• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

I don't think that that will work too well, because you are going to be overwhelmed by the sheer power in Doubles, while not producing enough to do the same.

I would agree with Angad. The grass type weakness is going to be an issue, even with Flamethrower on Manectric. Also, why THunder Wave over something like Charge Beam? At any rate, I'd recommend a more offensive stance.

I have it all planned out, Poliwrath uses Belly Drum, maximizing his attack, then Salac berry would kick in, increasing his speed. Hopefully Politoed would be fast enough to use Surf and heal Poliwrath, and then Poliwrath can begin to destroy the opposition. If I give Poliwrath Ice punch, that's Grass sorted. Seriously Grass isn't an issue. However the whole thing falls apart if Poliwrath can't set up though so I might get something with Follow Me instead?

I have it all planned out, Poliwrath uses Belly Drum, maximizing his attack, then Salac berry would kick in, increasing his speed. Hopefully Politoed would be fast enough to use Surf and heal Poliwrath, and then Poliwrath can begin to destroy the opposition. If I give Poliwrath Ice punch, that's Grass sorted. Seriously Grass isn't an issue. However the whole thing falls apart if Poliwrath can't set up though so I might get something with Follow Me instead?

Moves like fakeout, rock slide are too common in doubles. What if poliwrath loses 50% before it can set up?

A few things, Salac Berry isn't currently out. And the main issue with that is that you are assuming that your opponent won't doing anything in this time. Themes are prevalent in Doubles, whether it is Auto-weather, Trick Room, Tailwind, or Thunder Wave, what do you expect your opponent will do in this time?

@PkmnGreen : It looks like Pokémon like Jolteon could give you a bit of a headache. It'll outspeed and definitely KO Poliwrath.
Also, why THunder on Manectric if you aren't running Rain Dance? It's accuracy could be a problem. I'm thinking more THunderbolt Charge Beam, Hidden Power, and Flamethrower. Good coverage and a bit of oomph with Charge Beam.

@PkmnGreen

Well, most of it has been said already.
Why not use drizzle politoed? (i assume that this is a gen 5 team)
Also swampert won't be able to use earthquake at all, as you have no levitators or fliers. Manectric will also faint, if it takes your swampert's earthquake.

@PkmnGreen

Well, most of it has been said already.
Why not use drizzle politoed? (i assume that this is a gen 5 team)
Also swampert won't be able to use earthquake at all, as you have no levitators or fliers. Manectric will also faint, if it takes your swampert's earthquake.
EQ usually is fine if you have enough protectors.

Manectric's going to have a balloon, so Earthquake isn't a problem for that, unless Manectric's hit. Politoed would outspeed Swampert, so no problem there, as long as I'm careful to use Earthguake on the turn Politoed bounces.

Manectric's going to have a balloon, so Earthquake isn't a problem for that, unless Manectric's hit. Politoed would outspeed Swampert, so no problem there, as long as I'm careful to use Earthguake on the turn Politoed bounces.

I don't know why you aren't using dw politoed.

I don't know why you aren't using dw politoed.

Because it's over used and I don't want to be like everyone else, plus I'm not too keen on weather battles.

All though it would be good though. Maybe I'll try it, thanks for the tip :)

Because it's over used and I don't want to be like everyone else, plus I'm not too keen on weather battles.

All though it would be good though. Maybe I'll try it, thanks for the tip :)

You should use whatever suits your team and playing style. for example, if your favourite becomes Ou, you will stop using him?

also, you might want to consider swift swim poliwrath. politoed will give the rain which will remove the need for salac berry and increase poliwrath's speed to very high levels. Poliwrath's waterfall will also hit like a truck after that which means you can remove belly drum(it is very risky to use BD in doubles). Just put in bulk up or something if you wanna boost.

Whats more, you can also put in thunder on manectric since it will always hit.

You can also put in something like swift swim Kabutops or Kingdra(they aren't Ou) instead of swampert but its your call.

I'm majorly tweaking my team a bit.

The 100% finished members are a Braviary and Volcarona.

Braviary: Superpower, Brave Bird, Fly, Rock Slide

Volcarona: Bug Buzz, Solarbeam, Sunny Day, Fiery Dance

I'm majorly tweaking my team a bit.

The 100% finished members are a Braviary and Volcarona.

Braviary: Superpower, Brave Bird, Fly, Rock Slide

Volcarona: Bug Buzz, Solarbeam, Sunny Day, Fiery Dance

unless absolutely necessary, you should remove fly(get a hm slave for it) from braviary and replace it with u turn or return.
NEVER EVER USE VOLCARONA WITHOUT QUIVER DANCE. Remove sunny day + solar beam and put in Qd + psychic.

Did a complete overhaul of my team to use more for Wifi and Battle Frontier. Bred like a baziliion of each to get the best IV's possible. There's gotta be an easy, nonpokesav way to get good IV's... Anyways

Feraligatr
Nature: +Att, - Sp Att
EVs: near max HP, near max Sp Def, some Def
Leftovers

Dragon Dance
Subsitute
Waterfall
Ice Punch

Crobat
Nature: +Att, - Sp Def
EVs: Near Max HP, near Max Att, some Speed
Life Orb

U-turn
Pursuit
Brave Bird
Toxic/Roost (I think toxic would be better for Wifi, roost for BF)

Mamoswine (snowcloak)
Nature: +Att, -Sp Att
EVs: Near max HP, Near Max Attack, some defense
NevermeltIce/Choiceband?

Hail
Ice Shard
Earthquake
Bite/Stone Edge (think stone edge is better for wifi, Bite for BF)

Victreebel
Nature: +Att, -Def
EV's: Near Max Att, Near Max Speed, some Sp Att
Focus Sash

Leaf Blade
Sucker Punch
HP Ground
Sleep Powder

Forretress
Nature: +Sp Def, -Speed
EVs: Near max HP, Split Defense/Sp Defence
Leftovers

Stealth Rock
Spikes
Rapid spin/Bug Bite (rapid spin for spinning away hazards, mainly wifi. Bug Bite for Battle Frontier)
GyroBall/Explosion/Protect (gyroball mainly for BF, then Explosion, protect, or gyro for wifi)

Slowking (technically still slowpoke, but i'll evolve him once i get access to NWFC)
Nature: +Def, -Att
EVs:Near Max Defence, Sp Defence, some HP
Leftovers

ThunderWave
Nasty Plot (Technically still Slack Off but I'm gonna change it)
Surf
Psychic

So thats my team. Please give ratings based on Wifi capabilities/Battle Frontier Abilities. Thanks! I haven't tried the Battle frontier with it yet. I've just been spamming Battle Factory for BP to get my moves. Also breeding for Hidden Power + Good Nature BLOWS! Does anyone play GenIV on wifi anymore?

@torf.0'

Unfortunately, your team in it's current state isn't very competitive. I'd suggest looking a look at Smogon's analyses for DPP OU Pokemon. Your first team should be one that utilizes common Pokemon and standard movesets. Once your level of skill increases, you can begin making more original teams.

Yes, people still have Gen. IV battles on both Wi-Fi and simulators. Gen. V battles, however, are easier to find.

@Heathcliff Huxtable

I actually downloaded Pokemon Online the other day and took this team online, albeit with perfect IVs rather than the best i could get with breeding. It was surprisingly competitive in GenV standard, really the only thing that gave me trouble where scarfed Max Attack Haxourous leads. Crobat makes an excellent lead/scout, I will admit that there are better ones. U-Turn on unfavorable matchups and if predict a switch then either pursuit or toxic can really damage an opponent. Forrettress is always good for setting up/spinning away rocks, although I almost always has to sacrifice him. If I can predict a good double switch and Slowking or Feraligatr can set up its game over. Mamoswine makes an excellent revenge killer on dragons with IceShard, and has good coverage with Stone Edge and STAB with Earthquake. I admit Victreebel sucks out of the sun. He's basically a one and done unless i can get a good sleep powder in. Not saying this team is good by any means, cause its not anyone who knows what there doing can 6-0 me like nothing ever happened. Especially Sandrush Excadrill or Scarf Haxourous, but if the hax are in my favor and with some good predicting this team can rack up consistent wins. And call me a noob, cause i am one :p but the fact that my noobness is unpredictable really gives me the edge in alot of battles. I haven't played GenIV on PO with this match up but I think that I would have alot of success with it. I haven't gone on Smogon yet, eventually I'll have too, but I'm gonna hold out on that untill I get completely stomped in wifi or PO and get pwned. :p In my first few days, I've realized that alot of skills that apply in card games like Poker or Pitch apply in Pokemon. I may be a noob but I'm not newby. Maybe I've just battled noobs though... (I did beat a guy with Mewtwo and Giratina on his team and after I yelled at him for bringing ubers into a standard match, he was like WTF is an uber??? certainly not everyone on PO is that retarded...)

Anyways, thanks for your help. I know that its probably really hard to rate gimmicky teams, I just posted to see if I could get an experts opinion on my current team. its not unrealistic that this team is really bad and I just didn't know since i was having so much success with it

My Unbeatable team in Pokemon White

Zekrom
Landorus
Mewtwo
Dialga
Emboar
Swanna

It would be greatly appreciated if you could rec some sets for those guys as well! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom