• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: The In-Game Team Review Thread

I have a question, too: I'm in the process of replaying through Pearl. I started with Turtwig and I caught a Starly, and I'm thinking of catching a Ponyta to help with some of the gyms. I was wondering which Pokémon would best complement those three if I make an in-game team of 6.

I'd go for Buizel, Shinx and Gastly/Sneasel/Espeon. Your choice really regarding the last spot but I'd definitely go for Buizel and Shinx, they're great and available early.

Re: BW2 Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but this is about team arrangements.

So I am ready to replay White 2. I replayed black to jog my memory about the story line, but I am stuck now as to what to do.

I have decided to chose Oshawott as my starter. I am giving my self the option of one more Pokemon, from black, to train with a traded Exp share and lucky egg. What should it be? I was thinking either Lampent or Klink, but I can not work out how to breed Klink (if I do it from an egg, I wont have the level restrictions as I get gym badges - or so my theory is anyway).

Any suggestions?

A pokemon with your OT will never disobey you- so if you hatch klink, then trade it away and train it to any level, then trade it back, even if it is level 100 it will obey you.

Also, a Lampent will help and be the perfect compliment for Oshawott.

I want to add a Blissey on my team because it would be a special defensive wall but all my Pokemon are good so I don't know which one to replace or just not replace at all. This is my White 2 team.
My team
Samurott@Wave Inscense
Ability: Torrent
-Waterfall
- Surf
- Megahorn
- Ice Beam

Hydreigon@Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Signal Beam

Dragonite (PokéTransfer)@Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ThunderPunch
- Fly

Heracross(PokéTransfer) @Burn Orb
Ability:Guts
- Brick Break
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

Magnezone@Magnet
Ability:Sturdy
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Signal Beam
- Mirror Coat

Chandelure@Rocky Helmet
Ability: Flame Body
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Keep in mind this is in-game not competitive so don't do competitive things.
Also feel free to edit my moveset if it is lacking coverage.

My teams tend to be built on impulse and emotional attachment, so try not to laugh. For me it is not so much about whether to go with a certain Pokemon, but I'd like to hear opinions on moves (and possibly items) to make the best of what I've got.

Currently, I have all 8 badges in Black, and am just training before the E4.
Absol (L. 53)
Super Luck
BlackGlasses

- Swords Dance
- Night Slash
- Assurance
- Double Edge

Glaceon (L. 58)
Snow Cloak
Item Undecided (threw Soft Sand on for now)

- Blizzard
- Dig
- Hail
- Trump Card

Gigalith (L. 45)
Sturdy
Quick Claw

- Giga Impact
- Iron Defense
- Rock Slide
- Flash Cannon (planning on replacing this with Stone Edge @ L. 48)

Gothitelle (L. 43)
Frisk
Item Undecided

- Flatter
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Psyshock

Tirtouga (L. 25)
Sturdy
Exp. Share

- Surf
- AncientPower
- Scald
- Crunch

And last of all... (dun dun dun)
Mawile (L. 45)
Sheer Force
Item Undecided (threw Scope Lens on for now)

- Iron Defense
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break
- Flash Cannon (want to replace this with Iron Head)

My teams tend to be built on impulse and emotional attachment, so try not to laugh. For me it is not so much about whether to go with a certain Pokemon, but I'd like to hear opinions on moves (and possibly items) to make the best of what I've got.

Currently, I have all 8 badges in Black, and am just training before the E4.
Absol (L. 53)
Super Luck
BlackGlasses

- Swords Dance
- Night Slash
- Assurance
- Double Edge

Glaceon (L. 58)
Snow Cloak
Item Undecided (threw Soft Sand on for now)

- Blizzard
- Dig
- Hail
- Trump Card

Gigalith (L. 45)
Sturdy
Quick Claw

- Giga Impact
- Iron Defense
- Rock Slide
- Flash Cannon (planning on replacing this with Stone Edge @ L. 48)

Gothitelle (L. 43)
Frisk
Item Undecided

- Flatter
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Psyshock

Tirtouga (L. 25)
Sturdy
Exp. Share

- Surf
- AncientPower
- Scald
- Crunch

And last of all... (dun dun dun)
Mawile (L. 45)
Sheer Force
Item Undecided (threw Scope Lens on for now)

- Iron Defense
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break
- Flash Cannon (want to replace this with Iron Head)

A team hugely weak to fighting: Use countermeasures and the Chople Berry

The team's moves are pretty good, I only have one or two moves for each to reccomend.

Absol:
-Psycho Cut
-Stone Edge

Glaceon:
-Shadow Ball
-Ice Beam

Gigalith:
-Earthquake

Gothitelle:
-Thunderbolt

Tirtouga:
Looks Good

Mawile:
Iron Head, Definitely. Nice to know that someone other than me likes Mawile.

@ninfiaVI; Thanks. I actually ended up taking on the E4 yesterday, and it worked out alright (albeit with a whole lot of item abuse).

Glaceon doesn't have Ice beam yet because the TM for that is in the Giant Chasm. There were a lot of times I wished I had a 100% accuracy Ice move without having to set up hail.

Earthquake could be a good idea, I'll have to see if I have that (I might not). Gigalith now has Stone Edge.

I actually ended up teaching Gothitelle Thunderbolt anyway.

Tirtouga is now a L. 46 Carracosta, still the same four moves.

Mawile really had a bit of difficulty outside of Flash Cannon. It just doesn't have the attack. I might try to switch it to more of a setup thing, maybe bring back fake tears and try out Baton Pass and just leave it with Iron head for an attack once it learns it.

Ghost was not an issue, nor Psychic. Absol pretty well cleaned out everything there. Fighting was actually surprisingly easy, I beat all four with Gothitelle. The hardest actually ended up being Dark. His Scrafty managed to take out four of my pokémon before I finally got him, and left me with only Carracosta and Gothitelle.

The other stuff after was tough, and the fact that NPCs kept healing my pokémon and took away my last Trump Card was inconvenient, but I managed. I didn't use the Reshiram because I have a friend who wants it, but only if it has gained no experience.

Last edited:

@ninfiaVI; Thanks. I actually ended up taking on the E4 yesterday, and it worked out alright (albeit with a whole lot of item abuse).

Glaceon doesn't have Ice beam yet because the TM for that is in the Giant Chasm. There were a lot of times I wished I had a 100% accuracy Ice move without having to set up hail.

Earthquake could be a good idea, I'll have to see if I have that (I might not). Gigalith now has Stone Edge.

I actually ended up teaching Gothitelle Thunderbolt anyway.

Tirtouga is now a L. 46 Carracosta, still the same four moves.

Mawile really had a bit of difficulty outside of Flash Cannon. It just doesn't have the attack. I might try to switch it to more of a setup thing, maybe bring back fake tears and try out Baton Pass and just leave it with Iron head for an attack once it learns it.

Ghost was not an issue, nor Psychic. Absol pretty well cleaned out everything there. Fighting was actually surprisingly easy, I beat all four with Gothitelle. The hardest actually ended up being Dark. His Scrafty managed to take out four of my pokémon before I finally got him, and left me with only Carracosta and Gothitelle.

The other stuff after was tough, and the fact that NPCs kept healing my pokémon and took away my last Trump Card was inconvenient, but I managed. I didn't use the Reshiram because I have a friend who wants it, but only if it has gained no experience.

Earthquake's TM is in the Relic Castle, but only past a really difficult puzzle, so you have the chance to get it now, but it just takes a while.

Dark Type? Interesting. Here are some Anti-Dark suggestions.

Absol: You can trade it to B2/W2 and teach it Superpower by Tutor. An Egg Move for Absol is Megahorn.

Glaceon: Signal Beam (Move Tutor)

Gigalith: Superpower (Move Tutor)

Carracosta: Focus Blast (TM52 at Wellspring Cave)

Gothitelle: Signal Beam

Mawile: Focus Blast. Also, Learns Iron Head at Lv. 56.

Reshiram with no experience? Why?

Alright, I tried fixing up my team's move sets, and I hope that I get a better review than last time. Also, I got a different Zoroark with a different nature than my last one (I would also appreciate it if someone gave me a move that I can replace Arcanine's Roar with). This time, I'll just be listing their stats, natures, and moves:

Serperior
Nature: Lax
Quick to Flee

HP: 270
Attack: 185
Defense: 210
Sp. Atk: 168
Sp. Def: 165
Speed: 265

Dragon Pulse
Giga Drain
Flash
Leaf Blade

Sigilyph
Nature: Bashful
Quick to Flee

HP: 274
Attack: 176
Defense: 192
Sp. Atk: 235
Sp. Def: 193
Speed: 252

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Fly
Energy Ball

Arcanine
Nature: Brave
Mischevious

HP: 310
Attack: 326
Defense: 203
Sp. Atk: 248
Sp. Def: 203
Speed: 214

Strength
Fire Fang
Roar
Flamethrower

Vaporeon
Nature: Bashful
Quick to Flee

HP: 395
Attack: 183
Defense: 148
Sp. Atk: 252
Sp. Def: 213
Speed: 188

Ice Beam
Hydro Pump
Surf
Waterfall

Lucario
Nature: Hasty
Quick to flee

HP: 269
Attack: 293
Defense: 161
Sp. Atk: 263
Sp. Def: 154
Speed: 266

Aura Sphere
Psychic
Dragon Pulse
Bone Rush

Zoroark
Nature: Naive
Highly Curious

HP: 250
Attack: 273
Defense: 181
Sp. Atk: 300
Sp. Def: 151
Speed: 254

Dark Pulse
Flamethrower
Cut
Grass Knot

Reshiram with no experience? Why?

OCD I guess. He wants it exactly as it comes, perfectly L. 50 or whatever it is. Doesn't matter to me, I'm not much of a legendary person anyway.

Really it wasn't a Dark problem as much as a Scrafty problem. Scrafty being both Dark and Fighting causes problems when it is immune to your only pokemon not weak to fighting, and has SE STAB against every single one of your pokemon.

(I would also appreciate it if someone gave me a move that I can replace Arcanine's Roar with)

Extremespeed, Wild Charge, Crunch, are some decent moves to consider. Close Combat could be considered as well. Without looking more in-depth at your team's needs, it is tough to tell.

Edit: Actually, Crunch and Close Combat are not options, as those have to be learned as a Growlithe.

Edit 2: If you don't mind having to go withdraw a pokemon to use strength, replacing it with Extremespeed is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Here's my current White 2 team; right now I'm in Reversal Mountain.

Ivan/Pignite, level 32
Bulldoze
Arm Thrust
Heat Crash
Rollout

Freyja/Trapinch, level 32
Bide
Bulldoze
Rock Slide
Dig

Coriander/Leavanny, level 33
Return
Slash
Bug Bite
Razor Leaf

Mjolnir/Braviary, level 33
Fly
Shadow Claw
Slash
Aerial Ace

Matvey/Vaporeon, level 34
Acid Armor
Aqua Ring
Aurora Beam
Surf

Ironvolt/Magnezone, level 35
Mirror Shot
Thunder Wave
Electro Ball
SonicBoom

Last edited:

My newest Gen V team. I would love any feedback, especially about Gorebyss and Gallade.

Gorebyss
-Shell Smash
-Baton Pass
-Scald
-Ice Beam

Mienshao
-Fake Out
-Me First/ Dual Chop (I can't decide)
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stone Edge

Rotom (Heat Form)
-Overheat
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ground
-Shadow Ball

Gallade (EVs: 200 Hp, 52 Atk, 252 Sp. Def)
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Shadow Sneak

Galvantula
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball
-???? (NEED HELP)

Zoroark
-Dark Pulse
-Extrasensory
-Flamethrower
-Nasty Plot

Opinions on Castform

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, which I think it is, but I cannot work out where else it should go; if it is, can mods move it for me?

Just wanted to know, as I am planning to use Castform in GenV for training, and I want to know how powerful it is.

I have read up on Bulbapedia, and I have concluded that it will know the moves fireblast/overheat, hydro pump, blizzard and thunder* and will possibly use it as my main pokemon.

*This can be changed, just any suggestions are great!

For a team, I was thinking Tornadus, Klinklang, Castform and three others...any good suggestions for an all round team with these in, with the best moves to use would also be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

Re: Opinions on Castform

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, which I think it is, but I cannot work out where else it should go; if it is, can mods move it for me?

Just wanted to know, as I am planning to use Castform in GenV for training, and I want to know how powerful it is.

I have read up on Bulbapedia, and I have concluded that it will know the moves fireblast/overheat, hydro pump, blizzard and thunder* and will possibly use it as my main pokemon.

*This can be changed, just any suggestions are great!

For a team, I was thinking Tornadus, Klinklang, Castform and three others...any good suggestions for an all round team with these in, with the best moves to use would also be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

Castform is good provided element boost moves such as sunny day, rain dance etc. are used as it boosts the attack power of fire and water moves. there may be an item to boost element attacks as well so you could use to both at the same time.

Thank you Shiny Heatran! What moves would you recommend?

Keep in mind that its stats are very low. A list of a few powerful moves doesn't mean the Pokemon itself is powerful. I think the best option is to run it on a Rain team and give it moves such as Weather Ball (or Hydro Pump) and Thunder. Or you could run it on a Sun team and give it moves such as Fire Blast/Flamethrower and Solarbeam. Unfortunately, its moves are also pretty limited. If you're set on running Castform, make sure you are smart with your switches or it will probably prove to be deadweight.

If possible, Drizzle Politoed is your best team member for a Rain team, and Drought Ninetales is best for a Sun team.

Good luck with your training!

Thanks guys. I will have to think about it some more. I was hoping castform to be a Ice, Water and Fire type pokemon, then something like Klink, Servine, that sort of thing. I am mixing stuff up and seeing what I can come up with. What is Kecleon like?

Ingame. Considering it for a Gen IV or Gen V team at somepoint.

Thank you Shiny Heatran! What moves would you recommend?

While the weather is calm, foggy, a sandstorm, or Shadow Sky, it is in Normal form and is a Normal type.
While the weather is sunny, it is in Sunny Form and is a Fire type.
While the weather is rain, it is in Rainy Form and is a Water type.
While the weather is snow or hail, it is in Snowy Form and is an Ice type.

I would run it as either a normal or rainy one with it knowing weather ball, hydro pump, thunder and possibly rain dance provided it is not already being used by another team member

Thanks guys. I will have to think about it some more. I was hoping castform to be a Ice, Water and Fire type pokemon, then something like Klink, Servine, that sort of thing. I am mixing stuff up and seeing what I can come up with. What is Kecleon like?

If your planning on that make sure other members of your team know rain dance, sunny day and hail. and then teach castform weather ball, hydro pump, fire blast and blizzard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom