• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

you know, that's actually a great idea. I've been saving all my TM's so I still have that one. Thanks for the tip.

No worries.

WOO! Just beat the Elite Four! ^_^ And the only changes I made are teaching my Empoleon Hydro Pump over Aqua Jet and Blizzard over Bubblebeam, and teaching Ice Beam to my Gastrodon over Water Pulse. Oh, and I messed up before...I had taught Waterfall to her over Hidden Power, not Water Pulse. I had some problems with Flint, but otherwise, it was fairly smooth sailing.

I also made a couple fairly useful discoveries. Don't know how useful they'll be to other people, but in case they're looking...
1. Your Rival's Snorlax has Immunity, not Thick Fat
2. Flint's Infernape has Earthquake :-/
3. Flint's Rapidash and Magmortar have Solar Beam
4. Cynthia's Spiritomb has Psychic (learned that the hard way when I started off with Rorschach...)
5. I had thought Cynthia's Milotic only had Surf and Ice Beam for moves, but it also has Dragon Pulse
6. Ozymandias' Charge was a godsend

Curious to see what other people make of my team, I am currently thinking of taking out Mamoswine for a Rhyperior, but I'm not sure.
I'm just about to hit Victory Road.

Empoleon(King)Lvl. 57 holding Lum berry
Serious
Waterfall
Ice Beam
Surf
Grass Knot

Electivire(Dr.Spark)Lvl. 57 holding Magnet
Modest
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Earthquake

Scizor(Blade)Lvl. 57 holding Iron Plate
Mild
X-Scissor
Pursuit
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance

Gallade(Lucifer)Lvl. 57 holding Coba berry
Serious
Swords Dance
Psycho Cut
Ice Punch
Leaf Blade

Gengar Lvl.57 holding Scope Lens (traded over from Diamond)
Modest
Hypnosis
Nightmare
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse

Mamoswine(Manny)Lvl. 57 holding NeverMeltIce
Docile
Ice Fang
Ice Shard
Strength(will be Stone Edge)
Earthquake

Last edited:

replace electivire's rock climb with earthquake, as it's an in game team the ev's will be prety mixed anyway a mixed set would be fine :)

and swords dance on scizor, for those opportunities where you end up agasint a pokemon that can do nothing to you :)

other than that, a really nice looking team :) i looove gallade

thanks, you're right Electivire's attack is only just behind his special attack :). cheers
Edit: just wanted to say that I was considering taking out Giratina for Gengar just for the E4, would that be a good move?

Last edited:

thanks, you're right Electivire's attack is only just behind his special attack :). cheers
Edit: just wanted to say that I was considering taking out Giratina for Gengar just for the E4, would that be a good move?
Depends really, Compare the 2, levels, stats and movesets. All i did was trade a lvl 100 palkia from my pearl to thrash it :)

based purely on type- moveset etc not determined yet, as I haven't got round to even beginning the team, not owning an english 4th gen game-

-Steelix
-Infernape or Blaziken
-Ludicolo
-Rotom (levitate)
-Kingdra
-Skarmory

by my calculation, they have overall at least +1 resistance to every type,
providing immunities are given as -3, double resistances +2, resistances +1, weaknesses -1, double weaknesses -2, and abilies giving immunity +2 (to account for things like gastro acid etc, also, levitate is paticularly easy to negate).
I only have the stated +1 against fire, flying, psycic, dragon, and ice, as the rest are +2 or more resistance

(note-I have excluded legendaries or any pokemon with double weaknesses, reguardless of their strength (having to do that to the magneton family made me shed a tear), as the former I consider cheating, (and cannot be obtained at level 1, and trained up properly) and the latter being not worth the risk (as I based my team on defensive typing, not good offensive moves, which can be given to most decent pokemon)

So I recently picked up my Emerald version again, and started from scratch. My current team is as follows:

Marshtomp, 27. Most dangerous member of my team. Going to be my Surfer.

Kirlia, 26. Every team in every game that I play always has a psychic type in it.

Hariyama, 26. My physical bruiser. Currently my Rock Smasher, but I plan to delete it. Future Strength user.

Loudred, 21. Filler. Considered being my Strength user before his stats went out of balance.

Breloom, 24. Not sure what I want to do with this. Less useful than I imagined.

Skarmory, 18. Recently caught. I like what I see. Future Flier, and my physical damage absorber. Defense stat makes other Pokes green with envy.

I am currently meandering around before the Team Magma mess on the mountain, before Flannery's gym. I don't do HM slaves because they're far too often wasted space, and I'd like to fill that space with something useful. I do not have access to a method of trading, so I cannot obtain the trade evos. What is the effectiveness of this party to level through the game? Is it possible for me to add a Fire-type? If so, which one? What changes can I make to this team? (Note: Kirlia and Marshtomp I will not change, and I want to keep Skarmory if at all possible).

nice team so far..and you should use breloom as a sporer with mach punch :) loudred could be really good :) it has great stats, and so does skarmory :)

well rounded team :)

I appreciate your praise, but it isn't any help.

haha i mean
if your unsure about how to use breloom, give him spore and mach punch, and sub a focus punch, great combo :)

and that you should use loudred as a sort of bulky attacker, and skarmory as a wall. :)

haha i mean
if your unsure about how to use breloom, give him spore and mach punch, and sub a focus punch, great combo :)

and that you should use loudred as a sort of bulky attacker, and skarmory as a wall. :)

You're still no help. I'm not asking about Breloom or Loudred. Both are the most expendable members of my team. Loudred in particular I plan to shuffle out.

I'm not asking for an ego boost. I'm asking for advice. I can't use what you're giving me.

You're still no help. I'm not asking about Breloom or Loudred. Both are the most expendable members of my team. Loudred in particular I plan to shuffle out.

I'm not asking for an ego boost. I'm asking for advice. I can't use what you're giving me.

You want advice? For an in-game team?
Here's some advice: It's called leveling up.

In the meantime, instead of telling him that he is of no help and putting him down for his compliments (Really?), how about thank him for what he is saying? There's really no "advice" you can give an in-game team, because (As I've said so many times and it still makes me wonder why people want their in-game teams "rated") all you have to do is raise your Pokemon to higher levels than your opponent. You could probably sweep at least half of the E4 with a lvl 90 or higher Treecko.

Seriously, in the words of the great Jon Stewart, "Be a fucking person".

You're supposed to post movesets.

...and this isn't a thread for "Look at my awesome level 100 team!", either.

----

Honestly, I really disagree with the whole "Oh, just grind goddammit!" idea. Some people don't want to hear shit like that, some people want to keep their team, oh I don't know, actually balanced with the rest of the game and enjoy the game? Sometimes people just want to know if they should swap out ____ Pokemon for ____ Gym Leader. Sometimes people want to know if they should pack ____ move for _____ E4 member. Some people just don't want to grind.

So I recently picked up my Emerald version again, and started from scratch. My current team is as follows:

Marshtomp, 27. Most dangerous member of my team. Going to be my Surfer.

Kirlia, 26. Every team in every game that I play always has a psychic type in it.

Hariyama, 26. My physical bruiser. Currently my Rock Smasher, but I plan to delete it. Future Strength user.

Loudred, 21. Filler. Considered being my Strength user before his stats went out of balance.

Breloom, 24. Not sure what I want to do with this. Less useful than I imagined.

Skarmory, 18. Recently caught. I like what I see. Future Flier, and my physical damage absorber. Defense stat makes other Pokes green with envy.

I am currently meandering around before the Team Magma mess on the mountain, before Flannery's gym. I don't do HM slaves because they're far too often wasted space, and I'd like to fill that space with something useful. I do not have access to a method of trading, so I cannot obtain the trade evos. What is the effectiveness of this party to level through the game? Is it possible for me to add a Fire-type? If so, which one? What changes can I make to this team? (Note: Kirlia and Marshtomp I will not change, and I want to keep Skarmory if at all possible).

Hmmm. A Fire-type... I'd be suggesting Vulpix but that's pretty far off from where you are right now (post 5th badge). Breloom sticks out to me on this team for some reason... I think it might be because outside of Kirlia you're lacking something that hits hard on the special side. Maybe a Ludicolo, or since you already have a Water-type, Cradily?

The only good Fire-types I can think of in Hoenn though are Camerupt (which has... really blah typing, especially for ingame where Water-types are going to be everywhere) and Ninetales, which you don't get until later in the game. Sorry. ^_^;

Last edited:

These are my Pokemon in Platinum, beat the Elite Four yesterday

Torterra LV.69
Female
Lonely
Overgrow
Pokerus
Moves:
Earthquake
Crunch
Giga Drain
Razor Leaf

Heracross LV.64
Male
Lonely
Swarm
Pokerus
Moves:
Aerial Ace
Megahorn
Brick Break
Reversal

Electivire LV.58
Female
Relaxed
Motor Drive
Pokerus
Moves:
Shock Wave
Thunderbolt
Thunder Punch
Discharge

Tangrowth LV.50
Female
Modest
Chlorophyll
Pokerus
Moves:
Vine Whip
Ancient Power
Mega Drain

Am going to teach Tangrowth Solar Beam soon, have got the TM for it.

Garchomp LV.48
Bashful
Sand Veil
Pokerus
Moves:
Crunch
Slash
Dragon Claw
Dig

Giratina LV.47
Hasty
Pressure
Pokerus
Moves:
Ominous Wind
Ancient Power
Dragon Claw
Shadow Force

Azumarill LV.41
Male
Sassy
Huge Power
Moves:
Bubble Beam
Aqua Ring
Double-Edge
Rain Dance

Houndoom LV.37
Male
Calm
Early Bird
Pokerus
Moves:
Faint Attack
Fire Fang
Bite
Odor Sleuth

Pokemon I have I also plan to train

Magmar LV.31
Male
Impish
Flame Body
Moves:
Faint Attack
Fire Spin
Confuse Ray
Fire Punch

Gastrodon LV.30
Female
Hasty
Sticky Hold
Moves:
Mud Bomb
Hidden Power
Rain Dance
Body Slam

Mantyke LV.33 Male
Snorunt LV.33 Female (will evolve into Froslass)
Swinub LV.33 Female
Sudowoodo LV.30 Female
Magnemite LV.29
Scvther LV.27 Female
Porygon LV.25
Kirlia LV.24 Male (not sure whether to evolve into Gardevior or Gallade)
Rotom LV.25
Rhyhorn LV.23 Female
Onix LV.22 Female
Several Yanma

Last edited:

You want advice? For an in-game team?
Here's some advice: It's called leveling up.

In the meantime, instead of telling him that he is of no help and putting him down for his compliments (Really?), how about thank him for what he is saying? There's really no "advice" you can give an in-game team, because (As I've said so many times and it still makes me wonder why people want their in-game teams "rated") all you have to do is raise your Pokemon to higher levels than your opponent. You could probably sweep at least half of the E4 with a lvl 90 or higher Treecko.

Seriously, in the words of the great Jon Stewart, "Be a fucking person".

rinsed ;)

Anyway, finished with E4 on Platinum, my team consists of the following

dpmfa392.png

Adamant

Strength
Flame Wheel
Mach Punch
Close Combat

Infernape was my starter, but he's also my weakest link. Pretty weak to ghost too

dpmfa212.png

Adamant
Techician

Bullet Punch
Pursuit/Night Slash (I think Night Slash is better in-game)
Swords Dance
X-Scissor

Pretty obvious what this guy does. Swept Lucian with this guy alone, after an SD he Bullet Punched all to an early retirement except Bronzong, and that's what X-Scissor is for. Planned to do the same with Cynthia, but her Garchomp fried me... Pretty solid otherwise

dpmfa473.png

Brave
Snow Cloak

Ice Shard
Earthquake
Blizzard (soon to be Superpower)
Strength

Just to use his attack-power, Strength is there just to do damage. Nearly as good as Scizor in pure power.

dpmfa282.png

Mild
Trace

Psychic
Thunderbolt
Calm Mind
Magical Leaf (still considering E-ball or Focus Blast, shame to waste a E-ball TM though. Didn't need Focus Blast in E4, and easily killed Whischash)

She (she's female, although Gardevoir can be male) has decent coverage and excellent Sp. Attack, but I'm still thinking about her moveset. And I just love Gardevoir

dpmfa134.png

Calm

Surf
Ice Beam
Aqua Ring
Quick Attack

Though it doesn't have excellent attack, Quick Attack finishes foes better, and can help catching wild pokémon. Pretty obvious what Vaporeon does otherwise.

dpmfa125.png

Naive

Thunderbolt
Light Screen
Low Kick
Swift

He's fast, and has sufficent attacking power. Still considering evolving him though, I'd an like Electivire and I can easily get Electirizers on Diamond. I just need to trade him though. Any help with doing this?

that looks like a brill team :) i cant believe your infernape is the weak link though :S is it close to learning flare blitz? :)

night slash is definatly better in game :)

i think giving gardevoir energy ball would be a good idea :) you can get them easy enough by finding someone on here to trade it for :)

Thanks, I bred 4 of these on Diamond, I was a bit bored.

I'll probably switch it out. It was either Calm Mind + Focus Blast/E-ball or just Focus Blast and E-ball. I haven't found the E-ball TM as of yet, but that won't take long.

My Infernape is my weakest link because I can't find a lot of places to level it up, it's way to frail. I have a Lucky Egg, but that doesn't help him as much as the others when 4 getting boost from Lucky egg and being traded. It's in level 52, and I don't know what level he learns Flare Blitz, but I'll check Bulbapedia later.

I think I'll erase the EVs (all random of course) and EV-train them. And maybe replace Infernape. I don't like him all that much anyway. I'm thinking fire, but there's not too many fire-types out there. Or maybe I'll just migrate my Dragonite from FireRed when I've beat E4 for the second time.

Back
Top Bottom