• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Quick question. I'm planning on raising a Mareane in US for my Water-type, but I need a little advice. Since I've never raised one before, I need to know what would be an ideal nature, ability and move setup for it. I'm not looking for competitive layouts or whatnot, just a good combo of moves and such that'll get me through the game. I was originally planning on Wishiwashi, but I want to try something different, since I already used on before. Plus the Mareane line has more options available to it. So any advice would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Quick question. I'm planning on raising a Mareane in US for my Water-type, but I need a little advice. Since I've never raised one before, I need to know what would be an ideal nature, ability and move setup for it. I'm not looking for competitive layouts or whatnot, just a good combo of moves and such that'll get me through the game. I was originally planning on Wishiwashi, but I want to try something different, since I already used on before. Plus the Mareane line has more options available to it. So any advice would be nice. Thanks in advance.
In my Moon run I actually had some trouble using it as a water type. It didn't get that many good water-type moves till fairly late on, so that was a bit of an issue . Offensively it's also not that strong, but it defences on the other hand... I'd say depending on how you want to run it, get it a nature that either boosts it's Def/SpDef, or its Attack or SpcAtt. Its best water type STAB move is for most of the main-game Scald, so a Quiet nature would be helpful in that case. But I think anything that lowers its Speed should be alright. Sadly Liquidation is still not available fairly early on, despite it being a move tutor now. I also dunno if you're just catching one or if you're gonna breed one?

In my Moon run I actually had some trouble using it as a water type. It didn't get that many good water-type moves till fairly late on, so that was a bit of an issue . Offensively it's also not that strong, but it defences on the other hand... I'd say depending on how you want to run it, get it a nature that either boosts it's Def/SpDef, or its Attack or SpcAtt. Its best water type STAB move is for most of the main-game Scald, so a Quiet nature would be helpful in that case. But I think anything that lowers its Speed should be alright. Sadly Liquidation is still not available fairly early on, despite it being a move tutor now. I also dunno if you're just catching one or if you're gonna breed one?

Then I'll go with Quiet as a main goal, but I'll take anything that reduces Speed. I plan to mainly catch it, but if my luck in netting Corsola is bad (and my luck generally is bad overall), then I'll resort to breeding as a backup plan, since I do have a Toxipex stashed away in my Moon version (not one I raised, someone gave it to me). At least there are some decent move tutor moves for it, such as Water Pulse, especially since that move is available early, so I have so workable options to experiment with. Thanks for the advice.

Then I'll go with Quiet as a main goal, but I'll take anything that reduces Speed. I plan to mainly catch it, but if my luck in netting Corsola is bad (and my luck generally is bad overall), then I'll resort to breeding as a backup plan, since I do have a Toxipex stashed away in my Moon version (not one I raised, someone gave it to me). At least there are some decent move tutor moves for it, such as Water Pulse, especially since that move is available early, so I have so workable options to experiment with. Thanks for the advice.
No worries ;) i think I was fairly lucky encountering one, cause I had just been fighting a Corsola that had initiated an SOS battle, and the third appearance or so was a Mareanie. Not certain if Synchronise influences SOS allies but if it does, Abra is at least nearby, which should make the ordeal less frustrating

Toxapex is actually kind of frustrating to use in-game (for me, anyway, because it annoys me when I can't use things optimally) because some of its best qualities are hard to obtain on it. Regenerator makes it the most annoying defensive pivot in existence, and its amazing typing and bulk allows it to Haze on pretty much anything that sets up. Unfortunately, Regenerator is its Hidden Ability, but I would highly recommend at least considering breeding a male Mareanie with a female Surskit that knows Haze (Surskit learns the move at level 25) so you can send it out against the Totem Pokemon, Haze away their stat boosts, and then use Toxic and stall to victory.

A +defense or +SpD nature is always nice because it lets you wall things better and just generally be annoying.
As far as other moves go, I feel like you'd have more success with Toxapex by letting Toxic do most of the damage for it. Since Toxapex is a poison-type, the move has perfect accuracy as well, which is a nice bonus.
Scald is nice but not mandatory since this isn't competitive :p
Liquidation is nice because it drops the target's defense. It's not a bad option if you end up with a -SpA nature.
Venom Drench is a neat tech for the story since the AI hardly ever switches Pokemon, so you can just sit there and debuff their Attack, SpA, and Speed stats.
Infestation is a nice move to further stack passive damage on top of Toxic.
Protect is also a nice option for stalling for turns while toxic damage racks up, but Baneful Bunker can actually be counterproductive because it can apply regular poison instead of bad poison to the opponent.
Recover is recover. Enough said about that one.
Limber is also not a terrible ability because it makes Toxapex able to absorb Thunder Wave and Glare (which were actually quite common when I played through US), and even though it doesn't really care about the speed drop, missing turns due to Paralysis is always annoying. I feel like Toxapex generally doesn't have enough direct damage output to take advantage of Merciless, but I've never actually used Merciless Toxapex in a story run so I'm not sure how that translates in-game.

No worries ;) i think I was fairly lucky encountering one, cause I had just been fighting a Corsola that had initiated an SOS battle, and the third appearance or so was a Mareanie. Not certain if Synchronise influences SOS allies but if it does, Abra is at least nearby, which should make the ordeal less frustrating

If you want SOS chains to go faster, having a Pokemon with Intimidate, Pressure, or Unnerve out will make Pokemon more likely to call for help, even stacking with an Adrenaline Orb. Synchronize is actually super useful in SOS battles because if a Pokemon with Synchronize is in battle when a new ally is called, there is a 50% chance that wild Pokemon will have the same nature as your Pokemon with Synchronize.

I'm raising a Goomy for my Ultra Moon play-through (I know, I caved and am raising my favorite Dragon line twice :p). She's Modest in nature and I was curious as to any suggestions on her in-game move-set as a Goodra? She has the Gooey ability by the way, so no Rain Dance/Hydration/Thunder/Rest shenanigans...

While I'm at it, does anyone have any cool suggestions for a Decidueye (Adamant) and Pyroar (Timid, and first time raising one) in-game move-set?

I was fortunate enough to have adamant Rowlet the first time I played Moon. His set ended up being Spirit Shackle (@Decidium Z of course), Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, and the last move changed as I needed it to. U-turn works decently if he has a bit of speed investment, but otherwise his typing isn't the best for a pivot. I also used Brave Bird for a bit, but I tend not to use recoil moves that much. I think I ended up using Sucker Punch at the end because it's a nice priority move and the AI spams attacking moves 90% of the time anyway.

I was fortunate enough to have adamant Rowlet the first time I played Moon. His set ended up being Spirit Shackle (@Decidium Z of course), Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, and the last move changed as I needed it to. U-turn works decently if he has a bit of speed investment, but otherwise his typing isn't the best for a pivot. I also used Brave Bird for a bit, but I tend not to use recoil moves that much. I think I ended up using Sucker Punch at the end because it's a nice priority move and the AI spams attacking moves 90% of the time anyway.
Aww okay. That's not different from what I usually do. But glad to see great minds think alike.

I need a little advice on a future teammate of mine in UM. I plan to raise a Kommo-o, especially since it got so many good things added to its arsenal, but there is a slight problem here. If I were to go by my original plans, it would end up with a team of purely physical hitters, so I need to know if it would be better to diverge from that and make Kommo-o more Special-based. Do you think I should go along with that by making Kommo-o the special hitter of the group? Or should I even make him a mixed fighter? And if so, what would you recommend for moves, nature, and ability? I have a ways to go before I even reach Poni Island, but I want to get a setup planned so I can work toward it as a "primary" goal when the time comes. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, as I know this is bit of a tall order to fill.

Kommo-o is unfortunately really one-dimensional if you go the special route. I was going to suggest using Kommonium-Z, but you don't get that Z-crystal until after you beat the Elite Four the first time. (It can be found in the Plains Grotto, which is hidden away in the hills on the northern part of Poni Plains.)

If you care about Nature, I'd go with Timid as the nature of choice, followed by Modest. As far as moves go, Clanging Scales and Focus Miss Blast are all you really have for STAB moves, and you don't really have much choice in coverage moves, either, but at least you have Flash Cannon so you aren't completely scared of Fairies. Its only other worthwhile special moves are Flamethrower, Hyper Beam, and Hidden Power. I'd check what type of Hidden Power you end up with, because that may end up being the best option in the 4th slot, although it doesn't really get a lot of use out of using Hidden Power in the first place. HP Ice / Electric / Bug / Dark are probably the best options, but for the most part, Flamethrower will hit most things harder. It doesn't even get any boosting moves for its special attack outside of its Z-move and Work Up, and it can't really take advantage of status moves like Toxic or Roar.

Wow, I actually made myself sad and angry at how disappointing Kommo-o is as a Pokemon. Game Freak introduced a Z-crystal for its signature move, but it hardly even has a viable set to back it up.

Other options include Water Pulse, Shock Wave, and Hyper Voice. Shock Wave and Water Pulse are notable since they have the same BP Hidden Power would, but with additional effects (not missing and a chance to confuse). Hyper Voice meanwhile can hit the Fairies Clanging Scales cannot (but you may want Flash Cannon for that instead).

Kommo-o definitely has better physical options now, but I do think it has enough to make a Special set work in-game. Too bad you can't get its Z-Move before beating the game though :(

Another question-

I've been contemplating getting the Surf Pikachu in Poni, since I'm coming up on that island. I already have an Alolan Raichu currently, but this one will have Surf and 3 guaranteed perfect IVs too.

The thing is, it won't be able to use Nasty Plot and I'm a bit concerned about that. There have been several battles that my A-Raichu has been able to do well in because she could boost her Special Attack naturally. Thus, should I keep her? Or switch her out for the Surf Pikachu and get Alolan Raichu through that instead? Recommendations?

Ok so I'm building a team for just in game in soul silver, and was wondering if anyone could solve a dilemma for me.

I need a ghost or dark type to cover ghost and psychic but I can't think of any solution that doesn't have a major disadvantage. Obviously I can only do gen iv or earlier, and I have platinum so I can trade in from there, but no other gen iv games.

My team so far is: Golem, primape (traded), Lapras, Ampharos, fearow

The problem is every dark type apart from drapion, honchkrow, sableye or Spiritomb are weak to fighting, and Golem and Lapras are already weak to that. However I need a fast pokemon as otherwise I only have 2 which can outspeed being fearow and primeape, neither of which are special attack heavy, but having drapion means 3 weaknesses to ground (Drapion, Golem and Ampharos). However ghost types are annoying as I have to wait until late game for a mismagius, and Gengar is weak to both ghost and psychic, the two types I need to cover.

Any ideas?

Forgive me if this isn’t the right place for this kind of question, but I’m actually looking for help on naming one of my prospective teammates. Normally I don’t go by any kind of theme or system, but for whatever reason this time I’ve been naming all my Pokémon after Zelda characters. So I have Kaepora the Decidueye, Impa the Furfrou, Lady Maud the Arbok, Makar the Sudowoodo, Ciela the (pompom) Oricorio, Linebeck the Persian, Tetra the Lumineon, and Ravio the (soon-to-be) Wigglytuff. I was hoping to try out an alolan sandslash, and I know this shouldn’t matter, but I can’t think of a good name for one if I add it for this game. I can always put off using it, but I thought it might be a nice addition. Any ideas on a name? Either gender works, I just want it to make sense. I initially thought of using Fi, because its claws are reminiscent of swords and it’s color is blue, but other than that I don’t really think it fits too well.

Any help is appreciated.

So I've been going back and forth on my Ultra Moon team. My final team would look like this: Primarina, Zoroark, Espeon, Ampharos, Alolan Marowak and Tyrantrum. However, I was wondering if it would be better to put in a Mienfoo to raise instead. I'm still early in the game, but I've already traded one to breed my own. I'm debating over whether I should take out Zoroark, Alolan Marowak or just keep it the same because I've had most of the Pokemon here for awhile. I may just keep my team the same as it is, but I thought I'd ask for some suggestions just in case. I'd appreciate any help on the matter.

I'm currently playing Ultra Moon with this team:
Popplio
Rockruff (not sure how to evolve it in this version)
Grubbin (definitely staying)
Chimchar (from Poke-Bank)

just reached Verdant Cavern Pokemon Center, and am wondering if i should grab a Growlithe. Is Arcanine useful in-game?

So I've been going back and forth on my Ultra Moon team. My final team would look like this: Primarina, Zoroark, Espeon, Ampharos, Alolan Marowak and Tyrantrum. However, I was wondering if it would be better to put in a Mienfoo to raise instead. I'm still early in the game, but I've already traded one to breed my own. I'm debating over whether I should take out Zoroark, Alolan Marowak or just keep it the same because I've had most of the Pokemon here for awhile. I may just keep my team the same as it is, but I thought I'd ask for some suggestions just in case. I'd appreciate any help on the matter.

I just want to say that having a Zorua/Zoroark for the Ultra Necrozma fight significantly tones down the difficulty (provided you don't break the Illusion). If that is something you're worried about, then I'd keep it. If not, then it is something I would consider replacing for your eventual Mienshao. Don't replace your Alolan Marowak unless it isn't holding a Thick Club (make sure to steal (Thief) one from the Totem if you still can!).

I just want to say that having a Zorua/Zoroark for the Ultra Necrozma fight significantly tones down the difficulty (provided you don't break the Illusion). If that is something you're worried about, then I'd keep it. If not, then it is something I would consider replacing for your eventual Mienshao. Don't replace your Alolan Marowak unless it isn't holding a Thick Club (make sure to steal (Thief) one from the Totem if you still can!).

I hadn't considered Ultra Necrozma. I only got to that point in Ultra Sun and I would have had a really hard time without my Incineroar using its Z-Move. Aside from Alolan Marowak, I wouldn't have a type advantage against it with my team if I did replace Zoroark with Mienshao. I was already pretty much set on getting a Mienfoo to raise, but I'll have to plan for that accordingly. I already defeated the Totem Marowak, so I'll just have to use Thief on some wild Cubone instead to find a Thick Club. I thought that I could find it through some other manner.

@LordHitchhiker Since you're playing Gen IV, you can get Misdrevious earlier than you think. Once you get the Secret Potion and give it to Jasmine's Ampharos, you'll gain access to the Safari Zone just west of Cianwood City (you will get a call from the warden when it opens). One of the "fields" that you can customize at the Safari Zone (the Forest section, to be precise) will contain Misdrevious, though like all Safari Zones, catching it requires luck and patience, but there is no step limit this time, just a ball limit, so you're free to hunt one down as long as you need to. Misdrevious is rare during the day but very common at night in that field, so you'll have an easier time at night than at day. You will have to pass the warden's "test" first before you can customize (as I'm not 100% certain the Forest zone is part of the default setup), but that "test" is just catching a Geodude in the Safari Zone, so it'll be cakewalk. So you can catch Misdrevious much earlier now thanks to that Safari Zone. You will, however, need a Dusk Stone, which DPPt can provide (and I think so can the Pokethon Dome, but I've never done it, so I don't know for sure). But the Safari Zone will allow you to gain early access to many different Mons that would either be late game or post game, like Lavitar, Murkrow, and so on, so it's your best bet. Hope that helps.

One or two level 100 pokemon from a previous game that has no status moves.

The trials have become challenging as ever. Unless grinding and overcoming those trials are rewarding enough, my opinion is that there's no point stressing over trials that prevent you from enjoying the game.

Back
Top Bottom