• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

@CynthiaLover I would have to go with the Mamoswine line or Kingdra.

For Mamoswine:
Earthquake
Ice Fang/Avalanche
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Strength/Rock Climb/Hail

For Kindra:
Make sure it has sniper and holds a scope lens
Focus Energy
Surf
Dragon Pulse
Ice Beam/Blizzard

-or- if you can do breeding you can go physical.

Outrage
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Return/Giga Impact/Facade/Focus Energy

Just some ideas

@Arcalargo I appreciate the help. Mamoswine ended up being my last teammate, and he helped me trounce Lance (and the Ice-type is my favorite type, after all, so that was an added perk to me). So thanks for the tips.

Anywho, now that I'm mostly done with HG (I still have to do Kanto, but due to my resentment of said region, I might skip it, at least for now), I'm working on a new idea. I want to do a manga-based run in my spare White version. Basically, I want to run a team similar to Black's from the Adventures manga, mostly for fun. However, I do know that there is a slight snare there. Said snare is Reshiram, who is a Black version Mon, not a White version one. So I need to find a Mon to fill up its slot for this run. I would like some suggestions. I've used many different Gen V Mons over the various playthroughs I've done, so I know a lot of their strengths and weaknesses well by now, but I'm having trouble thinking of a final member to fill Reshiram's slot for this fun-run.

In case there are those who haven't read the BW Adventures manga, Black's team consists of Emboar, Braviary, Musharna, Caracosta, Galvantula, and Reshiram. But, as I said before, Reshiram is Black-exclusive, so using it is out of the question. Plus I tend to have a strict no-legend policy, as I feel it makes the game unbalanced, so even if I could obtain it before post-game I wouldn't use it. So I need some help figuring out a final teammate to fill that slot. I know this team isn't exactly "balanced" (manga-based teams rarely are), so I want the final member to fit in nicely while also not expanding any shared weaknesses/types that are already present. So this is where I need some help. What Mon should I use to fill in that empty slot that would work well with the rest of the gang? I'm pretty much open to all suggestions, and since I've used a lot of different Gen V Mons in past runs, I know of many of their strengths/weaknesses. But any and all suggestions are welcome, including moves, abilities and held items. Thanks in advance.

Out of curiosity, if you all had to choose between Swellow and Altaria for ORAS to raise as the team's Flying type, which would you choose and why?

My current team has a Combusken, Grovyle, Spheal, Cosplay Pikachu and Swellow.

The Swellow I caught, as a Taillow, has Boomburst and I recently taught it Brave Bird through the move reminder in Fallarbor. However, the thought of catching a Hyper Voice Swablu is pretty charming, as is possibly owning an Altaria. I'm stuck XD

My choice would depend on which of your team would hold the mega stone. I would recommend Mega Altaria over Swellow, but if you are going to use Blaziken or Sceptile as your mega evolution, then I would choose Swellow over Altaria.

Altaria. Swellow is fast, but that's about it. Altaria makes a decent wall and Mega Altaria is good at both attacking and defending for physical and special and has a more diverse movepool.

Thanks @Bob Fizzle & @Mr. Famous (I'm a fan of the Battle Network series too!). I'm going to try something different and go with Altaria this time around. Thus begins the tedious task of raising a Swablu :confused:. The in-game reason will be that my Swellow found love and passed on her flying shrieker duties to Swablu :p.

However, now I have a new question. I've also done a new game in my White 2 (Gotta be kept over until Ultra Moon :D) and I wanted to know what you all recommend for a Fire type (it can also be outside the three I list below).
As of my now, my team is only Oshawott and Riolu and I'm still training for my first Gym Battle.

I've used Growlithe before and understand that it can have great coverage and utility-but all of those moves come pretty late, with the last one being learned at level 45. I'm not sure if I want to tout a Growlithe that long all over again. So I guess my choice is between Growlithe, the Chandelure line since they have insane Special attack come the final stage, and the level 35 Volcarona that can be caught in these games. Anyone recommend what I should go for?

I fear I'll get in trouble if I don't post this question in this thread so I'll ask.

I will be getting White 2 and doing a very open-possibility playthrough idea. As soon as I get the ability to trade (after beating 1st gym) I'm going to trade over 6 pokemon (no higher than lvl 15) and play through the whole game with them! I want the 6 pokemon to follow some kind of theme while being able to learn the necessary HMs (I never want to switch to other pokemon). Trying to think of a good theme and could use ideas. I am open to anything, even silly ideas. I have access to the first 5 pokemon regions to form this themed team!

One more question:
I'm currently playing White 2 and have arrived in Lentimas Town, and I want to give my Adamant Serperior another physical coverage move.

Her current move set is:
~Leaf Blade
~Glare
~Coil
~Aerial Ace

I'm looking to replace Aerial Ace with either Aqua Tail or Iron Tail, but I can't decide which would be the better choice for it as well as coverage. Advice, please?

Usually this thread is buzzing :(

My choice would depend on the rest of your team. Aqua tail lets Serperior beat fire-types but leaves it struggling versus opposing dragon- and grass-types, while iron tail lets you beat ice-types but has a hard time breaking past opposing fire- and steel-types. Blindly, I'd choose iron tail over aqua tail just for the chance to drop your target's defense and because coil makes up for the move's reduced accuracy, but it really comes down to which threats the rest of your team can or can't deal with.

I'm making a team for Pokemon Moon and I bred most of the teat except for Rowlet. The Pokemon I have so far are Pichu, Salandit (female), Togepi, Dewpider, and Rowlet. What Pokemon should I place in the last slot? I have all of the Pokemon that aren't legendaries and I'm not using any Ultra Beasts for the Pokemon Moon play through.

I'm making a team for Pokemon Moon and I bred most of the teat except for Rowlet. The Pokemon I have so far are Pichu, Salandit (female), Togepi, Dewpider, and Rowlet. What Pokemon should I place in the last slot? I have all of the Pokemon that aren't legendaries and I'm not using any Ultra Beasts for the Pokemon Moon play through.
That's kind of a general question with a lot of options. Why don't you add some criteria to it? Is there type coverage you're looking for? Physical or Special attacker?etc

That's kind of a general question with a lot of options. Why don't you add some criteria to it? Is there type coverage you're looking for? Physical or Special attacker?etc
I noticed that the team is missing a physical attacker, so I'll add a physical attacker to the team. I'm trying to make a team that can help Rowlet and cover's weaknesses when it fully evolves.

It looks like your team has adequate attacking options, so I'd suggest adding a support Pokemon as your 6th slot. Blissey would be a great option to fill the cleric role on your team, and it is fairly customizable in that role as well. You could use her to spread status to the other team, cure status on your team, set hazards, or even utilize some of her special attack stat and go offensive with her.
Also, as a normal type, she would be the only Pokemon on your team to resist ghost-type attacks.

I've just restarted AlphaSapphire and this is what I have in mind so far:
Blaziken:
  • Flare Blitz
  • Hi Jump Kick
  • Brave Bird
  • [4th move]
Shiftry (bred in X)
  • Feint Attack
  • Energy Ball
  • Rock Slide
  • [4th Move)
Aggron (Rock Head)
  • Iron Head
  • Stone Edge
  • Earthquake
  • Double-Edge
Azumarill (Huge Power)
  • Play Rough
  • Waterfall
  • Rollout
  • Ice Beam
I don't know what the last two slots should be. I've used Manectric (first playthrough), Gallade (first playthrough) and Flygon (Moon) recently, so they're out of the question. I was thinking of two Special or Mixed attackers.

Last edited:
I've just restarted AlphaSapphire and this is what I have in mind so far:
Blaziken:
  • Flare Blitz
  • Hi Jump Kick
  • Brave Bird
  • [4th move]
Shiftry (bred in X)
  • Feint Attack
  • Energy Ball
  • Rock Slide
  • [4th Move)
Aggron (Rock Head)
  • Iron Head
  • Stone Edge
  • Earthquake
  • Double-Edge
Azumarill (Huge Power)
  • Play Rough
  • Waterfall
  • Rollout
  • Ice Beam
I don't know what the last two slots should be. I've used Manectric (first playthrough), Gallade (first playthrough) and Flygon (Moon) recently, so they're out of the question. I was thinking of two Special or Mixed attackers.

Alright, well off the bat I see that your team is lacking several types such as Electric and Psychic (whom make for good Special Attackers). Since Manetric is out of the question, perhaps try the Magnemite line? They learn good special Electric and Steel moves, and Magnezone is available in-game. Also Steel is fantastic defensively, and the line can help you in several Gym Matches (notably, Winona through Wallace) as well as dealing with Team Aqua and Kyogre. It would repeat the Steel typing from Aggron though... Light Ball Cosplay Pikachu is an option too if you feel like going for something cuter, who can hit harder.

Gardevoir is an option too. The Fairy type would repeat though, but they're great special attackers who learn a diverse set of moves. Alakazam if you don't want to repeat the Fairy typing is another good choice (although physically frail). Claydol's attacking stats aren't great, but it can hit from either side of the spectrum. Its Ground and Psychic typing also add diversity to your team, as well as its bulk.

Froslass is another potential mixed or special attacker you could use, as well as adding Ice & Ghost to your team. It is a bit late game though, unless you traded over one early.

Kingdra has balanced stats that help it attack from either spectrum-additionally, its typing helps it not overlap with your Azumarill's weaknesses. Altaria is another choice for mixed or special attacker, given its move-pool and Mega Evolution. Salamence takes it step further by being an excellent mixed attacker, but is a bit tedious to obtain.

I don't know if you don't mind repeating types or not, but I'm going to assume you're trying not too. Given that and your request, these are the best options I can see in terms of fitting your criteria and what's naturally in ORAS's Pokedex.

Last edited:
I don't know if you don't remind repeating types or not, but I'm going to assume you're trying not too. Given that and your request, these are the best options I can see in terms of fitting your criteria and what's naturally in ORAS's Pokedex.
I don't mind overlapping types, so long as they have different roles (physical attacker, special attacker, etc) or don't share too many weaknesses. I'll look into getting a Baltoy (or Ralts, since there's lots of water-type trainers in Hoenn) and a Magnemite. Thanks.

Okay, I've finished my White run and now doing an Alpha Sapphire run (I've been very bored thanks to my weather-induced depression, and when I get bored and depressed at the same time, I get edgy). Anyway, was trying to map out a team for this run. I've started with a male Torchic (as per my tradition with Hoenn, and I just like it better), caught a female Ralts, sent over a mystery egg from Y which turned out to be a female Zangoose, and I just caught a male Electrike. I need some ideas and advice for remaining slot members and move sets. Feebas is already on my list for contenders, as I haven't used Milotic much lately and I want to use it, but the final slot is empty. And, again, I need some ideas for moves, especially for Electrike and Zangoose, as I've never used Zangoose before (I only had Sapphire and Emerald back in the day, but I did get an OR when released, so that helped fill in some gaps and such). So, simply put, who should the last 1-2 members of my team, and what moves do you recommend for pretty much anyone? I know I need a water Mon, which was why I was considering Milotic, since the times I have used the Mon it led me to plenty of victories (though, obviously, I need a water Mon to GET Feebas in general, so there's that). But any ideas would be helpful. I am also trying to not overlap types, which is why the Shroomish I was originally training got axed (plus getting it all the way up to 40 for Spore seemed like such a chore). So any suggested Mons must not overlap so I can limit weaknesses. Thanks in advance.

While I'm considering options for your 6th teamslot, which Pokemon are you planning to use as your mega evolution? Blaziken is far and away the best choice since it gets Speed Boost to go with its already impressive attack stat, but Gardevoir and Manectric are also both potent mega evolutions in OR/AS, and Gardevoir's set in particular changes if she is holding a mega stone.

Edit: so I'm going to hold off on some of the sets for right now because it depends on who is going to mega evolve, but here's what I came up with for your 6th team slot:

Your team has decent type synergy, but lacks a good defensive backbone, with most of the defensive work falling to Milotic. With this in mind, I reasoned that another defensively-oriented Pokemon would be best for your 6th slot. Defensively, your team would benefit most from having a ghost and/or steel type in the 6th slot (lol Aegislash), as both provide a much-needed poison resistance in addition to being solid defensive types.

Edit2: I somehow missed during my initial analysis that Manectric and Blaziken stack a ground weakness, and Milotic ends up pressured as the only ground-type check. With that in mind, the guidelines for a 6th team member are:
-poison resist
-ground resist/or immunity
-not electric weak (this one is more flexible because Manectric can be a switch-in to electric moves, especially if it has lightning rod)
And of course, these are not necessarily set in stone, but certainly aided my decision making in the below list.

-If Electrike/Manectric has Lighting Rod as its ability, I'd choose Skarmory as the 6th. With its unrivaled physical bulk and amazing steel/flying typing, it can soak up hits all day long, set spikes, phase opponents with Whirlwind, and even spread Toxic status around to make it much easier for Gardevoir and Blaziken to clean up. Unfortunately, Skarmory/Milotic gives your defensive backbone a shared weakness to Electric attacks, and while Manectric can switch into electric moves, it will get worn down very quickly without Lightning Rod providing that electric immunity (and special attack boost to boot). Even without Lightning Rod, Skarmory is still the best fit for your team because it also offers a much-needed ground immunity for Blaziken and Manectric.

-If you don't have Lightning Rod for Manectric, Excadrill is the next best choice, but unfortunately it is only available on Mirage Islands, so this one may be out. Excadrill also adds another ground weakness, so maybe you don't want to use this one.

-Dusclops is an incredibly bulky ghost-type (especially with Eviolite) that can burn foes with Will-o-Wisp and boost its special defenses with Calm Mind, offering it a way to sweep as well as stall with Pressure. Ghost type also gives a handy immunity to fighting types. Dusclops also can learn Ice Beam to act as a second ground-type check.

-Umbreon is also a great option to compliment Milotic, with excellent mixed bulk and the ability to stall out opponents with wish and toxic. It also has the option of running heal bell to cure all of your team of status at once, and Foul Play makes it not complete dead weight against physical attackers.

-While not quite in the same vein as the rest of these picks, Flygon is nice because Levitate offers your team a ground immunity, and its weaknesses are conveniently accounted for by the rest of your team. Flygon also has a decent speed stat to make use of U-turn to pivot out of things that threaten it. While your team isn't particularly concerned with hazards, Flygon can also offer Defog support to help with those pesky rocks.

-While not as bulky as the above options, Crobat is also a nice pick for your 6th slot for its ground immunity, poison STAB, pivoting ability, and access to a multitude of other utility and support moves such as toxic, taunt, and defog.

-I also considered mega Sableye for the last slot, but I figured your mega stone was likely to be taken by one of Gardevoir, Blaziken, or Manectric, so I left him off the list. However, if you are fine with leaving the mega stone off of those in favor of Sableye, I would rank this the highest on the list of defensive partners for Milotic.

As for a replacement water type until you can get a Feebas, I figured Whiscash or Tentacruel would be the best bet here, as none of the other water types really fit into your team IMO. Whiscash offers some nice defensive utility with its great HP stat and water/ground typing. However, it does struggle with its low speed and offenses, and it lacks any form of recovery outside of Rest. Tentacruel is probably the better choice here, being able to spread toxic (or toxic spikes) to the opposing team while also hazing away boosts. The jellyfish also has a much more usable special attack stat. However, it also has the same issue as Whiscash, lacking any real form of recovery.

As a bonus, have my notes that I compiled while analyzing your team and choosing a 6th teammate:

Blaziken
mega ultra chicken
physical
F S A T
fighting/fire STAB
stone edge coverage?
decent bluk, decent def typing

Zangoose
physical
Normal STAB
fighting/dark coverage
pjab for fairy
0 bulk

Gardevoir
special
Psy/fairy STAB
CM setup or fight/ghost coverage
paper bulk

Manectric
special
lrod if possible
Elec STAB
fire coverage (possibly HP ice)
QA if no HP ice

Milotic
balk
scald
water STAB

6th
wants bulk
pref ghost/steel type or ground immune
dark also gud

SKARM
SPIEK BOIZZ
BRAVEST BIRB
FAT STELLS
stacks weak to elec with Milotic (less prob if mane has lrod), no ground-type coverage

Fat excadrill (if trade)
EQ
steel coverage
stealth rock and/or toxic spread
MB gud ability

Frygon
decent bulk
ground STAB
weaknesses covered by fairy and fire chicken
ground immune for mane
can defog for setup sweepers
can uturn pivot

Dusklops
ghost
fat eviolite
cm/WoW amazing bulk setup
can restochesto or just rest and be fat
ibeam or dpulse for coverage

cactar
grass/dark gud type for team but nope
cactus is garb

Umbreon
fat cat
dark type good
heal bell support
wish/protect/toxic stall
can foul play for dmg

bats
fast pivot
defog
taunt
ground immune
poison stab is nice

ghost and/or dark
MSab (rip mega stone)

fat ground?

Last edited:
@Bob Fizzle Thanks for your help. I'm currently debating between Flygon and Dusclops, as both are Mons I haven't used in a while, so it would be nice to try them out again, especially with all the good stuff they have nowadays. Plus I want to stick to Gen 3 Mons for this run (though that includes Mons that evolve into/from Gen 3 Mons). And yes, Electrike does have Lightning Rod, so I have that in place. As for Mega, I haven't really thought it out much, but I did feel that Blaziken would be the best bet from the get-go. Besides, I have M-Gardevoir in my other AS AND in Y, so that might be overusing it at this point. Got any other suggestions for moves? But in any case, thanks again for your help, as I now have a better idea of what would work best.

Back
Top Bottom