• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

ok thanks ill try and fix it up

TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

I am going to do my first play through of SoulSilver (on my way to get MewTwo!). I have completed Pokemon platinum and I want to make the most out of my SoulSilver. Can anyone suggested some very interesting pokemon to catch in SoulSilver to help make my party better, or some to bring over from Platinum that might have been ignored on a regular play through?

I brought a Omanyte over from my Diamond game and it made for a very intresting playthrough. Also Pincer is good, it gets X-scissor at only Lv30.

I am going to do my first play through of SoulSilver (on my way to get MewTwo!). I have completed Pokemon platinum and I want to make the most out of my SoulSilver. Can anyone suggested some very interesting pokemon to catch in SoulSilver to help make my party better, or some to bring over from Platinum that might have been ignored on a regular play through?

There are plenty of interesting pokemon, though some suggestions might include:
Jolteon, everyone catches Ampharos.
Magneton, good steel type
Gliscor. Good overall.

Right, I’ve tried over and over and over, and can only get to about 45 wins in the battle tower (aiming for 50+). I thought I’d assembled a good team - all 3 of them cover each other well... maybe I just need to get better at predicting the opponent’s attacks and acting accordingly. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Lead: Bronzong (levitate)
252 Defence/252 Spec Defence/8 HP
Nature: Sassy
Item: Choice Scarf
~ Toxic
~ Trick
~ Stealth Rock
~ Protect

Strategy here is probably obvious. I lead with Bronzong, then proceed with trick to get the opponent stuck in a loop. If possible, Bronzong uses stealth rock, and then one of the other two members of the team will be switched in (depending on the type of move being used). If neither of these is appropriate, then I get Bronzong to use toxic and then protect itself as much as possible while the foe’s HP decreases. This leaves a predictable point at which I can use trick again, before the foe faints from the effects of toxic. I then have the choice scarf back to use on the next pokemon.

Latios
252 special attack/252 speed/8 HP
Nature: Modest
Item: Focus sash
~ Dragon pulse
~ Calm mind
~ Ice beam
~ Thunderbolt

With any luck, the opponent will be tricked into using a non-attacking move, which leaves the perfect opportunity to switch in Latios and use calm mind to maximise both special attack and special defence. I used this moveset with the advice of another FM earlier on in the thread (though I’m sticking with dragon pulse over draco meter, because I’m keen to use only attacks that have 100% accuracy). Once this has been achieved, the rest of the match is usually a breeze. Even if the opponent gets an attack in first, Latios has the focus sash for insurance.

Heatran
252 special attack/252 defence/8 HP
Nature: Rash
Item: Lum berry
~ Earth power
~ Flamethrower
~ Sunny day
~ Solar beam

Heatran totally covers Latios’s weaknesses and so it is often more suitable to switch it in instead, depending on the move being used. A fire type, of course, is brilliant, as it boosts Heatran’s fire moves and has no effect thereafter (this is a common enough occurrence given that it is Bronzong’s only weakness). Heatran can, therefore, set up with sunny day before eliminating the opponent. If the next pokemon is a water or ground type, Heatran is in the position to eliminate them with solar beam. At risk of a ground move getting in first, Latios can be switched in instead to no effect.

Heatran is probably the most problematic one listed here. I really should’ve EV trained it in speed instead of defence – it’s not painfully slow, but at critical moments it often fails to get the first (crucial) attack in. Its 4x weakness to ground is also really annoying – if the other two are already down then it doesn’t stand much of a chance. It’s also got no way to boost its special attack like Latios has.

I did recently try switching Heatran for the following:

Rampardos
252 attack/252 speed/8 HP
Nature: Adamant
Item: Focus sash (Latios was given the lum berry)
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
~ Rock polish
~ Fire punch

I haven’t written Rampardos off completely, but it didn’t seem to work as well as Heatran, as it doesn’t have as many resistances and has virtually the same weaknesses (save the 4x weakness to ground). Primarily, it doesn’t compliment the other 2 in the same way. Rock polish is obviously a good way to set up, but it rarely has the opportunity to do so as its defences are so weak all round.

So, really, I’m after a bit of general advice. Should I, perhaps, try and get a load of EV reducing berries (or perhaps a new Heatran…) and EV train the latter in speed rather than defence? Is there another pokemon that I haven’t thought of that would do the job just as well? Should my TrickScarf lead be switched for someone else? Any recommendations for the movesets, items, general strategy, etc?

Like I say, perhaps I just need the practice – i.e. getting used to the opponents that may have moves that will OHKO my pokemon and switching when I need to. I should probably give up, but it’s actually quite fun once you get the initial battles out of the way!

Thanks

The only advice I can give you is that Stealth Rock isn't very good in the Battle Tower because the AI opponent almost never switches. You should consider switching Stealth Rock for something else that fits in your moveset.

