• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

So I've been wanting to get Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee. I see plenty of candidates for physical attackers, but don't see as many special attackers.

My ideal special attacker is someone who's special attack is greater than or equal to their attack and has another stat they excel in.
Starmie is a great candidate that also excels in speed. Alakazam and Gengar are ones I would recommend as well.

Okay, I'm going to be starting another White run soon (I just need to get past all the events that'll happen this week first) and I wanted some ideas for teammates. Naturally, I'll be starting with Tepig (later Emboar) as it's the best of the trio (Snivy is borderline useless without Contrary and Oshawott is too middle-of-the-road for my needs, plus I excel with Fire starters anyway), but I'm running blanks for the rest of the team. I'm thinking of using Mons I haven't used either in a long time or at all (at least in Gen 5 runs, anyway) to spice things up. I'm also considering the possibility of adding in legends like the Swords of Justice into the ranks, since they are (or at least were) massive competitive staples in the past, even though it might end up with overlapping types, but I'm not sure yet. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance and take care.

Well, since you want to use mons you never use or haven't used in a long while, it might be handy if we had some insight into mons that qualify for that.

Starmie is a great candidate that also excels in speed. Alakazam and Gengar are ones I would recommend as well.

These are great shouts - Jynx and Jolteon fit snugly into this category, too, though the former is extremely fragile and the latter has a fairly barren movepool.

If you were interested in something on the more sluggish end of the spectrum, Exeggutor, Vileplume, Magneton and Omastar are all quite interesting, depending on how long you want to wait to get your mitts on them.

Well, since you want to use mons you never use or haven't used in a long while, it might be handy if we had some insight into mons that qualify for that.

Well, some Mons I use fairly regularly in Gen 5 runs (or at least BW runs) are ones like Carracosta, Gigalith, Excadrill, Cofagrigus, Escavalier, Amoonguss, Braviary, and Galvantula. Some of the more less common ones I use are Unfezant, Jellicent, Krookodile, Sigilyph, Scrafty, and Simipour. And some of the ones I've never used are Conkeldurr, Sawk, Swords of Justice, Simisage, Scolipede, Reuniclus, Ferrothorn, Cryogonal, and Bisharp. There are others, these are just the ones off the top of my head (and the ones I actually know how to spell), and considering how big the Unova dex is, there are a LOT of options to choose from. Does that help?

I'd say something like...

Samurott (I know you said you don't like him, but physical Samurott is something I live by when playing through BW. He's amazing)
Scolipede (Really strong mon. Doesn't get access to Speed Boost yet but even without he's amazing)
Bisharp/Ferrothorn (I've used hte latter myself. Give him a Rocky Helmet and you're good.)
Reuniclus
Simisage (Used this in BW2 for one run, albeit a physical variant)
Slot for whatever you'd like. (Something like Chandelure or Eelektross worked wonders for me, but I can understand why someone wouldn't want to raise these during the story.)

I personally like running a 3/3 split in terms of attackers (Which may be noticeable by this recommendation) but that's to each his own. Hopefully this helps out a bit.

How good is Wailord? Does its massive HP compensate for its low defenses?

I've used one during my ORAS runs and it makes for a pretty decent Water Mon. Plus, it also learns all the Water HMs (even learning Dive naturally) so it makes it a good HM user whenever you have to deal with more than two Water HMs. It's defenses are a bit lacking so don't expect it to take too many heavy hits, but the HP pool it has does lessen the blows to more manageable levels. Plus, being pure Water is a overall solid type, so that limits what can hurt it heavily. It also grows pretty quickly, so it'll evolve sooner than you think (especially if you have the EXP Share in later gens). Overall, Wailord is a pretty good Mon and can hold all your Water HMs with ease (if you're in a game with HMs). I'd say go for it, as it is a pretty fun Mon to use that can throw its weight around.

Need some help on a teammate for my Platinum run. I'm thinking of using Roserade for this run, as I need a Grass-type to help counter the Water weakness some of my Mons have. However, I'm not sure of a moveset to use with it. I know that moves like Sludge Bomb are a must, but I'm drawing blanks on other moves. I'm not looking for anything super-competitive, and I'm not breeding for moves in this game, I just want some ideas for an in-game playthrough. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Need some help on a teammate for my Platinum run. I'm thinking of using Roserade for this run, as I need a Grass-type to help counter the Water weakness some of my Mons have. However, I'm not sure of a moveset to use with it. I know that moves like Sludge Bomb are a must, but I'm drawing blanks on other moves. I'm not looking for anything super-competitive, and I'm not breeding for moves in this game, I just want some ideas for an in-game playthrough. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
A Roserade I used in Pt had Energy Ball for STAB and Shadow Ball for Psychic-types. It also knew Synthesis for recovery - Roselia learns it at lv.46 so you might want to go for Giga Drain (TM) instead if that's too late.

Got a question regarding a member of my Sword team. In this file I have a Kommo-o that I'm still ironing out some ideas for. She's Level 49, has a Naïve nature, Bulletproof for her ability, and knows the moves Draco Meteor, Close Combat, Poison Jab, and Dragon Dance. Does this sound like a pretty good setup or should I rearrange things a bit more? I've got access to all the TRs in a couple of other files, along with both Ability Capsules and Patches, and every Nature Mint, so I can very easily trade any over to customize her if need be. Thanks in advance.

Depends if you want it to be geared more towards competitive or just casual. I don't think Draco Meteor is needed for a casual playthrough (Dragon Pulse or Dragon Claw should suffice as well, especially since you also got Dragon Dance. There's also Clanging Scales if you don't mind the Defense Drop). If you want a more competitive one and plan to use it as such, physically defensive Kommo'o seems to be the most popular/efficient one to use.

Right now, without much customization, mixed is possible with Clanging Scales, Close Combat, Poison Jab and then a 4th slot for whatever you want.

Last edited:
Okay, new question. I've put my most recent Sword run aside for now as I've taken care of both the league and Swordward/Shieldbert post-game story, so I picked up my Platinum run again. This time I was wondering about a certain move for one of my Mons. I currently have a Level 39 Monferno, as I've been holding him back from evolving to possibly learn Slack Off. My question is this: Should I keep holding him back for Slack Off or should I just evolve him into Infernape and forget all about Slack Off? His other moves are Flamethrower, Grass Knot, Leer and Close Combat (obviously, Leer will be the move that would get replaced by Slack Off). I ask because I'm not sure if Slack Off is a good enough move to wait for, as only Chimchar/Monferno learn it, and because self-recovery moves are often considered very valuable. Is it worth waiting for it or should I just go ahead and evolve him? Thanks in advance.

Okay, trying something a bit different this time. I'm doing a "special" challenge run in X and I'm trying to decide on a moveset for a soon-to-be-bred Protean Froakie. Considering that Greninja is a freakin' Swiss Army Knife, it has A LOT of options to choose from. So, my question is this: what would be a good/fun moveset for an in-game Greninja? I'm willing to use ORAS tutors, since this "special" run is using unique setups and unique/lesser Mons (ie: Chimecho, for example), so Move Tutors are on the table and, to a lesser degree, Egg Moves (depending on the moves and Mon in question). I'm not looking for anything hyper competitive, but something that'll keep the game interesting while still being useful in the long-run (assuming I don't fall prey to the usual issue I have with XY and give up halfway). Any suggestions would be great. Also, any suggestions for my planned Chimecho would be appreciated, too, with the same rules in play. Thanks in advance.

Game being played: White
Team:

Emboar [Charcoal]
Ability: Blaze
Nature: mild
Level: 53
Stats: 191/156/78/139/81/99
Flametrower
Flame Charge
Head Smash
Arm Thrust
[I'm keeping this one, a flametrower is enough to destroy the Bisharp]

Leavanny [Miracle Seed]
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Careful
Level: 53
Stats: 161/131/104/82/91/129
Sword Dance
X-Scissors
Leaf Blade
Leaf Storm
[This one ain't gonna go anywhere either, Seismitoad gets destroyed, and he is generally a beast]

Archeops [Sharp beak]
Ability: Defeatist
Nature: Impish
Level: 52
Stats: 157/174/101/112/84/143
Fly
Pluck
Dragon Tail
Crunch

Gigalith [Hard Stone]
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Gentle
Stats: 158/167/139/85/100/53
Strength
Rock Slide
Stone Edge
Iron Defense

Klingklang [Metal Coat]
Ability: Minus
Nature: Lonely
Stats: 125/149/122/95/105/103
Gear Grind
Flash Cannon
Metal Sound
Discharge

Zekrom [Quick Claw]
Ability: Teravolt
Nature: Quiet
Stats: 167/168/132/154/119/102
Fusion Bolt
Slash
Zen Headbutt
Dragon Breath
[His item is only to try to help him use dragon breath on hydreigon, so if I find someone to deal with the Hydreigon I will swap the claw]

Alright, here's the context: I'm trying to defeat Ghetsis, problem is, his Hydreigon has at least one move that is super effective against everyone of my party. I'm thinking about swapping out Gigalith, since his type overlaps Archeops' one, and the latter deals fairly decently against half of Ghetsis' team. I'm thinking of swapping Gigalith for a Stoutland (only weak to Focus Blast, but the Stoutlands that the NPCs had were hella tanky, as my Emboar's arm thrust really didn't do a lot of damage) or a Reuniclus(no weaknesses to any of Hydreigon's attacks, though his physic type makes Stabs useless). Really, I just want to find someone to deal with that damn level 54 Hydreigon.

Just picked up ultra sun and was wondering if there were any suggestion on pokemon for my team. I'm just at the start and have pichu, rowlet and buneary so far. I've never used lopunny so thought I would try that out. Not too sure about others I should use.

Just picked up ultra sun and was wondering if there were any suggestion on pokemon for my team. I'm just at the start and have pichu, rowlet and buneary so far. I've never used lopunny so thought I would try that out. Not too sure about others I should use.

Well, I suggest you have a Grass-Fire-Water core, so you can cover your bases. Since you have Rowlet, later Decidueye, you've got the Grass part covered. If you want some recommended moves, go with Spirit Shackle, Leaf Blade, Sucker Punch, and either U-turn/Roost/Brave Bird, depending on your needs or what moves you feel comfortable using.

I suggest for a Fire Mon you go with Growlithe, later Arcanine, as just like Decidueye, it can swing between physical and special as needed. You can catch Growlithe on the first island, in the area before your first trial, though it's slightly rare. Try to get one with Intimate, as it can help softening blows, especially since you can't get a Fire Stone until Paniola Ranch at the earliest, and even then don't evolve it until at least getting Flamethrower, as Arcanine, like most Stone evos pre Gen 8, stop learning moves naturally, so you want to pick your moves before evolving, otherwise you'll have to resort to TMs, with many good ones coming late game. Again, if you want some recommended moves, I'd go with Flamethrower, Crunch, Iron Head, and Wild Charge.

As for a Water Mon, I recommend Starmie. However, unlike Growlithe, you can evolve Staryu as soon as you get a Water Stone, as Starmie's best attacks are TMs anyway. You can catch one just before you go to the Fire Trial by fishing on the same route as the entrance to the trial is. It'll probably take a few attempts, as Staryu is easier to find in the bubbling fishing spots, but it'll be worth it. As for moves, Scald, Psychic, Ice Beam and either Grass Knot/Dazzling Gleam/Recover are good options.

Now, onto the next bit. Keep Pichu as Alolan Raichu is actually pretty good. It's fast and hits like a Mack truck, though it can't take much damage in return. While it will give you two Psychic Mons on the team, you'll be facing a lot of Poison Mons from Team Skull, so they'll tear through them. Just watch out for Guzma. As for moves, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Grass Knot, and either Volt Switch/Focus Blast, depending on your needs.

Now, sadly, Lopunny won't serve you very well. It really needs its Mega form to do anything of worth, as its base form, while versatile, doesn't pack enough raw power to justify a team slot. For a replacement, go with Snorlax. Snorlax is a very versatile Normal-type with the actual raw power behind it. You can catch Munchlax on the first island after you get Tauros Charge, in the section of Route 1 behind the smashable rocks. It's semi-rare but it'll be worth it. As for moves, I'd go with Return (which makes sense as Munchlax is a friendship-based evo), Zen Headbutt, Heavy Slam, and either any of the Elemental Punches or, if you want to use its Z-Move, Giga Impact. High Horsepower, Rock Slide, and Brick Break are also other good options, so customize to your liking.

Now, for the last slot, I recommend Hawlucha. Fighting and Flying are a beautiful combo that hits everything and Hawlucha has a nice movepool to play with. Plus, it's wicked fast and hits hard. You can catch Hawlucha on the first island after completing the trial, though you also have the option to use the traded Hawlucha (the one named "Cha") by trading a Spearow with the lass in the PC to get it before the Normal Trial, it's your call. Just remember that traded Mons won't listen if their level is too high. If you opt to get a wild one, try to get one with Limber, as Unburden is better in PvP situations, while Limber is better in-game to avoid getting paralyzed, which is abundant in these games. As for moves, I suggest Drain Punch, X-Scissor, Acrobatics, and Hone Claws/Rock Slide/Poison Jab/Throat Chop, depending on your needs.

I hope this gives you an idea of what you're looking for for your playthrough. Good luck.

EDIT: I have to correct myself on some of the move recommendations, as some aren't available until post-game, something that I forgot about. Mainly Hawlucha's Drain Punch and Throat Chop. So, instead, go with a move like Flying Press/High Jump Kick/Brick Break for a Fighting STAB and something like the Elemental Punches, Roost, or U-turn. Again, customize to your liking. Anyway, hope this helps.

Last edited:
Well, I suggest you have a Grass-Fire-Water core, so you can cover your bases. Since you have Rowlet, later Decidueye, you've got the Grass part covered. If you want some recommended moves, go with Spirit Shackle, Leaf Blade, Sucker Punch, and either U-turn/Roost/Brave Bird, depending on your needs or what moves you feel comfortable using.

I suggest for a Fire Mon you go with Growlithe, later Arcanine, as just like Decidueye, it can swing between physical and special as needed. You can catch Growlithe on the first island, in the area before your first trial, though it's slightly rare. Try to get one with Intimate, as it can help softening blows, especially since you can't get a Fire Stone until Paniola Ranch at the earliest, and even then don't evolve it until at least getting Flamethrower, as Arcanine, like most Stone evos pre Gen 8, stop learning moves naturally, so you want to pick your moves before evolving, otherwise you'll have to resort to TMs, with many good ones coming late game. Again, if you want some recommended moves, I'd go with Flamethrower, Crunch, Iron Head, and Wild Charge.

As for a Water Mon, I recommend Starmie. However, unlike Growlithe, you can evolve Staryu as soon as you get a Water Stone, as Starmie's best attacks are TMs anyway. You can catch one just before you go to the Fire Trial by fishing on the same route as the entrance to the trial is. It'll probably take a few attempts, as Staryu is easier to find in the bubbling fishing spots, but it'll be worth it. As for moves, Scald, Psychic, Ice Beam and either Grass Knot/Dazzling Gleam/Recover are good options.

Now, onto the next bit. Keep Pichu as Alolan Raichu is actually pretty good. It's fast and hits like a Mack truck, though it can't take much damage in return. While it will give you two Psychic Mons on the team, you'll be facing a lot of Poison Mons from Team Skull, so they'll tear through them. Just watch out for Guzma. As for moves, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Grass Knot, and either Volt Switch/Focus Blast, depending on your needs.

Now, sadly, Lopunny won't serve you very well. It really needs its Mega form to do anything of worth, as its base form, while versatile, doesn't pack enough raw power to justify a team slot. For a replacement, go with Snorlax. Snorlax is a very versatile Normal-type with the actual raw power behind it. You can catch Munchlax on the first island after you get Tauros Charge, in the section of Route 1 behind the smashable rocks. It's semi-rare but it'll be worth it. As for moves, I'd go with Return (which makes sense as Munchlax is a friendship-based evo), Zen Headbutt, Heavy Slam, and either any of the Elemental Punches or, if you want to use its Z-Move, Giga Impact. High Horsepower, Rock Slide, and Brick Break are also other good options, so customize to your liking.

Now, for the last slot, I recommend Hawlucha. Fighting and Flying are a beautiful combo that hits everything and Hawlucha has a nice movepool to play with. Plus, it's wicked fast and hits hard. You can catch Hawlucha on the first island after completing the trial, though you also have the option to use the traded Hawlucha (the one named "Cha") by trading a Spearow with the lass in the PC to get it before the Normal Trial, it's your call. Just remember that traded Mons won't listen if their level is too high. If you opt to get a wild one, try to get one with Limber, as Unburden is better in PvP situations, while Limber is better in-game to avoid getting paralyzed, which is abundant in these games. As for moves, I suggest Drain Punch, X-Scissor, Acrobatics, and Hone Claws/Rock Slide/Poison Jab/Throat Chop, depending on your needs.

I hope this gives you an idea of what you're looking for for your playthrough. Good luck.

EDIT: I have to correct myself on some of the move recommendations, as some aren't available until post-game, something that I forgot about. Mainly Hawlucha's Drain Punch and Throat Chop. So, instead, go with a move like Flying Press/High Jump Kick/Brick Break for a Fighting STAB and something like the Elemental Punches, Roost, or U-turn. Again, customize to your liking. Anyway, hope this helps.
I have not used Arcanine (surprisingly) or hawlucha before so I'll give them a try. Not much of a fan of snorlax and starmie though I'm sure they are good. Thanks for the recommendations especially the moves!

I have not used Arcanine (surprisingly) or hawlucha before so I'll give them a try. Not much of a fan of snorlax and starmie though I'm sure they are good. Thanks for the recommendations especially the moves!

Well, a couple of other suggestions I can give you are Alolan Muk (I, personally don't care for the line but I have used it and it does throw its weight around quite nicely, and the Poison-type absolutely shreds Alola). For moves I'd go with Poison Jab, Crunch, Ice Punch, and either Toxic/Brick Break/Rock Slide. You can also opt for Gunk Shot instead of Poison Jab if you want more power and don't mind the low accuracy. Mudsdale is another option to replace Snorlax (the thing hits like a freight train). For moves I suggest Earthquake, Heavy Slam, Rock Slide, and Superpower. For a different Water Mon you could use Wishiwashi (I've used one before and it was a pretty solid player), which you can get after beating Lana's Trial and getting the fishing rod. For moves, go with Scald, Ice Beam, Bulldoze (since you can't get the TM for Earthquake until post-game), and either U-turn/Iron Tail/Aqua Ring. If any of these are more up your alley than give them a whirl. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom