• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Thanks :bulbaLove:,I was wondering about primerina . I'm thinking sparkling aria, Moonblast, and some other moves, but not really sure.
Ice Beam is also pretty great, I would even argue it to be a must. Hyper Voice is too a good move.

Shadow Ball is excelent too, since Ghost is never not gonna be a great option for an offensive move.

Thanks :bulbaLove:,I was wondering about primerina . I'm thinking sparkling aria, Moonblast, and some other moves, but not really sure.

A few suggestions I can think of are Ice Beam (coverage against Grass and overall vital to Water Mons), Psychic (to counter Poison), Shadow Ball (good coverage and will save your skin in the Ghost trial), Hyper Voice (good AoE attack), and Energy Ball (counters other Water Mons).

Okay, I've started a new Sword playthrough a few days ago. I'm at Motostoke for the first time in the game. As a result of using a few leftover eggs and catching several Mons I've actually gotten 5 members of my team created already: Raboot, Corvisquire, Passimian, Roserade (I caught a Roselia and traded over a spare Shiny Stone, since there is no point in not evolving it in these games due to the changes to stone evolution movepools), and Brionne (I hadn't updated the Wild Area since the start of the Alolan Starter event and I'm glad I didn't, as I got a HA Rowlet/Litten and a Timid Popplio (though, sadly, it's a male) from the event). However, I need help on a sixth member as well as some ideas for moves. I have access to all TMs/TRs in other files so I can pretty much outfit my team right away with any suggestions. I'm not looking for anything super "meta" or whatnot but I'm pretty much open to all suggestions. I have already tweaked some of my teammates' moves (Roserade already has Sludge Bomb and I taught her Spikes, for example), but any suggestions are fine. And, again, I need a sixth teammate, preferably a Special hitter. Thanks in advance.

Okay, I've started a new Sword playthrough a few days ago. I'm at Motostoke for the first time in the game. As a result of using a few leftover eggs and catching several Mons I've actually gotten 5 members of my team created already: Raboot, Corvisquire, Passimian, Roserade (I caught a Roselia and traded over a spare Shiny Stone, since there is no point in not evolving it in these games due to the changes to stone evolution movepools), and Brionne (I hadn't updated the Wild Area since the start of the Alolan Starter event and I'm glad I didn't, as I got a HA Rowlet/Litten and a Timid Popplio (though, sadly, it's a male) from the event). However, I need help on a sixth member as well as some ideas for moves. I have access to all TMs/TRs in other files so I can pretty much outfit my team right away with any suggestions. I'm not looking for anything super "meta" or whatnot but I'm pretty much open to all suggestions. I have already tweaked some of my teammates' moves (Roserade already has Sludge Bomb and I taught her Spikes, for example), but any suggestions are fine. And, again, I need a sixth teammate, preferably a Special hitter. Thanks in advance.
Hum... by looking at your team, considering that you have both Passimian and Roserade, you have a weakness against Psychic and Flying, and your only counter seems to be Corviking, which is not that great if you ask me.

How about Alolan Raichu? Fast and strong, and resists both of those typings. Besides adding an extra Eletric resist, since only Roserade is up for the job there. And it has a nice movepool for you to mess with.

So I'm planning out my BDSP team. Is it possible to get the following (or an evolution family member) before post game (including the needed evolution items)?

Eevee
Gligar
Magnemite
Spheal
Electabuzz
Houndoom
Weavile
Eevee is unavailable until the post-game. I think Houndoom, Electabuzz, Magnemite and Weavile are obtainable in-game, though at least the former two are underground captures. Not sure about Spheal and Gligar, but I think Gligar at least should be catchable too.

Want some advice on my Infernape in Brilliant Diamond. In this particular playthrough he recently evolved and I was wondering what would be a good final moveset? As of now he has Flame Wheel, Close Combat, Power-Up Punch, and Grass Knot. Flame Wheel is going to be replaced with Flamethrower very shortly but I'm not sure what move to replace Power-Up Punch with. Some ideas I had included Slack Off, U-turn, Shadow Claw, Poison Jab, Rock Slide, and Dig/Earthquake. Any suggestions would be great.

Also, while we're at it, I'd like a final moveset for my Murkrow (eventually a Honchkrow). Currently, she knows Air Cutter, Pluck, Thief, and Night Shade. One reason why she knows Thief is because she has Super Luck, which would make wild held items more common, thus allowing me to snag them if given the chance. But I'm open to suggestions for her, as I'm coming up with blanks on what her final set should be.

Thanks in advance.

Is Lopunny a worthwhile Pokemon? I know as far as Friendship evolutions go, it's going to be a long road since it has no beginning happiness.

I'm assuming you're playing BDSP. Sadly, no. Without its Mega it's pretty much just box/dex fodder. It has some decent moves, and can be a decent utility Mon, but its stats are too low and, again, the loss of its Mega pretty much leave it in gimmick territory at best. Also, it lost its best STAB option: Return. You might as well evolve it and then box it right afterward, as it's just too weak to do much. Hope that helps.

I was planning to use it as a physical member and thought 76 Attack was passable. Would it change anything to say I'm not playing competitively?

I can't use Gliscor since Razor Fang's post game, Brongzong is out since I wish to use Magnezone (if its not post game), and Dusclops I don't want to reuse old Pokemon from old teams.

Sadly, even in-game Lopunny is rather weak, especially since it's a glass cannon at best. Not to mention the trainer AI is much smarter and has much better moves to work with. You're only really handicapping yourself by using it, as several trainers (particularly late-game and ESPECIALLY post-game) could easily steamroll it. Plus Normal isn't that great of a type anymore (unless your name is Staraptor or Snorlax), so it's better off not being on the frontlines. If you still want a physical Normal Mon then there are the aforementioned Staraptor and Snorlax (especially since Munchlax can be found in the Grand Underground after a certain point, heavily simplifying the ability to obtain it). And Lickilicky is actually pretty solid (especially since it can actually hit from both sides of the spectrum easily, giving it lots of options... and it also gets Knock Off to ruin several of the in-game teams' strategies). And Lickitung can be found in the Grand Underground as soon as you get access to it (it can be found in a few places, but the place I've found it the most is Spacious Cave, which is probably the most common Hideaway in the GU, albeit it it's a "rare spawn", so you'll have to reset the room by going in and out of it until it spawns). It's a tad slow but it's got good defenses and HP, allowing it to soak up hits easily. So, those are your options for a Normal physical hitter if that's what you're looking for.

However, you can get Magnezone for the main game, as Magnemite can be found in certain areas of the Grand Underground (Spacious Cave, if I'm remembering right, though it's a "rare spawn"), and Magneton can still evolve into Magnezone at Mt. Coronet. I should know, I'm using one myself. So you have at least that option available to you.

So I've planned out all of the Pokémon I want to use in BD, but I don't know what roles to assign for some of them.

Infernape: Special Attacker due to a Modest Nature
Jirachi: idk?? They have a Brave Nature, if that helps.
Gallade: Physical Attacker
Gardevoir: Idk. She likes sour food, if that helps
Milotic: Idk. Haven't caught one yet.
Chimecho/Glaceon: If Chimecho, maybe a Healer? If Glaceon, Ice Sweep.

I don't choose Pokémon based on strength; I follow the Karenian school of thought.

I need some recommendations for a new playthrough in Brilliant Diamond. I'm currently up to Solaceon Town. This is my team right now:

Infernape (37, male, Amulet Coin, Hardy)
Close Combat/Flame Wheel/Power Up Punch/Fury Swipes
Notes: Infernape is going to be a mixed attacker, like always, as his Attack and Special Attack have only a 1 point difference. My usual set is Flamethrower/Close Combat/Grass Knot/U-turn but I want to spice things up a bit this time around and try something a bit different. So I'm open to suggestions on the last two moves (Flamethrower and Close Combat are mainstays).

Staraptor (34, male, Shell Bell, Serious)
Close Combat/Aerial Ace/Quick Attack/Double Team
Notes: Due to the move Return not being in the game my standard set for Staraptor is now Close Combat/Brave Bird/Roost/U-turn. However, I'm open to suggestions for him.

Gyarados (31, male, Serious)
Waterfall/Crunch/Bite/Rain Dance
Notes: I really need some suggestions for him. I'm no weather abuser so Rain Dance is just a temporary fill-in in order to get rid of Tackle, so any suggestions are welcome, especially since it's been ages since I last used Gyarados.

Torterra (34, female, Quick Claw, Impish)
Curse/Earthquake/Bullet Seed/Body Slam
Notes: Torterra was the result of a breeding experiment I did in my main BD version, having had 3 egg moves: Seed Bomb/Body Slam/Superpower, though obviously Body Slam is the sole surviving egg move. I traded over a Turtwig egg to this version just to see if Torterra got better with age. Curse was used to balance out Superpower. Also, the reason why I gave her Bullet Seed over Seed Bomb is mainly because I saw a player on Youtube using it to extremely great success, even flattening both Gastrodon and Milotic on Cynthia's team. Plus it's great for dealing with Sturdy Mons. However, I'm open to suggestions on her.

I also have a Chingling and the Happiny egg in my party as temporary members, as the former is to try to get a Chimecho without needing to scour the upper areas of Mt. Coronet and the latter is just for dex data (and to get rid of the egg). As you can see I need a few more Special Attackers, so I'm open to suggestions on them and possible movesets. Thanks in advance.

As you can see I need a few more Special Attackers, so I'm open to suggestions on them and possible movesets. Thanks in advance.
The pokémon I would recommend you is Gardevoir. Fairy/Psychic destroys all those Poison and Dark types that Team Galactic uses, it can learn Thunderbolt for the Golbats, Pelippers and Gyaradoses that appear in the later routes (leading to the league) it can use Light Screen and Reflect. The moveset I used was Dazzling Gleam, Psychic, Thunderbolt and Reflect. Personally I used it and it helped me a lot against the E4 and Cynthia.

Togekiss is another good option, it is bulkier and has Flamethrower and Aura Sphere for Steels/Rocks, coupled with Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam it is a good option.
Magnezone is yet another good option, it is also bulky and very strong and Electric is a good type to have due to the abundance of Water types. It helps with Byron, Candice, and Volkner since it resists all of their attacks and can fire back with Flash Cannon/Thunderbolt. A moveset with Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, Tri Attack (for the Electric pokémon in Volkner's gym) and Magnet Rise is very good.

Last edited:
@GhostLucario Thanks for the tips. I've managed to get ahold of at least one Special Attacker in the form of Alakazam since I've had zilch luck in finding both Ralts and Togepi (I know they're rare spawns but my luck has been downright abysmal lately in finding any good rare spawns). He currently has Psyshock/Shock Wave/Recover/Dazzling Gleam, Inner Focus as his ability, has a Hardy nature, and is Level 33. I'm also now up to Pastoria City before taking on the Gym. And as much as I've come to appreciate Magnezone, I used one in my main playthrough so I'd like something a tad different this time around. But thanks for the suggestions.

Say I want to blast through Crystal on 3DS to grab the Celebi you can get from that and get it to Home quickly. What are good teams for that? I've never touched the first two gens.
I don't know if you intend to use a Tyranitar or Houndour, but please forget that. They're only available in Kanto/pretty much near Red, so it's not worth it.

I'm afraid you'll end up using a lot of Kanto mons, unless you have the tools to PKhex in certain mons before they are actually available.

Back when I played through it I used Totodile and he served me well. (And picking Chikorita will give you a ton of issues against Falkner. Unless you pick up a Geodude on Route 46).

Been jumping around games lately and decided to do a playthrough of X again. Now, as many people know I don't like XY due to it being a massive step down from Gen 5 (among other reasons) but I won't deny that some of the Mons introduced in Gen 6 are pretty good (Hawlucha becoming one of my favorites), so I'm willing to give it another chance. As such I need some ideas on team members.

I started out with Froakie, caught a couple of filler Mons, and traded over two mystery eggs from another version, resulting in a Protean Froakie and Magician Fennekin, the former of which has since replaced my original Froakie. Now I need some Mons to fill in the gaps, along with a potential Mega Mon. I'd rather not use another Starter on my team since that's redundant so the Kanto Starters are off the table (though I'll probably choose Bulbasaur when prompted and use it for a bit just to fill in the Grass role). One teammate I was thinking of is Ferrothorn, as I've never used one yet I hear it's one of, if not the best Grass Mon in existence, so I'm willing to try one. Plus it'll give me a good Grass/Fire/Water core, and Grass/Steel will limit shared weaknesses (atm, the only shared weakness it has with my current setup is Fighting with the eventual Greninja, and that can be remedied through Protean and the eventual Delphox).

But I need some other teammates, including ones that can Sky Battle. Gyarados was one idea I had, as it can help lessen the HM load by learning Waterfall, participate in Sky Battles, and can Mega Evolve (I'll trade over a Gyaradosite from another version, since I've got plenty of them stashed away), but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. So any suggestions to fill in the rest of the team would be great. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom