• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

How does this lineup sound?

Florges 31/x/31/31/31/31 F BOLD
Petal Dance / Psychic / Moon Blast / Wish
Babiri Berry

Weavile 31/31/31/x/31/31 CALM
X-Scissor / Brick Break / Aerial Ace / Night Slash
no item yet

Mega Kangaskhan 31/31/31/x/31/31 ADAMANT
Scrappy, Outrage / Dizzy Punch / Sucker Punch / Reversal

Azumarill M 31/31/31/x/31/31 ADAMANT
Huge Power, Aqua Jet / Double-Edge / Play Rough / Superpower
Quick Claw

Crobat M 31/31/31/x/31/31
Infiltrator, X-Scissor / Brave Bird / Confuse Ray / Poison Fang
Life Orb

Avalugg F 31/31/31/x/31/31
Ice Body, Recover / Bite / Avalanche / Rapid Spin
Icicle Plate

I just recently started a new run of my Soulsilver copy, and I'm currently struggling to fill that 6th slot and debating whether or not to pick up Smeargle for a challenge. Trouble is with smeargle, I don't know what move it should first Sketch when capturing, and I also don't know what moves to give it as it levels up. I'll post my whole team I'm planning on having, but I need that 6th Pokemon and Smeargle set the most!

Frogger the Poliwrath
Water / Fighting
Damp (-.- Wish I had Water Absorb, but oh well.)
-Hypnosis
-Focus Punch
-Waterfall
-Surf / Brick Break

Raffelsia the Bellosom
Grass
Chlorophyll
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Attract
-Protect

Nadine the Nidoqueen
Poison / Ground
Rivalry
-Earthquake
-Poison Jab
--insert fighting type move here-
--something-

Totem the Xatu
Psychic / Flying
Synchronize or Early Bird
-Psychic
-Fly
-Shadow Ball
-Roost

Picasso the Smeargle
Normal
Own Tempo / Technician
-
-
-
-

??? the ???
???
??? or ???
-
-
-
-

Thanks in advanced for any advice!

Raichu: Unless your name is Galvantula use thunderbolt over thunder since it will miss exactly when you need it to hit. Try to fit grass knot in there somewhere it really bites into ground types that would wall your electric attacks. I'd replace flash since there are very few dark areas in the game.

Delphox: That will work alright.

Pidgeot: Replace hurricane with a normal STAB. Return is good since you probably had it for a while. Replace Agility with U-Turn since Pidgeot has 101 speed now and doesn't really need it. U-turn is good for breaking through sturdy among other tactical uses.

Blastoise: Needs ice beam and dark pulse. Does not need Rain dance and Skull Bash.

Lucario: I personally prefer a physical set but Special Mega Luke works just as well from what I hear. But you should get either dark pulse or shadow ball in there somewhere.

Snorlax: Earthquake and crunch are good moves for Snorlax to hit steel types. You could also use Heavy Slam if you haven't beat Diantha yet or want a fairy slayer. With a special Lucario Heavy slam is your easiest way out of mega gardevoir since it doesn't have focus blast.

I'm stuck trying to decide some natures for breeding certain pokes I would appreciate some opinions on which would be better overall

Mega Charizard X: Adamant or Jolly.
Mega Venusaur: Bold or Calm
Mega Blastoise: Bold, Calm or Modest
Goodra and Sylveon: Not sure which nature and play style is good since I've never used them and I've seen many ways to build them. Would appreciate suggestions based on experience.

I'm also gonna start breeding Mawiles soon. Should I try to go for 31 speed IV despite the 50 speed?

I know for Sylveon, I generally like to have

252 HP, 252 Def, 4 in whatever.

It maximizes her high HP, while giving her decent defense to withstand physical attacks and hit back. You can either utilize an attacking set with Calm Mind or a Wish Passing set. Oh, and Bold nature of course, Hyper Voice/Pixilate combo.

I know for Sylveon, I generally like to have

252 HP, 252 Def, 4 in whatever.

It maximizes her high HP, while giving her decent defense to withstand physical attacks and hit back. You can either utilize an attacking set with Calm Mind or a Wish Passing set. Oh, and Bold nature of course, Hyper Voice/Pixilate combo.

Thanks for that but I've already decided on and bred my Sylveon. Went with exactly as you said except since mine are Kalos bred I don't have hyper voice but I have 5 ivs instead :).

Is this a good moveset for mega mewtwo y?

Hello,im new to the forum's.So i don't know if this is the right place to post this,but its about the games.Is this a good moveset for mega mewtwo y?
-
Calm Mind - To overpower life orb mewtwo's
Psystrike - Strongest possible psychic attack for mewtwo
Fire Blast - To deal with certain types
Blizzard - To deal with certain types

Re: The most useful Pseudo in X?

I do not want to have more than 1 Pseudo in my team (since most of them are dragons and they became less useful thanks to fairies);

Candidates;
Garchomp; [Dragon Claw], [Dig], [Brick Break], [Poison Jab]
Salamence; [Dragon Claw], [Fly], [Earthquake], [Steel Wing]
Dragonite; [Outrage], [Wing Attack], [Earthquake], [Steel Wing]
Hydreigon; [Outrage], [Crunch], [Fly], [Flash Cannon]
Goodra; [Outrage], [Sludge Wave], [Flamethrower], [Muddy Water]

Which one of you'd prefer? Other team members are Delphox, Mega Blastoise, Gardevoir, Drapion. I'm going to decide 6th after I decide on my Pseudo.

I would honestly choose Garchomp or Salamence. Since you already have pokemon at level 40-ish, you're going to have to grind up your last member. And by choosing Salamence over Hydreigon, you save NINETEEN levels of having the middle evolution.

Idk, leveling speed is not always the best criteria to use. Plus you can just easy mode exp share it and probably be fine. But that's what I would do!

New member and Pokemon Sapphire help

Hello, everybody. My name is Sai and I'm new here. I used to be a fan of Pokemon and played as far as Black version. Then I lost interest for a couple of years. And now I have begun again with Sapphire.
I am about to challenge the league but I fear my poke's might be a bit weak. I need an opinion on them.

-Blaziken, LV.45 -Bulk up, blaze kick, double kick, slash
-Swellow, LV.45-Endeavor,arial ace, double team, quick attack
-Flygon LV.45-Dragon breath,dig,crunch,fly
-Aggron Lv.45-Iron tail, earthquake, rock tomb, take down
-Lunatone LV.45-Hypnosis,Psychic,Psywave,Future sight
And I tried to avoid it but-Kyogre LV.45- Calm mind, body slam, hydro pump, ice beam

I'd also like to know some training spots before the league to level up.

Thanks

Re: New member and Pokemon Sapphire help

Hello, everybody. My name is Sai and I'm new here. I used to be a fan of Pokemon and played as far as Black version. Then I lost interest for a couple of years. And now I have begun again with Sapphire.
I am about to challenge the league but I fear my poke's might be a bit weak. I need an opinion on them.

-Blaziken, LV.45 -Bulk up, blaze kick, double kick, slash
-Swellow, LV.45-Endeavor,arial ace, double team, quick attack
-Flygon LV.45-Dragon breath,dig,crunch,fly
-Aggron Lv.45-Iron tail, earthquake, rock tomb, take down
-Lunatone LV.45-Hypnosis,Psychic,Psywave,Future sight
And I tried to avoid it but-Kyogre LV.45- Calm mind, body slam, hydro pump, ice beam

I'd also like to know some training spots before the league to level up.

Thanks

It is a BIT on the low-levelled side. For reference, the first Elite Four's Absol is lvl 49, and it only gets higher from there.

But u more than make up for it with your variety. I had to go up against them with a monotype Poison. Imagine how tough that was! ^^

Good team, you should probably train up a counter to Phoebe, the League's Ghost expert. Blaziken and Kyogre can handle Sidney, Aggron and Blaziken can handle Glacia, Kyogre and Flygon can handle Drake, but you don't really have a strategy against Ghosts.

There aren't many good spots to train before the league. Victory Road wild pokemon are your best bet.

Gen-4 Battle frontier team

Hello everyone. My name is Sai and I'm new to the forum. I'd played pokemon upto Black version and stopped. Now i have started over and finished Sapphire.
I discovered my Platinum version and decided to challenge the battle frontier. As of now I have the silver prints of all facilities except the battle factory. I wanted to get some team suggestions for the Frontier to move up to higher streaks. Here's mine as of now-

Scizor@Razor Claw (not EV trained)
Technician
-Swords dance
-X-scissor
-Iron Head
-Night Slash

Garchomp@Dragon Fang (not EV trained)
Sand Veil
-Dragon Rush
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Giga Impact

Umbreon@Leftovers
HP-252 Def-6 Sp.Def-252
Synchronize
-Toxic
-Moonlight
-Payback/Return (not decided yet)
-Confuse Ray

So mainly I was looking at one Sweeper, one Tank and one Annoyer/Wall
Thanks in advance

EDIT: I have been trying real hard to even challenge Thornton (factory). Today I battled him and just barely lost.
Garchomp-Lapras-Roserade Vs Mamoswine-Latias-Vileplume
EDIT: Battled Thornton again. Lost even more horribly than before.
Blaziken-Rhyperior-Snorlax Vs Gallade-Kingdra-?
I'm starting to doubt if it is possible to beat him at all. Too much hax.

Last edited:
So, in Pokemon X, I'm currently at the 7th gym. My team desperately needs some adjusting, and I'm not quite sure what to do to fix it (besides leveling, but currently I've got the exp share on so grinding is less of a hassle).

Talonflame, lv 42
Sassy, highly persistent
-Flame Charge
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Gabite, lv 42
Sassy, likes to run
-Rock Tomb
-Sand Tomb
-Slash
-Dig
(I stuck this one in the daycare for breeding when I was bored, and when I got it back out, this is the moveset it had. They deleted Dragon Claw. I was annoyed.)

Gardevoir, lv 42
Sassy, somewhat stubborn
-Psychic
-Calm Mind
-Dazzling Gleam
-Thunderbolt

Blastoise, lv 43
Serious, mischievous
-Bite
-Surf
-Aqua Tail
-Skull Bash
(Same situation that happened with Gabite happened with this one. They ditched Water Pulse for Skull Bash.)

Chesnaught, lv 43
Serious, alert to sounds
-Spiky Shield
-Seed Bomb
-Rollout
-Mud Shot
(Another stupid daycare thing. They got rid of Leech Seed for Mud Shot.)

Raichu lv 44
Impish, strong willed
-Electro Ball
-Rock Smash
-Strength
-Nuzzle

Any suggestions as to what to do with these lovelies is much appreciated. Really the only one I would have issues with switching out of the team is Gardevoir. Thanks in advance :3

So, in Pokemon X, I'm currently at the 7th gym. My team desperately needs some adjusting, and I'm not quite sure what to do to fix it (besides leveling, but currently I've got the exp share on so grinding is less of a hassle).

Talonflame, lv 42
Sassy, highly persistent
-Flame Charge
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Gabite, lv 42
Sassy, likes to run
-Rock Tomb
-Sand Tomb
-Slash
-Dig
(I stuck this one in the daycare for breeding when I was bored, and when I got it back out, this is the moveset it had. They deleted Dragon Claw. I was annoyed.)

Gardevoir, lv 42
Sassy, somewhat stubborn
-Psychic
-Calm Mind
-Dazzling Gleam
-Thunderbolt

Blastoise, lv 43
Serious, mischievous
-Bite
-Surf
-Aqua Tail
-Skull Bash
(Same situation that happened with Gabite happened with this one. They ditched Water Pulse for Skull Bash.)

Chesnaught, lv 43
Serious, alert to sounds
-Spiky Shield
-Seed Bomb
-Rollout
-Mud Shot
(Another stupid daycare thing. They got rid of Leech Seed for Mud Shot.)

Raichu lv 44
Impish, strong willed
-Electro Ball
-Rock Smash
-Strength
-Nuzzle

Any suggestions as to what to do with these lovelies is much appreciated. Really the only one I would have issues with switching out of the team is Gardevoir. Thanks in advance :3

You don't need to replace any of your team just their moves. You should get some heart scales to teach you pokemon some of their good moves. They are easy to get wild luvdisc have them half the time and are pretty much the only thing you'll catch with an old rod. Get the tm for theif in camphier town, teach it to talonflame and your team will have much better attacks in no time.

Re: New member and Pokemon Sapphire help

Thanks for the reply (I didn't notice till now, lol)
About Sapphire- I got fed up of training in victory road, so I just darted into the league. Aaaaand I beat it with barely any difficulty!!! I had trouble with Glacia's Walrein which had a super-effective move against almost my whole team, and even Steven's Armaldo which got amazing stat boosts with Ancient power.
Now I've done everything i can- caught rayquaza, latias, and the regis. The battle tower is too hard, so meh.

Sapphire Archie battle

Can anyone help me and give me strategic ways to defeat Archie on the mountain where the volcano is?I have an lvl 30 grovle,I can defeat all of them but his Sharpedo.

Re: Sapphire Archie battle

Can anyone help me and give me strategic ways to defeat Archie on the mountain where the volcano is?I have an lvl 30 grovle,I can defeat all of them but his Sharpedo.
So, his team is Mightyena, Golbat and Sharpedo. These pokemon are somewhat stronger than the regular pokemon you've fought till now. If you are having trouble with sharpedo. must be because of its good attack stat and its ability-Rough skin. Lucky for you, its defenses are on the low side. Hit it with special attacks and get something with good defenses to tank its attacks. Again, he uses healing items when his pokemon are close to fainting. Good luck!

Re: Sapphire Archie battle

The obvious answer to me is train your Grovyle a few more levels till it evolves. Or get something fast and hard hitting to counter. As long as you're faster than it, and you hit it with a super effective attack it should drop like a brick. It's defenses suck, it is just fast and a mean attacker. If you're super lazy, I suggest just using an X Speed or two on your grovyle before the Sharpedo get's swapped in and wail on the thing with Leaf Blade. Also abuse potions, lol.

Battle Tower Help! (HG/SS)

Over the past month I have been challenging the battle tower at least once a day. I'm trying to get that trophy for the 100 win streak but my closest attempt so far has been 97 wins in a row. No small feat but truth be told I had a lot of luck in that run which hasn't repeated itself since. I even re-bred the team I used to get that far so they'd have better IV's and egg moves but I still can't quite get there.

This is the team I usually use in order:

Infernape:mad:Focus Sash
EV's 252 Speed 252 Attack 4 Def
Nature: Jolly
Moveset: Close Combat, Flare Blitz, Swords Dance, Thunderpunch

^ This thing can usually take at least one Pokemon down with it, sometimes it can sweep a whole team if given the chance to setup.

Tyranitar:mad:Leftover/Life Orb/Choice Band
EV's 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
Moveset: Stone Edge, Crunch, Dragon Dance, Earthquake

^ I mainly send this out after Infernape faints in order to get up a sandstorm for my Garchomp to activate its Sand Veil ability. But Tyranitar serves me well in its own right.

Garchomp:mad:Yache Berry
EV's 252 Speed 252 Attack 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
Moveset: Outrage, Earthquake, Swords Dance, Substitute

^ I don't need to explain how good Garchomp is.

Anyway that's my team. I mainly have problems with bulky defensive Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Hippowdon. Still I usually scrape by. Most of my streaks have been with quick claw 1-hit KO moves or a focus sashed avalanche from a Pokemon who isn't even an ice type. That's stuff you can't really prepare for but any advice or suggestions for taking on the Battle Tower in Soul Silver would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been this stressed out in a Pokemon game since I took on Purity Forest in the original Mystery Dungeons.

Also I have been having some success leading with Gengar in lieu of Infernape.

Gengar:mad:Choice Specs/Life Orb
EV's 252 Speed 252 Special Attack 4 Def
Nature: Timid
Moveset: Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Destiny Bond

It out-speeds most Pokemon that can OHKO it barring Alakazam and Aerodactyl. And the Pokemon that Gengar can't take out himself can usually be brought down with him thanks to Destiny Bond. Still I prefer Infernape as its gotten me to much higher streaks.

Re: Battle Tower Help! (HG/SS)

I'm currently playing through Pokemon Y and I'm in the Frost Cavern, kind of wondering if I'm over-leveled and any other general opinions. I'm too lazy to add my sixth pokemon, who is just an HM slave, so I'm going to put in the five I use in battle.

Frogger [Greninja] (@ Amulet Coin)
- Ability: Torrent
- Quirky nature
- level 49
- Moves: Smack Down, Thief, Surf, Extrasensory

Eve [Flareon] (@Quick Claw)
- Ability: Flash Fire
- Lonely nature
- Level 49 (just a few EXP from 50- derp)
- Moves: Fire Fang, Flare Blitz, Dig, Bite

Fefe [Floette] (@Eviolite)
- Ability: Flower Veil
- Naughty nature
- Level 49
- Moves: Wish, Petal Blizzard, Moonblast, Aromatherapy

Bulborb [Venosaur] (@Black Sludge -I don't like to use Megaevolution)
- Ability: Overgrow
- Lonely nature
- Level 49
- Moves: Razor Leaf, Sleep Powder, Synthesis, Venoshock

EV Phone Home [Jolteon] (@Rocky Helmet)
- Ability: Volt Absorb
- Bashful nature
- Level 49
- Moves: Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Bite, Toxic

I'm not sure if this is good- but I've been leaving EXP Share on. I've been creating Fefe, Bulborb, and EV Phone Home as "supports" (I think) to Eve and Frogger (whom are my more offensive 'mons). Thoughts away~. *cough*Please.

6th pokemon

Hey there! So, I'm currently playing x and I'm at the part of the game in the poke all factory, meaning I have two gym battles left, and then the e4 and champion. Right now my pokemon are Delphox (43), Azumarill(42), Venusaur (42), Sylveon (42), and Unfezant (43). I'm trying to get them all to level 50 before the next gym. Does anyone have any suggestions for the 6th pokemon in my party? I don't want any fire, water, grass, fairy, or flying types. Unless it's a dual type, and I don't have the second type. For example, no talonflame, because I have a flying type and a fire type all ready, but klefki would be fine, since I don't have a steel type. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom