• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Yo, I'm in the Battle Tower in Doubles and this is my team:

*Firstly, this team has no entry hazards. Why? There are a lot less phazing and switching options in Doubles, and plus after the initial two opposing Pokemon there are only two more. Setting up Stealth Rocks would be a wasted turn where my attacking momemtum would be screwed.

No.1 Gengar - A different sort of Gengar to the usual, who actually does surprisingly well. His moves are:
-Will'o'Wisp
-Substitute
-Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball

Shadow Ball is my basic STAB option getting good coverage with Sludge Bomb besides Steel types. I have Sludge Bomb as it often has the extra power I need, something I don't get with Shadow Ball. Will'o'Wisp takes care of most Steel types, shafting there Attack and usually letting me survive if I'm on full health. Substitute couples well with the Sitrus Berry it holds, which lets it have an extra Substitute, something that greatly helps if Will'o'Wisp misses.
Why didn't I just use a Dusknoir or Spiritomb? I often find I need the extra Speed and Power, and because this team is made to cripple the opponents to let my sweepers get in easy, not to stall and waste PP and time.

No.2 Magnezone - An invaluable partner to Gengar, helping him a lot. Moves:
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Explosion
-Flash Cannon

Substitute works well with his great resistances and Leftovers, etc, etc. Thunderbolt is standard reliable STAB. Explosion is to leave great chunks in anything that doesn't resist it, and works great with Gengars typing. I would've used HP Fire but I didn't get it, so I stuck with ol' reliable Flash Cannon, and the Sp.Defence drop can be handy if it happens.
Great Pokemon with great resistances, he is extremely useful and takes care of many of Gengars threats, like Tyranitar and Weaville.

No.3 Electivire - While his STAB option is less than perfect, he is great for picking off weakened Pokemon. Moves
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Earthquake
-Cross Chop

Not much to say here; just the standard Electivire with good coverage and an Expert Belt.

This is where the Problems start as I have three sweepers but I don't know which to choose:

Mixed Salamence with Draco Meteor, Dragon Claw (Outrage is too annoying and unreliable in Doubles), Earthquake and Fire Blast. He is slower than Electivire, letting Electivire move before any Earthquake.

Dragon Dance Tyranitar with Dragon Dance, Stone Edge, Fire Punch and Crunch. Very reliable except for the fact everyone has a Fighting move or Ground Pokemon in Battle Tower.

Bulky Gyarados with Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Earthquake and Stone Edge. Has not been tested much but so far has proven reliable.

So yeah, just give me some comments about it and which sweeper I should pick.

------------------------

picture.php

I have officially claimed Wailord
Check out my Reviews on the Bug Type, just go to my blog here

A fair bit of prototyping in here (no EV formations--that should be the very last step of charting anyway--and a few cases where I have no idea what item to hold, partly because I haven't internalized the list. I try to avoid Choice armaments, though.). I'm trying for a minelayer team, although if I can get some status shuffle in there, all the better.

First, the three cores; my Holy Trinity, critters I'll *always* include (even if not with the same moves; the Trinity is the species).

GALVANTULA (special cannon)
Compound Eyes, Timid
Thunder
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball
Electro Net (to quickly nick the speed of a predicted switch-in...well, one that isn't ground-based)

JELLICENT (special-attacking tanker)
Cursed Body, Calm or Bold (I know it should be ONE of the -PAtt personalities, just not which defense side to boost...)
Hex
Scald
Two of: Recover, Acid Armor, Will-o-Wisp, Toxic, Confuse Ray (Recover, Acid Armor, and Confuse Ray help with the durability, but don't do anything for Hex. The other two do, but Will-o-Wisp might overlap overmuch with Scald--use Surf instead?--and Toxic might be rendered redundant by Drapion's Toxic Spikes)

DRAPION (poison minelayer)
Sniper, Adamant
Equip: Scope Lens
Toxic Spikes/Cross Poison (almost certainly the former, but...)
Whirlwind
Night Slash
Fire Fang/Ice Fang (Fire Fang to surprise the steel-based, or Ice Fang to thwart STAB ground...?)

Layer 2: I'm not completely settled on these, but they look good for a minelayer theme. (Even if Stealth Rock's nowhere to be seen...Well, maybe on Skarmory. Has it been settled whether Stealth Rock is over-centralizing?)

SKARMORY (basic minelayer)
Sturdy, Impish
Spikes/Stealth Rock
Whirlwind
Steel Wing
Brave Bird

FLYGON (physical cannon)
Levitate
Earthquake
Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail (Probably the latter for forcing the enemy into the minefield)
Rock Slide/Fire Punch
Hone Claws (I can't remember if Flygon can get Dragon Dance, but Hone Claws can do nothing but help make Dragon Tail more dependable)

My main concern right now is settling on the sixth slot. Much as I'd love to get Cradily (former member of the Holy Trinity, before Galvantula and Jellicent shoved it and Lanturn out) in here, I'm worried it would overlap in purpose too much with Jellicent, and we're not talking a sandstorm team here. I'm eyeing Chimecho (status repairs), Porygon2 (mixed or secondary special cannon), and Mr. Mime (pass bonuses from Barrier and Charge Beam) for the most part.

(It'd probably also help if I could be certain whether the Holy Trinity is specifically OU or UU. That is, if there's a potential place for both Galvantula and Drapion in OU, and/or if there's a way for Jellicent to fit in UU without causing undue frustration.)

So, planned white team. Right now I have

Jalorda--F
-Leaf Storm
-Leaf Blade (for conserving PP)
-Attract
-Light Screen/Reflect (Actually really helpful in-game for gym battles, worked well on Togekiss in HG).

My favorite starter overall. His speed with his strong Grass type moves make him a killer.

Sazandora
-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Hyper Voice
-FIre Blast

This guy is also a killer. Only instead of being a snake, he tends to go for the fire breathing dragon approach.
So, here comes the Issuhs, Wait, what? No, issues!

I want a fire type to make my team well rounded. I'm considering
Darmitran
Ulgamoth
Shandera
for the role of fire type, but I'm undecided. I'm kind of leaning towards Ulgamoth, but again, anything can change.

As for the other issue :), fossil types. I'm definitely having Archeos or Abagoura in my team. I'm not sure which one, though I"m kind of leaning towards Abagoura because of Shell Smash. What do you guys think?
Oh, and by the way, I prefer to have four pokemon simply because that way they are all solidly trained and you can carry two HM Slaves, but if you have a uggestion fr something more let me know .

Here's my random stuff team.

Vaporeon.
Nature: Quiet.
Ev's: Hp/224. SpAtk/200. Def/50.
Moves: protect, surf, toxic, aqua ring.
Ability: water absorb.
Item: leftovers

Rotom.
Nature: Timid.
Ev's: SpcAtk/240. Spd/230. Hp/40.
Moves: discharge, shadow ball, trick, substitute.
Ability: levitate.
Item: choice Specs.

Dusknoir.
Nature: Brave.
Ev's: Atk/240. SpDef/120. Def/120. Hp/20.
Moves: fire punch, thunder punch, shadow sneak, pain split.
Ability: pressure.
Item: expert belt.

Lucario.
Nature: timid.
Ev's: Spd/240. SpcAtk/240. Hp/40.
Moves: psychic, aura sphere, close combat, dragon pulse.
Ability: inner focus.
Item: choice scarf.

Scizor.
Nature: adamant.
Ev's: AtK/ 240. Def/140. SpDef/ 140. Sped/ 40.
Moves: swords dance, X-scissor, bullet punch, u-turn.
Ability: technician.
Item: occa berry.

I am Sorry but I've forgot alot of the EVs. How's my team look?

This is my Emerald team. I'm at Fortree City, I hate being overleveled!

Blaziken/KFC
Lv37. Bashful Nature
HP - 119, ATK - 106, DEF - 61, SP.A - 94, SP.D - 67, SPE - 75
Double Kick, Aerial Ace, Blaze Kick, Flamethrower

SHINY Crobat/Shineh
Lv38. Naughty Nature
HP - 122, ATK - 93, DEF - 73, SP.A - 61, SP.D - 65, SPE - 119
Fly, Bite, Aerial Ace, Double Team

Sableye/Deyemond
Lv36 Tmid Nature (ATK is still suprisingly decent)
HP - 88, ATK - 57, DEF - 70, SP.A - 56, SP.D - 52, SPE - 60
Shock Wave, Toxic, Fake Out, Faint Attack

Castform/Sean Batty (Sean Batty is a Scottish weatherman)
Lv 26, I'm still training it.
I don't know his stats, she's in the PC and I'm too lazy!
Double Team, Rain Dance, Hail, Ice Beam

