• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: Stuck on Movesets? [INGAME ONLY]

I could use some help with my Haxorus's moveset.

I know I want:
Dragon Claw
Earthquake

I don't know what to use for the last 2. I usually don't user stat booster moves (like swords dance), especially because his attack is already so high. And I don't like moves with low accuracy (so I never use Hydro Pump, Thunder, Blizzard, etc.) And I want his moveset to be completely physical, no special attacks. I was thinking about adding slash, but I don't know.

@toonytown

HAXORUS

This guy is pretty freakin overused, I personally don't know why. The only stat which is really outstanding is his enormous 147 base attack! That's more than Excadrill! It's defences at 76/90/70 really aren't anything to boast about, and his speed is trolled by Hydreigon, at 98, one more than Haxy. It appears much earlier that the other dragon types in the game, and doesn't fully evolve until level 48, by that time, you'd probably be at the Elite four, if not, beaten them already.

Let's talk about the abilities, Mold Breaker. This disables the use of abilities. This can be beneficial in cases such as if the opponent has something like Levitate or especially the Mummy ability, famously gained by CoFAGrigus. It's other ability, Rivalry, raises the attack stat if the opponent is of the same gender. I personally don't like this ability, because when you're up against a pokemon that has a disadvantage to you, only some of the time, will you be able to do good damage to them, and knowing you don't want any stat boosting moves, e.g. Dragon Dance, it becomes even more useless. :(

Grade - C+ (Not bad, but not amazing either)

Obviously, you'd want to make use of Haxy's incredible Physical Attack stat, so here's a movement that I think fits your standards...

Haxorus @ Ghost/Bug Gem
Ability - Mold Breaker
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Shadow Claw/X Scissor

This set is basically a standard in game set, apart from Dragon/Swords Dance. In replacement of that, I have put in Rock Slide for QuakeEdge coverage. Give it the Bug or Ghost gem to give it some extra power, and if you choose Shadow Claw, it may get a 4x boost if it gets a critical hit. You wanted Earthquake and Dragon Claw, and I dont disagree with that, they're the best attacking moves he will learn. I wouldn't recommend Slash, because you have Shadow Claw, which has the same power and crit ratio, but SC is actually super effective against something!

If that doesn't work out for you, you could get an Eviolite Fraxure to give it some extra bulk, with the moves...

-Dragon Dance (I know you don't like it, but it really helps its mediocre speed)/Payback
-Dragon Claw
-Return
-X Scizzor

Hope this helped and taught you a few things about Haxy.

~Maffoo

I like the moveset :) Thank you.

And the only reason I'm using Haxorus is because I've never used one of the pseudo-legendaries on my team before. And the only dragon type I've used before is Altaria.

Trying to figure out my Scrafty's Moveset.

-Hi Jump Kick
-Crunch

But what else? There's many options, but I can't make up my mind.

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

I got White last week, and I'm about to start E4 grinding. Just wanted to show off my team and see what you guys think of it.

Spr_5b_503.png

Oscar (Samurott)
Level 45
Torrent
~Strength
~Focus Energy
~Surf
~Aqua Tail

Spr_5b_534.png

The Heavy (Conkeldurr)
Level 45
Guts
~Bulk Up
~Rock Slide
~Chip Away
~Hammer Arm

Spr_5b_547.png

Fluffee (Whimsicott)
Level 46
Prankster
~Growth
~Energy Ball
~Cotton Guard
~Giga Drain

Spr_5b_553.png

Diego (Krookodile)
Level 44
Moxie
~Sand Attack
~Swagger
~Sand Tomb
~Crunch
(I plan to get rid of Sand Tomb in place of Earthquake ASAP)

Spr_5b_596.png

Zeus (Galvantula)
Level 45
CompoundEyes
~Slash
~Electroweb
~X-Scissor
~Signal Beam

Spr_5b_609.png

Ruby (Chandelure)
Level 44
Flash Fire
~Shadow Ball
~Will-O-Wisp
~Flame Burst
~Imprison

I got White last week, and I'm about to start E4 grinding. Just wanted to show off my team and see what you guys think of it.

Spr_5b_503.png

Oscar (Samurott)
Level 45
Torrent
~Strength
~Focus Energy
~Surf
~Aqua Tail

Spr_5b_534.png

The Heavy (Conkeldurr)
Level 45
Guts
~Bulk Up
~Rock Slide
~Chip Away
~Hammer Arm

Spr_5b_547.png

Fluffee (Whimsicott)
Level 46
Prankster
~Growth
~Energy Ball
~Cotton Guard
~Giga Drain

Spr_5b_553.png

Diego (Krookodile)
Level 44
Moxie
~Sand Attack
~Swagger
~Sand Tomb
~Crunch
(I plan to get rid of Sand Tomb in place of Earthquake ASAP)

Spr_5b_596.png

Zeus (Galvantula)
Level 45
CompoundEyes
~Slash
~Electroweb
~X-Scissor
~Signal Beam

Spr_5b_609.png

Ruby (Chandelure)
Level 44
Flash Fire
~Shadow Ball
~Will-O-Wisp
~Flame Burst
~Imprison

Looks good, but a few things are a bit weird...

Why does Oscar know Strength and Focus Energy? I say replace Strength with something else, like *screams* MEGAHORN. Woo! Yeah. Just wanted to get that out of my system.

Looks good. I think though you should replace Bulk Up or Chip Away with another Fighting Type Move.

Sand Attack? lolwut?

Awesome. Everything looks great here.

I say replace Imprison. It's not that good of a move, trust me.

Oh yeah, one more thing...

WHY NO BUIZEL!?!

I like the moveset :) Thank you.

And the only reason I'm using Haxorus is because I've never used one of the pseudo-legendaries on my team before. And the only dragon type I've used before is Altaria.
@toonytown; Haxorus isn't a pseudo legend. And @Maffoo; isn't telling you anything new, it's nothing that you can't find on Smogon. Although Smogon is focussed on the competitive side of the game, it will point you in the right direction for actual movesets that give you coverage.

Trying to figure out my Scrafty's Moveset.

-Hi Jump Kick
-Crunch

But what else? There's many options, but I can't make up my mind.
Bulk Up for sure. Dragon Tail maybe?

Looks good, but a few things are a bit weird...

Why does Oscar know Strength and Focus Energy? I say replace Strength with something else, like *screams* MEGAHORN. Woo! Yeah. Just wanted to get that out of my system.

Looks good. I think though you should replace Bulk Up or Chip Away with another Fighting Type Move.

Sand Attack? lolwut?

Awesome. Everything looks great here.

I say replace Imprison. It's not that good of a move, trust me.

Oh yeah, one more thing...

WHY NO BUIZEL!?!

It's an in-game team, and I wanted to have a Strength user on my team for when I need Strength...I plan to teach him Megahorn.

And I have every intention of getting rid of Imprison. It's far too situational to be useful.

What's a good in-game moveset for Ampharos? I won't be using mine, I just want to level it up, and give it a good moveset. Also, Thunder Wave is a move I want it to know, so keep that in mind.

What's a good in-game moveset for Ampharos? I won't be using mine, I just want to level it up, and give it a good moveset. Also, Thunder Wave is a move I want it to know, so keep that in mind.

I use an Ampharos every time I play HG/SS, and this is the move set I prefer:

- Signal Beam
- Discharge
- Light Screen
- Cotton Spore

Signal Beam completely demolishes Psychic types, while Discharge is excellent against any Water type that isn't dual Water/Ground. Both moves utilize Ampharos's awesome Special Attack. Light Screen protects the rest of the team for five turns and Cotton Spore reduces the opponents' Speed stat. It does have 85% accuracy though. :/

Can someone please rate this team? I'm at the Elite Four on Sapphire.

306.png

Aggron
Level: 42
Moves: Metal Claw, Iron Tail, Earthquake, Headbutt
Ability: Sturdy
Item: None
Nature Impish

260.png

Swampert
Level: 45
Moves: Muddy Water, Surf, Protect, Mud Shot
Ability: Torrent
Item: Sea Incense
Nature: Rash

272.png

Ludicolo
Level: 52
Moves: Giga Drain, Rain Dance, Fake Out, Hydro Pump
Ability: Rain Dish
Nature: Modest

376.png

Metagross
Level: 53
Moves: Rock Smash, Psychic, Meteor Mash, [COLOR="#05848"]Pursuit[/COLOR]
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Hasty

1. Weavile - Item: Razor Claw
Moves: Blizzard, Night Slash, Ice Punch, Low Kick
Attack:300
Defense:190
Sp. Atk:150
Sp. Def:230
Speed:310
Nature: Serious

2. Nidoking - Item: Life Orb
Moves: Earth Power, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Ice Beam
Attack: 223
Defense: 211
Sp. Atk: 219
Sp. Def: 200
Speed: 181
Nature: Brave

3. Salamence - Item: None
Moves: Flamethrower, Draco Meteor, Dragon Claw, Fly
Attack: 297
Defense: 220
Sp. Atk: 280
Sp. Def: 220
Speed: 286
Nature: Timid

4. Charizard - Item: Flame Plate
Moves: Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Focus Blast, Aerial Ace
Attack: 214
Defense: 185
Sp. Atk: 279
Sp. Def: 206
Speed: 231
Nature: Mild

5. Feraligatr - Item: None
Moves: Superpower, Ice Fang, Waterfall, Surf
Attack: 261
Defense: 238
Sp. Atk: 180
Sp. Def: 209
Speed: 219
Nature: Careful

6. Jolteon - Item: None
Moves: Charge Beam, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power, Shadow Ball
Attack: 169
Defense: 156
Sp. Atk: 270
Sp. Def: 234
Speed: 345
Nature: Hasty

EDIT: I am curious if I should add Gengar and/or Scizor to the team. First of all, should I allow one or both (or neither) on my team...and who should I replace on my team?

Can someone respond to this please?!

Last edited:

I use an Ampharos every time I play HG/SS, and this is the move set I prefer:

- Signal Beam
- Discharge
- Light Screen
- Cotton Spore

Signal Beam completely demolishes Psychic types, while Discharge is excellent against any Water type that isn't dual Water/Ground. Both moves utilize Ampharos's awesome Special Attack. Light Screen protects the rest of the team for five turns and Cotton Spore reduces the opponents' Speed stat. It does have 85% accuracy though. :/

Nice moveset, but you forgot the part where I said I want Thunder Wave apart of the moveset.

Cotton Spore does the same job that T-Wave does, only not as well... @X-Strike;
'

I know that, but I want to use Thunder Wave. Is that a problem?

Anyway, to get back to on-topic, I'd like a moveset, for Ampharos. I will not be using her, and Thunder Wave must be apart of the set. I appreciate all suggestions.

???

Use the set that has already been suggested, remove Cotton Spore, keep Thunder Wave.... I don't see the problem.

???

Use the set that has already been suggested, remove Cotton Spore, keep Thunder Wave.... I don't see the problem.

I don't like Light Screen, what should it be replaced with? Forgot to mention that, I apologize.

I don't like Light Screen, what should it be replaced with? Forgot to mention that, I apologize.

Well, on my Amphy, I ran
Discharge
T-Wave
Power Gem
Signal Beam
and I think I gave it Wise Glasses

Back
Top Bottom