• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Been waiting and hoping for some advice on this since last October :(
Anyone?...

I know this is a looooooong shot, but i need some desperate help with some movesets of my pokemon in Colosseum :[ That game is just so limiting (not to mention the pre-physical/special move split) in terms of TMs so i need fresh eyes to give me some suggestions!

I'll list my team so you guys can make heads&tails of it all (boys/girls):

Menu_Colo_160.png

Feraligatr @Mystic Water
Torrent (Timid)
143/104/105/85/86/101
-Surf
-Slash
-Bite
-Rain Dance

Needless to say his STAB special typing is not his strong suit :[

Menu_Colo_200.png

Misdreavus @Spell Tag
Levitate (Careful)
119/73/70/79/103/100
-Shadow Ball
-Psybeam
-Mean Look
-Perish Song

She isn't too bad, though it's quite obvious attacking isn't really her style (much like Umbreon). Though when all else fails, she is able to Perish Song major threats out of my way.

Menu_Colo_164.png

Noctowl @Silk Scarf
Keen Eye (Bashful)
156/71/64/83/109/74
-Take Down
-Fly
-Steel Wing
-Hypnosis

Again, not much in terms of powerhouse, but with Hypnosis paired with Umberon's Confuse Ray, it makes for a decent HypnoRay hax strategy to make captures a bit easier :s

Menu_Colo_181.png

Ampharos @----
Static (Serious)
145/73/82/115/93/67
-Thunderbolt
-Thundershock
-Thunderwave
-Light Screen

With Feraligatr's Rain Dance up this is "ok" but there just isn't anything to her move-set! I hate how many electric moves she has :S

Menu_Colo_197.png

Umbreon @Quick Claw
Synchronize (Sassy)
161/73/113/74/149/63
-Secret Power
-Bite
-Toxic
-Confuse Ray

Meh. I don't even know what to say.

Menu_Colo_196.png

Espeon @Twistedspoon
Synchronize (Naive)
128/82/68/146/92/141
-Psychic
-Psybeam
-Return
-Helping Hand

Again, meh.

So there they are, my team. I don't have a fire type (D:) or any fire moves of the sort.. I'm wanting to avoid using Entei, and Magcargo just reeks. What makes this even harder is that i can't just make my team a murderous powerhouse since i would like to be able to actually catch the shadow pokemon 1st time around.

Tips, advice, suggestions! please i need them! D:>

Yeah, I'll think about that...I never thought about using it in double and triple battles(but you're risking your allies)I'd have to partner it with Cryogonal or Have Golurk Fly if it was in the center, then...

BY THE WAY, IT HAS MUCH HIGHER SP.ATTACK! I'D NEED A NEW POKEMON TO TEST THAT COMBO OUT...

Oh. You may want to get swift swim, then, so it can land heavy duty water moves at an astonishing in-game speed. Which, again, involves getting a different Seismitoad, but I digress. It might still be a decent idea to teach your current Seismitoad Venoshock, though, to capitalize on it's higher SpAtk and it's ability. I've no idea what to replace it with, though...

I've almost completed my planned team for Black and I'm stuck on whether to go with Seismitoad or Jelicent as a water type. Without them my team is Serperior, Krookodile, Zororak, Gothitelle, Galvantula and Mandibuzz.

I am also going to breed my Gothita, and can't decide between Dark Pulse or Mirror Coat as an egg move since I can't have both (I'm quite indecisive if you hadn't guessed lol).

Suggestions?

well i don't know sort of battling style you have but seiemitoed = offensive and jellicent = defensive, though jellicent does have a decent type synergy with your team.

Again, i don't know what will you be using gothita for. It can learn shadow ball, which means dark pulse isn't necessary and your team has 3 pokemon who can use dark type moves and get stab for them.

I'm having troubles with the battle subway. I can't seem to get through the 3rd round in order to go against the subway leader. Here is the team I usually use:

(take note: I don't have very useful items right now since I obviously need the battle points to get them!)
Eelektross
item: scope lens
ability: levitate
stats: attack: 139, defence: 85, sp. attack: 113, sp. defence: 94, spe: 79
crunch
flamethrower
wild charge
dragon claw
- considering they are all tms I would be open to any changes to this moveset, although i do really like wild charge.

Samurott:
ability: torrent
item: rocky helmet
stats: a: 134, def: 111, sp. attack: 122, sp. def: 98, spe: 99
swords dance
aqua tale
aqua jet
mega horn
- I'm trying to EV train it in sp. defence because i find that it screws me over the worst, but I can do better. I wouldn't mind an overhaul with this moveset either but I do want to keep aqua jet. When its low on health it can come in handy.

Volcorana:
ability: flame body
item: silverpowder
a: 74, def: 73, sp att: 142, sp. def: 117, spe: 115
quiver dance
flame thrower
hidden power (grass)
bug buzz
- I'm open to suggestion here with the moveset but I'm not planning on changing quiver dance or bug buzz.

Any suggestions will be helpful as well as EV training isuggestions, thanks!.

I'm no expert but I'd take either aqua jet or aqua tail off Samurott. It can learn something like Night Slash (needs to be bred though) or re-learn Revenge.

In terms of Unova Pokemon (Pre-National Dex), who would you say is a good user of Sunny Day? I've got a good chunk of the rest of the team set, but I'm unsure who to have as a Sunny Day/Solarbeam user.

I'm having troubles with the battle subway. I can't seem to get through the 3rd round in order to go against the subway leader. Here is the team I usually use:

(take note: I don't have very useful items right now since I obviously need the battle points to get them!)
Eelektross
item: scope lens
ability: levitate
stats: attack: 139, defence: 85, sp. attack: 113, sp. defence: 94, spe: 79
crunch
flamethrower
wild charge
dragon claw
- considering they are all tms I would be open to any changes to this moveset, although i do really like wild charge.

Samurott:
ability: torrent
item: rocky helmet
stats: a: 134, def: 111, sp. attack: 122, sp. def: 98, spe: 99
swords dance
aqua tale
aqua jet
mega horn
- I'm trying to EV train it in sp. defence because i find that it screws me over the worst, but I can do better. I wouldn't mind an overhaul with this moveset either but I do want to keep aqua jet. When its low on health it can come in handy.

Volcorana:
ability: flame body
item: silverpowder
a: 74, def: 73, sp att: 142, sp. def: 117, spe: 115
quiver dance
flame thrower
hidden power (grass)
bug buzz
- I'm open to suggestion here with the moveset but I'm not planning on changing quiver dance or bug buzz.

Any suggestions will be helpful as well as EV training isuggestions, thanks!.

Try an elektross with coil, d-claw, wild charge and filler move. I would use rest for the last move slot and make him hold chesto berry. Invest in spdef if you go with this movest. Its somewhat risky but coil is definitely elektross' best move,imo.

Nice set for sammurot. Keep aqua jet. It is useful. I would suggest waterfall since aqua tail tends to miss every time for me. Make him hold muscle band or life orb or lum berry.

Psychic >> hp grass. You can't hit fire types with any of your coverage moves. Thus, Psychic is more powerful and has better coverage. If you don't use it on ellektross, you can also consider the chesto berry + rest idea here (rest instead of psychic). if you don't I think the item leftovers will work best for volcarona.

@troper1016
A Lilligant with clorophyll ability(its not necessary though) is definitely the best.

Try an elektross with coil, d-claw, wild charge and filler move. I would use rest for the last move slot and make him hold chesto berry. Invest in spdef if you go with this movest. Its somewhat risky but coil is definitely elektross' best move,imo.

Nice set for sammurot. Keep aqua jet. It is useful. I would suggest waterfall since aqua tail tends to miss every time for me. Make him hold muscle band or life orb or lum berry.

Psychic >> hp grass. You can't hit fire types with any of your coverage moves. Thus, Psychic is more powerful and has better coverage. If you don't use it on ellektross, you can also consider the chesto berry + rest idea here (rest instead of psychic). if you don't I think the item leftovers will work best for volcarona.

Thanks for the suggestions! Coil would be very useful actually but that would mean I would have to catch another tynamo, evolve it and train it up until it learns coil :( (unless there's another way??) I thought HP grass was a good idea for bulky water and grounds but I psychic is a great move so it would probably still hit them hard. I may go for that suggestion. Good call on samurott too.

Thanks for the suggestions! Coil would be very useful actually but that would mean I would have to catch another tynamo, evolve it and train it up until it learns coil :( (unless there's another way??) I thought HP grass was a good idea for bulky water and grounds but I psychic is a great move so it would probably still hit them hard. I may go for that suggestion. Good call on samurott too.

Is it possible to relearn it using that move relearner?

Coil should be relearnable.

Eelektross doesn't learn Coil, so it can't relearn it once it's evolved from Eelektrik.

So, I'm planning to do a mono-Grass type runthrough of HG. So far I've decided on Budew, Tropius and Lotad. I'm looking for help/suggestions for the other three? Tropius and Lotad have to stay for Fly and Surf, respectively. I also don't want to use starters, legendaries or Breloom (I used Breloom on my SS team, so it would feel repetitive).

So, any help/suggestions?

So, I'm planning to do a mono-Grass type runthrough of HG. So far I've decided on Budew, Tropius and Lotad. I'm looking for help/suggestions for the other three? Tropius and Lotad have to stay for Fly and Surf, respectively. I also don't want to use starters, legendaries or Breloom (I used Breloom on my SS team, so it would feel repetitive).

So, any help/suggestions?

You haven't considered Sunkern, Tangela, Oddish, Seedot, Shroomish, Cacnea, Bellsprout, Hoppip, or Snover, have you?

Exactly so that it could be Heart Scaled doesn't it?

Nope, I learned this the hard way. The move relearner won't be able to re-teach your Poke if that evolution doesn't learn it via levelling up - I think it was my Whimsicott this happened to. I replaced Stun Spore thinking I can just relearn it after I level up and evolve, but no. :(

You haven't considered Sunkern, Tangela, Oddish, Seedot, Shroomish, Cacnea, Bellsprout, Hoppip, or Snover, have you?

Shroomish is a no because it evolves into Breloom. Snover is also a no because the Hail it brings isn't great :< Some of the others are really weak too (Sunkern). Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry don't learn any good moves without TMs/tutoring.

Cacnea and Tangela are the only ones I could see myself using. Is this all of the Grass-types?

Snover would be a must on that team. Seedot too I'd imagine. Shroomish is out of the question.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Eelektrik_(Pokémon)

Exactly so that it could be Heart Scaled doesn't it?

Seedot and Snover are both a no, unfortunately :( See my above response as to why.

And yeah, Eelektrik learns it but Eelektross doesn't, so it won't relearn it at a move tutors. Anything that evolves via a stone cannot usually learns much at move relearners.

Shroomish is a no because it evolves into Breloom. Snover is also a no because the Hail it brings isn't great :< Some of the others are really weak too (Sunkern). Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry don't learn any good moves without TMs/tutoring.

Cacnea and Tangela are the only ones I could see myself using. Is this all of the Grass-types?
Have you considered Lilleep and Paras? Up to Gen IV, minus starters, I think you mentioned/considered/dismissed all of the options.

Ooo. Lileep. Yes I might use one of those. There's also Leafeon but I'm not sure whether it would count, and it would be hard to evolve from Eevee in HG (well, impossible.

So: Budew/Tropius/Ludicolo/Cacnea/Tangela/Lileep.

That seems a good selection, if most are a little slow. I'm gonna get breeding now! Thanks for the help :p

In Training or Able to be Switched

I really need to beat red so any suggestions or tips?

Note: ALL ARE IN TRAINING all will be leveled up

Geodude
Lvl 16
Sturdy
Move set:
Mud sport
Rock Polish
Rock Throw
Magnitude

Ho-Oh
Lvl 70
Pressure
Move Set:
Sacred Fire
Punishment
Ancient Power
Safeguard

Sudowoodo
Lvl 60
Rock Head
Move Set:
Double-Edge
Hammer Arm
Sucker Punch
Strength(needed)

Zapdos
Lvl 50
Pressure
Move Set:
Ancient Power
Charge
Agility
Discharge

Vaporeon(mainly a HM user)
Lvl 70
Water Absorb
Move Set:
Surf(needed)
Waterfall(needed)
Whirlpool(needed)
Last Resort

Meganium
Lvl 65
Overgrow
Frenzy Plant
Rock Smash
Rock Climb(needed)
Aromatherapy

I will take suggestions on different pokemon needed, different moves, or even certain items although I cannot remove the (needed) moves they will get me to the top of Mt. Silver so I need them whether I like it or not.

any suggestions?
(probably alot for ho oh or zapdos I can tell)

Back
Top Bottom