• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Wiilio

Neighborhood fatman
Reaction score
Are you currently going through your Pokémon journey but left unsure as to whether your team will do the job? Not sure what other Pokémon to use or what moves to use on them? Then you've come to the right place! As a spin off of the Battle Center's "Rate My Team" that has recently found a home in VG.
Any generation of game is welcome in this thread (Gens 1-5!) So don't feel shy if you're playing an old game, you're free to post your team for help here!

When posting your team, please state the game you are playing, the Pokémon's species and their movesets as a minimum.

GENERAL FORMAT TO BE USED:
Game being played:
Team:
Pokémon 1 [@item equipped (if any)]
Ability:
Nature:
Level:
[Stats 00/00/00/00/00/00]
move
move
move
move
[Any problems/notes you have about this team member]

Pokémon 2 [@item equipped (if any)]
Ability:
Nature:
Level:
move
move
move
move

Pokémon 3 [@item equipped (if any)]
Ability:
Nature:
Level:
move
move
move
move

[Final comments/asks for advice here] etc. and so on.

NOTE: This is for IN-GAME teams only. For competitive teams, please go to the Battle Center

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

well i guess i'll be the first to post :D
oh and i have no idea what the ev's are, you never do on an in-game team
this is my platinum team :) i've just got to iron island, and they need a LOT of leveling up

gabite level 33
dragon rage
sandstorm
slash
dragon claw

luxray level 33
bite
charge
spark
leer

houndoom level 33
fire fang
bite
roar
odersleuth

prinplup level 34
surf
growl
brine
metal claw

togekiss level 34
sweet kiss
aura spehe
fly
return

gallade
drain punch
leaf blade
psyco cut
swords dance

as i say, they need levelling up. i'll replace luxray with giratina when i get him. i cant wait till they get better moves, and i need another heart scale for togekiss :/ but they're mainly pokemon i like, and i tried to get a ballance :)

How do you rate an in-game team? I dunno. QUESTIONABLE THREAD IS QUESTIONABLE.

Well, my favorite type is Dragon-type. Also, I usually only carry three Pokémon in my in-game party, consisting of one battler and my HM Slaves.

flygon3.png

Flygon (That's right, it's shiny) lvl 100
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Flamethrower

445_garchomp_1_m.png

Garchomp lvl 56
- Cut
- Strength
- Rock Climb
- Rock Smash

149.gif

Dragonite lvl 56
- Fly
- Defog
- Surf
- Waterfall

...I've always found that a competitive battler usually keeps aspects of competitive battling in his or her in-game teams :p Seriously, even my HM Slaves' natures are beneficial (Garchomp's Adamant and Dragonite's Lonely).

Last edited:

all my pokemon are pretty good natures too :)

im guessing like, you put where you are in the game, and people say how you could improve it to do better in that stage of the game?

and i've always hated HM slaves
i usually have HM moves worked into move sets like fly or surf. the other ones i've always just used a bibarel or somthing and just taken him out of the pc whenever i go through victory road or mt coronet or whatever :)

gabite level 33
dragon rage
sandstorm
slash
dragon claw

luxray level 33
bite
charge
spark
leer

houndoom level 33
fire fang
bite
roar
odersleuth

prinplup level 34
surf
growl
brine
metal claw

togekiss level 34
sweet kiss
aura spehe
fly
return

gallade
drain punch
leaf blade
psyco cut
swords dance

I'd probably dump Oder Sleuth (weirdest move name ever) on Houndoom for something like Thunder Fang, since you'll be dumping Luxray... and then maybe Peck on Prinplup over Growl? Water/Flying's a solid combo there and Dark/Electric/Fire is too... I usually go with the least resisted combos as possible on ingame Pokemon just in case one of your important party members faints.

Oh...

Well uh... I'm done with the game? Flygon's beaten the whole E4 by himself like... 3 times? And I mean the post-National Dex E4, not the crummy pre-National Dex one.

I dunno... I've just never seen the point in having more than one battler in the party since it's so easy. That's why I have HM Slaves.

Oh, in-game teams.

Scizor@something (haven't figured out items yet)
Adamant
Techician
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit/Night Slash (Night Slash is probably better in-game though)
- Slash/Superpower (after E4)
- X-Scissor

Mamoswine
Brave
Snow Cloak
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Strength (filler)
- Ancientpower (filler)

Ideas of moveset to Frontier? Superpower? Adamant?

Infernape
Adamant
Blaze
- Flame Wheel
- Mach Punch
- CC
- Strength (filler)

Needs some upgrading of moveset at least.

Vaporeon
Calm
Water Absorb
- Surf
- Aurora Beam/Ice Beam (after I get the TM)
- Aqua Ring
- Quick Attack

Haven't got the opportunity to breed for wish, got it from Bebe.

Gardevoir
Mild
Trace
- Psychic
- Magical Leaf/E-ball/Focus Blast/Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind/Focus Blast
- Wish/Thunderbolt/Focus Blast

Electabuzz/Electivire
Naive
Static/Motor Drive
- Thunderbolt
- Light Screen
- Low Kick/Cross Chop
- Swift

I'm thinking the frontier for some of these. I will replace some moves, but I'm reluctant to use TMs. Any ideas of EV-spreads and team to the frontier of these guys? And items too. Currently using plates and such.

How do you rate an in-game team? I dunno. QUESTIONABLE THREAD IS QUESTIONABLE.

Well, my favorite type is Dragon-type. Also, I usually only carry three Pokémon in my in-game party, consisting of one battler and my HM Slaves.

flygon3.png

Flygon (That's right, it's shiny) lvl 100
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Flamethrower

445_garchomp_1_m.png

Garchomp lvl 56
- Cut
- Strength
- Rock Climb
- Rock Smash

149.gif

Dragonite lvl 56
- Fly
- Defog
- Surf
- Waterfall

...I've always found that a competitive battler usually keeps aspects of competitive battling in his or her in-game teams :p Seriously, even my HM Slaves' natures are beneficial (Garchomp's Adamant and Dragonite's Lonely).

I never thought I'd see a Garchomp and a Dragonite as HM slaves...

Ah, sure, why not? Here's my current in-game Platinum team, going through Victory Road:

Empoleon (Napoleon) lvl. 60 (Modest nature)
-- Surf
-- Aqua Jet
-- Bubblebeam
-- Drill Peck

The thing's physical attack sucks, but I swept Maylene's gym with Bubblebeam as an Empoleon (so it was weak to whatever attack anything faster than it cared to shoot it's way). I have a feeling Napoleon here would actually make a good competitive Empoleon.

Roselia (Rorschach) lvl 58 (Calm nature)
-- Toxic
-- Leech Seed
-- Giga Drain
-- Magical Leaf

I do eventually plan on evolving him, but I want to get through Victory Road first so I can just fly back to Pastoria's move relearner and back. Served me quite well throughout the game.

Luxray (Ozymandias) lvl 57 (Impish nature)
-- Spark
-- Discharge
-- Crunch
-- Charge

Just my luck to get a pokemon with what I think is an IV of 30 in Sp. Atk, but a Sp. Atk reducing nature. Still, Ozy was invaluable in helping me catch Giratina, and has always managed to pull through for me.

Togetic (Spectre) lvl 60 (Mild nature)
-- Wish
-- Ancient Power
-- Yawn
-- Fly

Another I eventually plan on evolving. Not a lot to say here.

Gastrodon (Manhattan) lvl 60 (Rash nature)
-- Mud Bomb
-- Waterfall
-- Hidden Power (Steel)
-- Recover

Thanks to Totoro taking pity on my plight to randomly find a shiny East Sea Shellos, he was kind enough to chain Manhattan up there for me. This thing completely swept Volkner's gym no problem.

Houndoom (Nite Owl) lvl 57 (Bashful nature)
-- Crunch
-- Fire Fang
-- Flamethrower
-- Faint Attack

My pride and joy. Houndoom's always been one of my favorite pokemon, and Nite Owl here has reached the point where it can OHKO the Blissey the trainer on Victory Road has with one Crunch. I plan on using him a lot against Aaron and Lucian.

I never thought I'd see a Garchomp and a Dragonite as HM slaves...

See, I'm just cool like that :p Make the better ones slaves and the worst one my kick-ass shiny battler thing :) Also, it has max coolness and smartness 8D

So, I just got the the Elite Four building, and haven't battled my rival yet. Moment-of-truth opinion time, people: do I evolve my Roselia and Togetic now, or wait until after the Elite Four?

About to fight Byron

Torterra (COTT) .43 @ quick claw
-Mega Drain
-Razor leaf
-EQ
-Bite

Infernape (KEEMUN) .39
-Fire Punch
-Thunder "
-Close Combat
-BrickBreak

Empoleon (PINGU) . 42 @ wiseglasses
-Brine
-Aerial Ace
-Surf
- Steel Wing

Umbreon (LUNUX) .43
-Dig
-Faint Attack
-Dark Pulse
- Return

Staraptor (JEEZ) .42 @shell bell
-Fly
-Aerial Ace
-Close Combat
-Take down

#6 maybe Mamoswine?
-Ice Shard?
-Ice beam?
-EQ?
-AncientPower?

EDO-KUN, I would personally

So, I just got the the Elite Four building, and haven't battled my rival yet. Moment-of-truth opinion time, people: do I evolve my Roselia and Togetic now, or wait until after the Elite Four?

I see no reason why you shouldn't evolve them now (unless there's moves you need to learn or something like that.)

I need some opinions. What do you think of a team like this?;
Feraligatr [Vector]
Typhlosion [Knuckles]
Meganium [Haruka]
Electivire [Kenji]
Rhyperior [Rambi]
Espeon [Teru]
Umbreon [Anubis]
Froslass [Hikari]

The reason for 8 Pokémon is because this is my team for the IPGL.

if your using that team for the ipgl then it's most probably ev'd with the right natures with strategic sets, so that can just go in it's own thread in the normal forum :)

wow...this threads pretty popular :)

Yeah, I made sure to get all the right natures, EVs, and everything.

Figured I'd post my crew. Note, this will eventually be a competitive team, eventually (once I get to EV training and fixing some movesets)

Infernape (Inferno) holding Expert Belt: Level 88

Flare Blitz
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Earthquake

Pretty standard Infernape... Not much to say.

Scizor (Ryu) holding leftovers: Level 85
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Substitute
X-Scissor

Again, pretty standard. gets a sub up, then SD, then bullet punch spam

Staraptor (Mukuhawk) holding Shell Bell: Level 81
Fly
Brave Bird
Close Combat
Return

Return with STAB on a Poke with massive attack = death to everything that doesn't resist.

Garchomp (Landshark) holding Life Orb: Level 82
Swords Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Fang

again, pretty standard SD chomp. not much to say

Dragonite (Dragon!) holding Life Orb (damn straight I have two of them): Level 85
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Aqua Tail
Wing Attack

DD + Stab Outrage = Death to all that come across my buddy here.

Heatran (Flame) holding Charcoal: Level 91
Heat Wave
Earth Power
Magma Storm
Iron Head

massive Sp. Attack + High Powered STAB = death to anything that doesn't resist fire and ground.

Flaming Monkey, why not try putting Dragon Pulse on your Heatran over Iron Head? Dragon+Fire+Ground=coverage on everything. You've already got that type setup on your Garchomp.

Flaming Monkey, why not try putting Dragon Pulse on your Heatran over Iron Head? Dragon+Fire+Ground=coverage on everything. You've already got that type setup on your Garchomp.

you know, that's actually a great idea. I've been saving all my TM's so I still have that one. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom