• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

2.) I did fairly well with a Zebstrika running a similar set to yours (Thudnerbolt instead of Spark), despite the nearly 90 point difference in Attack and Sp. Attack. I guess the 143 STAB base power won out. Either way, Return or Giga Impact could work as substitutes
3.) An always hitting attack with a STAB total of 135 sounds quite useful to me. Alternately, give it Stone Edge to cover for its flying type weakness.
4.) Draco Meteor is a special attack. Which is why I suggested dumping Strength (physical) for it.
6.) Unable to comment.

2. Well, my Zebstrika's stats are probably not the same as yours. xP
3. I guess so.
4. Really? I dunno why I thought it was a physical attack. xP

Here is my team in training

Scrafty Lv. 39
Brick Break
Crunch
Chip Away
Hi Jump Kick

HiJumpKick is much better than Brick Break in terms of power, so ditch that for either Rock Slide (Stone Edge later on) or Dig. Now, Chip Away seems OK, but Return is probably better, given at that level the thing should love you to death.

Archeops Lv.39
Acrobatics
Crunch
Bulldoze
Fly

Wut? Fly isn't needed, since Acrobatics+Flying Gem+Not in Defeatist range=OW F--K!! Therefore, ditch it for Rock Slide (again, Stone Edge later). The thing already has good enough speed, so Bulldoze should be replaced with Return (again, it probably loves you a LOT). Oh, and assuming your Stoutland has Sand Rush, I suggest running Sandstorm on Archeops.

Whimsicott Lv.39
Energy Ball
Cotton Guard
Stun Spore
Giga Drain

Giga Drain is is slightly less powerful than Energy Ball, but it's more useful since it can replenish H.P. Now, assuming your Whimsicott has Prankster, I'd replace E. Ball with either Tailwind or Toxic. If, however, it's got Infiltrator, use Hidden Power and/or Shadow Ball. Later on in life, you can use Hurricane on either set.

Stoutland Lv.39 (Want to Replace)
Aerial Ace
Crunch
Take Down
Thunder Fang

I dunno, Stoutland seems OK. Return is probably much stronger than Take Down, and Thunderfang is a bit weak. Go with Dig on that end. Once you get to the E4, replace Aerial Ace with Wild Charge.

Samurott Lv.39
Aerial Ace
Razor Shell
Surf
X-Scissor

Go get a Heart Scale and teach it Megahorn, it hurts. Now, Aerial Ace is weak, and you already have Surf, so ditch those first two moves for Revenge, Grass Knot, and/or Ice Beam (the latter later on).

Excadrill Lv.40
X-Scissor
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Hone Claws

Not much to fix, really. Seems OK. I suppose Swords Dance could replace Hone Claws later on, but that's about it.

You want a comment? They're in bold.

only to pinwheel forest on one of my runs through black:

Pansage: 18
Fury Swipes
Work Up
Leech Seed
Vine Whip

Pidove: 20
Gust
Air Cutter
Roost
Quick Attack

Pignite: 22
Tackle
Flame Charge
Ember
Arm Thrust

Planning on getting Jellicent, Garbodor, and Scrafty. <--- love that guy would get Darmanitan if I didn't have Pignite. just trying out things for now, seeing for myself how good the pokemon are.

Edit: may replace Garbodor with Beheeyem. not much I can do with my pokemon's move set, but if a different pokemon works better with my team, please say so.

Last edited:

only to pinwheel forest on one of my runs through black:

Pansage: 18
Fury Swipes
Work Up
Leech Seed
Vine Whip
Right now, level him up once so he can learn Bite over either Fury Swipes or Leech Seed. Once he gets to Lv. 22, teach him Seed Bomb over Vine Whip.

Pidove: 20
Gust
Air Cutter
Roost
Quick Attack
Pidove doesn't really have a good movepool right now, what with his best move being held back by the creature's low base Sp. Atk. If you have the TM for Return, use over Gust. I suppose you could use Work Up on him, too.

Pignite: 22
Tackle
Flame Charge
Ember
Arm Thrust
In one level, your Pignite will learn Rollout. Replace Ember with that. Later on, replace Tackle with Take Down.

Planning on getting Jellicent, Garbodor, and Scrafty. <--- love that guy would get Darmanitan if I didn't have Pignite. just trying out things for now, seeing for myself how good the pokemon are.

Edit: may replace Garbodor with Beheeyem. not much I can do with my pokemon's move set, but if a different pokemon works better with my team, please say so.
For now, I think a Lillipup/Herdier would suit your team well, since it learns Take Down at such a low level. Woobat might also come in handy with Gust and Confusion.

Later on, Jellicent would be a good teamate (with Hex, Will-o-Wisp, and Surf), as would Galvantula (long as it has Compundeyes, use Thunder, if not, Discharge or T-Bolt). If you wanna use Beheeyem, give it Thunderbolt/Charge Beam and/or Energy Ball. With Scrafty, make sure it has HiJumpKick, not just Jump Kick. Payback would also work, since his spped is quite low.

You wanted comments? They're in bold.

If I wanted a grass type, but already have a fighting type on my team, would Virizion or Leavanny be better?

If I wanted a grass type, but already have a fighting type on my team, would Virizion or Leavanny be better?

Virizion is difficult to get and you should leave it for post game,so that you can keep soft resetting till you get an hp ice virizion for wifi battling.

Yeah, except I don't have Wifi, so I can't Wifi Battle.

I know, but I need to balance out other weaknesses, and a grass type does it best.

Pignite Level 31
499.gif

Heat Crash
Flame Charge (soon to be replaced)
Arm Thrust
Rollout

Herdier Level 30
507.gif

Return
Work Up
Crunch
Dig

Darumaka Lvl 30
554.gif

Fire Punch
Thrash
Headbutt
Work Up

Yamask Level 27 (EXP Share)
562.gif

Ominous Wind
Hex
Will'o'wisp
Haze
As you can see, I don't really care about type problems. I prefer Pokémon with reasonable amounts of power, but it's not a huge necessity.

As you can see, I don't really care about type problems. I prefer Pokémon with reasonable amounts of power, but it's not a huge necessity.

ferrothorm@leftovers(if possible) or shell bell
curse
gyro ball/iron head
power whip
payback/leech seed.

This is my fave ingame set for this guy.He can absorb a lot of punishment.
First set up leech seed,if u have it that is.
then set up 1 curse,maybe 2.(he has so much defense,that he can easily do it.)
then attack with power whip and gyro ball,which will hit very hard.Use iron head if u r less concerned about power and more about pp.
He can fit in you team perfectly.Dont forget to give feedback if u try it.

Maybe, except I already have a fairly good wall (Confagrigus), so his position might not be the best. Worth a shot, I guess.

Maybe, except I already have a fairly good wall (Confagrigus), so his position might not be the best. Worth a shot, I guess.

cofagrigious has many problems as far as its move-pool is concerned.

Edit
@Thundagere

What i want to say is that cofa sucks ingame completely.I have played with him and he lacks the movepool especially before E4.He's just not useful enough.

And yes to effectively utilize that set i gave you,i recommend leech seed.Its incredibly useful.
And if u want a powerful ghost go for chandelure AND GIVE ONE OF UR POKES SUNNY DAY.
Chandelure is absolutely DEVASTATING.And you can take water hits in the sun and can fall back on ferro if needed.

Last edited:

Im on a run through Black, and so far I have:
Oshawott: 13 Lax

Pansear: 12 Docile

I want to start over with better natures for at least Oshawott. what are some good natures for it, and what is a good team if Oshawott and Pansear are the 1st two members? If I get a Garvantula, I was thinking of being raindance based, but I'm not sure since I will have Pansear. Plz make some suggestions on team, maybe a good moveset for endgame, and I can work toward it on my own.

Im on a run through Black, and so far I have:
Oshawott: 13 Lax

Pansear: 12 Docile

I want to start over with better natures for at least Oshawott. what are some good natures for it, and what is a good team if Oshawott and Pansear are the 1st two members? If I get a Garvantula, I was thinking of being raindance based, but I'm not sure since I will have Pansear. Plz make some suggestions on team, maybe a good moveset for endgame, and I can work toward it on my own.

I can suggest you a rain dance team but first tell me whether you will be able to get fossil pokes like Kabutops or not?

cofagrigious has many problems as far as its move-pool is concerned.

Edit
@Thundagere

What i want to say is that cofa sucks ingame completely.I have played with him and he lacks the movepool especially before E4.He's just not useful enough.

And yes to effectively utilize that set i gave you,i recommend leech seed.Its incredibly useful.
And if u want a powerful ghost go for chandelure AND GIVE ONE OF UR POKES SUNNY DAY.
Chandelure is absolutely DEVASTATING.And you can take water hits in the sun and can fall back on ferro if needed.

FYI, I swapped out Darumaka for a Tirtouga. It has proven extremely useful, both in countering my weaknesses and being all around awesome.
Thus, I'm thinking now that that's taken care of, maybe I should just get a Mienshao and end it at that? Of course, that would replace Yamask...

I can suggest you a rain dance team but first tell me whether you will be able to get fossil pokes like Kabutops or not?

No, I won't. If I could get a raindance team with just 5th gens, that would be great. If not, a sunny day team, or just a team that has good coverage that works for e4. I know scrafty covers e4 members, excluding marshal. I'm even allowing ice type suggestions :p hate ice, but if it works, I'm up for it

Last edited:

No, I won't. If I could get a raindance team with just 5th gens, that would be great. If not, a sunny day team, or just a team that has good coverage that works for e4. I know scrafty covers e4 members, excluding marshal. I'm even allowing ice type suggestions :p hate ice, but if it works, I'm up for it

Physical or special based?

For the physical, you've got Mamoswine, Beartic and Weavile. Special, Jynx or Glaceon.

Though, teaching Ice Beam to a non-ice type with high SP attack seems like a better option. If only because ice has five weaknesses, three of which are common types used in attacking.

------------------------------------

Well, here's my team:

Scolipede (Lv 56) - Serious - Poison Point - Black Sludge
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Volcarona (Lv 82) - Modest - Flame Body - Shell Bell
- Heat Wave
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast

Samurott (Lv 91) - Quirky - Torrent - Mystic Water
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Zebstrika (Lv 91 - Brave - Motor Drive - Magnet
- Thrash
- Thunderbolt
- Flame Charge
- Wild Charge

Braviary (Lv 82) - Impish - Sheer Force - Leftovers
- Superpower
- Brave Bird
- Rock Slide
- Fly

Liepart (Lv 66) - Quiet -Limber - None
- Thief
- Grass Knot
- Night Slash
- Echoed Voice

Last edited:

Physical or special based?

For the physical, you've got Mamoswine, Beartic and Weavile. Special, Jynx or Glaceon.

Though, teaching Ice Beam to a non-ice type with high SP attack seems like a better option. If only because ice has five weaknesses, three of which are common types used in attacking.

i usually go with physical, and I would like beartic, since it is 5th gen. I also have oshawott that I could teach an ice move down the road

Back
Top Bottom