• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

In Training or Able to be Switched

I really need to beat red so any suggestions or tips?

Note: ALL ARE IN TRAINING all will be leveled up

Geodude
Lvl 16
Sturdy
Move set:
Mud sport
Rock Polish
Rock Throw
Magnitude

Ho-Oh
Lvl 70
Pressure
Move Set:
Sacred Fire
Punishment
Ancient Power
Safeguard

Sudowoodo
Lvl 60
Rock Head
Move Set:
Double-Edge
Hammer Arm
Sucker Punch
Strength(needed)

Zapdos
Lvl 50
Pressure
Move Set:
Ancient Power
Charge
Agility
Discharge

Vaporeon(mainly a HM user)
Lvl 70
Water Absorb
Move Set:
Surf(needed)
Waterfall(needed)
Whirlpool(needed)
Last Resort

Meganium
Lvl 65
Overgrow
Frenzy Plant
Rock Smash
Rock Climb(needed)
Aromatherapy

I will take suggestions on different pokemon needed, different moves, or even certain items although I cannot remove the (needed) moves they will get me to the top of Mt. Silver so I need them whether I like it or not.

any suggestions?
(probably alot for ho oh or zapdos I can tell)

Hi, In HG/SS Red's pokemon are between level 80-88. Keep that in mind when you are training. I don't believe that you need waterfall or whirlpool to get to Red. You might need waterfall to get to Moltres though, but they are in two different directions. When you first enter, go to where you can use rockclimb and just go from there, and for Moltres go through the surf direction. If you are heading for red then you will have extra room on vaporeon for a good coverage like ice beam, or a move like toxic, etc. You should train geodude up, evolve it (all the way if possible but graveler will do) and make sure it has earthquake. That is mainly to deal with Pikachu. Give it stealth rock if you find it (somewhere in mt. silver, need rock climb i believe) and stone edge. Maybe explode as well for desperation times.

Geodude
Lvl 16
Sturdy
Move set:
Mud sport
Rock Polish
Rock Throw
Magnitude

Ho-Oh
Lvl 70
Pressure
Move Set:
Sacred Fire
Punishment
Ancient Power
Safeguard

Sudowoodo
Lvl 60
Rock Head
Move Set:
Double-Edge
Hammer Arm
Sucker Punch
Strength(needed)

Zapdos
Lvl 50
Pressure
Move Set:
Ancient Power
Charge
Agility
Discharge

Lvl 70
Water Absorb
Move Set:
Surf(needed)
Waterfall(needed)
Whirlpool(needed)
Last Resort

Meganium
Lvl 65
Overgrow
Frenzy Plant
Rock Smash
Rock Climb(needed)
Aromatherapy

I will take suggestions on different pokemon needed, different moves, or even certain items although I cannot remove the (needed) moves they will get me to the top of Mt. Silver so I need them whether I like it or not.

any suggestions?

Hi, In HG/SS Red's pokemon are between level 80-88. Keep that in mind when you are training. I don't believe that you need waterfall or whirlpool to get to Red. You might need waterfall to get to Moltres though, but they are in two different directions. When you first enter, go to where you can use rockclimb and just go from there, and for Moltres go through the surf direction. If you are heading for red then you will have extra room on vaporeon for a good coverage like ice beam, or a move like toxic, etc. You should train geodude up, evolve it (all the way if possible but graveler will do) and make sure it has earthquake. That is mainly to deal with Pikachu. Give it stealth rock if you find it (somewhere in mt. silver, need rock climb i believe) and stone edge. Maybe explode as well for desperation times.

alright thanks for noting the whirlpool thing...Infact I may just have to get a different pokemon than vaporeon...possible a weavile or dewgong for the ice power... or toxic moveset.
meganium is my main climber/rock breaker so he may need to stay on the team sicne I've caught moltres already (he's very weak)
already evolved and got those movesets for graveler now! thxs for that!

here's a question...was Ho-oh, Zapdos, and Sudowoodo a good choice? Ho-oh could take out his Venusaur in a flash and Sudowoodo being a fighter will care for Snorlax but is Zapdos really gonna be able to take out both Blastoise and Lapras? or will I need a back up? (hence the idea of Ice type)

Heres the Plan:
Graveler against Pikachu(with his ability he'll survive for a while!)
Graveler against Charizard(If low on health he can use his Explosion)
SWITCH TO
Ho-Oh against Venusaur(being a flying type may bring it down...)
SWITCH TO
Zapdos against Blastoise(may survive to meet with lapras)
Zapdos against Lapras(will switch during last turn of perish song if used if not just take it out)
SWITCH TO
??? against Lapras(only if Zapodos fails)
SWITCH TO
Sudowoodo against Snorlax(with fighting moves and being very fast she could bring it down!)
SWITCH TO
Meganium against Snorlax(if sudowoodo fails/ He's got brute force just incase)

also I have 2 of the healing ash so if I get low on party members I've got that to bring me back in the game!

Geodude
Lvl 16
Sturdy
Move set:
Mud sport
Rock Polish
Rock Throw
Magnitude

Ho-Oh
Lvl 70
Pressure
Move Set:
Sacred Fire
Punishment
Ancient Power
Safeguard

Sudowoodo
Lvl 60
Rock Head
Move Set:
Double-Edge
Hammer Arm
Sucker Punch
Strength(needed)

Zapdos
Lvl 50
Pressure
Move Set:
Ancient Power
Charge
Agility
Discharge

Lvl 70
Water Absorb
Move Set:
Surf(needed)
Waterfall(needed)
Whirlpool(needed)
Last Resort

Meganium
Lvl 65
Overgrow
Frenzy Plant
Rock Smash
Rock Climb(needed)
Aromatherapy

any suggestions?

here's a question...was Ho-oh, Zapdos, and Sudowoodo a good choice? Ho-oh could take out his Venusaur in a flash and Sudowoodo being a fighter will care for Snorlax but is Zapdos really gonna be able to take out both Blastoise and Lapras? or will I need a back up? (hence the idea of Ice type)

Heres the Plan:
Graveler against Pikachu(with his ability he'll survive for a while!)
Graveler against Charizard(If low on health he can use his Explosion)
SWITCH TO
Ho-Oh against Venusaur(being a flying type may bring it down...)
SWITCH TO
Zapdos against Blastoise(may survive to meet with lapras)
Zapdos against Lapras(will switch during last turn of perish song if used if not just take it out)
SWITCH TO
??? against Lapras(only if Zapodos fails)
SWITCH TO
Sudowoodo against Snorlax(with fighting moves and being very fast she could bring it down!)
SWITCH TO
Meganium against Snorlax(if sudowoodo fails/ He's got brute force just incase)

also I have 2 of the healing ash so if I get low on party members I've got that to bring me back in the game!

You should put down stealth rock right at the beginning because it will do some damage to lapras and charizard. Also, I guess those 3 are fine, but i rarely battle with them. All 3 usually end up in my box. When you level up all 3 some more, maybe you will be lucky and get better moves for them. You also have Maganium to help with blastoise and lapras. Depending on its level it should take down both of them with 2 frenzie plants each or around that. The problem of course is the ice moves though... plus frenzie plant makes you skip a turn which can be dangerous. I'd try switching Frenzie plant for something else if possible. See if you can find energy ball. If not I guess it will do.

hey, team looks good to me, just a tad underlevelled. but a quick note about the sacred ash; i don't think you can use it in-battle, so you may want a backup plan, like revival herbs, or some max revives, if you have any.

Best Heart Gold Team Ever?

I'm new to this, so dont bash me if its no good, just tell me where to improve. :)

Now, as i have Heart Gold and Soul Silver, it will be no problem putting my team together. Though I'd much rather play Soul Silver, i can't fly anywhere in the Kanto region after I've unlocked it. Something wrong with

I'm starting Heart Gold today, so I have plenty of time to change it up.

Typhlosion
Feraligatr
Meganium
Snorlax
Ampharos
Umbreon

Thoughts? Comments? Improvements?

Re: Best Heart Gold Team Ever?

This is a pretty balanced team. If you could, would you mind explaining what you are looking for in a team? High defense? Balanced stats?

Secondly, (this is just a suggestion, you don't have to take my advice) I would recommend fitting a Flying type Pokemon in there somewhere (perhaps in place of Ampharos, because if you keep all of the starters, they all counter one another's weaknesses. A Flying type would be able to counter the Snorlax's speed in most cases).

And that's about it for now. You're off to a good start :D

If you got the three starters, you're pretty much good to go. Just add a few more diverse types in your team, Psychic and Dark preferrably since they're quite useful.

In black I'm getting a tepig, ferroseed, joltick,Tympole (which will not be changed) and i need two others, i was thinking woobat and scraggy, any recommendations?

Neither of those two. Scraggy's type clashes with your tepig and woobat is rubbish. Deerling could work or Sewaddle. Then a flying type whichever is available late in your game.

I'd replace Amphros with a Jolteon if you must have an electric type. You're pretty well balanced, though.

You're gonna need a pseudo-legendary (Dragonite or Tyranitar) at your disposal, and you don't need two walls, so I suggest replacing Umbreon. Be sure your Ampharos has Agility to fix its speed.

Getting Vullaby is a pretty bad idea. You get it very late in the game and it has very poor offensive capabilities.

Building up my HG Team.

Good Evening, folks. My first post on the forums. Woot.

Any ways, the main reason I'm dropping a post into this thread is quite simply to ask the opinions of people as to what I could add to my Heart Gold team in order to round it out. I'm nearing the 8th Gym with a fairly powerful team and just one slot empty and a couple slots I can swap out. Below will be listed my team, their current level as well as what I'm debating on adding into the roster. If I could get my hands on a Shrifty or Cacturne I'd be set, but as it stands this is what I have.

My Team:
-Typhlosion ~ Level 36 [Locked in]
-Gengar ~ Level 37 [Locked in]
-Seadra ~ Level 37 [Locked in]
-Marowak ~ Level 37 [Swapable slot]
-Electrode ~ Level 36 [Swapable Slot]
-Open slot

Possible Team members:
-Jolteon
-Umbreon
-Nidoking
-Yanmega
-Hitmonlee
-Primeape
-Sudowoodo
-Mr.Mime
-Hypno
-Venusaur
-Crobat
-Victorybell
-Heracross
-Beedrill
-Steelix
-Pinsir
-Mamoswine

But really, any suggestions would be quite welcome.

Mod Edit: @Angad @Scary Fish @Thundagere @Heathcliff Huxtable - Can one of you merge this with the In-game team thread please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Building up my HG Team.

The 8th gym is Clair, so I'm recommending any pokemon that isn't Dragon, but can learn dragon-type moves. That way, you don't have any weakness yourself.

Clair's Kingdra is deadly - its only weakness is dragon. Your Seadra might not hold for long if her Kingdra uses Dragon Pulse. If none of your other pokemon knows Dragon-type moves, I'd suggest you take Venusaur - it would probably hold up for a number of turns and give neutral damage.

If you're planning to lock in a member that would fight with you to the league, then I'd suggest Heracross or Yanmega. You'd get through Will and Karen easily with either of them (in the case of Karen, your other team mates will provide good back-up). If you take Yanmega, which can also learn flying-type moves, you'd get through Bruno easily as well. IF you want to get through Koga easily as well, then as an all-in-one solution, I would like to suggest a Butterfree. I know Butterfree is pretty weak as a standard Bug/Flying pokemon, but it gains levels quickly and learns a lot. It also has good speed. You can teach Butterfree a Flying-type move, a Bug-type move, and even Psychic-type moves. The only problem would be PP usage, but if you rotate your members well, then it shouldn't be a big worry.

Thanks for the advice. Both for Clair and the Elite four. But who do you suggest dropping to pick up Venasaur and Yanmega?

Electrode will be useful against Karen's Murkrow and most of Lance's team and it has a lot higher speed than Marowak. So I'd put Venasaur in the open slot and replace Marowak with Yanmega.

Back
Top Bottom