• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: Building up my HG Team.

The 8th gym is Clair, so I'm recommending any pokemon that isn't Dragon, but can learn dragon-type moves. That way, you don't have any weakness yourself.

Clair's Kingdra is deadly - its only weakness is dragon. Your Seadra might not hold for long if her Kingdra uses Dragon Pulse. If none of your other pokemon knows Dragon-type moves, I'd suggest you take Venusaur - it would probably hold up for a number of turns and give neutral damage.

If you're planning to lock in a member that would fight with you to the league, then I'd suggest Heracross or Yanmega. You'd get through Will and Karen easily with either of them (in the case of Karen, your other team mates will provide good back-up). If you take Yanmega, which can also learn flying-type moves, you'd get through Bruno easily as well. IF you want to get through Koga easily as well, then as an all-in-one solution, I would like to suggest a Butterfree. I know Butterfree is pretty weak as a standard Bug/Flying pokemon, but it gains levels quickly and learns a lot. It also has good speed. You can teach Butterfree a Flying-type move, a Bug-type move, and even Psychic-type moves. The only problem would be PP usage, but if you rotate your members well, then it shouldn't be a big worry.

yo, seadra is a pure water type. it takes neutral damage from dragon pulse.

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Neutral damage that will still probably kill it.

Hence the probably........

Jeez

Last edited:

So I've been rolling up and down Route 35 for ten+ hours. I've found several Yanma but none with speedboost. While I'm not a big fan of the meta game I can recognize when one ability is better than another.

So I've been rolling up and down Route 35 for ten+ hours. I've found several Yanma but none with speedboost. While I'm not a big fan of the meta game I can recognize when one ability is better than another.

tinted lenses >> speed boost.

So I've updated my team slightly and I've got a new issue that I'm struggling with. Water types. In HG/SS there are so many good water types I just can't decide which one to put on my team, since they can all really fit. The original plan was to take a Kingdra, but since getting access to Dragonscales pre-national is difficult I'm keeping my options open.

I try not to stack pokemon that share multiple weakness if I can help it. I also try to cover as many weaknesses as possible while still being useful. I usually have this problem at this point in the game. There are just too many good pokemon for me to choose from and it often results in me just starting over with a different starter in order to free up some space on my team. Like taking the water starter would free up a space for sure.

At the moment it really boils down to five water types that I'm torn between: Octillery, Tentacruel, Cloyster, Gyarados, and Mantine. But if I could have Kingdra this would be a non-issue.

And for those wondering, my team looks like this:

Typhlosion ~ Level 41
Gengar ~ Level 42
Umbreon ~ Level 35
Open Slot
Open Slot
Open Slot

Last edited:

So I've updated my team slightly and I've got a new issue that I'm struggling with. Water types. In HG/SS there are so many good water types I just can't decide which one to put on my team, since they can all really fit. The original plan was to take a Kingdra, but since getting access to Dragonscales pre-national is difficult I'm keeping my options open.

I try not to stack pokemon that share multiple weakness if I can help it. I also try to cover as many weaknesses as possible while still being useful. I usually have this problem at this point in the game. There are just too many good pokemon for me to choose from and it often results in me just starting over with a different starter in order to free up some space on my team. Like taking the water starter would free up a space for sure.

At the moment it really boils down to five water types that I'm torn between: Octillery, Tentacruel, Cloyster, Gyarados, and Mantine. But if I could have Kingdra this would be a non-issue.

Typhlosion ~ Level 41
Gengar ~ Level 42
Umbreon ~ Level 35
Open Slot
Open Slot
Open Slot

If it were me I'd choose gyrados. You have awesome special attackers with typhlosion and gengar, plus a defensive umbreon (you probably don't want to make this an attacking pokemon especially when you get to battle frontier). Gyrados is a very bulky physical attacker with decent special defences and intimidate. Give it dragon dance, waterfall, earthquake, and whatever (ice fang is a standard I believe) and you have a pokemon that can destroy most of anything if it gets to set up.

Typhlosion ~ Level 41
Gengar ~ Level 42
Umbreon ~ Level 35
Open Slot
Open Slot
Open Slot

Go for gyarados as AshK said or i think you will have access to golduck who can learn quite a few hms as well.

HG first time Elite Four team

So this is the team I want to run after some unsuccessful attempts.

Magneton, Meganium, Gyrados, Kadabra, Ho-Oh and Gengar. I feel like thats a pretty balanced team, I don't have much trouble with the Elite Four, it's the Champion thats being a thorn in my side.

I was using Ampharos instead of Magneton before.

Re: HG first time Elite Four team

a dd gyara with ice fang messes up lance till he is beyond recognition.

Re: HG first time Elite Four team

@Vynidual Next time you post a team for in-game purposes, please use the In-Game Teams thread.

B/W Teams?

The team I run is...

Hydreigon
Dragon/Dark
Ablility: Levitate
Crunch
Dragon Pulse
Draco Meteor
Outrage

Charizard
Fire/Flying
Ability: Blaze
Fly
Sky Drop
Blast Burn
Flamethrower

Golurk
Ghost/Ground
Ability: Iron Fist
Shadow Ball
Earthquake
Mega Punch
Shadow Punch

Metagross
Steel/Psychic
Ability: Clear Body
Meteor Mash
Flash Cannon
Psychic
Toxic

Luxray
Electric
Ability: Intimidate
Wild Charge
Thunder Fang
Return
Thunderbolt

Poliwrath
Water/Fighting
Ability: Water Absorb
Hydro Pump
Surf
Dyamicpunch
Brick Break

What do you think? Comments?

MOD EDIT: Moved to Battle Centre. Merge with In-game team thread requested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: B/W Teams?

That's a pretty good team you got there. Nice variety, nice coverage. I think that's pretty good. Though, I would recommend something else than Return for Luxray. It doesn't matter if its friendliness is high, but still.

Re: B/W Teams?

The last thing I want to do is to offend you, but some of your movesets need some major overhauls.

Hydreigon
Dragon/Dark
Ablility: Levitate
Crunch
Dragon Pulse
Draco Meteor
Outrage

Here, there's no point in having three different Dragon-type moves. Imagine if you go against a Steel type, it will resist both Crunch and any of your Dragon-type moves. I suggest that you teach Flamethrower and Focus Blast and replace them for Outrage and Draco Meteor, since Hydreigon is mostly a Special attacker.

Luxray
Electric
Ability: Intimidate
Wild Charge
Thunder Fang
Return
Thunderbolt

The same here. Three different Electric-type moves is unnecessary. Imagine you go against a Rock type, which is very commonly paired with the Ground type. You would do not very effective damage with Return, and no damage at all with any of the Electric moves. I'd teach it Crunch and Flame Charge, or Thunder Wave to paralyze some faster opponents.

The Pokémon you're using are very good though!

Golurk
Ghost/Ground
Ability: Iron Fist
Shadow Ball
Earthquake
Mega Punch
Shadow Punch

For your Golurk, I suggest you get rid of Shadow Ball and replace it with Hammer Arm. Mega Punch can be replaced with something else since, yes, it may be boosted by Iron Fist, it does not have any coverage whatsoever. I suggest you replace it with Stone Edge which will greatly help in terms of coverage.

@Destiny Queen...
Thank you very much. I spent a pretty decent amount of time figuring out everything I needed to cover (as far as types go, that is). Often times, I will use Return as something of a "filler move" if you will. What would you suggest in place of it?

@Anser...
I am not offended at all. I didn't post my team on here to brag, merely to get other peoples' takes on my roster. You make a very interesting point. I figured I could just cover up my team's weaknesses with other Pokemon. For example, if somebody sends out a Steel-type Pokemon, I could send my Charizard out, and so on. With my Hydreigon, I like the idea of teaching it Flamethrower, but I don't have the TM for Focus Blast. Any idea of where to find it, or possibly another move in place of it? As for my Luxray, I'm thinking I should probably ax the moves Thunderbolt and Return, seeing as it's more of an Attacker (as opposed to a Special Attacker). Thank you very much for the tips.

@Affinity...
Like I said to Destiny Queen (albeit in a different example), Mega Punch is simply a "filler move". I have it because it's a semi-decent move, and it's powered up by Iron Fist (double whammy for a "filler" in my opinion). Stone Edge is a good idea, seeing as I really have nothing in the Rock-type department. I'm very appreciative of the advice, so thank you.

Just out of curiosity, what do all of you run?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom