• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: Opinions on Castform

I'd say Kecleon is more useful than Castform. It takes a bit of strategy to use, since it doesn't learn very many strong attacks and it's constantly changing type, but its special bulk and decent attack power makes for a nice combination. It learns quite a few good support moves too.

Is there a way to keep it as a rainy type? Also, what other pokemon would you recommend if I am doing this in platinum say?

(Sorry if I do not reply until tomorrow, as I am going to bed soon!)

Is there a way to keep it as a rainy type? Also, what other pokemon would you recommend if I am doing this in platinum say?

Unfortunately Castform can only stay as a certain type if that weather condition is up. It's a bit trickier to use in Platinum, since Drought and Drizzle could only be found on Groudon and Kyogre respectively. In that case, I'd give it as many powerful moves as you can, especially if it's just for in-game use.

Only if you use rain dance during the battle as it will convert to that type afterward.

Galactic said:
Thanks guys. I will have to think about it some more. I was hoping castform to be a Ice, Water and Fire type pokemon, then something like Klink, Servine, that sort of thing. I am mixing stuff up and seeing what I can come up with. What is Kecleon like?"[/Galactic]

If your planning on that make sure other members of your team know rain dance, sunny day and hail. and then teach castform weather ball, hydro pump, fire blast and blizzard.

Re: The In-Game Team Review Thread

Thanks guys. I was just a bit confused as I read something somewhere saying there is a way to freeze its form to one form depending where you capture it...

looking for someone to rate my HG team .
1 female chikorita, (not shiny)
2. female charmander (shiny)
3 female sheildon (not shiny)
4 male EEVEE (shiny)
5 male huntail (shiny)
6 female dratini (shiny)

My planned W2 and B2 Teams

White 2:
Samurott (Destiny)
Persian (Not decided)
Arcanine (Ignissil)
Jolteon (Friend)
Haxorus (Wrath)
Skarmory (Spikister)

Black 2 (If I find it, meow)
Serperior (Serpante)
Charizard (The 'Zard)
Empoleon (Defend)
Altaria (PuffCloud)
Umbreon (Nightly)
Lucario (Shuriken)

Are they good? I'll ost my Pearl team later.

For Black 2, I would go for Typhlosion (Fire), Torterra (Ground/Grass), Luxray (Electric/Dark), Glaceon (Ice), Klinklang (Steel), and Samurott (Fighting) as you have almost an all round team that way, and Snivy is not the best starter.

On black 2 I currently have level 37 emboar , level 32 jolteon, level 34 leafeon, and level 34 tiryoga. Just earned my 5th badge n am looking for party recommendations .

Because I recently put a new internal battery in my Crystal Version, I was able to play it again, and I've been doing just that (on my good ol' Game Boy Color, no less) for the past few days. Just last night, I defeated the Pokémon League and tweeted up a storm about. Now that I'm about to set foot in Kanto proper, I might as well divulge the details of the team I used (and am still using, XD).

One thing I want to point out: I was definitely not going for the best team one could ever have. I was just using what I felt like using, and generally enjoying the ride. Anyway...

Spr_2c_157.gif

Typhlosion Lv.39 ♂
Item: Amulet Coin

Fire Punch
ThunderPunch
Sunny Day
Headbutt
The quintessential starter of any in-game team. I mostly picked Cyndaquil in honor of the Typhlosion I had in Silver years ago, one that I had trained up to Lv.92. Anyway, once this one finally became a Typhlosion (he was still a Quilava in the Blackthorn Gym, XD), he became an absolute beast, especially since I could teach him those two punches you see (yay for them being Special-based until D/P!).

Spr_2c_162.gif

Furret Lv.39 ♀
Item: Pink Bow

Headbutt
Quick Attack
Shadow Ball
Mud-Slap
Pretty much the rest of my team consists of Pokémon that I have never actually raised before, at least in GSC. Furret is one of them. I know a lot of people deride Furret as garbage (along will all other regional rodents), but this little cutie was surprisingly decent. Little protip with Furret: stick with physical moves. Headbutt was a real nice STAB for making things flinch left and right, I must say. XD

Spr_2c_176.gif

Togetic Lv.39 ♂
Item: Sharp Beak

Metronome
Fly
Sweet Kiss
Charm
Surprisingly enough, I never actually raised a Togepi in GSC. Probably because I didn't have the patience to wait for it to be happy enough with me to evolve. When I finally did, I eventually came to realize just how... bad its movepool was in the earlier games. Sure, Metronome is more fun than a barrel of monkeys, but still. At least he can Fly me to and fro, right?

Spr_2c_024.gif

Arbok Lv.39 ♂
Item: Soft Sand

Sludge Bomb
Earthquake
Strength
Glare
This here snake was incredibly difficult to raise at first, due to his utter lack of good moves. Then he picked up Headbutt and became decent. Then he picked up the powerful, STAB-enforced Sludge Bomb later on. Now he's a solid member of my team. I also slapped Dig and later Earthquake on him because I thought it would be funny to watch a Poison-type kill some Steel-types. XD

Spr_2c_047.gif

Parasect Lv.39 ♀
Item: Quick Claw

Fury Cutter
Slash
Spore
Sweet Scent
I was looking for a good Bug-type in the Bug-Catching Contest, and because I was running out of time and patience (those Scyther and Pinsir just refused to come out), I settled for a rather high-level Paras I had come across. She doesn't have the best movepool, but by using her resistences, decent bulk, and Spore, I was able to achieve some monsterously powerful Fury Cutters that left an evil smile on my face. Heheheh.

Spr_2c_245.gif

Suicune Lv.42
Item: NeverMeltIce

Surf
Waterfall
Icy Wind
Aurora Beam
I needed something to use the various Water-type HM moves, and since Suicune was right in front of me, I figured: Why not? Then I actually had to depend on this thing against Lance, since it had access to Ice-type moves. This monster needed very little training and support to be able to sweep those Dragonite, I tell you what. Then again, would you really expect anything less from the legendary Suicune?

So yeah, that's my team.

Ever since gen iii I've been obsessed with Breloom... Like to boost it up with baton pass Shedinja so it outspeeds and sleeps everything with spore then cracks heads with Focus Punch and Seed Bomb! ... Of course due to PP restrictions I end up using other pokemon out of necessity (though I have to been known to farm leopard berries in fiendishly high amounts). To everyone above, honestly it's not a huge deal what you use in-game unless you're in a battle frontier or its equivalent, use what makes you happy! Breloom makes me happy.... Oh Breloom

I'm playing through White 2 for the first time and this is my planned team...

503.png

Samurott — @Razor Claw

Ice Beam
Dragon Tail -OR- Aqua Tail
X-Scissor
Surf

637.png

Volcarona — @Charcoal

Flamethrower
Signal Beam
Will-O-Wisp
Fly

306.png

Aggron — @Quick Claw

Iron Head
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Strength

181.png

Ampharos — @Leftovers

Discharge/Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Confuse Ray
Focus Blast

197.png

Umbreon — @TwistedSpoon

Screech
Faint Attack
Toxic
Psychic

407.png

Roserade — @Big Root

Giga Drain
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb

I'm pretty much set on these Pokémon but I can part with Aggron if there are better suggestions. Typically, I like to fit Strength/Surf/Fly into my team and have the other HMs go on HM Slaves so I'm keeping the HMs where they are. Overall, though, is this a decent team for type coverage/weaknesses/etc?

Interesting team. I would have gone with a non-legenday Water-type, though. Kinda takes the fun out of the game for me.

Pokemon Team Recommendations

I'm looking for a Pokemon that suites my team well with balanced resistances and weakness while having decent stats.
I would also appreciate it if you would leave a moveset along with the recommended Pokemon. I'm also deciding on to keep Haxorus and
Honchkrow or to replace them with just a Dragonite. Help me out here?

My Current Team:

Infernape - Fire/Fighting
Rampardos - Rock
Roserade - Grass/Poison
Haxorus - Dragon
Honchkrow - Dark/Flying

I can't defeat Clair!

So I have

Feraligator: Level 36
Ice Fang
Surf
Cut
Crunch

Pidgeot: Level 36
Fly
Sand Attack
FeatherDance
QuickAttack

Haunter: Level 36
Curse
Shadow Ball
Mean Look
Hypnosis

Growlithe: Level 36
Flame Thrower
Strength
Bite
Reversal

Every Pokemon game I have played in the past, I just had one Pokemon that I leveled and he went through the game quite smoothly
without hassle.

So lately I have been playing the games the correct way, with more than one Pokemon. In Pokemon Heart Gold, the game I'm currently playing
I am using four.

I just don't see there being a way to beating Clair the way my Pokemon are, I mean I would get Haunter to curse
Seadraw, but at the same time that would be if I could even get him to attack first! Anyone have any ideas what
I should do? I want to evolve my Eevee into a Jolteon because I think he would be a perfect fifth Pokemon being
a lightning type, but I haven't received any stones yet to do so. My Eevee is only level 10 by the way, I would
have to grind like hell.

Anyway, anyone have any tips? Strategies? Good places to train? Anything?

Re: I can't defeat Clair!

@Kelphy;

Well firstly battle EVERY trainer you see. I used to skip trainers all the time but since I've been battling every one I've been way better off. Don't be afraid to use your proteins, irons, etc. to help boost stats. Evolve your haunter (I can give you my pal code and I can help you do so if you'd like) and I can buy you a Firestone and Thunderstone and send them over to you if you'd like. As for your team Gengar and Feraligatr are both nice Pokemon. Growlithe is awful (I always use Arcanine) so when he's an Arcanine you'll be set. I wouldn't recommend Pidgeot truth be told. I'd try out Crobat, I used one and man it worked some wonders. Maybe even a Psychic type instead? I'd also suggest getting a Jynx and leveling it up in the day-care as a backup for Clair or even a Mamoswine. I'd also get a good fighting type for the elite four, other half, and very last battle. I personally like Heracross or Hitmonlee. Hitmonchan is the more defensive option. I might not be completely right on everything but I'm just going off what I've read and expierienced. Don't be afraid to use your TMS as well. I put Avalanche on my Gyarados and it works perfectly because if you put it on a slower Pokemon they'll generally go second and it'll always do double the damage! Good-luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to replay Blue sometime soon, so I want some advice for my team. Also, please no Pokemon that the rival uses, because I don't like doing that.

Here's my planned one:

Blastoise
Surf
Ice Beam
Earthquake
Skull Bash

Dragonite

Fire Blast
Surf
Blizzard
Hyper Beam (I use it because I don't have to recharge if I KO an opponent)

Victreebel

Razor Leaf
Toxic
Wrap
Swords Dance

Magneton

Thunderbolt
Swift
Thunder Wave
Mimic

Flareon

Body Slam
Flamethrower
Rest
Swift

Jynx

Psychic
Ice Beam
Lovely Kiss
Bubble Beam

Help with my gen 4 team?

I'm trying to put together a good team and am looking for some input with my teams weaknesses, Pokemon that shouldn't be there, etc.
Any and all advice is appreciated. My team is still a work in progress and so im open to suggestions. Thanks!

My team: Blaziken lvl 67
-Blaze kick
-Sky uppercut
-Stone edge
-Earthquake

Empoleon lvl 67
-Surf
-Hydro pump
-Ice Beam
-Drill peck

Dragonite lvl 65
-Roost
-Dragon dance
-Fire blast
-Outrage

Jolteon lvl 63
- Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Toxic
-Thunder wave

Gengar lvl 65
-Hypnosis
-Dream eater
-Dark pulse
-Destiny bond

Staraptor lvl 62
-Endeavor
-Fly
-Brave bird
-Close combat

Re: Help with my gen 4 team?

I'm trying to put together a good team and am looking for some input with my teams weaknesses, Pokemon that shouldn't be there, etc.
Any and all advice is appreciated. My team is still a work in progress and so im open to suggestions. Thanks!

My team: Blaziken lvl 67
-Blaze kick
-Sky uppercut
-Stone edge
-Earthquake

Empoleon lvl 67
-Surf
-Hydro pump
-Ice Beam
-Drill peck

Dragonite lvl 65
-Roost
-Dragon dance
-Fire blast
-Outrage

Jolteon lvl 63
- Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Toxic
-Thunder wave

Gengar lvl 65
-Hypnosis
-Dream eater
-Dark pulse
-Destiny bond

Staraptor lvl 62
-Endeavor
-Fly
-Brave bird
-Close combat

It's somewhat redundant to have two Water-moves on Empoleon, so I would replace Hydro Pump with some other move, like Earthquake. Dragonite should have Fire Punch instead of Fire Blast, Fire Punch gets the Dragon Dance boost, and you can get at a move tutor or with a move relearner. Gengar does not have any STAB, so I would replace Dark Pulse or Dream Eater with Shadow Ball. Since Staraptor is somewhat frail, it can't use Endeavor well, and you would be better off with a Normal move like Return. You should use another Pokemon that's not on your team to use Fly with- Staraptor is a very good user of U-turn.

Back
Top Bottom