• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

it's fourth move IS Ice Punch actually haha, he's a pretty tough little dude. I'm planning to give him nevermeltice to boost it too

idk why it can't learn poison jab though, I think it's just one of those weird things, like how Unfezant can't learn sky drop via TM

Glad you like the life orb idea and the zoom lens is excellent for accuracy issues. Thank you for the Hidden Power calculator

OK, so this is the Fire Red team and the moves of each pokemon I want to make. Plz look at it and see if you can help me improve I will also add some questions.

I don't wanna bother with EVs allthough I know how they work I think it's too much trouble.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Charizard - Warog: No replacing him but I can change his moves.
- Flamethrower
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide (Just in case.)
- Sword Dance

2. Zapdos: I don't think there is a better electric in this game.
- Thunderbolt
- Drill Peck
- Agility
- Substitute (Cause it's rather squisy for a legendary.)

3. Nidoking: This one is very controversial since it's a good pokemon to start with but not so great in late game.
- Sludge Bomb
- Thrash
- Megahorn
- Shadow Ball (I need a dark move somewhere.)

4. Golem: I think for Ground & Rock moves thid fella is the best. He can also take soem good dmg.
- Rock Blast
- Double Edge
- Focus Punch (Not sure about this.)
- Earthquake

5. Suicune: Ice and water moves.
- Surf (Best water type move in my opinion.)
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Rest

6. Mewtwo: Not changing him. Moves can change.
- Psychic (Surprise surprise!)
- Ice Beam (This one is also controversial since Suicune has it too.)
- Calm mind
- Recovery

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so that's my team and the moves I have chosen.

My questions are:
- Should I change Nidoking? I use him cause as I said he is reallt good at start. he can also learn a huge variety of moves from bug to dark types so he can be good way to fill my gaps in offense. If you guys have a better suggestion I am open.
- Is Substitue good for Zapdos. I am not sure but since it's a pokemon that cannot take much damage I think it can be a life saver.
- Should I replace Golem? If yes with what?
- With what should I replace Ice Beam on Mewtwo?

Feel free to add any other improvements you can think of and I might not have included in my questions.

Plz do NOT tell me to:
- Change Charizard with Moltres or Ho-Oh.
- Change Suicune with Lugia. Lugia is Flying/Psychic and for some reason peopel think it's Water type.

Thank you everyone. ^^

m0ckingbird20: Enjoy living in the past with that team full of legendaries. Legendaries aren't my style but whatever...
Charizard: Forget Aerial Ace for Fly.
Golem: Forget Rock Blast for Rock Slide
Suicune: Optional: forget Surf for Water Pulse and Calm Mind for Sleep Talk to make the infamous defensive Suicune
Mewtwo: Really? Forget Ice Beam for maybe Thunderbolt...
Nidoking and Zapdos look pretty good.

Oh and someone reveiw the Typhlosion I'm breeding:
Adamant Nature
252attack/idk what other stat to max out.
-Flare Blitz
-Thrash(or Double Edge)
-Earthquake(or Thunder Punch)
-Howl

Yes, these are mostly Egg moves. Just tell me what you think.

m0ckingbird20: Enjoy living in the past with that team full of legendaries. Legendaries aren't my style but whatever...
Charizard: Forget Aerial Ace for Fly.
Golem: Forget Rock Blast for Rock Slide
Suicune: Optional: forget Surf for Water Pulse and Calm Mind for Sleep Talk to make the infamous defensive Suicune
Mewtwo: Really? Forget Ice Beam for maybe Thunderbolt...
Nidoking and Zapdos look pretty good.
I can't help you with your Typhlosion but about the corrections you said on my team I think I might have some things to say.

Charizard: Forget Aerial Ace for Fly. - Fly is a bad move it gives the opponent the chance to switch poke to something resistant to to fly type moves and the attack damage is not that bigger from Aerial Ace to make the chance worth it.

Suicune: Optional: forget Surf for Water Pulse and Calm Mind for Sleep Talk - Surf is in my opinion the best water damaging move if you take into account that it attacks in one turn it has high damage and accuracy. I don't remember the stats of Water Pulse but I am pretty sure they are lower. Also please tell me where to find Sleep Talk TM in Fire Red, I have looked everywhere. I mean i wanted Sleep Talk originally but i gave up on it cause i didn't find anything.

Mewtwo: Really? Forget Ice Beam for maybe Thunderbolt... - I have Zapdos for electric attacks but I have no Ice attacks which are very effective against Dragon Types. So...

I could be wrong on any of these so just tell me if I am. No hard feelings. ^^

252 speed for typhlosion and thrash/earthquake

mockingbird i understand having ice beam and i'll try to give some advice (even though i haven't played firered) that you should try to give mewtwo maybe a fighting/dark move if it can learn it in firered? I know you get some dark types so there's a chance it could happen

plus if you build your suicune the way ninfia suggested, it could be tough enough to hang in there and pulverize those dragon types for you dude

mockingbird i understand having ice beam and i'll try to give some advice (even though i haven't played firered) that you should try to give mewtwo maybe a fighting/dark move if it can learn it in firered? I know you get some dark types so there's a chance it could happen

plus if you build your suicune the way ninfia suggested, it could be tough enough to hang in there and pulverize those dragon types for you dude

I believe mewtwo can learn dark moves but I have already taught shadow ball to nidoking but i don't think it can learn fighting moves. Anyway it's my first time to actually include suicune in my team so I will try it out. Thanks.

Originally Posted by m0ckingbird20:
Charizard: Forget Aerial Ace for Fly. - Fly is a bad move it gives the opponent the chance to switch poke to something resistant to to fly type moves and the attack damage is not that bigger from Aerial Ace to make the chance worth it.

Suicune: Optional: forget Surf for Water Pulse and Calm Mind for Sleep Talk - Surf is in my opinion the best water damaging move if you take into account that it attacks in one turn it has high damage and accuracy. I don't remember the stats of Water Pulse but I am pretty sure they are lower. Also please tell me where to find Sleep Talk TM in Fire Red, I have looked everywhere. I mean i wanted Sleep Talk originally but i gave up on it cause i didn't find anything.

Mewtwo: Really? Forget Ice Beam for maybe Thunderbolt... - I have Zapdos for electric attacks but I have no Ice attacks which are very effective against Dragon Types. So...

Charizard: Okay, unless you're planning on doing competitive battles I have no idea why you're afraid of switch outs. Fly is a lot stronger and really good players will use Belly Drum(the only move that really sets Charizard apart) and leftovers and Fly to recover HP.

Suicune: Sleep Talk is done by a Move Tutor in Emerald in the Battle Frontier so you'll have to trade and use BP to get it, but it's worth it. Also Water pulse's power is 60, but it doesn't hit your allies and it often confuses the foe, which is a great help for a ResTalk pokemon.

Mewtwo: You could use Focus Punch or Brick Break.

Originally Posted by m0ckingbird20:

Charizard: Okay, unless you're planning on doing competitive battles I have no idea why you're afraid of switch outs. Fly is a lot stronger and really good players will use Belly Drum(the only move that really sets Charizard apart) and leftovers and Fly to recover HP.

Suicune: Sleep Talk is done by a Move Tutor in Emerald in the Battle Frontier so you'll have to trade and use BP to get it, but it's worth it. Also Water pulse's power is 60, but it doesn't hit your allies and it often confuses the foe, which is a great help for a ResTalk pokemon.

Mewtwo: You could use Focus Punch or Brick Break.
Aright thanks man! ^^

Here's a sandstorm team I built:

Tyranitar(Sand Stream)Adamant with 252attack/252defense with Air Balloon
-Rock Slide
-Fire Punch
-Crunch
-Protect

Excadrill(Sand Rush)Adamant with 252attack/252speed with Focus Sash
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-X-scissor
-Swords Dance

Garchomp(Sand Veil)Adamant with 252attack/252speed with BrightPowder
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw/Outrage (I can't decide)
-Iron Head
-Aqua Tail

-Rock Slide
-Fire Punch
-Crunch
-Protect

-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-X-scissor
-Swords Dance

-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Aqua Tail
outrage is a pretty sweet move

-Rock Slide
-Fire Punch
-Crunch
-Protect

-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-X-scissor
-Swords Dance

-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Aqua Tail

In a competitive team I would have suggested Dragon Claw due to unpredictability of Outrage, but as an in-game team, Outrage should do you just fine.

Re: The In-Game Team Review Thread

I plan on getting a Gothita for my team, but am unsure what nature it should be, suggestions?

Last edited:

I plan on getting a Gothita for my team, but am unsure what nature it should be, suggestions?

If you it to be more defensive, get Calm or Bold (but Calm would probably be better).
If you want a more specially offensive, get Modest.

so for my team when i go through black 2 again i have 3 members picked out

oshawott, growlithe and mareep for when I start. I also plan to pick up a sandile

who should/could i get to cover the other two spots? I got my eyes on zorua and solosis

Well, why not have those two then? :) Zoroark has a fun ability and is great for either Special or Pysical attacks, and Reuniclus is awesome, I think of it like a more beefier but slower Alakazam, it's awesome and pretty cute too.

If you do have a Sandile though, that'll be two dark-types. If you want to swap it, I'd recommend Sandslash, Aggron or maybe Flygon (although Trapinch is a pain to find, especially if you're looking for a specific natured one).

so for my team when i go through black 2 again i have 3 members picked out

oshawott, growlithe and mareep for when I start. I also plan to pick up a sandile

who should/could i get to cover the other two spots? I got my eyes on zorua and solosis

Well, why not have those two then? :) Zoroark has a fun ability and is great for either Special or Pysical attacks, and Reuniclus is awesome, I think of it like a more beefier but slower Alakazam, it's awesome and pretty cute too.

If you do have a Sandile though, that'll be two dark-types. If you want to swap it, I'd recommend Sandslash, Aggron or maybe Flygon (although Trapinch is a pain to find, especially if you're looking for a specific natured one).
Thanks for your comments! and yeah I like having zorua/zoroark as a speedy special attacker. I think I mainly want Sandile cause I love the look of Krookodile but yeah Solosis does seem like a Nu-abra

I'm not very picky about natures and so far I"ve been able to get decent ones so it's no big deal for me

I have an Eelektross that I'm using in an all Electric type team (trying to get that Challenge medal!), but I don't think the moveset I've picked out is working. Can anyone give suggestions for a better moveset?

Eelektross (Lvl. 55)
- Female
- Calm (Scatters things often)
- Levitate

Stats:
- HP: 177
- Attack: 126
- Defense: 105
- Sp. Attack: 129
- Sp. Defense: 105
- Speed: 70

Moves:
- Dragon Claw
- Flamethrower
- Discharge
- Crunch

I have an Eelektross that I'm using in an all Electric type team (trying to get that Challenge medal!), but I don't think the moveset I've picked out is working. Can anyone give suggestions for a better moveset?

Eelektross (Lvl. 55)
- Female
- Levitate

Stats:

Moves:
- Dragon Claw
- Flamethrower
- Discharge
- Crunch

That looks pretty good to me actually. Crunch will be useful against Shantal and Caitlin while Dragon Claw will be useful against Iris. The only thing I can think of would be replacing Discharge with Thunderbolt for the added power. You could also teach it Drain Punch or Superpower by tutoring, replacing Flamethrower since you won't really need it against the E4.

That looks pretty good to me actually. Crunch will be useful against Shantal and Caitlin while Dragon Claw will be useful against Iris. The only thing I can think of would be replacing Discharge with Thunderbolt for the added power. You could also teach it Drain Punch or Superpower by tutoring, replacing Flamethrower since you won't really need it against the E4.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by FallenIdol_453

Eelektross (Lvl. 55)
- Female
- Levitate

Stats:

Moves:
- Dragon Claw
- Flamethrower
- Discharge
- Crunch

What EVs have you given Eelecktross? It seems like, especially as you are using a calm nature, which adds to special defense at the price of attack, that you have not specially caught or bred Eelektross. You should give it EVs to choose either physical or special focus.

Physical
-Wild Charge
-Superpower
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch

Special
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Signal Beam
-Giga Drain

Back
Top Bottom