Sorry if it's not much.

Switch Bronzong out for SPiritomb, is my advice. You can use a mix of Trick, Grudge, and Pressure to deplete their PP, then set up with Lati@s.

Oh God, I just had to review this team, Misdreavus is my favourite Pokemon of all time! please don't evolve it!

Bellossom
sludge bomb
magical leaf
sleep powder
hyper beam

Okay, Energy Ball > Magical Leaf, so replace when you can, and get rid of Hyper Beam, it's a terrible move, Replace with Amromatherepy or something, 'cos you need some support.

vulpix(evolving it as soon as I get a fire stone)
flamethrower
dark pulse
iron tail(replacing but dunno with what)
confuse ray(replace?)

Evolve ASAP, replace Iron Tail and Confuse Ray with Sunny Day and Solarbeam.

feraligatr
surf
earthquake
ice fang
focus blast(going to replace with another fighting move later)

Replace Surf with Waterfall/Aqua Tail, and Focus Blast with whatever, a high power Physical move

misdreavus(evolving when I get a dusk stone)
shadow ball (ftw)
thunder(replacing with shock wave or thunderbolt when I get either)
pain split(replacing with perish song later)
psybeam (replacing with psychic when I get one)

Favourite Pokemon ever, so cute =^-^=
Uh yeah, Thunder and Thunderbolt are both very nice moves for this thing, go with whichever one you want. Perish Song comes in real handy in game, on a trainers last Pokemon, so don't spam it on the first one they send out, because they WILL switch, and Psychic is all good, you can pick up the TM in Kanto somewhere, Saffron I think. That or Celadon.

http://wyncorporation.com/pokemon/index.php Use this. Random Pokemon Genarator.

TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

hey heres my secondary team lineup for on Pokemon Emerald I actually made this team, with a trade from my FireRed and my Gale of Darkness for some fill-ins but here it is. Ill give u the strategy behind it after the lineup.

Misdrevius-Item:Quick Claw
Moves: Perish Song
Mean Look
Pain Split
Shadow Ball
Ability:Levitate

Exploud-Item:Charcoal
Moves:Earthquake
Brick Break
Overheat
Hyper Beam
Ability:Soundproof

Wobbefaut-Item:Focus Band
Moves:Counter
Mirror Coat
Safeguard
Destiny Bond
Ability:Shadow Tag

Absol-Item:Scope Lens
Moves:perish Song
Megahorn
Slash
Future Sight
Ability:pressure

Mr. Mime-Item:Brightpowder
Moves:psychic
Reflect
Thunderbolt
Icy Wind
Ability:Soundproof

Cacturne-Item:King's Rock
Moves:Spikes
Sunny Day
Faint Attack
Solarbeam

Altaria-Item:Sharp Beak
Moves:perish Song
Dragon Claw
Sky Attack
Fly
Ability:Natural Cure

And here's the strategy: First have Misdrevius use Perish Song, not affecting Exploud due to its Soundproof ability. Have Exploud use Earthquake or Brick Break, depending on the opponents' types. Earthquake won't affect Misdrevius due to its Levitate ability. Have Misdrevius use Mean Look on the opponents until its Perish Count hits one, and then swap it out for Cacturne. Have Exploud continue to act as a powerhouse, and have Cacturne use Spikes, then Sunny Day. Depending on the opponents, either swap it out for Absol or Misdrevius (depending on Misdrevius' health and the opposing pokemon types) or have it use Solarbeam to wear the other team down. The Perish Song+Soundproof Combo works with any combination of Altaria/Misdrevius/Absol with Exploud/Mr Mime. Exploud's Overheat can quickly become an extremely powerful attack when boosted by its Charcoal and Cacturne's Sunny Day. Cacturne can use Spikes to damage the opponent when they swap out, trying to avoid Perish Song or use a pokemon with a better type advantage. Misdrevius and Wobbuffet can prevent the opponent from swapping out, with the Mean Look move and Shadow Tag ability respectively. Overall, I think this is a good team. however, what do you think?

This is possibly for a tournament team if they decide to use Battle Frontier rules, if not it's for the Battle Tower:

Lead option #1:
Kaa-Kel (Lucario) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch

Luke is lead option #1, boasting better speed, typing, and stronger priority than option #2, Gallade. However, Lucario suffers from being fragile.

Lead option #2:
Edward III (Gallade) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Steadfast
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Psycho Cut

See exhibit #2, Gallade. It boasts greater attack, slightly better coverage, some form of durability (especially against special attacks) and a high chance of scoring needed KOs. However it is slower and has less reliable priority.

Both leads are kind of anti-hax; Luke is immune to flinching while Gallade gets a welcome boost to speed. Any help deciding on a lead would be appreciated.

P-40 (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Fast, strong, etc

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs / Life Orb / Yache Berry / Colbur Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Recover / Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

Very undecided on Latios' set. I need the best coverage possible with the maximum amount of damage output, as well as insurance against potential hax. Also, Weavile scares the shit out of me.

The rest is very straightforward, basically an application of heavy offense under Tower rules. Do as much damage as possible, with the lead and Garchomp removing Latios' counters and finishing with a near-unstoppable Draco Meteor. Any sort of feedback is appreciated, I mainly need help with deciding on what to lead with as well as an item/set for Latios.

give garchomp the life orb. take away one dragon move and add swords dance.

i kinda like the gallade. but the are both good.

latios- if you have hp fire, use that over draco meteor. and let it hold soul dew. thunderbolt over recover, and maybe grass knot over surf.

Garchomp does not have the time to set up in the Battle Tower and I have no intention of changing its set. Latios does not have HP Fire, and I'm not too keen on using it anyways because I want to speed tie with Gengar, Froslass, and other Latis. Draco Meteor is my main finisher anyways. Also, Soul Dew is banned in the Tower. However, I think I probably will lead with Gallade and replace Recover with Thunderbolt on Latios. Not so sure about GK over Surf.

From what I can see, this team looks awfully Weavile-weak. Luke suffers from Brick Break, Latios dies to Night Slash, and Garchomp takes an awfully big wound from Ice Shard (if it doesn't die, of course). I'm not saying the weasel could sweep by itself, but it sure could rip big holes in your team, and that alone can be a big problem.

latios- if you have hp fire, use that over draco meteor. and let it hold soul dew. thunderbolt over recover, and maybe grass knot over surf.

My thoughts exactly.

If you're willing to sacrifice a bit of accuracy, i say use Thunder over Thunderbolt. Recover is wasted on Latios. You said you wanted "maximum amount of damage output", so in that case Latios needs to have a strong special sweeper set (not to mention a Soul Dew). Latios is pretty fragile and without the extra power of Soul Dew i don't think he's worth the risk. Now if you want support for him consider a BP Umbreon. BP Umbreon is useful for more than just wish, you know.

But since you said Soul Dew is banned i suggest ditching Latios all together. Maybe consider building your team with better synergy? Latios is too fragile to really benefit from Baton Passed anything. Just my thoughts on it.

^ While Latios doesn't win any defensive awards, base 110 Speed and 130 Sp. Attack is nothing to sneeze at, especially with the options it has.

i did not know that soul dew does nothing in the tower. ive taken it in so many times.

are the enemy pokes ev trained? cause if they are not hp fire will be good. gk will ohko swampert which surf wont do. and still takes out rhyperior, and other grass/ground types.

i have used swords dance on my garchomp in the tower. you can bring him on on any non ice/dragon move. you could put crunch on instead of one of the dragon moves. shadow sneak is your only other way to hit psychics.

sharking--- in response to weaville, make lucario modest with vacuum wave. also have aura sphere, shadow ball and dragon pulse.

^ While Latios doesn't win any defensive awards, base 110 Speed and 130 Sp. Attack is nothing to sneeze at, especially with the options it has.

I know he's impressive but the team itself is too fragile. It also lacks synergy. The team would be much more successful if it was built on a foundation, so to speak. In this case there should be a lead (or Anti-lead), an all out attacker/Sp.Attacker, and a more defensively oriented Pokemon. Or you could build a team around a central Pokemon, where the other two others support it. You just can't have this kind of monotonicity in a team. Well, you can. But variety never hurt, right? :p

In the long run i think the weakness within this team will cause serious problems.

@ F-22

Have you thought about using a lead Metagross with a moveset of Meteor Mash/Earthquake/Bullet Punch/Explosion? I think that would help you deal with Weavile and improve your team's overall synergy. Explosion could also be beneficial if you can successfully use it to blow a hole in your opponent's defensive core.

I was so intent on starting with a Fighter that I completely forgot about Metagross. Explosion is also one of my favorite moves so I think it's a good idea. I have trained but unmovesetted one that could do the trick.

As much as Latios is fragile, there really isn't anything better as far as Draco Meteor abuse goes. I want to emphasize offense and hit as hard as possible so it's one of the best candidates out there. Any suggestions for replacements?

Gigailith or Krookodile?

I need to decide on eather Gigailith (rock) or Krookodile (ground/dark) for my team, so far my team is
>Emboar (fire/fighting)
>Cofagrigus (ghost)
>Reuniclus (psychic)
>Eelektross (electric)
>Hyrdeigon (dragon/dark)

I need one more and I need to make up my mind so i can create a stragity, so that is why im coming to the public of Bulbagarden. Soi want to hear your opinions. Or do should I chose another pokemon insted of the 2 choices I already have...

Back
Top Bottom