rollout
-Rock Smash(NOT a HM slave)
You know, you should get better moves the second you hit Blackthorn. Sandslash is quite a nice pokemon actually, you should do well with this guy.

Golbat: Level 22, Male, Timid, (Holding Soothe Bell) Inner Focus Ability
-Bite
-Confuse Ray
-Leech Life
-Wing Attack
What do you ant to do here? I'm thinking that eventually, you want Confuse Ray, it's incredibly useful.

Nidorina: Level 18, Female, Lonely(Holding Quick Claw)Rivalry Ability
-Poison Sting
-Double Kick
-Tail Whip
-Scratch
Change nature. Most in game pokemon are male, so that's not going to help you much.

Sunkern: Level 12, Male, Jolly Chlorophyll Ability
-Absorb
-Mega Drain
-Ingrain
-Growth ( I know I need to level him up, but I just caught him and I'm trying the bug contest to get a Sun Stone. :p) Okay, so I'm planning on leveling up the two new pokemon to at least 22, but should I evolve the last two sooner or later?? Thanks Again

Back Again :p Bout to cross the sea to fight Chuck and Eusine.

Feraligatr, Female, Level 30, Timid
-Surf
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Scratch (What should I replace Scratch with?)

Crobat Male, Level 27, Timid
-Wing Attack
-Air Cutter
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Sandslash, Female, Level 29, Lonely,
-Rock Smash
-Rollout
-Cut
-Crush Claw (What should I replace the two HMs with when I get to Blackthorn? I still wanna have at least one fighting type move... Is there one that he can learn?

Flaaffy, Female, Level 26, Calm
-Thundershock
-Tackle
-Growl
-Thunder Wave ( Okay, so I want to replace Growl and Tackle, and I'm going to wait til she gets above 30, and learns Signal Beam and Discharge.)

Nidorina, Female, Level 26, Lonely
-Shadow Claw
-Bite
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting( I wanna to keep Shadow Claw, Bite, and Double Kick, so what should I replace Poison Sting with?

Sunflora, Female, Level 26, Jolly
-Mega Drain
-Leech Seed
-Ingrain
-GrassWhistle(Idk here...)

This is my team. I beg of you to give suggestions of better moves and pokemon,it would really help. Thanks in advance!

Gengar @life orb w/levitate
-focus blast
-thunderbolt
-shadow ball
-explosion

Machamp @leftovers w/ no guard
-substitute
-dynamicpunch
-stone edge
-payback

Lapras @none w/ water absorb
-toxic
-ice beam
-hydro pump
-thunderbolt

Blissey @leftovers with natural cure
-ice beam
-soft-boiled
-seismic toss
-toxic

Dragonite @persim berry w/ inner focus
-outrage
-dragon dance
-roost
-earthquake

Tyranitar @razor claw w/ sand stream
-stone edge
-earthquake
-crunch
-flamethrower

I also have plenty of other substitutes. Tell me if you want any of their setups.
The subs are:
Charizard, swampert, lucario, blastoise, poliwrath, gallade, muk, slaking, slowbro, electivire, arbok, aggron, articuno, gardevoir, golem, camerupt, regice, weezing, metagross, gliscor, alakazam, rhyperior, arcanine, magmortar, victreebel, kangaskhan, yanmega, crobat, staraptor, snorlax, probopass, and rapidash

Yes these are ALL lvl 100

This is my team. I beg of you to give suggestions of better moves and pokemon,it would really help. Thanks in advance!

Gengar @life orb w/levitate
-focus blast
-thunderbolt
-shadow ball
-explosion

Machamp @leftovers w/ no guard
-substitute
-dynamicpunch
-stone edge
-payback

Lapras @none w/ water absorb
-toxic
-ice beam
-hydro pump
-thunderbolt

Blissey @leftovers with natural cure
-ice beam
-soft-boiled
-seismic toss
-toxic

Dragonite @persim berry w/ inner focus
-outrage
-dragon dance
-roost
-earthquake

Tyranitar @razor claw w/ sand stream
-stone edge
-earthquake
-crunch
-flamethrower

I also have plenty of other substitutes. Tell me if you want any of their setups.
The subs are:
Charizard, swampert, lucario, blastoise, poliwrath, gallade, muk, slaking, slowbro, electivire, arbok, aggron, articuno, gardevoir, golem, camerupt, regice, weezing, metagross, gliscor, alakazam, rhyperior, arcanine, magmortar, victreebel, kangaskhan, yanmega, crobat, staraptor, snorlax, probopass, and rapidash

Yes these are ALL lvl 100

If they're all Level 100 I don't think you really need more in-game. Competitively I could understand, but not in-game.
Separately, on HG...
For a Dark type, would an RNG'd Spiritomb be better or an RNG'd Ttar?

If they're all Level 100 I don't think you really need more in-game. Competitively I could understand, but not in-game.
Separately, on HG...
For a Dark type, would an RNG'd Spiritomb be better or an RNG'd Ttar?

Lol sry I'll make my own thread then. I'm not too sure about spiritomb I'm more fond of the kanto pokemon. I would try it, but not in the space of tyranitar. Tyranitar uses razor claw and stone edge for a high critical hit chance, so I use him as a last resort almost. I'd rather replace gengar or lapras, I'm not too sure about either of them

TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Hi, all! I know this will be in the wrong forum but I AM DESPERATE FOR SOME QUICK HELP

I made a small bet with my cousin on christmas day to beat him in the original blue / red / yellow version

I need help to make the -MOST RIGGED TEAM- possible.

Mewtwo, mew, legendary birds all allowed.

I need the TEAM + MOVESET.

Thanks.

I was thinking something like:

Mewtwo
Mew
lendary bird x 3
+ 1 more .. gyarados perhaps?

Or would this team be really noob? Thanks

PS: I see people using starmie and stuff but are those only for non legendary battles ect? I need the best team possible + moveset all allowed.

Hi, all! I know this will be in the wrong forum but I AM DESPERATE FOR SOME QUICK HELP

I made a small bet with my cousin on christmas day to beat him in the original blue / red / yellow version

I need help to make the -MOST RIGGED TEAM- possible.

Mewtwo, mew, legendary birds all allowed.

I need the TEAM + MOVESET.

Thanks.

I was thinking something like:

Mewtwo
Mew
lendary bird x 3
+ 1 more .. gyarados perhaps?

Or would this team be really noob? Thanks

PS: I see people using starmie and stuff but are those only for non legendary battles ect? I need the best team possible + moveset all allowed.

Basically you want to spam it with Psychic types. Ditch the birds.

Hi all this is my Platinum team.
Please rate ;)
Suggestions for good hold item are also appreciated.
Thanks!

389.gif

Torterra lv. 81
Impish nature.
Overgrow ability.
Moves:
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Leech Seed

398.gif

Staraptor lv. 72
Relaxed nature.
Intimidate ability.
Moves:
- Aerial Ace
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double Team (thinking to replace it with Return)

462.gif

Magnezone lv. 69
Sassy nature.
Sturdy ability.
Moves:
- Discharge
- Mirror Shot (I know Flash Cannon is better. I am just lazy... :dumb:)
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave

073.gif

Tentacruel lv. 67
Rash nature.
Clear Body ability.
Moves:
- Surf
- Poison Jab
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Beam

475.gif

Gallade lv. 61
Adamant nature. (lucky to get one)
Steadfast ability.
Moves:
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat
- Slash (need to be replaced... any suggestion?)
- Sword Dance

485.gif

Heatran lv. 58
Bold nature.
Flash Fire ability.
Moves:
- Lava Plume
- Crunch
- Metal Sound
- Scary Face
(need to level it up more to get some good moves ;p)

Lol sry I'll make my own thread then. I'm not too sure about spiritomb I'm more fond of the kanto pokemon. I would try it, but not in the space of tyranitar. Tyranitar uses razor claw and stone edge for a high critical hit chance, so I use him as a last resort almost. I'd rather replace gengar or lapras, I'm not too sure about either of them

By the way, don't make your own thread till you have some sort of strategy in mind and EVs, or no one will be able to help. I'm serious, there needs to be synergy.

I have one though it's a single one only

Azelf
Moves
Flamethrower
Psychic
Shadow ball
Thunderbolt

^are those good moves or should I switch them for others?

That's pretty good, you might want to replace Shadow ball with Focus Blast, though.

HeartGold, Fighting Team Rocket, beaten Pryce.

Feraligatr(F) 35, Timid, Torrent @Mystic Water
-Crunch
-Surf
-Ice Fang
-Scratch(To be replaced with Slash.)

Ampharos(F) 34, Calm, Static @Magnet
-Discharge
-Thundershock
-Tackle
-Thunder Wave

Miltank(F) 34, Mild, Scrappy @Kings Rock
-Body Slam
-Strength
-Zen Headbutt
-Milk Drink

Flareon(M) 34, Docile, Flash Fire, @Silk Scarf
-Bite
-Quick Attack
-Tackle
-Tail Whip(To be replaced with a fire type move.)

Scyther(M) 34, Jolly, Technician, @???
-Wing Attack
-Slash
-Razor Wind
-U-Turn

Crobat(M) 34, Timid, Inner Focus, @???
-Confuse Ray
-Bite
-Mean Look
-Fly
(Mean Look is only to help with entei and raikou. When I get to Blackthorn, this will be replaced with Cross Poison.)

Any Ideas for Items, changes in team/natures/pokemon, etc.? It's greatly appreciated.

okay, about to take on the johto e4

Bellossom
sludge bomb
magical leaf
sleep powder
hyper beam

vulpix(evolving it as soon as I get a fire stone)
flamethrower
dark pulse
iron tail(replacing but dunno with what)
confuse ray(replace?)

feraligatr
surf
earthquake
ice fang
focus blast(going to replace with another fighting move later)

misdreavus(evolving when I get a dusk stone)
shadow ball (ftw)
thunder(replacing with shock wave or thunderbolt when I get either)
pain split(replacing with perish song later)
psybeam (replacing with psychic when I get one)

Right, I’ve tried over and over and over, and can only get to about 45 wins in the battle tower (aiming for 50+). I thought I’d assembled a good team - all 3 of them cover each other well... maybe I just need to get better at predicting the opponent’s attacks and acting accordingly. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Lead: Bronzong (levitate)
252 Defence/252 Spec Defence/8 HP
Nature: Sassy
Item: Choice Scarf
~ Toxic
~ Trick
~ Stealth Rock
~ Protect

Strategy here is probably obvious. I lead with Bronzong, then proceed with trick to get the opponent stuck in a loop. If possible, Bronzong uses stealth rock, and then one of the other two members of the team will be switched in (depending on the type of move being used). If neither of these is appropriate, then I get Bronzong to use toxic and then protect itself as much as possible while the foe’s HP decreases. This leaves a predictable point at which I can use trick again, before the foe faints from the effects of toxic. I then have the choice scarf back to use on the next pokemon.

Latios
252 special attack/252 speed/8 HP
Nature: Modest
Item: Focus sash
~ Dragon pulse
~ Calm mind
~ Ice beam
~ Thunderbolt

With any luck, the opponent will be tricked into using a non-attacking move, which leaves the perfect opportunity to switch in Latios and use calm mind to maximise both special attack and special defence. I used this moveset with the advice of another FM earlier on in the thread (though I’m sticking with dragon pulse over draco meter, because I’m keen to use only attacks that have 100% accuracy). Once this has been achieved, the rest of the match is usually a breeze. Even if the opponent gets an attack in first, Latios has the focus sash for insurance.

Heatran
252 special attack/252 defence/8 HP
Nature: Rash
Item: Lum berry
~ Earth power
~ Flamethrower
~ Sunny day
~ Solar beam

Heatran totally covers Latios’s weaknesses and so it is often more suitable to switch it in instead, depending on the move being used. A fire type, of course, is brilliant, as it boosts Heatran’s fire moves and has no effect thereafter (this is a common enough occurrence given that it is Bronzong’s only weakness). Heatran can, therefore, set up with sunny day before eliminating the opponent. If the next pokemon is a water or ground type, Heatran is in the position to eliminate them with solar beam. At risk of a ground move getting in first, Latios can be switched in instead to no effect.

Heatran is probably the most problematic one listed here. I really should’ve EV trained it in speed instead of defence – it’s not painfully slow, but at critical moments it often fails to get the first (crucial) attack in. Its 4x weakness to ground is also really annoying – if the other two are already down then it doesn’t stand much of a chance. It’s also got no way to boost its special attack like Latios has.

I did recently try switching Heatran for the following:

Rampardos
252 attack/252 speed/8 HP
Nature: Adamant
Item: Focus sash (Latios was given the lum berry)
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
~ Rock polish
~ Fire punch

I haven’t written Rampardos off completely, but it didn’t seem to work as well as Heatran, as it doesn’t have as many resistances and has virtually the same weaknesses (save the 4x weakness to ground). Primarily, it doesn’t compliment the other 2 in the same way. Rock polish is obviously a good way to set up, but it rarely has the opportunity to do so as its defences are so weak all round.

So, really, I’m after a bit of general advice. Should I, perhaps, try and get a load of EV reducing berries (or perhaps a new Heatran…) and EV train the latter in speed rather than defence? Is there another pokemon that I haven’t thought of that would do the job just as well? Should my TrickScarf lead be switched for someone else? Any recommendations for the movesets, items, general strategy, etc?

Like I say, perhaps I just need the practice – i.e. getting used to the opponents that may have moves that will OHKO my pokemon and switching when I need to. I should probably give up, but it’s actually quite fun once you get the initial battles out of the way!

Thanks

i use this team for online battle on PBR and it does pretty well, but i was wondering whether i could improve the team. this team is a doubles battle, sand storm and trick room team, which explains the low speed for most of the pokemon

tyranitar: @???
-crunch
-ice fang
-earthquake
-rock slide
tyranitar usually sets up sandstorm for the rest of the team, is doesnt give that many benefits to anyone other than cacturne, but it does help slowly deterioate the opponents health and stopping leftovers

cradily: @leftovers
-stealth rock
-toxic
-energy ball
-earth power
cardily usually comes out with tyranitar, he usually sets up a stealth rock and then either toxic or attacks the opponent if he has a type advantage

armaldo: @focus sash
-x-scissor
-earthquake
-stone edge
-aerial ace
armaldo if pretty much here to destroy everything in its path, focus sash is so surf doesnt take it out in one shot, x-scissor is very handy for taking out the likes of mewtwo and darkrai.

swampert: @expert belt
-waterfall
-earthquake
-ice punch
-hammer arm
swampert gives the team a much needed water type, he is powerful and allows for an easy take out, also hammer arm is handy for when bronzong sets up trick room

bronzong: @quick claw
-trick room
-hypnosis
-dream eater
-gyro ball
bronzong is one of the main pokemon on my team, setting up trick room then forcing the pokemon to fall asleep, this thing has managed to take mewtwo out by itself

cacturne: @???
-thunder punch
-seed bomb
-dark pulse
-leech seed
cacturne is one ive just added onto my team, he is a great offensive pokemon and can take out some very strong pokemon. the only problem i have is its terrible defences, im thinking about putting a focus sash oh him like armaldo

i use this team for online battle on PBR and it does pretty well, but i was wondering whether i could improve the team. this team is a doubles battle, sand storm and trick room team, which explains the low speed for most of the pokemon

tyranitar: @???
-crunch
-ice fang
-earthquake
-rock slide
tyranitar usually sets up sandstorm for the rest of the team, is doesnt give that many benefits to anyone other than cacturne, but it does help slowly deterioate the opponents health and stopping leftovers

cradily: @leftovers
-stealth rock
-toxic
-energy ball
-earth power
cardily usually comes out with tyranitar, he usually sets up a stealth rock and then either toxic or attacks the opponent if he has a type advantage

armaldo: @focus sash
-x-scissor
-earthquake
-stone edge
-aerial ace
armaldo if pretty much here to destroy everything in its path, focus sash is so surf doesnt take it out in one shot, x-scissor is very handy for taking out the likes of mewtwo and darkrai.

swampert: @expert belt
-waterfall
-earthquake
-ice punch
-hammer arm
swampert gives the team a much needed water type, he is powerful and allows for an easy take out, also hammer arm is handy for when bronzong sets up trick room

bronzong: @quick claw
-trick room
-hypnosis
-dream eater
-gyro ball
bronzong is one of the main pokemon on my team, setting up trick room then forcing the pokemon to fall asleep, this thing has managed to take mewtwo out by itself

cacturne: @???
-thunder punch
-seed bomb
-dark pulse
-leech seed
cacturne is one ive just added onto my team, he is a great offensive pokemon and can take out some very strong pokemon. the only problem i have is its terrible defences, im thinking about putting a focus sash oh him like armaldo

This isn't built right for Doubles at all. It's Blocky, which is bad for Doubles, try to make it so you get through battles rapidly, you can't stall in Doubles.

Back
Top Bottom