• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

So, I've been working on this sand team, and I'd like to see if anybody has suggestions as to how I might improve it, what kind of battle style would fit it best (I've found that Rotation and Single work particularly well), etc. I kinda suck at keeping track of EV's, too, so i don't know if I should post stats instead... I think that's a fairly big no-no, though, so i'll just skip it unless someone asks.
here goes!
(Asphalt) Tyranitar @ Icicle Plate, Sand Stream, Adamant
Moves:
Crunch
Rock Slide
Ice Fang
Earthquake

Asphalt is typically my start, since his ability pretty much sets up to help the entire team. The Sandstorm also gives him a welcome SpDef. boost, which is nice. I'm kind of waffling about whether i should keep Ice Fang, but I can't think of what to replace it with.

(Sandra) Mandibuzz@ Leftovers, Overcoat, Adamant
Moves:
Brave Bird
Tailwind
Faint Attack
Bone Rush

Sandra may be a little redundant in her current function, but i've been infinitely grateful for her high defenses and the Tailwind boost. If all else fails, I can use faint attack and brave bird to attack, saving bone rush primarily for steel and electric types.

(Knuckles) Excadrill@ Scope Lens, Sand Rush, Adamant
Moves:
Rapid Spin
Drill Run
Hone Claws
Rock Slide

Knux is the main sweeper of the team, and loves the 4x speed boost he gets from combined Sand Rush and Tailwind. The idea is to use Hone Claws to amp PhysAtk and Accuracy, then to spam Drill Run and Rock Slide. I'm considering switching Rock Slide for Stone Edge, since Stone Edge has higher critical rates and more power, but i like Rock Slide for it's higher PP and possibility of flinch. For pesky entry hazards, I've also included Rapid Spin on this set.

(Slim Shady) Krookodile@ Persim Berry, Moxie, Jolly
Moves:
Foul Play
Outrage
Crunch
EQ

Slim here is one i'm considering retraining because of the apparent redundancy of Crunch and Foul Play. At any rate, as he currently stands, the strategy is to gain at least one Moxie boost and start sweeping with Outrage. Because of the Persim Berry, i can use Outrage more than once, potentially sweeping the remainder of a team.

(Polarus) Magnezone@ Wise Glasses, Magnet Pull, Gentle
Moves:
Thunderbolt
Tri Attack
Flash Cannon
Magnet Rise

Polarus is significant on this team because he is the only SpAtk-er. Magnet Rise gives him temporary immunity to his 4x ground weakness, and I personally like Tri Attack for it's multiple stat inflict possibilities. Unfortunately, if he dies, I lose my one good counter to water-types (from my perspective, i may, and probably, have missed something).

(Marluxia) Durant@ Wide Lens, Hustle, Adamant
Moves:
Iron Head
Crunch
X-Scissor
Dig

Marluxia is one of my favorite pokes on the team and is the secondary counter to fighting types, due to his typing. Hustle's accuracy drop is, for the most part, balanced out by the Wide Lens, which pretty much gives Mar a fairly decent power base. I know that Dig is predictable and easily switchable, but Durant sadly lacks EQ and I'm not sure about Rock Slide and Stone Edge.

So, overall, the primary strategy of this team is to set up Knuckles, then sweep with Drill Run or Rock Slide. The other pokemon on the team are fairly reliable with a Tailwind boost and can normally get in a decent kill when needed. I have taken note of the fact that, being a sandstorm team, i have major issues functioning in any other weather condition, so i'm pretty reliant on Asphalt to not die (which might be a good reason to Focus Sash it...). Anyways, if you have any suggestions, like I mentioned at the top, I'm ready to listen.

You mentioned EVs, so I'm confused...do you mean for this to be an in-game team, or a competitive team?

I'm thinking competitive, rather than in-game...

I'm not going to argue with that. I meant to say it's in the wrong thread, as it definitely wasnt in the right thread.

This is for my SoulSilver game, all are level 30

153.png

Hiedra (Bayleef)
Nature:Careful
Ability: Overgrow
Stats: HP:78/Attack:44/Defense:59/Sp.Atk:42/Sp.Def:60/Speed:60
Moves:
-Cut
-Synthesis
-Razor Leaf
-Natural Gift
Spr_4h_164.png

Lechuzo (Noctowl)
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Insomnia
Stats: HP:102/Attack:45/Defense:43/Sp.Atk:50/Sp.Def:65/Speed:63
Moves:
-Take Down
-Reflect
-Confusion
-Peck
Spr_4h_181.png

Oveja (Ampharos)
Nature: Naive
Ability: Static
Stats: HP:98/Attack:58/Defense:53/Sp.Atk:75/Sp.Def:57/Speed:51
Moves:
-Tackle
-ThunderPunch
-Thunder Wave
-Charge
195.png

Quagzu (Quagsire)
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Damp
Stats: HP:106/Attack:64/Defense:64/Sp.Atk:51/Sp.Def:58/Speed:33
Moves:
-Surf
-Slam
-Mud Bomb
-Amnesia
Spr_4h_196.png

Solveon (Espeon)
Nature: Bashful
Ability: Synchronize
Stats: HP:88/Attack:48/Defense:49/Sp.Atk:86/Sp.Def:71/Speed:79
Moves:
-Confusion
-Swift
-Helping Hand
-Sand-Attack
Spr_4h_126.png

Magbo (Magmar)
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Flame Body
Stats: HP:83/Attack:77/Defense:39/Sp.Atk:71/Sp.Def:62/Speed:72
Moves:
-Fire Punch
-Confuse Ray
-Faint Attack
-Sunny Day

I've played Pokemon before, but a little expert advice can't hurt lol

This is for my SoulSilver game, all are level 30
Well, first of all, where are you in the game?
153.png

Hiedra (Bayleef)
Moves:
-Cut
-Synthesis
-Razor Leaf
-Natural Gift
Now, Meganium isn't really offensive, but even so, cut...myeh. Not that good, you might want to replace that. Still, Light Screen and Reflect I would definitely recommend. With light clay, it's so useful in elite four battles.

Spr_4h_164.png

Lechuzo (Noctowl)
Moves:
-Take Down
-Reflect
-Confusion
-Peck
I've never used him, but I think that he's a special attacker. I would aim for that angle. Use special moves, maybe psychic and hypnosis? If you want to, Dream Eater, I personally dislike it, but your call.

Spr_4h_181.png

Oveja (Ampharos)
Moves:
-Tackle
-ThunderPunch
-Thunder Wave
-Charge
My personal favorite moveset for this guy is Signal Beam, Power Gem, Discharge, and preference move. It works well and gets pretty good coverage.

195.png

Quagzu (Quagsire)
Moves:
-Surf
-Slam
-Mud Bomb
-Amnesia
Spr_4h_196.png

Solveon (Espeon)
Moves:
-Confusion
-Swift
-Helping Hand
-Sand-Attack

Espeon's built for hard hitting. GO for powerful moves like Psychic, shadow ball...pretty much, hit hard and fast.
Spr_4h_126.png

Magbo (Magmar)
Moves:
-Fire Punch
-Confuse Ray
-Faint Attack
-Sunny Day
Can you evolve him to Magmortar? If so, do so and go Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and special moves. Works great, and very powerful.
I've played Pokemon before, but a little expert advice can't hurt lol

@Thundagere Right now I just beat Team Rocket (again) at Lake of Rage and about to challenge 7th gym. Here's some changes that I plan on making.

153.png

Hiedra (Bayleef)
Moves:
-Reflect
-Synthesis
-Razor Leaf
-Natural Gift
The thought of having an HM slave never occured to me until it was too late lol. I had my friend get rid of Cut (he has Platinum) and made her re-learn Reflect. He's also offering to teach her Seed Bomb in place of Razor Leaf, but I'm debating on doing that or having her learn Petal Dance when she evolves. But if I go with Seed Bomb, she can learn Light Screen sooner.

Spr_4h_164.png

Lechuzo (Noctowl)
Moves:
-Take Down
-Reflect
-Confusion
-Peck
I would've had him learn Hypnosis, but I missed it while he was in the Pokewalker :/. My friend can have him re-learn Hypnosis, but I'm not sure what I should replace it with.

Spr_4h_181.png

Oveja (Ampharos)
Moves:
-Tackle
-ThunderPunch
-Thunder Wave
-Charge
195.png

Quagzu (Quagsire)
Moves:
-Surf
-Slam
-Mud Bomb
-Amnesia
Spr_4h_196.png

Solveon (Espeon)
Moves:
-Confusion
-Shadow Ball
-Helping Hand
-Sand-Attack/Swift
Spr_4h_126.png

Magbo (Magmar)
Moves:
-Fire Punch
-Confuse Ray
-Faint Attack
-Sunny Day
I always thought that he should stick to attacks because of his Lonely nature. Also I was suprised to learn that Magmar evolves again since he just evolved from Magby.

Also I was planning on catching a Swinub when I can if that changes any of the team dynamics.

Magmar evolves from magmortar is traded with a magmarizer.
A swinub? When it evolves to Mamoswine, it'll be beast, with ungodly attack. I might replace Noctowl, since it's not that good, but your call. Maybe Quagsire.

Don't Rain On My Parade [A Battle Subway Rain Doubles Team]

Overview
186.png
598.png
230.png
243.png

Seeing as this is my first foray into Rain and Double battles,
I wanted to make sure I did it right, the only reason being I need a 49 win
streak for my Trainer Card Star. I'm not there yet in Singles,
not even close, but that's another story.​

With the exception of Raikou, being an Event Raikou,
everyone else can change.
Raikou has already been EV trained,
so the only thing that can be changed easily is the moveset.

Lead #1
186.png

Politoed @ Bold
Drizzle @ Wacan Berry
252 HP/252 Def/6 Sp. Def
-Scald
-Encore/Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Protect​

My first lead, used to start Rain, and get the party started.
Scald > Surf to protect teammates (really Scizor) from boosted Surfs.
Scald is also nice for the possible burn, slow down Physical sweepers,
help others set up. Encore to slow them down, Toxic to weaken tough
walls that resist Water, and Protect to scout and Toxic Stall.
Ice Beam would be used to KO Grass types, who obviously scare Politoed,
though if Raikou carries HP [Ice], its not as needed.​

Lead #2

598.png

Ferrothorn @ Careful
Iron Barbs @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Sp. Def/6 Def
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip/Seed Bomb
-Curse
-Leech Seed​

My second lead, takes advantage of the rain to set up.
Uses Leftovers and Leech Seed to stay healthy and set up Curse,
boost the power of Gyro Ball and Power Whip/Seed Bomb.
Can't decide between the two moves, Power Whip for more power,
but the accuracy is a bit low, and Gyro Ball will be used most of the time.​

Physical Sweeper
230.png

Kingdra @ Adamant
Swift Swim @ Chesto Berry
252 HP/252 Attack/6 Defense
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Rest
-Dragon Dance

According to a list posted on Smogon, the magic number for the fastest
pokemon in the Battle Subway is Manectric, at 258 with a Choice Scarf.
According to Serebii's IV Calculator, even with a Speed IV of 0
and no Speed EVs, after a Dragon Dance in the Rain,
Kingdra will hit a minimum Speed of 270. Here's the math:​

Adamant nature, no Speed EVs, Speed IV of 0
Minimun Speed stat of 90
Dragon Dance +1 Speed = 1.5x
Swift Swim boost = 2.0x
90 x 1.5 = 135
135 x 2.0 = 270​

Dragon Dance until the HP gets low, Rest off the damage,
waking up with the Chesto Berry. Use Waterfall as main STAB,
with Outrage as a backup to cover any Water/Grass/Poliwrath/
Toxicroak/Parasect.​

Special Sweeper
243.png

Raikou @ Rash
Pressure @ Shell Bell/Life Orb
252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed/6 HP
-Thunder
-Aura Sphere
-Weather Ball/HP [Ice]
-Calm Mind/HP [Ice]

Reminder! This is the Event Raikou for the 13th Movie,
and therefore is unable to be changed easily, with
the exception of the moveset, everything else
cannot be changed.

Decided to switch Scizor with Raikou, give me a somewhat
durable Electric type capable of shrugging off Special Electric
moves Ferrothorn can't deal with well, while Ferrothorn will deal
with the Physical Electric attacks, due to Iron Barbs and Curse.
Thunder is the main STAB attack, accuracy boosted by Rain.
Aura Sphere hits Blissey better than anything else, and
is nice to use against DT/Evasion Hax. Can't decide the last
two slots, or the item. Calm Mind for stronger attacks and beefed
Sp. Defense, but Weather Ball murders Ground types that scare it,
while HP [Ice] is great for the Dragon types that scare Kingdra,
and Ground types immune/neutral to Water.​

Closing Comments

~Fighting types are a worry, as no one on the team resists Fighting.
Ferrothorn can try and deal with Physical Fighting types,
with help from Politoed's Scald burn, and a couple of Curses.
If Raikou keeps Calm Mind, he could try and take Special Fighting
attacks, though there are a lot less of those.​

So all in all, this is in the early planning stages, and can be changed quite easily.

Things in BOLD mean it was recently changed

Last edited:
Re: Don't Rain On My Parade [A Battle Subway Rain Doubles Team]

Not enough time for a full rate now, but I have a quick suggestion. Even though your team is, quite obviously, meant to be more offensive than defensive, I think a Gastrodon would help with the problems that you mentioned. It's immune to Electric-type attacks, and, if you get one with Storm Drain, then it would gain a +1 SpAttack boost when your Politoed uses Surf. A physically defensive set could handle Fighting-type Pokémon well, even though it doesn't resist those type of moves, and its only weakness - Grass-types - is resisted doubly by two of the other Pokémon on your team. Seeing as Scizor would be more useful, and you said you don't want to replace it, I would recommend replacing Ferrothorn with it.

Then, if Gastrodon is used, you have a small problem with having 3 SpAttack-orientated Pokémon on your team - something that can be easily remedied by switching to a more physically-based Kingdra, or running a mixed set.

You say Ferrothorn can use the rain to help it set up, but Gastrodon would be able to boost its SpAttack while still attacking, which, seeing as hitting as hard as you can is pretty much the Battle Subway's thing, is probably a good thing.

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed your Politoed has Scald instead of Surf. My bad. Surf would be great with Gastrodon, though.

Re: Don't Rain On My Parade [A Battle Subway Rain Doubles Team]

-Why use Seed bomb on Ferrothorn, when you can use Power Whip?
-If you use Gastrodon, then you can use surf instead of waterfall. I wouldn't use waterfall on a special Atk. Kingdra.
-You could have a scizor with superpower from HG/P, instead of Brick Break?

Not enough time for a full rate now, but I have a quick suggestion. Even though your team is, quite obviously, meant to be more offensive than defensive, I think a Gastrodon would help with the problems that you mentioned. It's immune to Electric-type attacks, and, if you get one with Storm Drain, then it would gain a +1 SpAttack boost when your Politoed uses Surf. A physically defensive set could handle Fighting-type Pokémon well, even though it doesn't resist those type of moves, and its only weakness - Grass-types - is resisted doubly by two of the other Pokémon on your team. Seeing as Scizor would be more useful, and you said you don't want to replace it, I would recommend replacing Ferrothorn with it.

Then, if Gastrodon is used, you have a small problem with having 3 SpAttack-orientated Pokémon on your team - something that can be easily remedied by switching to a more physically-based Kingdra, or running a mixed set.

You say Ferrothorn can use the rain to help it set up, but Gastrodon would be able to boost its SpAttack while still attacking, which, seeing as hitting as hard as you can is pretty much the Battle Subway's thing, is probably a good thing.

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed your Politoed has Scald instead of Surf. My bad. Surf would be great with Gastrodon, though.

I will think about switching in Gastrodon, thanks for the rate.

-Why use Seed bomb on Ferrothorn, when you can use Power Whip?
-You could have a scizor with superpower from HG/P, instead of Brick Break?

The accuracy is discouraging, and is mostly used as a back up to Gyro Ball, though I might change to Power Whip.

Superpower on a Swords Dance Scizor isn't a good idea, for the simple reason it basically removes the stat boosts.

Team has been overhauled, with Scizor being removed in favor of Raikou, and Kingdra switching from a Special sweeper to a Physical DDSweeper.

Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Hey guys! I need help with my Rhydon Rhian in SoulSilver. I want to evolve her into Rhyperior, but I want to give her a good moveset before I do.

Rhian/Rhydon: Lightningrod/Gentle/Protector
Level: 61
- Stone Edge
- Strength
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I want to get rid of Hidden Power and Strength and teach her Aqua Tail, Hammer Arm, Superpower, or ThunderPunch. Any combination of the two is fine, as long as I can cover her weaknesses effectively.

Any tips or ideas for other moves that I should teach?

Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Hey guys! I need help with my Rhydon Rhian in SoulSilver. I want to evolve her into Rhyperior, but I want to give her a good moveset before I do.

Rhian/Rhydon: Lightningrod/Gentle/Protector
Level: 61
- Stone Edge
- Strength
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I want to get rid of Hidden Power and Strength and teach her Aqua Tail, Hammer Arm, Superpower, or ThunderPunch. Any combination of the two is fine, as long as I can cover her weaknesses effectively.

Any tips or ideas for other moves that I should teach?

- Thunderpunch for sure to take care of those pesky waters. Since it has low speed to begin with I would go with hammer arm, super power will just weaken its attack and defence slightly.

Is this team good enough to beat the second gym leader?

Stantler lvl 15
Girafarig lvl15
Shuckle lvl 20
Smeargle lvl 22
Gyarados lvl 30 (It was meant to be a Remoraid, but I decided to catch the one at the lake of rage instead.) ((Sorry for the misinformation. I was trading with my friend, and he told me it was the one from lake rage.))
Miltank lvl35

Conclusion: Miltank knew rollout.....so yeaaahhh.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom