• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Please forgive the double post, but since no one has posted on this thread since my last post, I had no choice in order to ask my question regarding a future teammate. Now onto the question.

I'm replaying Alpha Sapphire and I was thinking of using Walrein as my Water Mon (with the added bonus of Ice, my favorite type). My question is this: what would be a good movepool/nature/ability for Walrein? I admit I haven't used one in a very long time, so my knowledge of its capabilities is rusty, but I want to try to use one for a change of pace. I did, out of curiosity, look up what Smogon had to say, though I was far from pleased at what I saw, as there wasn't a single "nice" thing said about it. So that's why I'm asking here. I'm even willing to use breeding methods, so egg moves are acceptable as well, though my options may vary there. So if anyone can give me a close-enough ideal moveset/nature/ability for Walrein, I'd be very appreciative of that. Thanks in advance.

@CynthiaLover Maybe Quiet nature? Walrein is slow, it doesn't need that much speed, plus its Special Attack is increased. My Spheal in AS has Thick Fat, which I really recommend to reduce damage from Fire-type attacks. As for movesets, maybe Surf/Ice Beam/Aqua Ring/Earthquake? Surf and Ice Beam for stab, Aqua Ring for recovery, and EQ for coverage (though runs off its weaker Attack stat).

@CynthiaLover Maybe Quiet nature? Walrein is slow, it doesn't need that much speed, plus its Special Attack is increased. My Spheal in AS has Thick Fat, which I really recommend to reduce damage from Fire-type attacks. As for movesets, maybe Surf/Ice Beam/Aqua Ring/Earthquake? Surf and Ice Beam for stab, Aqua Ring for recovery, and EQ for coverage (though runs off its weaker Attack stat).

I appreciate your suggestions. However, as I didn't get a response from anyone for a while, I went ahead with breeding one. Sadly, I had to play nature roulette, since the female Spheal I had from another AS had a bad nature (adamant, to be exact) and the other parent had a similar nature (Jolly), so I ended up settling for a Calm nature. I did get Thick Fat, however, which is why I ended up with the Calm nature, as, out of the 25 eggs, only one had Thick Fat, so I took that one. My Walrein, Zuzu, currently has the moves Surf, Ice Beam, Dive (I plan to remove that one once its purpose has been fulfilled), and Rest (she has a bad tendency to get status ailments). I tend to use the Rest/Chesto combo with her, since she's almost a magnet for status problems, though I've been debating using Sleep Talk so I don't have to use so many berries, though I admit it would be the first time I've used a Rest/Talk combo. Do you think that would work out okay? In any case, thank you for taking the time to help me.

I'm raising a Goomy for my Ultra Moon play-through (I know, I caved and am raising my favorite Dragon line twice :p). She's Modest in nature and I was curious as to any suggestions on her in-game move-set as a Goodra? She has the Gooey ability by the way, so no Rain Dance/Hydration/Thunder/Rest shenanigans...

While I'm at it, does anyone have any cool suggestions for a Decidueye (Adamant) and Pyroar (Timid, and first time raising one) in-game move-set?

Adamant Decidueye: Max affection + Scope Lense + Leaf Blade and you are just wrecking shop. 100% crit chance is a huge bonus.

When reviewing my team I made for Ultra Moon and playing the game, I noticed that my team with both Popplio Rockruff, and Gastrodon in it is very weak to grass type moves, and I need a Pokemon that can be a heavy counter to grass type moves and Pokemon. Any recommended Pokemon to use as a heavy counter? The other three team members planed are Drifloon, Grubbin, and Buneary/Aipom.

I know it's kinda late (and you've moved on), I'd do anything with Sap Sipper. Specifically a Goodra. Dragons are awesome to have defensively.
You could even do Modest or Calm depending on how you want to go about it. I would recommend Sludge Wave/Dragon Pulse (Draco Meteor)/(Flamethrower or Ice Beam - your pick)/(Toxic or Rest your pick) with Sap Sipper to boost off of grass types.

So I have most slots on my current X playthrough filled. I want my last slot to be a special wall to stand against Mega Gardevoir. My choice is either Aurorus or Klefki. Who's the more suitable choice? I picked Aurorus for slightly better special defense and decent offense and Klefki for better type coverage and Prankster/Status moves.

I'm currently in Cyllage City, but haven't entered the gym yet.

Last edited:
Well, walls are not my specialty, but I'm always up for a challenge:

Klefki:
Calm nature
Moves: (Toxic or Thunder Wave)/Calm Mind/Flash Cannon/Dazzling Gleam

Aurorus:
Calm nature again
Moves: Ice Beam/Hyper Beam/Ancient Power(get dat boost)/(Flash Cannon or Earth Power)

Just some thoughts.

Ah, dang, that throws a spanner into the works. Well, I don't remember what is available at that point in the game, so I apologize that I'm not going to be of much use.

So Crystal comes out in about a day from when I post this, and I want to know, which starter is the best for the game as a whole? I ask for a very specific reason, this weekend me and a good friend of mine who I've been playing Pokemon with for 10 years are gonna get together and do a vs./speedrun together, battling at intervals of 2-3 gym badges along the way, and I of course want to have some sort of advantage, we've been playing mind games all week

"I'm probably picking Totodile" he'll say

"well what if you're just saying that so I pick Chikorita so you can pick Cyndaquil"

"But if I do that you might pick Totodile"

"Well what if you're saying that because YOU'RE trying to get Chikorita".

So with a competitive mindset, which starter is the best of the three, and can hold its own against the other two, regardless of what he picks, although I definitely think he'll pick Totodile, it's one of his favorite Pokemon of all time, but he's been known to go with Fire-types in the last 10 years.

Initially I thought Feraligatr would be best, but his high attack stat and special typing (for Gen 2) don't fit well together, whereas Typhlosion has an amazing special attack and more speed so I could thunder punch him out of contention, his speed would also be lower than mine, but I need outside opinions.

Disregard my sig for now, that's my PROJECTED team as of before posting this, subject to lots of change.

It's Typhlosion for the reasons you stated. But some of your other team choices are questionable for a speed run: Umbreon and Dragonite. Both take a while to evolve (especially Dragonite), and Umbreon is all about stall.

They are all terrible. The Gen II starters were an exercise in terribleness. I don't think any of them are worth keeping for long.

It's Typhlosion for the reasons you stated. But some of your other team choices are questionable for a speed run: Umbreon and Dragonite. Both take a while to evolve (especially Dragonite), and Umbreon is all about stall.

It’s not a complete speedrun, it’s just me and him racing in a vs. but we have clauses in place where we need to have a full team by Red. The team is built with the purpose of fighting him, not for completing the game with 100% speedrun strats.

It’s also to make our final battle interesting, we did this in Red and Yellow semi-unprepared and I ended up having an underleveled team of six and had to resort to Pidgeot sand attack hax to take out his overleveled Charizard, after that the rest of his team was too vulnerable lol, he also locked himself into Rage so I was able to just chip him down slowly and painfully.

We have a level balance clause where we have to keep our team within 10 levels, or switch train/use the exp share on the weakest Pokémon in every battle until it is back within 10 levels.

And another clause where our final battle after Red is a 6v6.

Last edited:
My planned Crystal team so far is Meganium, Nocowl, lapras and Suicune with the possibily of the other dogs and/or ho-oh

what does everyone think on that team

I see three 'mons with a weakness to Electricity. Do you have plans for a Ground type?

I see three 'mons with a weakness to Electricity. Do you have plans for a Ground type?

wasn't planning on any really except teaching meganium and/or someone else ground type moves

although at this point i'm still debating a couple other like using that red Gyarados and/or sudowoodo and/or a slowbro on my team instead of the other 2 dog and/or ho-oh

but then again i haven't played these old games in roughly 15 years

Hey, I've got a question. I'm doing yet another Platinum run and I need a bit of advice. Since I started out with Turtwig for a change (usually I start with Chimchar, and I wanted to try something different with Turtwig's setup), I forgot that Sinnoh has a Fire-type shortage compared to other regions, so I need to figure out a Fire-type to fill that slot (I always have a Fire Mon, usually in the form of a starter). The thing is, I want to do a purist run, so I don't want to use any old Mons like Ponyta or Houndour. So that narrows my choices to either Magmortar or trading over a Chimchar egg.

So my question is this: is Magmortar any good? And if so, what would be the most "ideal" setup for it? I've never used one, as I don't like it much, but given my options right now, I want to know if it's any good. Again, I usually don't have this issue, as I often pick the Fire starter, but since I didn't this time, I need some advice. And, for the record, "ideal" is somewhat loosely used here, as I know Magmortar can shift between physical and special fields very easily, and natures aren't guarantees, so just give me a loose idea of what would be a decent setup for one. And if Magmortar isn't any good, should I just trade over a Chimchar egg instead? Thanks in advance.

I'll go with low hanging fruit here and say Modest Nature(if you can choose) with Sunny Day/Flamethrower(I like 100% accuracy)/Solar Beam/(Hyper Beam or Psychic).

I tend to keep things simple as I'm a simple person.

Back
Top Bottom