Hello,
i really want to know how is my team, and what it needs. i know i dont have the best natures or Evs, but i noticed that when some of my pokemons already were at level 50.
-Infernape:Level 80 Impish
-Grass Knot
-Fire Blast
-Stealth Rock
-Close Combat
-Crobat:Level 100 Careful
-Sludge Bomb
-U-turn
-X-Scissor
-Air Slash
-Lucario:Level 74 Jolly
-Swords Dance
-ExtremeSpeed
-Close Combat
-Dark Pulse
-Electivire:Level 70 Adamant
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake
-Torterra:Level 70 Serious
-Wood Hammer
-Rock Polish
-Leech Seed
-Earthquake
-Empoleon:Level 70 Impish
-Drill Peck
-Ice Beam
-Swords Dance
-Hydro Pump

So, please tell me what i need to change, and don't tell me please "That Lucario for another Lucario but another nature" because i really put my tears, blood and smiles here.

Hello. I'm looking for suggestions on team members in HeartGold.

Current Future Members:
Modest Typhlosion
Jolly Gyarados
Timid Ampharos
Impish/Adamant Umbreon

I'm thinking of Yanmega for one, but I kind of don't want to use it, but I can't think of any other team members. And then I have no ideas for a good last member.

Hello. I'm looking for suggestions on team members in HeartGold.

Current Future Members:
Modest Typhlosion
Jolly Gyarados
Timid Ampharos
Impish/Adamant Umbreon

I'm thinking of Yanmega for one, but I kind of don't want to use it, but I can't think of any other team members. And then I have no ideas for a good last member.

timid or modest gengar

Lucario, Level 100, Relaxed
Item: Leftovers
Dragon Pulse
Close Combat
Dig
Aura Sphere

Feraligatr, Level 100, Gentle
Item: Mystic Water
Superpower
Surf
Hydro Cannon
Dragon Pulse

Ho-oh, Level 90, Quiet
Item: Amulet Coin
Sacred Fire
Recover
Future Sight
Fly

Lugia, Level 90, Gentle
Item: Sea Incense
Extrasensory
Recover
Hydro Pump
Aeroblast

Staraptor, Level 90, Timid
Item: Sharp Beak
Close Combat
Fly
Brave Bird
Pluck

Dragonite, Level 90, Modest
Item: Yache Berry
Hyper Beam
Outrage
Draco Meteor
Dragon Rush

I have beaten Red and have adapted this team for beating the Elite 4.

timid or modest gengar

Seconded, though I'm gonna vote with modest. I have one myself, I'd make sure to give it Dark Pulse and a move that gets STAB bonus (likely Shadow Ball > Sludge Bomb, though the latter gives you a check for Grass types, which could be useful in certain situations). Besides those two move suggestions I have, you could probably run a couple different setups. Word of warning: Gengar's fast, but two strong physical attacks (in some cases, only one) or a supereffective can break it. A moveset with good coverage and status inducers is your best bet from my experience.

Come to think of it, I'd like to know - is the only way to minimize the impact of any defensive frailties Gengar exhibits to play up it's SpA and Speed by maxing their respective EV's?

Gengar won't be making use of extra defenses so it's best to max out SpA and Speed which is where its strengths lie. Also, there is no point in running Dark Pulse since it has the same coverage as Shadow Ball (except that it hits Normals, which is what Focus Blast covers if you run it) and does less damage due to not getting a STAB boost.

Just entered Sliph Co. In Leaf Green

Charizard lvl 36
Butterfree lvl 34
Gyarados lvl 35
Jolteon lvl 36
Hitmonlee lvl 33
Lickitung lvl 34

Am I doing it right?

Ok. So I should use Yanmega as well? Or is there something better like Heracross?

Scyther is pretty good. Comes early game ans is strong. Adamant or Jolly.

Ok. So I should use Yanmega as well? Or is there something better like Heracross?

heracross is a nice fit, gives you fighting stab moves. you have a lot of special attackers, with gyarados your only physical. breloom or metagross can also be used if you can get an egg...

TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

I'm having with my team
I have the following: Moves:
shiny Girratina: Aura sphere,fly,shadow force,earth power
Shiny manaphy: Dive,surf.whirlpool,waterfall
ambipom: cut,strength,rock smash,rock climb
blaziken: skyuppercut,flareblitz,bravebird,blastburn
Sceptile : leafblade,energyball,prsuit,quickattack(lvl36)
regice: icebeam,blizzard,shock wave,?????

Lucario: earthquake,aurasphere,darkpulse,copycat
torterra: earthquake,razorleaf, leafstorm,frenzy plant

open to suggestions :party:

Last edited:

Guess i'll use my Soul silver team that i recnetly started training for red
Meganium level 74
Dragonite Level 72
Ampharos Level 69
Gyarados Level 67
Rapidash Nicknamed Flare Level 71
Ninetails Nicknamed Fate level 70
EDIT: gonna post my colleseum team too
Vaporeon Level 71
Rapidash nicknamed Flare Level 69
Ninetails Level 68
Salamence level 65
Moltres level 59
Zapdos level 58

Typhlosion Sassy
Eruption
Shadow Claw
Flamethrower
Swift

Gyarados Adamant
Earthquake
Dragon dance
Aqua Tail
Avalanche

Crobat Adamant
Cross Poison
Bite
Air Slash

Togekiss Lax
Return
Air Slash
Extrasensory
Ancient Power

Ampharos Adamant
Thunder Punch
Discharge
Signal Beam
Iron Tail

Mewtwo Quiet
Charge Beam
Psychic
Flamethrower
Poison Jab

Last edited:

Rampardos Brave Headbutt, Zen Headbutt, Iron Head, Head Smash
Staraptor Brave Close Combat, Giga Impact, Brave Bird, Sky Attack
Torterra Relaxed Earthquake, Wood Hammer, Leaf Storm, Frenzey Plant

I need two more Pokemon plus Dialga or Palkia.

My first team

This is my first team I have spent some time on. Please give constructive comments. Thanks! :-D
(I am not done with training them yet, so I can not put EVs here. When I am done, I shall post them.)

Swampert w/Razor Claw
Nughty

Earthquake
Surf
Hammer Arm
Ice Beam

Swampert is my favorite. He has a great variety of moves, which are all strong. 2 of them hit everyone on the field, and the 2 othes are very effective. He is petty well rounded, with high attack, defense, and sp. attack, but lacking in special defense and speed.

Hydreigon w/Scope Lens
Hasty

Crunch
Dragon Pulse
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower

Hydreigon is extremely strong in Special Attack and Speed. He knows a good variety of moves, most of them being Special moves. Draco Meteor is used as a pinch move.

Arcanine w/ Leftovers
Bold

Extreme Speed
Flamethrower
Crunch
Dig

Arcanine is fast strong, and can take some hits. He is good all around, and has no big attribute (at least right now). Dig is used against any Rock types that get in my way, and extreme speed is a pinch move.

Electivire w/ Shell Bell
Naughty

Low Kick
Thunder Punch
Thunderbolt
Earthquake

Electivire is strong in both attack, special attack, and speed, but lacking in defense, special, and HP. I have 2 attacks and 2 special attacks to use if I need to. Low Kick will be used against big, heavy, strong pokemon. Earthquake is to add some variety.

Gallade w/ Expert Belt
Docile

Psyco Cut
Magical Leaf
X-Scissor
Close Combat

Gallade has extremely high attack. Because of this, he knows psyco cut, x-scissor, and close combat. The magical leaf is for water types.

Togekiss w/ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed

Fly
Psychic
Aura Sphere
Shadow Ball

Togekiss has excellent variety of moves, all being special effective against people that I don't have moves that hurt a lot against. Not much to say here though...

Last edited:

so, this is a 4v4 ground/water Double battle team that i've prepared in SS. If you have suggestions, I.E. moveset changes, and/or alternate pokemon, feel free to suggest something

Flygon (Ganondorf)@Blackglasses
Levitate
-Crunch
-Dig
-Fly
-Outrage

Lantern (Elijah)@Silverpowder
Volt Absorb
-Discharge
-Confuse Ray
-Hydro Pump
-Signal Beam

Gyarados (Loki)@Icicle Plate
Intimidate
-Ice Fang
-Dive
-Aqua Tail
-Outrage

Rhyperior (Dante)@Shell Bell
Sturdy
-Megahorn
-Hammer Arm
-Rock Wrecker
-Earthquake

Ganon and Eli i picked to start because of Ganon's immunity to Electric and Ground, which makes him a very solid member of the team. Loki is intended to be a backup sweeper in tandem with Dante, as he is immune to Earthquake.

Back
Top Bottom