• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: The In-Game Team Review Thread

Rate my LeafGreen Team. I've been playing through LeafGreen, I currently have four Gym Badges,

Here's the team:

1. Vensaur, Level 36

-Tackle
-Poisonpowder
-Razor Leaf
-Vine Whip

2. Vamporeon, Level 36
-Water Pulse
-Quick Attack
-Aurora Beam
-Bite

3. Sandslash, Level 35
-Cut
-Slash
-Swift
-Dig

4. Fearow, Level 35
-Peck
-Pursuit
-Fly
-Aerial Ace

Obviously I don't have free access to moves, I plan on catching a couple more Pokemon later on, and my post-game team is massive, but I always like to get suggestions that I could use, so anyone got any ideas for Pokemon to use? So far the team has worked, although I feel a bit over-leveled at this point in the game.

Rate my Sapphire Team. Unlike LeafGreen, I don't even have a team planned out, so suggestions are much appreciated, I currently have two badges.

Here's the team:

1. Combusken, Level 19
-Ember
-Scratch
-Double Kick
-Peck

2. Pichu, Level 16
-Volt Tackle
-Double Team
-Thunder Wave
-Tail Whip

3. Aron, Level 10
-Tackle
-Harden
-Mud-Slap
-Headbutt

4. Magikarp, Level 7
-Splash

Two of mine are under-leveled, I traded the Pichu over as an egg from Emerald, and I got an Exp. Share in this game as well, I plan to even the levels out for all four.

I'll give you idealized moves, so try to match them if you can.

Venusaur:
-Sludge Bomb
-Leech Seed
-Sleep Powder
-Giga Drain

Vaporeon:
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Wish

Sandslash
-Earthquake/ Dig
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance
-Hidden Power (Bug) (Fighting)

Fearow
-Fly
-Return/ Tri Attack
-Hidden Power (Ghost) (Fighting) (Ground)
-Steel Wing

Other Team

Blaizken (Combusken)
-Brick Break
-Blaze Kick
-Slash/ Return
-Rock Slide

Raichu (Pichu)
-ThunderBolt
-Thunder Wave
-Hidden Power (Water) (Grass) (Ice)
-Light Screen

Aggron (Aron)
-Rock Slide
-Brick Break
-Iron Tail
-Double-Edge

Gyarados (Magikarp)
-Dragon Dance
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Flying)
-Earthquake

Hey, thanks for the look-over. I made sceptile into a traplayer before I realised it has no access to traps whatsoever. Silly me. I am using this moveset: Earthquake(Flying, and steel, good move all around. Rock slide (flying and fire), sword dance, leaf blade. Using as physical sweeper. I don't mind the big rock weakness on charizard, as few of my friends use it, I have tons of counters to rock, and my charizard is shiny and one of my 6 favourite pokemon. I am using sword dance, ice beam, aqua tail and return on my feraligatr. It's not exactly a "wall", but it is pretty durable(for my team at least). Thanks for the help. BTW, my lucario is using a similar build to yours, but with close combat, extremespeed, ice punch and swords dance. Mabye not so similar, but still related. Cousins mabye.

Hey, thanks for the look-over. I made sceptile into a traplayer before I realised it has no access to traps whatsoever. Silly me. I am using this moveset: Earthquake(Flying, and steel, good move all around. Rock slide (flying and fire), sword dance, leaf blade. Using as physical sweeper. I don't mind the big rock weakness on charizard, as few of my friends use it, I have tons of counters to rock, and my charizard is shiny and one of my 6 favourite pokemon. I am using sword dance, ice beam, aqua tail and return on my feraligatr. It's not exactly a "wall", but it is pretty durable(for my team at least). Thanks for the help. BTW, my lucario is using a similar build to yours, but with close combat, extremespeed, ice punch and swords dance. Mabye not so similar, but still related. Cousins mabye.

You're welcome. I love evaluating teams.

For Sceptile: Perfect. Sceptile goes physical well. Rock Slide covers 4 out of Grass's 5 weaknesses (you forgot Ice and Bug). Sceptile can Also learn Outrage by Tutor if you're interested.

Lucario: Hmmm... Crunch is sort of needed for that set... Think about Shadow Claw, which works in a similar way.

Feraligatr: I recommend Ice Punch over Ice Beam if you have given it 252 atk Evs and it has the Adamant Nature.

Next up, evaluate my gen IV battle revolution team:

Absol
With Super Luck and scope lens
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch

Sharpedo
With Rough Skin and ???? item
-Crunch
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Poison Jab

Lucario
With Steadfast and ???? item
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-ExtremeSpeed
-Swords Dance

Gardevoir
With Trace and Leftovers
-Wish
-Psychic
-Energy Ball/ Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind

Houndoom
With Flash Fire and Life Orb
-Dark Pulse
-Heat Wave
-Nasty Plot
-Hidden Power Grass

Gliscor
With Hyper Cutter and ???? item
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Stealth Rock
-Roost

Last edited:

Rate my LeafGreen Team. I've been playing through LeafGreen, I currently have four Gym Badges,

Here's the team:

1. Vensaur, Level 36

-Tackle
-Poisonpowder
-Razor Leaf
-Vine Whip

2. Vamporeon, Level 36
-Water Pulse
-Quick Attack
-Aurora Beam
-Bite

3. Sandslash, Level 35
-Cut
-Slash
-Swift
-Dig

4. Fearow, Level 35
-Peck
-Pursuit
-Fly
-Aerial Ace

Obviously I don't have free access to moves, I plan on catching a couple more Pokemon later on, and my post-game team is massive, but I always like to get suggestions that I could use, so anyone got any ideas for Pokemon to use? So far the team has worked, although I feel a bit over-leveled at this point in the game.

Rate my Sapphire Team. Unlike LeafGreen, I don't even have a team planned out, so suggestions are much appreciated, I currently have two badges.

Here's the team:

1. Combusken, Level 19
-Ember
-Scratch
-Double Kick
-Peck

2. Pichu, Level 16
-Volt Tackle
-Double Team
-Thunder Wave
-Tail Whip

3. Aron, Level 10
-Tackle
-Harden
-Mud-Slap
-Headbutt

4. Magikarp, Level 7
-Splash

Two of mine are under-leveled, I traded the Pichu over as an egg from Emerald, and I got an Exp. Share in this game as well, I plan to even the levels out for all four.

Venusaur:
-Sludge Bomb
-Leech Seed
-Sleep Powder
-Giga Drain

Vaporeon:
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Wish

Sandslash
-Earthquake/ Dig
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance

Fearow
-Fly
-Return/ Tri Attack
-Steel Wing

Other Team

Blaizken (Combusken)
-Brick Break
-Blaze Kick
-Slash/ Return
-Rock Slide

Raichu (Pichu)
-ThunderBolt
-Thunder Wave
-Light Screen

Aggron (Aron)
-Rock Slide
-Brick Break
-Iron Tail
-Double-Edge

Gyarados (Magikarp)
-Dragon Dance
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Flying)
-Earthquake

Thanks a lot, man. Do you have any suggestions for two more Pokemon in Sapphire? Mostly for the Elite Four, I don't like using more than four in-game, until I need them for the Pokemon League.

Can someone rate my Gen V team please?

I need to update some moves and distibute items, so helpful critizism on that would be appreciated!!

Unfezant - Female
Level - 52
Gentle
Super Luck
Item - None
Moves:
Fly - Air Slash - Feather Dance - Quick Attack

Stoutland - Male
Level - 52
Mild
Intimidate
Item - None
Moves:
Retaliate - Work Up - Take Down - Crunch

Liepard - Male
Level - 52
Naughty
Unburden
Item - None
Moves:
Night Slash - Fake Out - Hone Claws - Slash

Seismitoad - Female
Level - 53
Brave
Poison Touch
Item - None
Moves:
Bulldoze - Hydro Pump - Muddy Water - Drain Punch

Serperior - Male
Level - 52
Impish
Overgrow
Item - None
Moves:
Giga Drain - Coil - Wring Out - Leaf Blade

Here's the team:

1. Vensaur, Level 36

-Tackle
-Poisonpowder
-Razor Leaf
-Vine Whip

2. Vamporeon, Level 36
-Water Pulse
-Quick Attack
-Aurora Beam
-Bite

3. Sandslash, Level 35
-Cut
-Slash
-Swift
-Dig

4. Fearow, Level 35
-Peck
-Pursuit
-Fly
-Aerial Ace

Here's the team:

1. Combusken, Level 19
-Ember
-Scratch
-Double Kick
-Peck

2. Pichu, Level 16
-Volt Tackle
-Double Team
-Thunder Wave
-Tail Whip

3. Aron, Level 10
-Tackle
-Harden
-Mud-Slap
-Headbutt

4. Magikarp, Level 7
-Splash

Venusaur:
-Sludge Bomb
-Leech Seed
-Sleep Powder
-Giga Drain

Vaporeon:
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Wish

Sandslash
-Earthquake/ Dig
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance

Fearow
-Fly
-Return/ Tri Attack
-Steel Wing

Other Team

Blaizken (Combusken)
-Brick Break
-Blaze Kick
-Slash/ Return
-Rock Slide

Raichu (Pichu)
-ThunderBolt
-Thunder Wave
-Light Screen

Aggron (Aron)
-Rock Slide
-Brick Break
-Iron Tail
-Double-Edge

Gyarados (Magikarp)
-Dragon Dance
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Flying)
-Earthquake

Thanks a lot, man. Do you have any suggestions for two more Pokemon in Sapphire? Mostly for the Elite Four, I don't like using more than four in-game, until I need them for the Pokemon League.

I recommend adding a dark type, an ice type, or another pokemon with an advantage over steel and rock.
I suggest:
-Glalie
-Walrein
-Sharpedo
-Shiftry
-Absol
-Whiscash
-Kyogre
-Hariyama

Doing a nuzlocke in Fire Red, and so far my team is Charizard (lvl 36), Graveler (lvl 35), Vileplume (lvl 36), and Persian (lvl 35). I just got an Eevee - what should I evolve it into? I kind of want to try for a Poliwag once I get a better rod, so I'm kinda iffy on making it a Vaporeon, but I've already got a grass type to deal with water types, and Jolteon seems a little frail for a nuzlocke.

Doing a nuzlocke in Fire Red, and so far my team is Charizard (lvl 36), Graveler (lvl 35), Vileplume (lvl 36), and Persian (lvl 35). I just got an Eevee - what should I evolve it into? I kind of want to try for a Poliwag once I get a better rod, so I'm kinda iffy on making it a Vaporeon, but I've already got a grass type to deal with water types, and Jolteon seems a little frail for a nuzlocke.

Nuzlockes are so sad- I don't like releasing pokemon, especially when they love you and they feel sad that they lost when they were fighting for you.

But I recommend Umbreon. Simply trade Eevee to R,S, or E, and evolve it, and then trade it back.

Nuzlockes are so sad- I don't like releasing pokemon, especially when they love you and they feel sad that they lost when they were fighting for you.

But I recommend Umbreon. Simply trade Eevee to R,S, or E, and evolve it, and then trade it back.

I don't have any way to trade.

I'm doing yet another no-starter run and with pokemon I've never used in Black, but I'm having trouble deciding on the last slot. Care to give suggestions for both move sets and the last team member?

1.) Darmanitan
- Sheer Force
- Moves: Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, Hammer Arm, ?

2.) Stoutland
- Intimidate
- Jolly nature (Sturdy body)
- Moves: Ice Fang, Crunch, Return, ?

3.) Simipour
- Gluttony
- Careful nature (Often scatters things)
- Moves: Surf, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Grass Knot(?)

4.) Mienshao
- Regenerator
- Moves: U-Turn, Hi Jump Kick, Fake Out, Rock Slide/Bounce

5.) Crustle
- Sturdy/Shell Armor
- Moves: X-Scissor, Rock Wrecker/Stone Edge, Stealth Rock/Rock Polish, ?

Last edited:

But I recommend Umbreon. Simply trade Eeveeto R,S, or E, and evolve it, and then trade it back.

Uh tbh I'd go with jolteon over vaporeon. That speed can really help and as long as you're careful you can be alright, even I. a nuzlocke. If you're still not sure about them I'd say go for vaporeon bc of the ice beam coverage and bulkiness
I'm doing yet another no-starter run and with pokemon I've never used in Black, but I'm having trouble deciding on the last slot. Care to give suggestions for both move sets and the last team member?

1.) Darmanitan
- Sheer Force
- Moves: Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, Hammer Arm, ?

2.) Stoutland
- Intimidate
- Jolly nature (Sturdy body)
- Moves: Ice Fang, Crunch, Return, ?

3.) Simipour
- Gluttony
- Careful nature (Often scatters things)
- Moves: Surf, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Grass Knot(?)

4.) Mienshao
- Regenerator
- Moves: U-Turn, Hi Jump Kick, Fake Out, Rock Slide/Bounce

5.) Crustle
- Sturdy/Shell Armor
- Moves: X-Scissor, Rock Wrecker/Stone Edge, Stealth Rock/Rock Polish, ?
Swoobat?
Fly
Assurance/heart stamp/confusion
Psychic?
Idkabout fourth slot though buddeh

Hahaha. Ouch. The curse of being low tech. If you pour in the offensive EVs then I'm sure Jolteon can KO the enemy before it faints.
A good moveset?
Thunderbolt, definitely. Also Hidden Power Grass or Ice, which you'll need.

Hahaha. Ouch. The curse of being low tech. If you pour in the offensive EVs then I'm sure Jolteon can KO the enemy before it faints.
A good moveset?
Thunderbolt, definitely. Also Hidden Power Grass or Ice, which you'll need.

I already have the Eevee, so I can't exactly breed for nature or hidden power (and even if I could, I suck at that anyway). Still, Jolteon it is, then.

I've used all of the flying types in Unova, @Typhlosionisafirebadger;. xD I might trade over a Skarmory or something, who knows.

really? daaaang idol

I'd go for a skarmory or just try a random buizel/liepard

Just so helps that I bred a Skarmory with Sturdy and an Adamant nature this morning. I'll see if anyone's willing to help me transport him from Black 2 to Black Wednesday.

Ill do it :) ill be there buddy

So I did a nuzlocke of white 2 and I'm at the E4 rematch

Now for marshal I have the dw braviary buuuuuuut I also traded a dude for a cyndaquil w extra sensory but do I go either/ or? Ill explain the dilemma further when I get back

BW2 Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but this is about team arrangements.

So I am ready to replay White 2. I replayed black to jog my memory about the story line, but I am stuck now as to what to do.

I have decided to chose Oshawott as my starter. I am giving my self the option of one more Pokemon, from black, to train with a traded Exp share and lucky egg. What should it be? I was thinking either Lampent or Klink, but I can not work out how to breed Klink (if I do it from an egg, I wont have the level restrictions as I get gym badges - or so my theory is anyway).

Any suggestions?

Re: BW2 Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but this is about team arrangements.

So I am ready to replay White 2. I replayed black to jog my memory about the story line, but I am stuck now as to what to do.

I have decided to chose Oshawott as my starter. I am giving my self the option of one more Pokemon, from black, to train with a traded Exp share and lucky egg. What should it be? I was thinking either Lampent or Klink, but I can not work out how to breed Klink (if I do it from an egg, I wont have the level restrictions as I get gym badges - or so my theory is anyway).

Any suggestions?

You can breed Klink, but only with a Ditto since it's a genderless species.

However, I need suggestions too. For a water type team to take on the E4. (I've put the ice team on the back burner, I'm going to try to win with them later).

To stop this from getting too long, I'm put everything under spoilers.

1.) Starmie
- Rash (Scatters things often)
- Natural Cure
- Moves: Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt

2.) Swanna
- Lonely (Sturdy body)
- Keen Eye
- Moves: Ice Beam, Surf, Hurricane, Rain Dance

3.) Cloyster
- Adamant (Scatters things often)
- Skill Link
- Moves: Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, Shell Smash, Toxic Spikes
- I've never used Cloyster before (let alone one with Skill Link), so tips would be appreciated.

4.) Keldeo [in Resolute Form]
- Relaxed (Strong willed)
- Justified
- Moves: Secret Sword, Surf, Toxic, Reflect
- I just threw Toxic and Reflect on him to complete the set because I couldn't decide what other moves to use. Suggestions for new ones would be appreciated.

5.) Milotic
- Naive (Likes to run)
- Marvel Scale
- Moves: Scald/Surf, Toxic, Ice Beam, Dragon Pulse

I have two choices for a sixth team member, but I can't decide which. I have them both in boxes, but I have to breed them to get the right ability that I want below.

A.) Seismitoad
- ? nature, ? characteristic
- Poison Touch
- Moves: Earthquake, Surf, Drain Punch, Venoshock
- Venoshock is for that off-chance that someone gets poisoned due to Poison Touch.

B.) Relicanth
- ? nature, ? characteristic
- Rock Head
- Moves: Head Smash, Double Edge, Earthquake, Waterfall

@FallenIdol_453; Taking this from a very simplistic point of view, just thinking about type coverage. I'd go with Relicanth over Seismitoad because that way you'd be getting Earthquake. From what I can see, none of your other Pokémon know Ground-type moves so Earthquake could potentially be a bonus.
I have no clue what Keldeo learns (never used one before) but I guess it would be best to teach it moves that give your team more coverage? If this team is solely for the E4 then you only have 5 types to worry about. Although I guess you can't really go wrong with something like Toxic. :p

did that make any sense? ^^;

I have a question, too: I'm in the process of replaying through Pearl. I started with Turtwig and I caught a Starly, and I'm thinking of catching a Ponyta to help with some of the gyms. I was wondering which Pokémon would best complement those three if I make an in-game team of 6.

Back
Top Bottom