• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Thanks.

I can't trade (unless I'm wrong about Nintendo shutting down the GTS for older games). But Dusclops should work fine.

You're welcome. And you're not wrong about Nintendo shutting down the GTS, as, if memory serves, it is/was implemented this month for 3DS-era games (DS-era games like Platinum lost that ages ago). Anyway, another good thing about Dusclops is that, unlike Dusknoir, Dusclops can run either Attack or Special Attack, as they're both nearly even (only a 10 point difference between them). So you can run either stat, or both even, so it's a bit more flexible with its moves, while still retaining good bulk. Hope that helps.

How good is Rotom without the appliance forms?

On it's own, it's decent, but there are better Electric and Ghost Mons out there. Later gens were kinder to Rotom, giving it tools like Volt Switch and such. The appliance forms are were it gets access to its true potential, so it's not worth running a vanilla Rotom unless you have access to the secret room (again, later games and gens made that bit easier, giving you access to the various appliances without a one-time event). So, in short, don't use a regular Rotom, as it's vastly inferior to its appliance forms. It's still decent overall, but Mons like Luxray and Electrivire outclass it as an Elec Mon when used in its base form. Hope that helps.

So I'm about to hit Hearthome City after exploring Wayward Cave and Fantina has always given me trouble due to Mismagius. My team is currently Monferno and Gligar with Psyduck and Staravia as temporary members.

I'm making a Doubles Battle Tower team (in Sword and Shield) featuring dual Telepathy Noivern running Boomburst, as I think it would be both fun and effective. I'm still breeding them up and getting their IVs right, but I'm looking for advice on the moveset and held items.

The only non-negotiable is that they both run Boomburst. I was thinking of doing something like the following:

Noivern A
Boomburst
Heat Wave
Sunny Day
Focus Blast

Noivern B
Boomburst
Heat Wave
Tailwind
Solar Beam

However I'm concerned about the lack of accuracy on Focus Blast, and I'm not convinced Tailwind is needed at all since they're so fast to start and will have maxed speed EVs. I'm also not sure what the best held item would be for them. Dual throat sprays is the easy answer, but are there better options?

I need some advice on a Water Mon to use in a Sword playthrough. I currently have a Binacle around Lv33 (a bit overleveled, I admit, but I was grinding on G-Stunfisks to get my Starter to evolve, so it got pretty high leveled as a result), and I'm going to face Kabu soon in this run. However, I was wondering if I should keep Binacle after Kabu or swap it out for a Dracovish when I get access to it (I have the necessary fossils from the cross-version exclusive Max Raid event). Given that, if I keep Binacle (and later Barbaricle) it'll give me three Mons weak to Ground, while Dracovish won't have that issue. Both are also good counters to Leon's Charizard later on, though, if memory serves, Charizard runs Solarbeam, which could be an issue for Barbaricle (I'd check the wiki, but the adds that overtake the screen make it obnoxiously hard to navigate). But, what do you guys think? Should I keep Barnicle/Barbaricle or switch to Dracovish when I get access to it later (as I, obviously, can't get it before Kabu)? Thanks in advance.

Personally I'd probably go with Dracovish--Water/Dragon has only two weaknesses, making Dracovish a reliable Pokémon who can fight at least evenly with most enemies, and Fishious Rend is pretty crazy when you're faster than the enemy (admittedly, Dracovish isn't the fastest in the game).
Plus Charizard does have Solar Beam so Barbaracle can't really counter him while Charizard's G-maxed.

Dracovish is amazing. Would highly recommend. To give you an idea, on my singles battle tower team, it's Eternatus, Zacien, and Dracovish. I've gotten well over a hundred wins, never lost or even come close to losing. Of course that's with a choice scarf (won't be available till Ballonlea) and max EVs in speed. Without that, Dracovish is still good, and definitely works! But other options (including but not limited to Seismitoad or Wishiwashi, among many competent others) also work. If you get a Dracovish with Strong Jaw, I'd go that route. Otherwise, keep what you have, or try something else, Dracovish at that point in the game would likely not be anything special.

Me again. I'm doing a new playthrough in X, as I'm a bit bored of Sword/Shield and want to change things up a bit. I'm preparing a team mostly with leftover eggs from various breeding projects I've done in past years, though I'll still use the starter I'm given at the start of the game. However, there in lies my question: which starter should I choose. And by that I mean should I go with Fennekin or Froakie. Normally, I'd lean toward Froakie, but considering one of the eggs I dug up will be a Murkrow, overlapping Dark-types might be a bad idea. I want to have a Grass-Fire-Water core, and since I already have the Grass Mon lined up, it's down to Fire and Water. Both starters I pretty much love equally, so I can swing either way. And whichever starter you recommend I should take, what should the opposite type Mon be, as I'm open to suggestions on that, too. Some Ideas are as followed:

Water: Barbaracle, Clawitzer, Vaporeon, Poliwrath
Fire: Simisear, Pyroar, Chandelure, Heatmor

Now, you're probably wondering why I didn't list the obvious Fire Mon, Talonflame. Simple, I've already got two Flying-types on the team as is, so I'd rather not have a third. And, yes, I'm willing to breed if need be (besides, given how many unhatched eggs I have stashed away in other Gen 6 files, I know at least one would have something I'm looking for if needed, as I've done countless breeding experiments in the past).

But, in any case, that's my situation: which starter between Fennekin and Froakie should I use, and which Fire/Water Mon I should use from the choices above? I know this team will be a bit awkward and even a bit gimmicky, but I want to try new things this time around. Thanks in advance.

Me again. I'm doing a new playthrough in X, as I'm a bit bored of Sword/Shield and want to change things up a bit. I'm preparing a team mostly with leftover eggs from various breeding projects I've done in past years, though I'll still use the starter I'm given at the start of the game. However, there in lies my question: which starter should I choose. And by that I mean should I go with Fennekin or Froakie. Normally, I'd lean toward Froakie, but considering one of the eggs I dug up will be a Murkrow, overlapping Dark-types might be a bad idea. I want to have a Grass-Fire-Water core, and since I already have the Grass Mon lined up, it's down to Fire and Water. Both starters I pretty much love equally, so I can swing either way. And whichever starter you recommend I should take, what should the opposite type Mon be, as I'm open to suggestions on that, too. Some Ideas are as followed:

Water: Barbaracle, Clawitzer, Vaporeon, Poliwrath
Fire: Simisear, Pyroar, Chandelure, Heatmor

Now, you're probably wondering why I didn't list the obvious Fire Mon, Talonflame. Simple, I've already got two Flying-types on the team as is, so I'd rather not have a third. And, yes, I'm willing to breed if need be (besides, given how many unhatched eggs I have stashed away in other Gen 6 files, I know at least one would have something I'm looking for if needed, as I've done countless breeding experiments in the past).

But, in any case, that's my situation: which starter between Fennekin and Froakie should I use, and which Fire/Water Mon I should use from the choices above? I know this team will be a bit awkward and even a bit gimmicky, but I want to try new things this time around. Thanks in advance.

Have you used both starters in the past? By default I'd recommend whichever one you haven't already used, but I am somewhat assuming you've already used all of them. Given that assumption, for me they are both fantastic. As such it would come down to which starter has the best supporting option. I look at it like this:

Froakie: Eventually weak to Fighting, Bug, Grass, Electric, and Fairy types. Fire naturally takes care of Grass and Bug, and resists Fairy, leaving Fighting and Electric as bonuses if coverage can be obtained for them. Grass resists Electric so that end is somewhat covered already.
Chandelure: Immune to Fighting, has Clear Smog if you're breeding it anyway to Really cover Fairy, can learn Psychic, giving it (between Poison, Psychic, Ghost, and Fire) a total of 9 different types it's super effective against, with decent speed and amazing special attack. IF you went with Froakie, in my opinion this would be the runaway best complement for it.

Fennekin: Weak to Ground, Rock, Ghost, Water, and Dark. Ground and Rock are naturally covered by Water, leaving Ghost, Dark, and Water as bonuses if coverage can be obtained. Has the advantage of not overlapping Murkrow, who already has Ghost covered, and your Grass type already covers Water, so really, it's just Dark we need at this point.
Poliwrath: As a fighting type, has Dark covered like Woah. Decently bulky, has good coverage, and the fastest of the options selected. IF you went with Fennekin, this in my opinion would be the runaway best complement for it.

Since with Fennekin your Murkrow, Water and Grass type provide you with full coverage across the board, and with Froakie your Fire type and Grass type give you full coverage, it's all down to preference. I love Chandelure so I'd go Greninja and Chandelure, but Delphox and Poliwrath sounds like a lot of fun too. I am curious what the rest of the team is if you don't mind sharing. I hope that helped if only a little!

@Giant Octopodes Thanks for the advice. I've used all three starters in the past, but I tend to favor either Fennekin or Froakie. Because of your advice I've decided to go with Fennekin, since it would limit the overlapping types and I've got most of the weaknesses covered with the other Mons. The other teammates who are still in eggs are Murkrow, Foogus, and Noibat, who are leftovers from experiments from god knows when, so they're ready. And if you're wondering how I know what's in the eggs even though they're still eggs, I took a bunch out, saved, and ran around with them to see what they were. Once they hatched, I would reset and isolate the eggs I want in a separate box so they don't get mixed up. It's become my default strategy whenever I do something like this. But, in any case, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Need some more advice on a potential 6th member. I want to use a Mega in this run, but I'm also very much aware that most Mega Stones are in the post-game in X/Y. Therefore, I'm going to cheat a bit (which I've pretty much already done at this point) and trade over a Mega Stone that isn't given to you main game if need be. Now, the question: which Mon should I use as my Mega Mon? I do have some conditions: no Kanto Starters, Lucario, or Gengar (God, I hate that thing), and, obviously, no ORAS Megas due to connectivity issues between them. Everything else is fair game. Some ideas I did have are Aerodactyl, Pinsir, Mawile, and Aggron, but I'm open to suggestions. My team is, at the moment: Braxien, Prinplup, Foongus, Honchkrow, and Noibat. Prinplup is sort of in the air as a permanent member, as it was an unintentional addition due to a mix-up I made when trading over the eggs, so we'll see how long he lasts. Also, I'd like to not breed for the Mega if possible. But, in any case, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Some ideas I did have are Aerodactyl, Pinsir, Mawile, and Aggron, but I'm open to suggestions. My team is, at the moment: Braxien, Prinplup, Foongus, Honchkrow, and Noibat.
I’m leaning towards Aggron. It resists Rock type attacks, which is nice for Braxien, Noibat, and Honchkrow, it doesn’t double up on a Fire weakness unlike Mawile, and its high defense looks helpful considering your team looks a bit frail in that regard. The only issue is that it’s slow.

Okay, new question. Since I've had to put my X rerun on hold due to the battery stopped keeping a charge, thus I need to replace it before I do anything else with it, I decided to resurrect a largely abandoned (albeit accidentally) Shield playthrough. After getting the current update and such, I'm on-route to Turffield for my first Gym Badge (yeah, that playthrough is very far behind, but I have had to deal with data corruption at one point, so I lost some data previously). Anyway, I need a Water-type, preferably one that I haven't already raised. My team is as followed: Raboot, Corvisquire, Noibat, Pincurchin, Munchlax, and Roggenrola (the latter four were from Max Raids, with Pincurchin and Munchlax from previous events). I'm thinking of ditching Munchlax after he evolves into Snorlax, since I merely caught him for the event (especially since wild Munchlax are pretty hard to come by normally), so I wanted some help in deciding his replacement. The Water-types I've raised previously in Sword/Shield are: Barraskewda, Golisopod, Cloyster, Drednaw, Cramorant, Seismitoad, Dracovish, Crawdaunt, Gyarados, Vaporeon, Gastrodon, and Barbaracle. I would rather not use one of these aforementioned Mons again, as I want to try something different unless the rest of my options are bad or come too late. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom