• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Wobbuffet: What's the best moveset?

I looked and couldn't find any other threads that answered this question: What do you all think is the best moveset for a regular (Shadow Tag) Wobby?

Of the potential 6 moves it can have (splash is useless and i'm not including event-exclusive tickle), I can only teach it four and i want to know which work best together?

(I'm thinking Counter and Mirror Coat are practically given.)

All Steel Team

Hello,

I've been playing X and Y and have been trying to put together a good Steel-Type team. I have figured out that I should at least have a Metagross but I can't figure out what would make a good team. Can anyone help?

I played through the main quest with Fennekin and Froakie. Now, I want to try Chespin. I would like help building an in-game team, with Chesnaught as my main Pokémon, and one of the Kanto starters as a back-up. Any suggests would be appreciated.

I played through the main quest with Fennekin and Froakie. Now, I want to try Chespin. I would like help building an in-game team, with Chesnaught as my main Pokémon, and one of the Kanto starters as a back-up. Any suggests would be appreciated.

For Kanto starters I would think Squirtle would compliment Chespin well since it resists fire and ice which Chespin's weak too and Chespin resists Squirtle's weaknesses. Mega Blastoise hits like a tank and slaughters most of the elite 4 with with right moves.

Chesnaught is also weak to flying and psychic you would do well to get a pokemon to deal with both. Honedge can take them easy but getting a dusk stone could be troublesome and other steel types work just fine but Honedge is the earliest available steel type and becomes the amazing aegislash. If you're really keen on aegislash I could trade you a dusk stone since I've currently got quite a few of them. My Friend Code is in my signature and you can send me yours if you're interested.

Tyrunt and its rock type does well against flying types and strong jaws biting moves can easily deal with psychics provided you can out speed them or survive a hit.

Overall I recommend pokemon who can be caught and raised early for an efficient run. Fletchling is also good which I'm sure you're aware of. Ralts is also good since it is available early (though a bit rare) and Gardevoir is very powerful once you hit Laverre city and you can get moonblast. It's very good against team flare once it gets its STABs running since most of team flare's pokemon are weak to fairy or psychic.

Last edited:
This is my battle box team. It generally serves me well in random matchup free battles (double);
Gliscor (F): Impish, Sand Veil, 31/31/31/x/x/31, Sky Uppercut, Bulldoze, Aerial Ace, X-Scissor
- I'm intending to replace this one with a new 5IV Immunity gliscor with Cross-Poison in place of on of the above moves. Overall this pokemon is great for killing Greninjas.
Infernape (M): Adamant, Blaze, Wide Lens, 31/31/31/x/31/31/31, Will-O-Wisp, Poison Jab, Focus Blast, Shadow Claw
- So far, Focus Blast has never missed when I use it. Sometimes I feel I need a proper fire move, but I can't think of a decent physical one.
Chandelure (M): Lax, Flash Fire, Spooky Plate, 31/x/x/31/31/31 Shadow Ball, Flame Burst, Minimize, Inferno
- My first Special Sweeper. I'm looking to replace it soon.
Sylveon (F): Modest, Cute Charm, 31/31/31/31/31/x, Light Screen, Reflect, Toxic, Moonblast
- My fairy tank. She does quite well in battle as a screen setup and serves to poison the foe. I feel a healing move would be a good toxic replacement though.
Pangoro (F): Hasty, Iron Fist, x/31/31/31/31/31, Hammer Arm, Crunch, Rock Slide, Shadow Claw.
- My original physical fighter, and another I'm looking to replace later. She doesn't see much action in battles.
Muk (F): Hardy, Stench, Black Sludge, 31/31/31/31/x/31, Rock Slide, Poison Jab, Dig, Gunk Shot
- With Fairies being quite prevalent (especially Sylveon) I decided Muk was a good choice as a physical tank, with decent attack power and two good physical poison-type attacks, any fairies sans klefki or Mawile will probably not last too long against it. Ideally I would have wanted one with a good special defense and low special attack, but this is what I settled with.

On standby I have the following pokemon either waiting in the wings to be EV trained and given their moves, or just waiting to be put on the team:
Alakazam (M): Quirky, Inner Focus, Alakazite, 31/x/31/31/31/31, Shadow Ball, Recover, Toxic, Psychic
Smeargle (M, Shiny): Bashful, Technician, Quick Claw, 31/x/31/31/31/31, Transform.
Blissey (F): Careful, Natural Cure, 31/x/31/x/31/31, Seismic Toss, Aromatherapy, Grass Knot, Toxic
- This one took a while to make but I think she could either complement or replace my Sylveon. Also WHY IS THIS NOT A FAIRY WHEN IT MEETS THE CRITERIA FOR THEM!
Shuckle (M): Careful, Gluttony, 31/x/31/31/31/x
- Another possible tank.
Emolga (M): Careful, Static, FLAWLESS
- Just a weak but flawless pokemon I want to find a use for.
Castform (F): Hardy, Forecast, FLAWLESS
- Another flawless yet gimmicky pokemon I want to make a use for.
Froakie (M): Jolly, Protean, 31/31/31/x/31/31
Ferroseed (M): Naive, Iron Barbs, 31/31/31/x/31/31
Deino (F): Rash, Hustle, 31/x/x/31/31/31
Shuppet (M): Jolly, Insomnia, 31/31/31/31/31/x
Sneasel (M), Calm, Keen Eye, 31/31/31/x/31/31

I figured out what my team will be. I feel pretty confident with it. I'm going with Chesnaught, Talonflame, Meowstic (female), Blastoise, Xerneas and Tyrantrum. However, I'd like some advice as to their movesets.

Last edited:
I figured out what my team will be. I feel pretty confident with it. I'm going with Chesnaught, Talonflame, Meowstic (female), Blastoise, Xerneas and Tyrantrum. However, I'd like some advice as to their movesets.

If I could make a suggestion, as far as Psychic types go, Alakazam (first that popped in my head) is far better than Meowstic. I used Meowstic on my first playthrough and I was disappointed.

And Xerneas isn't until near the end of the main game, of course. Sylveon is a great Fairy type to have until you get Xerneas.

Moveset ideas:
Chesnaught - I'd suggest maybe Wood Hammer, Hammer Arm, Earthquake, and maybe Spiky Shield/Leech Seed
Talonflame - I'd suggest Flare Blitz, Fly, U Turn/Steel Wing, and maybe Toxic
Blastoise - If you plan on using its Mega a lot, I'd suggest Water Pulse, Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, and Dragon Pulse as moves that take advantage of its ability. Besides those, there's also Surf and Blizzard/Ice Beam.
Tyrantrum - Crunch, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Dragon Claw, and Earthquake

Xerneas @ Pixie Plate:
Flash Cannon
Moonblast
Close Combat
Psyshock

Meowstic (Female) @ Mind Plate:
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Signal Beam

Chesnaught @ Fist Plate:
Brick Break
Return
Seed Bomb
Poison Jab

Talonflame @ Sky Plate:
Fly
U-turn
Flame Charge
Steel Wing

Tyrantrum @ Stone Plate:
Stone Edge
Crunch
Dragon Claw
Earthquake

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Surf
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Dragon Tail

I kept in mind their stats, Abilities, etc. However, I feel their movesets could be better, even though this is just an in-game team. I appreciate the advice I got, previously, but if more people could chime in, I'd be thankful.

Last edited:
Your set for blastoise is pretty good, I forgot it could learn dragon tail which is pretty useful on blastoise. Surf and water pulse have the same power in mega so it's a choice between convenience for surf and confusion chance for water pulse. The other attacks are just perfect for mega blastoise

For talonflame you may want to use flare blitz instead of flame charge since flame charge is pretty weak and talonflame doesn't want to receive a counter attack. It can relearn flare blitz at the move relearner and heart scales are easy to find. I used acrobatics instead of steel wing for a powerful drawback free attack but I can see you might want steel wing to make talonflame your fairy slayer. That's your call but remember outside of dealing good damage to fairies steel wing is pretty useless on talonflame.

For Chesnaught you can replace brick break with hammer arm if you can find another heart scale or get to level 60 for more power, he's already so slow the speed drop won't amount to much. If not then brick break can work in the mean time. I sure hope poison jab is there to slay other grass types it won't be much use against fairies who are all faster and will blast chesnaught away before he can move. Though if you are using it to cover grass types you already have talonflame who can do it just as well if not better. Chesnaught has many options so you can run practically anything on him. Personally I'd run spiky shield or stone edge but it's your call.

Meowstic and Tyrantrum are spot on so you can leave them. You could try rock polish for tyrantrum and it can work if you can find space for it.

For Xerneas if you are running the story normally you probably won't see close combat since it comes at level 80. Use something like thunderbolt in the meantime.

While you are running through the game keep in mind what moves are available at the particular moment. Rock tomb is great on tyrunt until you can find something better, aerial ace is good on talonflame till you can get a better stab and so on.

Your set for blastoise is pretty good, I forgot it could learn dragon tail which is pretty useful on blastoise. Surf and water pulse have the same power in mega so it's a choice between convenience for surf and confusion chance for water pulse. The other attacks are just perfect for mega blastoise

For talonflame you may want to use flare blitz instead of flame charge since flame charge is pretty weak and talonflame doesn't want to receive a counter attack. It can relearn flare blitz at the move relearner and heart scales are easy to find. I used acrobatics instead of steel wing for a powerful drawback free attack but I can see you might want steel wing to make talonflame your fairy slayer. That's your call but remember outside of dealing good damage to fairies steel wing is pretty useless on talonflame.

For Chesnaught you can replace brick break with hammer arm if you can find another heart scale or get to level 60 for more power, he's already so slow the speed drop won't amount to much. If not then brick break can work in the mean time. I sure hope poison jab is there to slay other grass types it won't be much use against fairies who are all faster and will blast chesnaught away before he can move. Though if you are using it to cover grass types you already have talonflame who can do it just as well if not better. Chesnaught has many options so you can run practically anything on him. Personally I'd run spiky shield or stone edge but it's your call.

Meowstic and Tyrantrum are spot on so you can leave them. You could try rock polish for tyrantrum and it can work if you can find space for it.

For Xerneas if you are running the story normally you probably won't see close combat since it comes at level 80. Use something like thunderbolt in the meantime.

While you are running through the game keep in mind what moves are available at the particular moment. Rock tomb is great on tyrunt until you can find something better, aerial ace is good on talonflame till you can get a better stab and so on.

Oh, my team is all in between the 90-93 range. The moves I listed are what they currently know. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

I'm playing firered again and I've just arrived at Cinnabar Island. I want to have an aerodactyl or kabutops on my team but I don't know how to fit one in. The aerodactyl I got is mild natured and the kabuto is serious, both lvl 5, I've never really used kabutops or aerodactyl so I'm not sure about which is better to use. I'm thinking I'll either replace vaporeon with kabutops or venomoth with aerodactyl but I'm pretty set with my team right now so it feels like a tricky choice.

my team right now:
DESTROYER/Charizard/40
Mild
scratch
wing attack
flamethrower
metal claw

PLAGUERAT/Raichu/40
Mild
thunderbolt
quick attack
double team
thunder wave

ZILLA/Nidoking/39
Careful
horn attack
peck
poison sting
double kick

SUSHI/Vaporeon/40
Hasty
bite
surf
aurora beam
quick attack

MOTHRA/Venomoth/39
Rash
leech life
gust
psybeam
poisonpowder

PIGMONKEY/Primeape/39
Naive
scratch
cross chop
low kick
karate chop

I'm playing firered again and I've just arrived at Cinnabar Island. I want to have an aerodactyl or kabutops on my team but I don't know how to fit one in. The aerodactyl I got is mild natured and the kabuto is serious, both lvl 5, I've never really used kabutops or aerodactyl so I'm not sure about which is better to use. I'm thinking I'll either replace vaporeon with kabutops or venomoth with aerodactyl but I'm pretty set with my team right now so it feels like a tricky choice.

Personally I've never used any fossil pokemon in my kanto games since they come late game. Even less so in the remakes since they come at level 5. Anyway if you want to use one I would suggest using Aerodactyl. It may level up slower than Kabuto but its higher stats let it beat opponents faster so its probably easier to raise. You lack a pokemon who knows fly (strong in-game and convienent) which Aerodactyl can use if you are not keen on giving it to Charizard. Venomoth is a much more easily replaced pokemon than your Vaporeon which has much better moves. Kabutops has a better movepool than Aerodactyl but most of the moves it has over Aerodactyl are learned and used better by other members of your party. And it should be noted neither pokemon have natures that benefit them and Aerodactyl's defense is so low you probably won't notice a difference.

BTW your question shouldn't be in this thread. There is one for older games elsewhere on this forum.

Last edited:
678MS.png
Meowstic
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Calm
Held Item: Light Clay
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Thunder Wave
-Psychic

663MS.png
Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Adamant
Held Item: N/A (For Acrobatics)
-Flare Blitz
-Acrobatics
-Tailwind
-Uturn

553MS.png
Krookodile
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Impish
Held Item: Life Orb
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Aerial Ace
-Superpower

681MS.png
Aegislash
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Jolly
Held Item: Spell Tag
-King's Shield
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
-Swords Dance

003MS.png
Venusaur
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Quirky
Held Item: Venusaurite
-Petal Blizzard
-Sludge Bomb
-Earthquake
-Sleep Powder

646MS.png
Kyurem
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Gentle
Held Item: Leftovers
-Outrage
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-Substitute

Last edited:
Really need help with white 2, I'm at nimbasa city with magnemite pignite and sandile, 24 26 24 respectively but I'm finding it so difficult this run, I don't remember the game being this hard? The last time I played was black 2 on an emulator a few weeks ago so it wasn't too long ago, but are there any adjustments I can make to my team?

Last edited:
I need team advice for pokemon X. No ledgends and no rebreeding

Raichu
Naive
Thunder Wave
Flash
Thunder
Strength
Static

Delphox
calm
Psychic
WillOwisp
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Blaze

Pidgeot
Lax
Roost
Agility
Fly
Hurricane
Tangled Feet

Blastoise
Impish
Blastiosnite
Surf
Skull Bash
Water Pulse
Rain Dance
Torrent

Lucario
Hasty
Lucarionite
Aura Sphere
Dragon Pulse
Me First
Flash Cannon
Steadfast

Snorlax
Sassy
Chip Away
Rest
Belly Drum
Toxic
Thick Fat

Raichu: Unless your name is Galvantula use thunderbolt over thunder since it will miss exactly when you need it to hit. Try to fit grass knot in there somewhere it really bites into ground types that would wall your electric attacks. I'd replace flash since there are very few dark areas in the game.

Delphox: That will work alright.

Pidgeot: Replace hurricane with a normal STAB. Return is good since you probably had it for a while. Replace Agility with U-Turn since Pidgeot has 101 speed now and doesn't really need it. U-turn is good for breaking through sturdy among other tactical uses.

Blastoise: Needs ice beam and dark pulse. Does not need Rain dance and Skull Bash.

Lucario: I personally prefer a physical set but Special Mega Luke works just as well from what I hear. But you should get either dark pulse or shadow ball in there somewhere.

Snorlax: Earthquake and crunch are good moves for Snorlax to hit steel types. You could also use Heavy Slam if you haven't beat Diantha yet or want a fairy slayer. With a special Lucario Heavy slam is your easiest way out of mega gardevoir since it doesn't have focus blast.

I'm stuck trying to decide some natures for breeding certain pokes I would appreciate some opinions on which would be better overall

Mega Charizard X: Adamant or Jolly.
Mega Venusaur: Bold or Calm
Mega Blastoise: Bold, Calm or Modest
Goodra and Sylveon: Not sure which nature and play style is good since I've never used them and I've seen many ways to build them. Would appreciate suggestions based on experience.

I'm also gonna start breeding Mawiles soon. Should I try to go for 31 speed IV despite the 50 speed?

Last edited:
So that is my X team on it I plan to add a prankster meowstic to my team. Also how do I get light Clay

Last edited:
Need advice for battle mansion.
Singles
Charizard Jolly 255 HP/SPEED, perfect IV, Charizite Y, Flame Thrower, Protect, Flame Charge, Solar Beam
Aggron Adament, Rock Head, 255 A/SPEED, 5 IV, Choice Band, Head Smash, Earthquake, Iron Head, Double Edge
Cloyster timid, Skill Link 255 HP/SPEED, Icicle Spear, explode, spikes, rapid spin

Cloyster was a random lvl 100 I had pulled, Having a hard time filling that 3rd spot,

I accidentally posted this in the wrong place (forgot about this thread big time). So let's try this again with (hopefully) the right spot.

I'm restarting my spare Y version to try out some new things. While some Pokemon will remain, I'm trying some new ideas. So, at the moment, I'm mapping out the team layout, but I'd like some feedback/recommendations on it. Please don't start about IVs, as my understanding of them is very limited, though I may use Super Training if needed. And the recommendation of natures is fine, as it'll give me a target idea. Now, onto the main event.

UPDATE: Okay, I've been busy working on this. I'm currently up to Grant's Gym (but had to pause to let my 3DS charge, as well as take a little break), so my team has been mostly constructed. I'll probably tweak it here and there, trying to see what works and what doesn't. Any recommendations will be appreciated. So, anyway, here's what I've got so far.

Greninja (Quickstrike) (Starter)
Lv 37
Male
Ability: Torrent
Type: Water/Dark
Held Item: None
Nature/Characteristic: Quirky/Likes to thrash about
Stats: 114/93/56/89/77/118
Moves: Thief, Smack Down, Water Pulse, Water Shuriken
Notes: So far he's shaping out the way I want him to. I plan to do some Super Training with him once some of my EV berries have grown and I've gained enough of them. Obviously his attacking stats are only a few points shy of each other, so he can sway either direction atm, as well as being the fastest in my team. Plan to give him Surf once I get it. However, I'm open to ideas for him. Thoughts or recommendations?

Delphox (Wildfire)
Lv 38
Female
Ability: Blaze
Type: Fire/Psychic
Held Item: None
Nature/Characteristic: Quirky/Scatters things often
Stats: 123/65/63/100/93/105
Moves: Psyshock, Psybeam, Heat Wave, Mystical Fire
Notes: Another neutral natured Mon. Hatched from an egg w/ Egg Move (Heat Wave), as it hits harder and wider than Flamethrower (though not as accurate). Still, she's turning out well. Same as Greninja, plan to use some EV berries to reduce some of her stats, following up with Super Training. Psybeam will be getting the boot eventually, though I'm not sure if I should stick with Psyshock or go with Psychic. And since Psybeam will be forgotten, not sure what to replace it with. Any ideas?

Tyrunt (Rampage)
Lv 32
Male
Ability: Strong Jaw
Type: Rock/Dragon
Held Item: Soft Sand
Nature/Characteristic: Serious/Alert to sounds
Stats: 85/75/60/41/43/57
Moves: Dragon Tail, Bite, Dragon Dance, Bulldoze
Notes: I ended up with a lot of neutral natures in these guys. Hatched from an egg with Dragon Dance. Dragon Tail will be replaced once I get access to Dragon Claw. Will teach Rock Slide when able to. Will probably give it the Rocky Helmet later on, but that's up in the air. Any thoughts or recommendations here?

Floette (Melody)
Lv 32
Female
Ability: Flower Veil
Type: Fairy
Held Item: Miracle Seed
Nature/Characteristic: Serious/Highly Persistent
Stats: 88/47/44/65/77/53
Moves: Wish, Magical Leaf, Fairy Wind, Razor Leaf
Notes: Not much to say here. Will replace Fairy Wind with Moonblast. May teach Energy Ball. Not sure what else to use. Should I replace her with a different Fairy-type or not? Any ideas?

Fletchinder (Firestorm)
Lv 32
Male
Ability: Flame Body
Type: Fire/Flying
Held Item: Sharp Beak
Nature/Characteristic: Docile/Strong willed
Stats: 87/62/43/49/55/66
Moves: Ember, Roost, Quick Attack, Peck
Notes: Needed a Flying-type. Will replace Ember with Flame Charge when able. Will teach Fly to it when obtained. Might think about Flare Blitz later on. Planning to give it Shell Bell when obtained (especially since it helps mitigate Flare Blitz's recoil fairly enough). However, this guy is open to suggestions.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I ended up with each member having neutral natures. Sure, I like neutral natures, as it allows me to mold them anyway I want, but I'm surprised all five of them so far have ended up with one. Plan to do some Super Training after I get enough of my EV berries to use. And my final slot is open to suggestions. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'm slowly building up a battlebox party, and I would like to have a Snorlax on my Team but I'm a little torn between three outcomes for a Snorlax I bred.

Game being played: Y
Team:
Snorlax A [Shell Bell, Metronome or Muscle Band]
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Sassy
Level: 100
IVs: 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 14
Stats: 500 / 300 / 175 / 166 / 320 / 71
EVs: 158/176/36/0/140/0
Crunch
Block
Double Team
Return

Snorlax B [Assault Vest]
Stats: 500 / 300 / 175 / 166 / 320 / 71
EVs: 158/176/36/0/140/0
Crunch
Giga Impact or Earthquake
Power-Up Punch
Return

Snorlax C [Assault Vest]
Stats: 500 / 290 / 203 / 166 / 300 / 71
EVs: 158/136/148/0/68/0
Crunch
Giga Impact or Earthquake
Power-Up Punch
Return

My Original Idea for it was to use it as a lock-in threat against Pokémon who Excel at special attacks such as Charizard or whatnot. The basic idea (in my twisted, twisted head) is I use it to keep the opponent's special attack Pokémon locked in with it and have my way with them. Kind of like how in prison you might enter a room, hear the door shut and lock behind you and you turn around to see Big Bubba smiling at you. You know you're screwed then, and there isn't much you can do about it.

Unfortunately, it cannot take a physical hit well. Having it hold a Shell Bell would make it gain 1/8 the HP it takes from an opponent in damage, which thanks to its Atk power it can do a mighty impressive amount of damage on an opponent. Double Team would make it harder to hit, so that too could make up for its glass jaw for lack of a better word. Muscle Band would give it a little more punch, so that makes it even more damaging to the opponent as would Metronome provided the same move is used over and over.

I am also tempted to maybe make it a Assault Vest specialist. With Assault Vest I cannot use Block, Double Team or Curse, let alone any status moves. Luckily Power-Up Punch is a physical category move that has the added benefit of raising attack. The Assault Vest will add to its already impressive Sp.Def (but won't help it take physical hits any better :( ) which would allow it to stay in the ring a few rounds longer against Pokémon that's more adapt at using special moves than physical moves.

So, any suggestions or feedback on this?

Snorlax C gives it more defense at the cost of some Atk and Sp.Def, the latter of which it can easily spare thanks to Assualt Vest, but is it really worth it? How much of a impact does that really make in the long run?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom