• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

So far in my Black2 team I have:

Dewott Lv 21, female
Servine Lv 21, female
Reilly/Riolu Lv 20, male

I'm hoping to get a vullaby/mandibuzz, an eelektross, or an archeops. I go mostly for looks rather than battling stats, but it's still important.

New team for Black 2... Moveset and held item advice thoroughly welcomed and appreciated!

Serperior ♂
Ability: Overgrow, Nature: Modest, Item: Big Root
Moves: Giga Drain, Dragon Pulse, Leech Seed, Toxic

Crustle ♂
Ability: Shell Armor, Nature: Adamant, Item: Sharp Beak / Flying Gem
Moves: X-Scissor, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Aerial Ace

Galvantula ♂
Ability: Compoundeyes, Nature: Modest, Item: Miracle Seed / Grass Gem
Moves: Bug Buzz, Thunder, Energy Ball, Thunder Wave

Jellicent ♂
Ability: Cursed Body, Nature: Modest, Item: NeverMeltIce / Ice Gem
Moves: Surf, Hex, Ice Beam, Toxic

Carracosta ♂
Ability: Solid Rock, Nature: Adamant, Item: Quick Claw
Moves: Waterfall, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Aqua Jet

Archeops ♂
Ability: Defeatist, Nature: Jolly, Item: Dragon Fang / Dragon Gem
Moves: Stone Edge, Fly, Earthquake, Dragon Claw

New team for Black 2... Moveset and held item advice thoroughly welcomed and appreciated!

Serperior ♂
Ability: Overgrow, Nature: Modest, Item: Big Root
Moves: Giga Drain, Dragon Pulse, Leech Seed, Toxic

Crustle ♂
Ability: Shell Armor, Nature: Adamant, Item: Sharp Beak / Flying Gem
Moves: X-Scissor, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Aerial Ace

Galvantula ♂
Ability: Compoundeyes, Nature: Modest, Item: Miracle Seed / Grass Gem
Moves: Bug Buzz, Thunder, Energy Ball, Thunder Wave

Jellicent ♂
Ability: Cursed Body, Nature: Modest, Item: NeverMeltIce / Ice Gem
Moves: Surf, Hex, Ice Beam, Toxic

Carracosta ♂
Ability: Solid Rock, Nature: Adamant, Item: Quick Claw
Moves: Waterfall, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Aqua Jet

Archeops ♂
Ability: Defeatist, Nature: Jolly, Item: Dragon Fang / Dragon Gem
Moves: Stone Edge, Fly, Earthquake, Dragon Claw

Personally, I wouldn't use 2 bugs and 3 rocks, but to each their own, so I'll just review the pokemon.

Serperior: Looks good

Crustle: Don't really see why it has Aerial Ace, but aside from that, it's okay.

Galvantula: Good, but I would suggest holding a Magnet instead because it has the only Electric on the team, so you'll want Thunder to pack as much punch as possible.

Jellicent: Seems okay, but I would suggest getting Shadow Ball instead of Hex, because with Hex, you'll always have to waste a turn setting up Toxic when Shadow Ball would be ready to go. And since Serperior already has Toxic, I would suggest getting Psychic instead because your team has no Psychic power.

Carracosta: Not really much to say. It's okay.

Archeops: The same

Hope this helps some :)

So far in my Black2 team I have:

Dewott Lv 21, female
Servine Lv 21, female
Reilly/Riolu Lv 20, male

I'm hoping to get a vullaby/mandibuzz, an eelektross, or an archeops. I go mostly for looks rather than battling stats, but it's still important.

Unless you plan on trading one over, you can't get Archeops in BW2 until post-game. Eelektross is a good pick.

My team for SoulSilver, Advice for move pools welcome

Pidgeot lvl 57 (Tailwind,Roost,Fly,Wing Attack)

Ampharos lvl 62 (Discharge,Thunder Punch,Power Gem,Flash)

Espeon lvl 56 (Psybeam, Future Sight,Bite,Last Resort)

Ninetales lvl 57 (Flamethrower,Fire Blast,Nasty Plot,Confuse Ray)

Tyranitar lvl 56 (Stone Edge,Crunch,Earthquake,Rock Slide)

Seadra lvl 57 (Hydro Pump,Brine,Dragon Dance,Dragon Pulse)

Last edited:

One problem I see is that each one has 2 damaging moves of their type.

Pidgeot: I would replace Wing Attack with U-Turn (TM89), or possibly Feather Dance which lowers the opponents attack by two stages.

Ampharos: Its base attack stat is 40 less than its Sp. Atk, so I would drop Thunder Punch.

Espeon: it learns Psychic at level 64, so when that move comes, replace Psybeam. Also, if you're trying to counter ghost types with Bite, replace it with Shadow Ball which can be learned via TM30.

Ninetales: its attack stats aren't great, so Flamethrower won't do much damage without proper training and/or holding an item. You do have Nasty plot which is good (keep it), but I still don't think that is enough for F-Thrower. I would drop Flamethrower.

Tyranitar: Tyranitar is naturally slow, so instead of Crunch, have it replaced with Payback which doubles in damage when used after the target makes its move. be careful not to use it if Trick Room or Pidgeot's Tailwind is still active. I would also drop Rock Slide as it does less damage than Edge.

Seadra: Unless you're planning to evolve Seadra, I would drop Dragon Dance because it raises Attack, which is worse for Seadra than its Sp. atk. In fact, none of its damaging moves are physical which makes D-D even more pointless. In its place, if you're worried about its speed, teach it Agility. I would also drop either Pump, or Brine (more preferably Brine) for Surf.

hope this helps.

so for my team when i go through black 2 again i have 3 members picked out

oshawott, growlithe and mareep for when I start. I also plan to pick up a sandile

who should/could i get to cover the other two spots? I got my eyes on zorua and solosis

What I always do is trade eggs to my new accounts once I beat Cheren and get the C-gear, then hatch them and trade them back to my black and EV train them, then trade them back and use them so they're powerful and i don't waste time training pokemon that are doomed to fail from the start.

Originally posted by Typhlosionisafirebadger
so for my team when i go through black 2 again i have 3 members picked out

oshawott, growlithe and mareep for when I start. I also plan to pick up a sandile

who should/could i get to cover the other two spots? I got my eyes on zorua and solosis

For a start, make sure they have good natures! You might consider training a grass type and a dragon or bug type to cover your team's weaknesses. Finally, EV train them from the start!

ahh okay for making sure they have good natures, would calm/hasty/jolly be good?

I didn't know about EV training my first time around in Black 2 and I've been trying it now with some of the pokemon I have (Jolteon, Garchomp, Blastoise and Scrafty)

I'd like to train a dragon type like Axew I think, and as for a bug type maybe Joltik or Venipede

One problem I see is that each one has 2 damaging moves of their type.

Pidgeot: I would replace Wing Attack with U-Turn (TM89), or possibly Feather Dance which lowers the opponents attack by two stages.

Ampharos: Its base attack stat is 40 less than its Sp. Atk, so I would drop Thunder Punch.

Espeon: it learns Psychic at level 64, so when that move comes, replace Psybeam. Also, if you're trying to counter ghost types with Bite, replace it with Shadow Ball which can be learned via TM30.

Ninetales: its attack stats aren't great, so Flamethrower won't do much damage without proper training and/or holding an item. You do have Nasty plot which is good (keep it), but I still don't think that is enough for F-Thrower. I would drop Flamethrower.

Tyranitar: Tyranitar is naturally slow, so instead of Crunch, have it replaced with Payback which doubles in damage when used after the target makes its move. be careful not to use it if Trick Room or Pidgeot's Tailwind is still active. I would also drop Rock Slide as it does less damage than Edge.

Seadra: Unless you're planning to evolve Seadra, I would drop Dragon Dance because it raises Attack, which is worse for Seadra than its Sp. atk. In fact, none of its damaging moves are physical which makes D-D even more pointless. In its place, if you're worried about its speed, teach it Agility. I would also drop either Pump, or Brine (more preferably Brine) for Surf.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, but which move should I replace Falmethrower with? Also Ninetails is holding a charcoal.

I dropped Thunderpunch and taught Ampharos signal beam.

A side note I am planning to evolve Seadra into a Kingdra.

For Tyranitar any suggestions to replace rock slide with?

And Thanks for the help :)

Originally Posted by Typhlosionisafirebadger:
ahh okay for making sure they have good natures, would calm/hasty/jolly be good?

I didn't know about EV training my first time around in Black 2 and I've been trying it now with some of the pokemon I have (Jolteon, Garchomp, Blastoise and Scrafty)

I'd like to train a dragon type like Axew I think, and as for a bug type maybe Joltik or Venipede

Read up on natures and EVs on bulbapedia's pages for each of them.
Axew is a great choice! Try adamant or jolly nature with 252attack, 252speed Evs.

I'd recommend Joltik with timid nature and 252sp.attack, 252speed EVs.

Choose Physical or Special focus for Growlithe and Oshawott because they can go either way.

Go with adamant Sandile with 252attack and whatever else you want.

Mareep should go special with a modest nature and 252sp.attack and 252speed EVs.

And I like your username!

Haha thanks! I managed to luck out last time with good natures for special focus on growlithe and oshawott so I think I can do the same thing again

I'm glad you like my username too! Typhlosion is one of (if not my favorite) pokemon, next to Quagsire

Haha thanks! I managed to luck out last time with good natures for special focus on growlithe and oshawott so I think I can do the same thing again

I'm glad you like my username too! Typhlosion is one of (if not my favorite) pokemon, next to Quagsire

So you like Gen II? So do I: my favorites are Slowking and Wobbuffet (guess my favorite type)!
Gen II is one of the coolest in my opinion, with nice pokemon like Quagsire and Wobbuffet.

And could you do me a favor and go and read my team on page 97 and tell me what you think of it?

So you like Gen II? So do I: my favorites are Slowking and Wobbuffet (guess my favorite type)!
Gen II is one of the coolest in my opinion, with nice pokemon like Quagsire and Wobbuffet.

And could you do me a favor and go and read my team on page 97 and tell me what you think of it?

haha psychic is your favorite type? :p

Yeah I like gen II and it was the last version I actually played before black, so I missed out on QUITE a bit. My friend has helped me acclimate and stuff but I'm still learning as I go along.

My thoughts on your team here

This is my team in Black 2 Version, which I just entered the hall of fame with:
First off, strong psychic themed team. A few moves I wasn't sure about but overall a strong group. I'll start with Espeon
-Espeon Lv.62 (Magic Bounce)with Focus Sash
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Morning Sun
Swift(needs change)

nice strong attack here, and with the focus, coupled with the DW ability Magic Bounce makes Espeon a good start/threat to take out the more problematic pokemon I've dealt with since playing the new games (looking at you mandibuzz taunting me all the time). The prevention of status effects coupled with two attacks, as Shadow Ball is good for nailing ghost types. I'd move swift to something like grass knot or maybe signal beam? signal beam has a similar damage output but it can cover other psychic types and those pesky pesky dark types that show

-Metagross Lv.62 (Clear Body)with Wide Lens
Meteor Mash
Zen Headbutt
Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Metagross is a #*)#) to deal with in the battle subway, and just in general for me, especially if it has the ability Clear Body. Looking at our team, I"m guessing Metagross is the centerpiece right? It has four hella strong attacks and seems like it'd be a sweeper. Only one i'm iffy on is bullet punch. Is it like your espeon and how it has swift?
-Gothitelle Lv.62 (Frisk)with Expert Belt
Psyshock
Thunderbolt
Grass Knot
Hidden Power(fire)
Gothitelle is hella diverse and I see you already HAVE grass knot on her so it'd be redundant to put it on Espeon so I'd stick with signal beam for it. You cover a lot of areas and make Gothitelle a bit of a surprise attacker (to me at least, idk about any of the hardcore battler dudes around these parts) and this trend seems to continue with your team as I get to
-Slowking Lv.62 (Oblivious)with Leftovers
Psychic
Surf
Flamethrower
Trick Room
Oblivious is a good ability to have, no doubt about it, and you've got three strong attacks with a move that can be a game changer (from what i've seen) in the right circumstances and he seems to be pretty boss as is IMO. I like that you have flamethrower AND surf to throw people off and keep grass types wary
-Sigilyph Lv.62 (Magic Gaurd) with Sitrus Berry
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Flash Cannon
Roost
Sigilyph has a lot of support moves with one major strong attack but with magic guard as it's ability that makes it perfect for the support role. You can tank quite a bit of damage I think and then pop off a flash cannon to surprise your opponent
-Wobbuffet Lv.64 (Shadow Tag)with Leftovers
Counter
Mirror Coat
Safeguard(should this be replaced with encore?)
Destiny Bond
and last but not least, your wobbuffet is like perfect IMO. I'm not a big fan of encore as a move so I'd stick with safeguard, but having Shadow Tag AND destiny bond together?

whatever poor sucker you face will bemoan their fate after they've battled you.

Thanks for the advice, but which move should I replace Falmethrower with? Also Ninetails is holding a charcoal.

I dropped Thunderpunch and taught Ampharos signal beam.

A side note I am planning to evolve Seadra into a Kingdra.

For Tyranitar any suggestions to replace rock slide with?

And Thanks for the help :)

Unfortunately for Ninetales there's not much I can suggest to replace flamethrower with that isn't Fire type and still does damage. Without F-thrower you only have 1 damaging attack, which doesn't have the best accuracy (85%). The best I can suggest would be Dark Pulse (TM79). If you find Ninetales is not much of an attacker, replace Flamethrower with Safeguard (TM20, Move Re-learner), Double Team (TM32).

I noticed you don't have a fighting type attack. Fighting is super effective against 5 types (Normal, Steel, Ice, Rock, Dark) it's very advantageous. For Ampharos, I suggest replacing Power Gem for Focus Blast. the only problem with FB is its accuracy of 70%. EDIT: Thanks to Typhlosion's post below for reminding me. To increase FB's accuracy, have Ampharos hold either a Wide Lens, which increases Accuracy by 10% of the move's original accuracy (can be exchanged in the Goldenrod Game Corner for 1000 coins or sometimes found on wild Yanma); or have it hold a Zoom Lens which boosts accuracy by 20% if Ampharos moves after the opponent (Ampharos has a base speed of 55, so this item is more suited for this Pokemon). The Zoom Lens can be exchanged at the Goldenrod Game corner for 1000 coins.

For Kingdra...Again, if you're going to keep Dragon Dance, then have it learn a physical move (both its attack stats have a base of 95, so to determine if it should have a physical attack, check which attack stat is higher, if they're close (+/- 5-15), then don't worry). One move I'd recommend would be Waterfall, replace Surf/Brine. If you find yourself desperately needing a Surfer, then replace Hydro Pump with Waterfall. Dive is another move which can be learned via tutoring. But, if you want to keep hydro Pump and Brine/Surf, then replace Dragon Pulse with Outrage (tutor). Again this advice is only if you keep Dragon Dance and or its Attack stat is close to or greater than its Sp. Atk.

Tyranitar: You already have enough damaging attacks, so how about a status move? I suggest Stealth Rock, it will damage the opponent whenever another Pokemon is switched in according to its resistance to the Rock type. (i.e. a charizard will take 4x the damage that a Furret would). The earlier you use this move, the better. so it's suggested that Tyranitar should be the first or second Pokemon in the battle. If you prefer another move, Toxic is a good one for your team as you don't have a major status ailing move, this combined with Tyranitar's Sandstream ability is a decent one.

Last edited:

IS, couldn't you use an item to increase accuracy with focus blast?

Wide Lens! Thank you IS for reminding me of what item it was. My ampharos has focus blast and i've been tring to think of what item I could give it to help with accuracy

BACK TO DA SUBWAAAY

Last edited:

Also, if your pokemon is slow, the zoom lens can be very useful, as it boosts accuracy by 20%. Also, hidden power can be very strong and have a great type, in addition to great accuracy, so always consider it if you're using a special focus.

Also, my Metagross knows bullet punch because it's very slow.

Thanks, I'll definitely teach Espeon Signal Beam.

Oh and the strongest attack my Sigilyph knows is stored power. Flash Cannon is just there for rock and ice.

I have these two in storage:
Gallade(adamant)252attack/252speed with focus sash
-Psycho Cut(should I replace this with Zen Headbutt?)
-Close Combat
-Ice Punch
-Night Slash

Reuniclus(Modest)252sp.attack/126defense/126sp.defense with ???(what item should I use)
-Psychic
-Dark Pulse
-Energy Ball
-Recover

Nitroflame: try replacing Flamethrower with Heat Wave. Or just keep Flamethrower!

Last edited:

Uh I'd keep psycho cut as you seem to have pretty sweet coverage with the rest of your moveset

For Reuniclus I'd probably use a item that increases speed if anything. Idk how you feel about the choice items (scarf/band) but those seem like a good idea

Thanks for the advice, Typhlosionisafirebadger.
I've tried choice scarf before. It completely messes with my opponents' heads, but then recover becomes useless. What should I replace it with?
Here's my choices:
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Flash Cannon
-Thunder
-Grass Knot
-Superpower
-Hidden Power(Ice)

I've also tried using the rocky helmet and partnering it with my trick room slowking.

I'd say life orb if you want an extra oomph to your attacks at the cost of some HP, which you can always use Recover for.

Thunder and Focus Blast don't have great accuracy so that leaves Shadow Ball, Grass Knot, Superpower, Flash Cannon and Hidden Power. I've never really gotten the mechanics of Hidden Power but if you're able to use it to the fullest then I'd roll with that. Grass Knot works great for a lot of fully evolved starters and also slays my beloved Quagsire PRETTY quickly before he can do a rest/sleep talk combo after a bulldoze move. All that said, I'd go with Grass Knot or Hidden Power

Life Orb is a great idea! I can also use zoom lens to raise the accuracy of Focus Blast and Thunder.
Oh, and if you want to learn more about hidden power, there's a nice page on it at serebii. Hidden Power can make a team!
Here's the link: Serebii.net Games - Individual Value Calculator

And my Reuniclus's Hidden Power is fairly useless except on Dragons: Its power is 52!

And nice quagsire moveset! What's its fourth move? Hey, now Quagsire can learn Ice Punch from a tutor. I wonder why it can't learn Poison Jab?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom