• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

For those of you who frequent the travelog/let's play thread, you'll know I'm currently doing an NPC character playthrough of Emerald as the SinJoh Battle Arcade Frontier Brain, Dahlia. This is the team I have planned out, at the time of making this post I only have the Torchic and Lotad for the first two members, so far, so the other members are subject to change as far as Natures and movesets go, everyone let me know what you think, I think each member is solid and has clear strengths and purposes in battle, I really like the synergy between Ludicolo taking care of anything that walls Zapdos and both benefiting from Rain Dance, anyways, here's the team:

1. Blaziken

Nature: Naïve

Ability: Blaze

Item: Scope Lens

EVs: 252 Speed, 100 Sp. Attack, 100 Attack, 56 HP

Moveset:

-Blaze Kick

-Sky Uppercut

-Thunder Punch

-Slash/Hidden Power (Ice)

2. Ludicolo

Nature: Modest

Ability: Swift Swim

Item: Leftovers

EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 152 HP, 104 Speed

Moveset:

-Surf

-Giga Drain

-Ice Beam

-Rain Dance

3. Medicham

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Pure Power

Item: Bright Powder/Choice Band

EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moveset:

-Brick Break

-Shadow Ball

-Body Slam

-Double Team/Rock Slide

4. Dusclops

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Pressure

Item: Quick Claw

EVs: 252 Attack, 100 Defense, 100 Sp. Defense, 56 HP

Moveset:

-Shadow Ball

-Earthquake

-Confuse Ray

-Toxic

5. Togetic

Nature: Modest

Ability: Serene Grace

Item: King’s Rock

EVs: 252 Sp. Defense, 100 Defense, 100 Sp. Attack, 56 HP

Moveset:

-Flamethrower

-Water Pulse

-Psychic

-Thunder Wave

6. Zapdos

Nature: Timid

Ability: Pressure

Item: Magnet

EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moveset:

-Thunderbolt

-Thunder Wave

-Rain Dance

-Thunder

Keep in mind that since this is a character playthrough, I'm only going to be using these six Pokemon since they're the only Pokemon Dahlia uses, so please don't suggest any replacements, only changes to the above six Pokemon. Fire away! :giggle:

Just give me the game, and I will make a team for you.

Make sure to give me any specific details, like move sets, items, restrictions, starter choices

If you need a pokemon for a specific area, I will also do that.

Quote this to receive it

Last edited:
Hey guys, so planning on doing a run of Alpha Saphire before too long, thinking about doing the Treecko line, Macargo, Crawadaunt, Manectric, Breloom, and Flygon. Not yet sure about thier move sets quite yet. but I think this team does do pretty good type coverage. Treecko being good against Roxanne, Breloom being good against Norman,

Doing a run through on crystal from gbc trying a different route though noctowl or crobat

First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, out of the two, I'd go with Crobat. Noctowl doesn't get a lot of good moves in Gen 2, especially since the Physical/Special split isn't in effect yet (which means Normal and Flying moves are Physical, which is a field Noctowl clearly lacks). On the other hand, Crobat is a better Physical fighter to begin with, and since Flying and Poison are Physical moves in Gen 2, then it'll feed off its better stat. However, Crobat can't learn any Poison moves outside of Toxic in Gen 2, so it's Poison-type is virtually useless. Normally, I'd recommend using a different Flying Mon such as Fearow or Dodrio, since they get access to good moves that correspond with their types better (though the latter cannot be obtained until after Clair), but of the two choices you asked about, Crobat would be better, since moves like Fly, Wing Attack, Steel Wing, and so on would feed off its better attacking stat. Not saying that it's Special Attack is bad, as it is workable, it's just that Crobat functions better with Physical attacks over Special. Hope that helps.

Sorry for the double post, but now it's my turn to ask a question. I'm doing an X run (finally found it and my Y version) and I was debating on a certain teammate. I caught a decent Croagunk (Male, Docile, Dry Skin) that I was wondering if it would be a worthwhile investment for an in-game team? I've been wanting to train a Croagunk for a while now but it often sits in the box due to the presence of another Fighting Mon, so now seems like a good time to try, but I want to know if it would be a good choice for an X run. I figured he can help against Grant, Ramos, Valerie, and Wulfrig, so that's why I'm wondering if I should try him out for a change of pace? If so, what moves would you lot recommend for him? Thanks in advance.

Game being played: Alpha Sapphire
Team:

Sceptile (Mega) [@Sceptilite]
Type: Grass/Dragon
Ability: Ovegrow (Lightning Rod)

Leaf Blade
Dragon Claw
X-Scissor
Brick Break
Leaf Blade and Dragon Claw are your main stabs, X-Scissor and Night Slash will provide huge coverage.

Tentacruel
Type: Water/Poison
Ability: Clear Body

Surf
Sludge Bomb
Dive
Waterfall
Yeah, IGN was right. This region DOES have too much water. It turned our precious Tentacruel into a HM Slave.

Camerupt
Type: Fire/Ground
Ability: Solid Rock

Earthquake
Lava Plume
Rock Slide
Curse
Even I'm surprised it made it on the team. Rounding up our Grass-Fire-Water core, it definitely puts in some hits for the team, it's moveset full of stabs and level up moves.

Aggron
Type: Rock/Steel
Ability: Sturdy

Heavy Slam
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Surf
Aggron is another defensive wall for this team, like Tentacruel and Camerupt, will stay on field for a very long time.

Swellow
Type: Normal/Flying
Ability: Guts

Facade
Brave Bird
Fly
Reversal
Just a flyer.

Gardevoir
Type: Psychic/Fairy
Ability: Trace

Psychic
Moonblast
Thunderbolt
Magical Leaf
Rounding off this team, we have the model of Hoenn, Gardevoir herself!

Serperior @ Miracle Seed
Type : Grass
Ability : Overgrow
Evolution method: Evolves at Level 36 from Servine, which evolves from Snivy at level 16
• Coil (Level-up)
• Leaf Blade (Level-up)
• Return (Nimbasa City)
• Dragon Tail (Prize for defeating Drayden)
____

Krookodile @ Blackglasses
Type : Ground / Dark
Ability : Moxie
Evolution method: Evolves from Krokorok at level 40, which evolves from Sandile at level 29
• Earthquake (Level-up)
• Crunch (Level-up)
• Outrage (level-up)
• Stone Edge (Challenger’s Cave)
____

Crustle @ Expert Belt
Type : Bug / Rock
Ability : Sturdy
Evolution method: Evolves at level 34 from Dwebble
• Rock Slide (Level-up)
• X Scissor (Level-up)
• Earthquake (Relic Castle)
• Swords Dance (Dreamyard)
____

Swanna @ Sharp Beak
Type : Water / Flying
Ability : Keen Eye
Evolution method: Evolves at level 35 from Ducklett
• Fly (Free)
• Surf (Free)
• Brave Bird (Level-Up)
• Ice Beam (Giant Chasm)
____

Chandelure @ Charcoal
Type : Fire / Ghost
Ability : Flash Fire
Evolution method: Evolves from Lampent with a Dusk Stone (Route 10), which evolves from Litwick at level 41
• Flamethrower
• Shadow Ball
• Energy Ball
• Calm Mind
____

Haxorus @ Muscle Band
Type : Dragon
Ability : Mold Breaker
Evolution method: Evolves from Fraxure at level 48, which evolves from Axew at level 38
• Brick Break
• Earthquake
• Dragon Claw
• Swords Dance

What's a good move set for a mega glalie in omega ruby

It's at level 60 and about learn sheer cold

But I have it knowing
Freeze dry
Head butt
Blizzard
Crunch

What's a good move set for a mega glalie in omega ruby

It's at level 60 and about learn sheer cold

But I have it knowing
Freeze dry
Head butt
Blizzard
Crunch

Well, for starters, replace Headbutt with Return. Not only is Return stronger at max happiness than Headbutt, but it can capitalize on Refrigerate better. Plus, Glalie isn't usually fast enough to get Headbutt's flinch effect off reliably, so you're better off trading it for Return. Secondly, replace Blizzard with Ice Beam. Blizzard may be more powerful, but unless you have a Mon to use Hail, that shoddy accuracy makes it too much of a dice roll. Ice Beam may be slightly weaker, but 100% accuracy makes a big difference. Don't bother with Sheer Cold, either, as it's way too situational to be useful. The rest of what you've got is fine. Shadow Ball is another possible option over Crunch, but since they pretty much do the same thing in terms of opponents it faces, it's up to you.

Here, I need help for a better moveset for my Ultra Sun team:
Incineroar @ Incinium Z

Typing: Fire/Dark
Trait: Blaze
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Fire Punch
-Darkest Lariat
-Thunder Punch
-Brick Break

Tsareena @ Grassium Z

Typing: Grass
Trait: Queenly Majesty
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Trop Kick
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stomp
-Zen Headbutt

Mudsdale @ Groundium Z

Typing: Ground
Trait: Stamina
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam
-Mega Kick
-Rock Slide

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z

Typing: Rock
Trait: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
-Stone Edge
-Accelerock
-Crunch
-Rock Climb

Toxapex @ Leftovers

Typing: Water/Poison
Trait: Merciless
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spd)
-Liquidation
-Poison Jab
-Toxic
-Venom Drench

Ribombee @ Fairium Z

Typing: Bug/Fairy
Trait: Shield Dust
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
-Pollen Puff
-Moonblast
-Psychic
-Quiver Dance

Last edited:
Here, I need help for a better moveset for my Ultra Sun team:
Incineroar @ Incinium Z
View attachment 126990
Typing: Fire/Dark
Trait: Blaze
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Fire Punch
-Darkest Lariat
-Thunder Punch
-Brick Break

Tsareena @ Grassium Z
View attachment 126993
Typing: Grass
Trait: Queenly Majesty
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Trop Kick
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stomp
-Zen Headbutt

Mudsdale @ Groundium Z
View attachment 126992
Typing: Ground
Trait: Stamina
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam
-Mega Kick
-Rock Slide

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
View attachment 126994
Typing: Rock
Trait: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
-Stone Edge
-Accelerock
-Crunch
-Rock Climb

Toxapex @ Leftovers
View attachment 126991
Typing: Water/Poison
Trait: Merciless
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spd)
-Liquidation
-Poison Jab
-Toxic
-Venom Drench

Ribombee @ Fairium Z
View attachment 126995
Typing: Bug/Fairy
Trait: Shield Dust
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
-Pollen Puff
-Moonblast
-Psychic
-Quiver Dance

Well, if this was me, I'd try to have secondary items for each of the Z Move users so that they aren't completely naked when a Z Move is used. But thats a nitpick

Now with ribombee, you maybe should use Bug Buzz over Pollen Puff. Even though they both do the same damage and same accuracy, Bugg Buzz has the added chance to lower Special Defense which gives it an edge. And plus unless you wanna use it in doubles, Pollen Puff is practically weaker than Bug Buzz.

If you have Swords Dance, replace Rock Climb with that. Rock Climb can miss which gives it a downside. And since you have a Jolly Nature and Lycanrocs speed is already good, Accelerock is basically an extra move. But if you want to keep it for the Z Move, thats fine

Well, if this was me, I'd try to have secondary items for each of the Z Move users so that they aren't completely naked when a Z Move is used. But thats a nitpick

Now with ribombee, you maybe should use Bug Buzz over Pollen Puff. Even though they both do the same damage and same accuracy, Bugg Buzz has the added chance to lower Special Defense which gives it an edge. And plus unless you wanna use it in doubles, Pollen Puff is practically weaker than Bug Buzz.

If you have Swords Dance, replace Rock Climb with that. Rock Climb can miss which gives it a downside. And since you have a Jolly Nature and Lycanrocs speed is already good, Accelerock is basically an extra move. But if you want to keep it for the Z Move, thats fine
thanks for the feedback, I think I'll use Pollen Puff though just because of narrative significance XD
But Stone Edge is actually what the Z-Move counts on, so I'll just get rid of Rock Climb for Swords Dance.
Okay, thanks again.

Got a quick question regarding a choice between two teammates. I attempted an Egglocke in Ultra Sun due to having a ton of leftover eggs in another version, but after about 15 eggs I gave up, as it was becoming too much of a chore, turning it into a regular playthrough (though still using the hatched Mons). But, regarding that, I wanted to know which of these two Mons would be a better choice for the playthrough: Tauros or Alolan Grimer? The rest of my team consists of Torracat, Rockruff, Dhelmise, Wimpod, and Hawlucha (all hatched from the eggs in the attempted Egglocke), and I just made it to Route 4. That's my question: between Tauros and Alolan Grimer, which would be a better choice for the playthrough? Thanks in advance.

I'm indecisive about my Platinum Pokemon.

I want a wall and have 2 candidates in Duskull and Umbreon.

The Duskull line is better for that, as they also have at least decent attacking stats, making them more useful than a straight-up wall/staller like Umbreon. Normally I'd say keep Dusclops and not evolve into Dusknoir, but since the Evolite doesn't exist in Platinum, which is what gives Dusclops its power, you're better off going with Dusknoir in that regard. Ghost is also a pretty powerful and useful and useful type, whether it be for annoying opponents with status ailments or near perfect accuracy moves (all Ghost moves during Gen 4 had 100% accuracy). Plus, as an extra note, Dusnoir's Pressure ability can help stall out the PP of certain foes. So, go with Duskull.

EDIT: Almost forgot one thing. Dusknoir is a trade + item evolution, so you'll need either a second game/DS console or a nearby friend to do the trade. Fortunately, you will get a Reaper Cloth near Snowpoint City, just before you enter Lake Acuity, so that bit won't be an issue. Even if you can't trade, Dusclops is still a solid Mon that can still get the job done if needed. Just FYI on that.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I can't trade (unless I'm wrong about Nintendo shutting down the GTS for older games). But Dusclops should work fine.

Back
Top Bottom