• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Here's my in-game White team. needing a little help deciding where to steer some of their moves for round 2 E4. i plan to level then all up to about 80 btw. :banana: Please pardon me if i do this uberly wrong D:>

Attack Sweeper
117px-553Krookodile_Dream.png

Krookodile
Item: expert belt
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Moxie
Characteristic: Thoroughly Cunning
Moves:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Crunch
~ stone edge

i was thinking maybe Smack Down, Low Sweep, Aerial Ace or Facade ..mayyybe Attract (this poke is female) in place of Shadow Claw since having both Crunch and Shadow Claw is a bit redundant. I generally like the rest of its moves as is. Moxie helps it sweep and Outrage gain power when locked in. Dragon Fang is to help get the most out of Outrage since i'll be confused when it's over.

Mix Speedy Wall
120px-497Serperior_Dream.png

Serperior
Item: light clay
Nature: Lax
Ability: Overgrow
Characteristic: Often Scatters Things
Moves:
~ relect
~ Leaf Blade
~ Giga Drain/leech seed
~ light screen

This is my 1st time training up a grass type, so i was a little blind on this thing. I have almost no coverage on him, and was pretty much guessing on what to put on him. Leaf Blade for STAB Atk., Giga Drain to recover health from his many weaknesses though it makes its ability moot, and i could only figure to put wring out and growth for a strong neutral 1st turn attack, and random stat boost for his mediocre atk/sp.atk. Even though i rarely last long enough to do any stat boosting. this guy needs MAJOR help, though i'd like to keep his 2 grass moves as i can't see him lasting w/o them. Miracle Seed to boost Leaf Blade, and Big Root to boost Giga Drain's absorption.

Special Sweeper
120px-571Zoroark_Dream.png

Zoroark
Item: Charcoal or Black Glasses
Nature: Quirky
Ability: Illusion
Characteristic: Capable of Taking Hits
Moves:
~ Foul Play
~ Flamethrower
~ Night Daze
~ Nasty Plot

Foul Play for those unlucky times i'm stuck against a strong normal or fighting type. Flamethrower to by chance burn and do damage to bug types, night daze as a strong STAB atk., and nasty plot to boost his sp. atk. though its rare i get to use it. looking to maybe have this moveset made to fit for better type coverage. Charcoal to help Flamethrower, and Black Glasses to help boost stab dark moves (though i'm not sure if it helps Foul Play as FP is opponent reliant).

Annoying Special Sweeper
117px-609Chandelure_Dream.png

Chandelure
Item: Spell Tag or Wide Lens
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Flash Fire
Characteristic: Somewhat Vain
Moves:
~ Inferno
~ Flamethrower
~ Hex
~ Toxic

Inferno while having bad accuracy, has its moments when holding a Wide Lens. Flamethrower for a reliable STAB attacking move, and Toxic to annoy/double the power of STAB Hex. Spell Tag to boost Hex's power, and sometimes Wide Lens to help Inferno.

Special Sweeper
120px-528Swoobat_Dream.png

Swoobat
Item: Rocky Helmet
Nature: Gentle
Ability: Unaware
Characteristic: Highly Curious
Moves:
~ Future Sight
~ Psychic
~ Air Slash
~ Charge Beam

Future Sight is here for when i know Swoobat will go down in one hit but i need the big hit to help out the next pokemon i'm switching in. Psychic and Air Slash as reliable STAB moves, and Charge Beam to raise sp.atk. and hit water and flying types. Put a Rocky Helmet on her so that when she's taken a hit or KO'd she'd have done a bit of damage and nullified Sturdy ability.

Wall
120px-565Carracosta_Dream.png

Carracosta
Item: Quick Claw
Nature: Brave
Ability: Solid Rock
Characteristic: Proud of its Power
Moves:
~ Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Rock Slide
~ Curse

Quick Claw is a must. Waterfall replaced Aqua Jet for power over priority since it seems it can take a hit (thanks to Solid Rock). Crunch for a strong physical atk. move for when Chandelure is in trouble and Zoroark/Krookodile is down, Rock Slide as a STAB move, and Curse to up power though lowers speed (worked better when Aqua Jet was in this moveset).

i put some ideas on 2 pokes, i havent messed around with any of the others you have

Here's my in-game White team. needing a little help deciding where to steer some of their moves for round 2 E4. i plan to level them all up to about 80 btw. :banana: Please pardon me if i do this uberly wrong D:>

Attack Sweeper

Krookodile {Female}
Item: Dragon Fang
Moves:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Crunch
~ Shadow Claw

i was thinking maybe Smack Down, Low Sweep, Aerial Ace or Facade ..mayyybe Attract in place of Shadow Claw since having both Crunch and Shadow Claw is a bit redundant. I generally like the rest of its moves as is. Moxie helps it sweep and Outrage gain power when locked in. Dragon Fang is to help get the most out of Outrage since i'll be confused when it's over.

Honestly, don't use Facade...if it's burned, attack's in half, ground type, so it won't likely be paralyzed...that just leaves poison. I'd put on Arial Ace, it seems to give you more coverage.
Also, you could put on a Lum Berry over Dragon Fang, that lets you Outrage twice before confusion.

Mix Speedy Wall

Serperior {Male}
Item: Miracle Seed or Big Root
Moves:
~ Wring Out
~ Leaf Blade
~ Giga Drain
~ Growth

This is my 1st time training up a grass type, so i was a little blind on this thing. I have almost no coverage on him, and was pretty much guessing on what to put on him. Leaf Blade for STAB Atk., Giga Drain to recover health from his many weaknesses though it makes its ability moot, and i could only figure to put wring out and growth for a strong neutral 1st turn attack, and random stat boost for his mediocre atk/sp.atk. Even though i rarely last long enough to do any stat boosting. this guy needs MAJOR help, though i'd like to keep his 2 grass moves as i can't see him lasting w/o them. Miracle Seed to boost Leaf Blade, and Big Root to boost Giga Drain's absorption.
Serperior's not that great, really. He lacs offensive power, all he has is speed. For that reason, I would put on Light Screen adn Reflect on him. THey're useful even in-game, he's fast enuoh to get them on, and it opens the way for a different pokemon to sweep. You'll want to put on Light Clay, though.

Special Sweeper

Zoroark {Male}
Moves:
~ Foul Play
~ Flamethrower
~ Night Daze
~ Nasty Plot
In game, I don't see anything wrong with this. Looks fine, though if you can get a Life Orb, try that. IIRC, you find it in the Battle Subway.

Foul Play for those unlucky times i'm stuck against a strong normal or fighting type. Flamethrower to by chance burn and do damage to bug types, night daze as a strong STAB atk., and nasty plot to boost his sp. atk. though its rare i get to use it. looking to maybe have this moveset made to fit for better type coverage. Charcoal to help Flamethrower, and Black Glasses to help boost stab dark moves (though i'm not sure if it helps Foul Play as FP is opponent reliant).

Annoying Special Sweeper

Chandelure {Female}
Moves:
~ Inferno
~ Flamethrower
~ Hex
~ Toxic
I would personally go all out sweeper on this. You can use Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, and Hex. The reason is that Chandelure, while having decent defenses, is better fitted as a sweeper. This set will give you power, Hex is mostly a filler move, in case Flamethrower catches a burn.

Inferno while having bad accuracy, has its moments when holding a Wide Lens. Flamethrower for a reliable STAB attacking move, and Toxic to annoy/double the power of STAB Hex. Spell Tag to boost Hex's power, and sometimes Wide Lens to help Inferno.

Special Sweeper

Swoobat {Female}
Moves:
~ Future Sight
~ Psychic
~ Air Slash
~ Charge Beam

Meh. I don't like Swoobat, it's stats are underwhelming execpt for speed. A good set with what you've done, but be aware, you may not have a chance to Charge Beam with those low defenses, so only use it if you're finishing off an opponent.

Future Sight is here for when i know Swoobat will go down in one hit but i need the big hit to help out the next pokemon i'm switching in. Psychic and Air Slash as reliable STAB moves, and Charge Beam to raise sp.atk. and hit water and flying types. Put a Rocky Helmet on her so that when she's taken a hit or KO'd she'd have done a bit of damage and nullified Sturdy ability.

Wall

Carracosta {Female}
Moves:
~ Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Rock Slide
~ Curse

LOVE THIS POKEMON! So, here's what I'd suggets. IIRC, Carracosta learns Shell Smash, right? So, you can leave it as is, there's nothing really wrong with it, or replace Curse with Shell Smash, then put on something other than quick claw. After one shell smash, this thing's a beast.
Quick Claw is a must. Waterfall replaced Aqua Jet for power over priority since it seems it can take a hit (thanks to Solid Rock). Crunch for a strong physical atk. move for when Chandelure is in trouble and Zoroark/Krookodile is down, Rock Slide as a STAB move, and Curse to up power though lowers speed (worked better when Aqua Jet was in this moveset).

Hope I helped!

Krookodile
Honestly, don't use Facade...if it's burned, attack's in half, ground type, so it won't likely be paralyzed...that just leaves poison. I'd put on Arial Ace, it seems to give you more coverage.
Also, you could put on a Lum Berry over Dragon Fang, that lets you Outrage twice before confusion.

ya, i wasn't very keen on Facade, and was leaning more towards Smack Down to make use of EQ on flying/levitaters. But Aerial Ace, i'll look into that :)

I was thinking of maybe putting in a Lum berry, i have enough of them lol Though it's never come up that the confusion was a problem since, by the time she's confused, the whole team has most likely been swept. But i may try that out :D

Serperior
Serperior's not that great, really. He lacks offensive power, all he has is speed. For that reason, I would put on Light Screen and Reflect on him. They're useful even in-game, he's fast enough to get them on, and it opens the way for a different pokemon to sweep. You'll want to put on Light Clay, though.

that seems to be what another user suggested (though gave no reasons behind it :X) And while i'm pretty much an all out battler and leave the "setting up" behind kinda gal, this seems to be a very reasonable suggestion.

Zoroark
In game, I don't see anything wrong with this. Looks fine, though if you can get a Life Orb, try that. IIRC, you find it in the Battle Subway.

I've never tried the Battle Subway before (i hear its hard D:) and wouldn't a Life Orb kill off Zoroark faster?

Chandelure
I would personally go all out sweeper on this. You can use Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, and Hex. The reason is that Chandelure, while having decent defenses, is better fitted as a sweeper. This set will give you power, Hex is mostly a filler move, in case Flamethrower catches a burn.

Ya, inferno was mainly there also cuz its a garunteed burn but not a garenteed hit :X i had Shadow Ball on it, but voted against it in place of Hex a while back. So i may just bring it back i guess. And you're right, it really does do best as a sweeper :3

Swoobat
Meh. I don't like Swoobat, it's stats are underwhelming except for speed. A good set with what you've done, but be aware, you may not have a chance to Charge Beam with those low defenses, so only use it if you're finishing off an opponent.

ya i mainly have it go in to finish something off, but its usually fast enough to get a sweep on things it's super effective against.

Carracosta
LOVE THIS POKEMON! So, here's what I'd suggest. IIRC, Carracosta learns Shell Smash, right? So, you can leave it as is, there's nothing really wrong with it, or replace Curse with Shell Smash, then put on something other than quick claw. After one shell smash, this thing's a beast.

me too! :D
i had thought about shell smash, but that was back when i had Aqua Jet on it and voted increased atk/def with lower speed and a priority move. Though i guess you might be right about boost from that move now that i don't have AJ anymore. Though why would i give up the quick claw? wouldn't that increase my odds of going 1st on top of the speed boost from the shell smash?

Hope I helped!

oh you certainly have! :D

comments in bold

could you give a little reasoning behind your choices? thanks :)

sorry, was busy watching sports...

ground and rock moves form a good coverage set, so the flying types that earthquake cant hit, stone edge can hit hard, and with an expert belt you can boost more moves than with just the dragon fang

with serperior it has great speed and defenses on both sides, so you can set up the boost for whatever the opposing poke is using, then leech seed, than the other screen and let another poke sweep. it has poor atack stats, so leaf blade with its increased crit hit is the only good move. you will need to thief a light clay from a golett but its well worth it

sorry, was busy watching sports...

ground and rock moves form a good coverage set, so the flying types that earthquake cant hit, stone edge can hit hard, and with an expert belt you can boost more moves than with just the dragon fang

with serperior it has great speed and defenses on both sides, so you can set up the boost for whatever the opposing poke is using, then leech seed, than the other screen and let another poke sweep. it has poor atack stats, so leaf blade with its increased crit hit is the only good move. you will need to thief a light clay from a golett but its well worth it

ah i see :p no problem, i'm busy getting ready for church :mallet:

ah i c, i keep getting stealth rock and stone edge mixed up :X
oh, that makes sense, 20% boost as opposed to only a dragon on dragon 20% boost :D i like it.

ya another user suggested the same thing on serperior. i guess that's really my only option on him :X

thank you for your input :)

FYI, it kills off Zoroark, true, but it will enable Zoroark to OHKO something it would have normally 2HKO'd. Consequently, you aren't hit, and will be able to take less damage than you would have normally. Basically, better to lose a little HP than a lot if you get hit.

FYI, it kills off Zoroark, true, but it will enable Zoroark to OHKO something it would have normally 2HKO'd. Consequently, you aren't hit, and will be able to take less damage than you would have normally. Basically, better to lose a little HP than a lot if you get hit.

good point :X dualy noted! :mallet:
thank you :D

question though, does the effect of the Light Clay cancel out when i swap out serperior/is KO'd?
never mind, yes it does.

Last edited:

good point :X dualy noted! :mallet:
thank you :D

question though, does the effect of the Light Clay cancel out when i swap out serperior/is KO'd?

no the screens will stay for 8 turns each even if you switch out or are KOd

Here's my in-game White team. needing a little help deciding where to steer some of their moves for round 2 E4. i plan to level them all up to about 80 btw. :banana: Please pardon me if i do this uberly wrong D:>

Attack Sweeper

Krookodile {Female}
Moves:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Crunch
~ Shadow Claw

i was thinking maybe Smack Down, Low Sweep, Aerial Ace or Facade ..mayyybe Attract in place of Shadow Claw since having both Crunch and Shadow Claw is a bit redundant. I generally like the rest of its moves as is. Moxie helps it sweep and Outrage gain power when locked in. Dragon Fang is to help get the most out of Outrage since i'll be confused when it's over.

Mix Speedy Wall

Serperior {Male}
Moves:
~ Wring Out
~ Leaf Blade
~ Giga Drain
~ Growth

Special Sweeper

Zoroark {Male}
Moves:
~ Foul Play
~ Flamethrower
~ Night Daze
~ Nasty Plot

Annoying Special Sweeper

Chandelure {Female}
Moves:
~ Inferno
~ Flamethrower
~ Hex
~ Toxic

Special Sweeper

Swoobat {Female}
Moves:
~ Future Sight
~ Psychic
~ Air Slash
~ Charge Beam

Wall

Carracosta {Female}
Moves:
~ Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Rock Slide
~ Curse

ok so thanks to all of your suggestions my team looks like this now (changes in bold):

Attack Sweeper

Krookodile {Female}
Item: Expert Belt
Moves:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Crunch
~ Aerial Ace

Lead

Serperior {Male}
Item: Light Clay
Moves:
~ Light Screen
~ Leaf Blade
~ Giga Drain
~ Reflect

Special Sweeper

Zoroark {Male}
Item: (need to find a Life Orb :X)
Moves:
~ Foul Play
~ Flamethrower
~ Night Daze
~ Nasty Plot

Special Sweeper

Chandelure {Female}
Item: Spell Tag
Moves:
~ Shadow Ball
~ Flamethrower
~ Hex
~ Energy Ball

Special Sweeper

Swoobat {Female}
Moves:
~ Future Sight
~ Psychic
~ Air Slash
~ Charge Beam

Wall

Carracosta {Female}
Moves:
~ Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Rock Slide
~ Shell Smash

looking good now? <:D

With Shell Smash, you can replace Quick Claw on Carracosta with something like...Rindo berry? You'll live a grass type move then, which obviously is a bit of an issue for Carracosta.

ok so thanks to all of your suggestions my team looks like this now (changes in bold):

Attack Sweeper

Krookodile {Female}
Moves:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Crunch
~ Aerial Ace

Lead

Serperior {Male}
Moves:
~ Light Screen
~ Leaf Blade
~ Giga Drain
~ Reflect

Special Sweeper

Zoroark {Male}
Moves:
~ Foul Play
~ Flamethrower
~ Night Daze
~ Nasty Plot

Special Sweeper

Chandelure {Female}
Moves:
~ Shadow Ball
~ Flamethrower
~ Hex
~ Energy Ball

Special Sweeper

Swoobat {Female}
Moves:
~ Future Sight
~ Psychic
~ Air Slash
~ Charge Beam

Wall

Carracosta {Female}
Moves:
~ Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Rock Slide
~ Shell Smash

looking good now? <:D

i still think stone edge over aerial ace... flying only hits bug, grass and fighting for SE... earthquake will still do more damage with STAB than SE aerial ace with expert belt will to fighters.
stone edge will take care of those bug types, plus flying and ice types. you only lose coverage on grass types by switching in stone edge, but crunch and outrage will hit them hard.

With Shell Smash, you can replace Quick Claw on Carracosta with something like...Rindo berry? You'll live a grass type move then, which obviously is a bit of an issue for Carracosta.

but her ability Solid Rock already lowers the effectiveness of super effective attacks, and i'm not one to really use berries anyhow :p

i still think stone edge over aerial ace... flying only hits bug, grass and fighting for SE... earthquake will still do more damage with STAB than SE aerial ace with expert belt will to fighters.
stone edge will take care of those bug types, plus flying and ice types. you only lose coverage on grass types by switching in stone edge, but crunch and outrage will hit them hard.

Fighting is a major problem for my team, with only Swoobat to counter them, having Aerial Ace on Carracosta, which has more bulk, can take down a fighting type more safely than Swoobat can. And i already have Rock Slide on Carracosta, Flamethrower on both Zoroark/Chandelure, AND Air Slash on Swoobat. I think i have bug types pretty much covered, as well as Ice types.

and Carracosta doesn't get STAB EQ, only Krookodile does, unless that what you're talking about?? :dizzy:

but her ability Solid Rock already lowers the effectiveness of super effective attacks, and i'm not one to really use berries anyhow :p

Fighting is a major problem for my team, with only Swoobat to counter them, having Aerial Ace on Carracosta, which has more bulk, can take down a fighting type more safely than Swoobat can. And i already have Rock Slide on Carracosta, Flamethrower on both Zoroark/Chandelure, AND Air Slash on Swoobat. I think i have bug types pretty much covered, as well as Ice types.

and Carracosta doesn't get STAB EQ, only Krookodile does, unless that what you're talking about?? :dizzy:

yes, i was talking about stone edge over aerial ace for krookodile.

yes, i was talking about stone edge over aerial ace for krookodile.

LAWL sorry, i'm tired and just got back from over an hour of mind numbing church lol i'll re-look over what you were talking about x)

EDIT: well, i think the premise of what i said is still pretty much true, that having Aerial Ace on Krookodile would help out Swoobat, and i don't think i'd have any problems with Aerial Ace, though i'll test both out and see which generally has the better feel (though the 5pp on SE is really making me "D:")

Last edited:

LAWL sorry, i'm tired and just got back from over an hour of mind numbing church lol i'll re-look over what you were talking about x)

EDIT: well, i think the premise of what i said is still pretty much true, that having Aerial Ace on Krookodile would help out Swoobat, and i don't think i'd have any problems with Aerial Ace, though i'll test both out and see which generally has the better feel (though the 5pp on SE is really making me "D:")

earthquake bp 100 plus stab =150 power for neutral damage to fighting types

aerial ace bp 60 x2 se = 120 power, plus expert belt (+24) =144 super effective power vs fighting types

earthquake will do more damage than aerial ace.
stone edge gives you a way to hit flying, bug and ice types as well, something you dont have on the set, and a way to take out the champions volcarona. im sure you can scrounge a pp max from somewhere to make it 8pp. aerial ace really only gives you an advantage over grass types vs using stone edge, and chandulre can cover grass and is immune to fighting

In addition to what's been said already, if you don't like Stone Edge's shaky accuracy, you can run a set like this:

Hone Claws
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Crunch

The only Pokémon that resist this combination are Virizion and Breloom, which are easily taken care of by Swoobat and Chandelure.

In addition to what's been said already, if you don't like Stone Edge's shaky accuracy, you can run a set like this:

Hone Claws
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Crunch

The only Pokémon that resist this combination are Virizion and Breloom, which are easily taken care of by Swoobat and Chandelure.

also, you can run this to take out fighting types easier

Chandelure {Female}
Moves:
~ Shadow Ball
~ Flamethrower
~ psychic
~ Energy Ball

Hone Claws
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Crunch

i generally am trying to stray away from stat boosting moves (even though this one boost acc. too) as i'm finding that with my style of battling, i rarely find a time to safely use the move. And Outrage is my only SE way to get rid of dragons.

also, you can run this to take out fighting types easier

Chandelure {Female}
Moves:
~ Shadow Ball
~ Flamethrower
~ psychic
~ Energy Ball

Psychic in place of hex ay? i supposed that would sweep better than the off chance that flamethrower would burn getting the double with hex. i think i'll go this route :)

thank so so much guys for all your help. now to just either figure out something on my Zoroark, maybe switch out Nasty Plot for something else, or start looking for a Life Orb..

Attack Sweeper

Krookodile {Female}
Moves:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Crunch
~ Shadow Claw

Mix Speedy Wall

Serperior {Male}
Moves:
~ Wring Out
~ Leaf Blade
~ Giga Drain
~ Growth

Special Sweeper

Zoroark {Male}
Moves:
~ Foul Play
~ Flamethrower
~ Night Daze
~ Nasty Plot

Annoying Special Sweeper

Chandelure {Female}
Moves:
~ Inferno
~ Flamethrower
~ Hex
~ Toxic

Special Sweeper

Swoobat {Female}
Moves:
~ Future Sight
~ Psychic
~ Air Slash
~ Charge Beam

Wall

Carracosta {Female}
Moves:
~ Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Rock Slide
~ Curse

Attack Sweeper

Krookodile {Female}
Moves:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Crunch
~ Aerial Ace

Lead

Serperior {Male}
Moves:
~ Light Screen
~ Leaf Blade
~ Giga Drain
~ Reflect

Special Sweeper

Zoroark {Male}
Moves:
~ Foul Play
~ Flamethrower
~ Night Daze
~ Nasty Plot

Special Sweeper

Chandelure {Female}
Moves:
~ Shadow Ball
~ Flamethrower
~ Psychic
~ Energy Ball

Special Sweeper

Swoobat {Female}
Moves:
~ Future Sight
~ Psychic
~ Air Slash
~ Charge Beam

Wall

Carracosta {Female}
Moves:
~ Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Rock Slide
~ Shell Smash

Last edited:

I know I haven’t been on here in awhile, but I really wanted someone to review this.
Although I’ve beaten my fair share of mono-type teams on Random Matchup, I’ve also seen a few used successfully, to the point I eventually decided, “Why not give it a shot?” So, I decided to create a team based around one of my favorite types - the Dark type.

Note; this team is mostly for Random Matchup, with the possibility of being used against friends.

Anyway, here’s the team:
(A * means that I don’t have the Pokemon yet, and so am more open to suggestions.)

Tyranitar
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Sand Stream
Held Item: Life Orb/Choice Scarf/Expert Belt
Moves:
Stone Edge
Crunch
Earthquake
Ice Beam/???

Good ol’ T-tar. This set is focused on coverage – classic EdgeQuake, Crunch for extra STAB, and Ice Beam both to provide something to work off his decent Special Attack and something to hit Grass, Ground, and Dragon types with. I could put something else in that last slot, though.

Scrafty
Nature: Careful
Held Item: Lum Berry/Chople Berry/Leftovers
Moves:
Drain Punch
Bulk Up
Payback/Crunch
Stone Edge/Dragon Tail/Dragon Claw/???

A slightly more offensive variation of the standard Bulk Up set. This set is simple - Bulk Up, (possibly twice), hopefully KO something, then use the Moxie boost to try and KO some more. I know Dragon Dance is better for outright offence, but at least this can take a hit well while dishing out hits of its own. Lum Berry is there since the lack of Shed Skin could cause problems with status, while Chople Berry is there for possibly catching a Fighting-type by surprise. Crunch could be used over Payback for things slower than Scrafty, like Reuniclus and Dusclops/noir. The last slot is fairly open, so I’m willing to take suggestions (as long as they don’t involve egg moves).

Cacturne*
Nature: Modest/???
Ability: Sand Veil
Held Item: ???
Moves:
Energy Ball
Dark Pulse
Focus Blast
Nasty Plot/???

One of two immune to Tyranitar’s sandstorm. Cacturne isn’t as high tier as some of the other guys here, but I don’t care too much about tiers, partly because they don’t matter quite as much in Random Matchup. That said, I’m not sure what I want to do with it. I’m thinking about putting a physical move in the last slot, or to replace Focus Blast, but I’m not sure what. Some help on this guy in particular would be greatly appreciated.

Mandibuzz*
Nature: Careful/Impish
Ability:Overcoat
Held items: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet/???
Moves:
Knock Off
Roost
Toxic
???

While Scrafty is bulky and offensive at the same time, Mandibuzz focuses solely on being a wall. Knock Off cripples many Pokemon, Roost heals, and Toxic is the closest thing to offence it can really use. The last slot is almost a complete mystery, though. I could go with Whirlwind or Protect, but they both have their flaws, and I’m not sure what else I would want. Overcoat is more useful than Big Pecks, since even in Random Matchup defense-lowering moves are rare, and it makes it immune to both my own Tyranitar’s sandstorm and the weather of opposing teams.

Hydregion
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Held Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf/Life Orb/Expert Belt
Moves:
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Focus Blast

An awesome special juggernaut. This set is pretty straightforward – get in there and DESTROY (almost) EVERYTHING. Seriously, there’s not much more to it.

Weavile
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ability: Pressure
Held Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb/Expert Belt/Choice Band
Moves:
Night Slash
Ice Shard
Low Kick/Brick Break
Swords Dance/X-Scissor/???

Speed and power. Swords Dance is preferred, but Choice Band could work too. Everything else is-self explanatory.

The main problem I see is, naturally, fast Fighting types, or ones with Mach Punch. I could see a Conkeldurr plowing through everything not named Mandibuzz with its Mach Punch. I have almost nothing on these current sets to hit these Fighting types for super effective damage, (though I have plenty that can hit certain dual-fighting types, as well as some that hits them neutrally) and Bug Types could be a problem, too, though thankfully there are no Bug priority moves. If anybody could give me advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Other options for this team I’m considering are Zoroark, Sharpedo (with Speed Boost) Houndoom, Drapion, Umbreon (not very likely, since Scrafty does the same job with better coverage), Absol, Honchkrow, Spiritomb, Krookodile, and Bisharp.
Any constructive criticism and suggestions will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom