• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

So I'm really frustrated with the e4, and myself for not planning out what I was going to do with my team... untill now.
So far, I'm rocking;

Rhyperior (lv. 51)
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Rock Polish (no idea why he has this..)
Hammer Arm

Charizard (lv. 51)
Fire Spin (again, no idea..)
Fly
Flamethrower
Fire Fang

Torterra (lv. 50)
Cut
Rock Climb
Earthquake
Razor Leaf

Alakazam (lv. 58)
Shadow Ball
Shock Wave (might change that out with thunder... but I'm debating)
Focus Blast
Psychic

Gyarados (lv. 48)
Ice Fang
Aqua Tail
Dragon Dance
Waterfall

and I'm constantly switching between an Electrivire (all elec. based attacks), Sneasel (Metal Claw, Ice Punch, Slash, Shadow Claw), Rotom (Frost Rotom), Togekiss (Yawn, Fly, Metronome, Dream Eater), and Giratina (Your standard fresh-caught Giratina. :p). (levels 51, 44, 40, 38 and 47 respectively.)

And I'm getting my face eaten by Cynthia EVERYSINGLETIME! What am I doing wrong? I'm too attached to my Charizard, plus he's pretty high leveled now to use my Houndoom, and I'm slowly but surely leveling up my Gyarados so when he's 50-ish, he'll be able to eat some faces nomnomnom.

All you readers out there, what do you think?

Here's my Platinum team, and I think I trained them pretty well. Defeating the E4 is not a challenge anymore.

Salamence Lv90 @ Wide Lens
Rash
Fire Fang
Dragon Rush
Outrage
Fly
My best one. Got Dragon Rush through breeding, Outrage through Move tutor and fire fang through move relearner. It usually takes out Lucians whole team, besides Bronzong.

Vaporeon Lv93 @ Mystic Water
Hardy
Surf
Ice Beam
Hydro Pump
Waterfall
My surfer. But with its great Sp.Atk its surf makes it an awesome water type. If only it wasnt so slow... Waterfall is just there for convenience. I could replace it....:eek:hdear: It has a really high level since it deals with both Bertha and Flint.

Infernape Lv89 @ Black Belt
Mild
Flamethrower
Brick Break
Blast Burn
ThunderPunch
My fire type and fighting type. No normal type can survive when my infernape comes! ThunderPunch is helpful for Water and Flying types.

Staraptor Lv89 @ Sky Plate
Docile
Aerial Ace
Brave Bird
Fly
Giga Impact
My Flyer. I mostly use it for raw power in-battle though.

Metagross Lv84 @ Expert Belt
Lonely
Zen Headbutt
Meteor Mash
Hammer Arm
Earthquake
Since I coudnt evolve my Graveler, I decided to put Metagross. It doubles as my Psychic type and my quaker, though quaking is not that useful when it comes to fire types. If I eventually get Golem, then they would probably switch places often. Once again speed is an issue.

Luxray Lv85 @ Leftovers
Naive
Thunderbolt
Thunder Fang
Thunder
Crunch
My solid electric type. Crunch comes in use when dealing with Psychic types. And no Gyrados can live for more than 5 seconds. If only it was faster.... Luxray is usually replaced with a Pokémon that I need to train or something, as I find not much need for an Electric type.

So heres my team. Give me some suggestions to make them better, but not full moveset changes. I like their current setting.

EDIT: As an extra, I'm training my Graveler, until I can get it to evolve.

Graveler Lv63
Timid
Rock Blast
Earthquake
ThunderPunch
Rock Smash
Now, obviously this one needs some work.
1) Rock Blast needs to be replaced with either Rock Slide or Stone Edge.
2) Rock Smash needs to be replaced with some other move that is useful.
So either I have both Rock Slide and Stone edge or one if them, and some other useful move.

So people, help me out here.

Note: Levels are due to change without any notice.

Last edited:

Restarted FireRed because I miss my Mewtwo, and here's my team so far:

pkfrlg002.png

Ivysaur (Starter obviously)
lv 29
Nature: Rash
~ Razor Leaf
~ Secret Power
~ Sleep Powder
~ Leech Seed

pkfrlg130.png

Gyarados
lv 30
Lonely
Item: BlackGlasses
~ Surf
~ Secret Power
~ Bite
~ Dragon Rage

pkfrlg036.png

Clefable
lv 30
Jolly
~ Mega Punch
~ Brick Break
~ Water Pulse
~ Shock Wave
(This thing is a beast... if only Mega Kick had Mega Punch's PP)

pkfrlg034.png

Nidoking
lv 31
~ Dig
~ Strength
~ Rock Tomb
~ Brick Break

pkfrlg031.png

Nidoqueen
lv 30
Impish
~ Dig
~ Brick Break
~ Attract
~ Double Team

Gahhh... I hate that I don't have better moves... actually Clefable's Atk and SpA are very close so that isn't much of an issue... but seeing as she has the best moveset out of all of them, that just shows my lack of options :/ I'm at Koga right now... all I have left are Nidoqueen and Nidoking (newest additions to the team)... currently Nidoqueen has Attracted and maxed Double Team against Weezing (Koga's final) and now has it down to half health. I'm probably going to switch to Nidoking for the kill since a potion would be devastating to this battle (and would most likely cause my loss).

This battle with Koga goes down as the longest stall-war I've ever been in, both competitively and in-game.

After this I'm doing some serious level-grinding.

EDIT: Koga just used his Hyper Potion on Weezing, putting it back at max health, but now that its entire moveset has been revealed (Tackle/Smokescreen/Toxic/Sludge) and I believe Tackle is out of PP (Yes, Tackle is out of PP. I told you the battle was long), Nidoking shouldn't have any trouble.

EDIT 2: After Nidoqueen ran out of PP, my Struggle war began. Weezing was still having a horrible time of hitting me between being infatuated and me having 6 Double Teams. Koga used another Hyper Potion on Weezing, and Nidoqueen got Weezing down to half health before being KOd by Weezing's Sludge. Nidoking came out and made the KO.

Last edited:

Here's my Platinum team, and I think I trained them pretty well. Defeating the E4 is not a challenge anymore.

Give Infernape Grass Knot to take out pesky water types.

If you want to trade-trade back your Graveller to evolve it I'll gladly do it. I need to trade-trade back my Duskclops with someone to evolve it too.

Give Infernape Grass Knot to take out pesky water types.

If you want to trade-trade back your Graveller to evolve it I'll gladly do it. I need to trade-trade back my Duskclops with someone to evolve it too.

Id rather give it Thunder Punch as I can use that against Flying types too.

Yeah, I have alot of trade-evos due. Electabuzz, Rhydon, Graveler, the list goes on and on.

But, lets stop going off-topic now:yahoo:

haha i mean
if your unsure about how to use breloom, give him spore and mach punch, and sub a focus punch, great combo :)

and that you should use loudred as a sort of bulky attacker, and skarmory as a wall. :)

It's kind of a pain to get spore and mach punch on Breloom if you're just going through the game, isn't it?

A blast from the past: my team from my replay of Yellow!

Pikachu lvl. 36
-- Thunderbolt
-- Slam
-- Quick Attack
-- Thunder Wave

Nidorino lvl. 36
-- Fury Attack
-- Horn Attack
-- Poison Sting
-- Double Kick

Sandslash lvl 33
-- Scratch
-- Poison Sting
-- Slash
-- Sand Attack

Blastoise lvl. 36
-- Withdraw
-- Bite
-- Bubble
-- Water Gun

Charizard lvl 36
-- Fly
-- Slash
-- Ember
-- Leer

Venusaur lvl 33
-- Tackle
-- Poison Powder
-- Leech Seed
-- Razor Leaf

I just went through Route 12 (south of Lavender Town) AND everyone on Cycling Road, and am about to go through the Silph Co. Building to get some additional experience before taking on Koga and Sabrina. However, I want to give my pokemon some better moves...but I can't decide what to use, and on who. Suggestions all around would be nice (and yes, I know I need to level up a bit more, why do you think I'm going through all these extra areas BEFORE the gyms?)

Last edited:

My team in Sapphire, beat Victory Road but for some reason I'm outside of Petalburg (Haven't played in a while)

Blaziken (Din)
Lvl 47
Double Kick
Slash
Bulk Up
Blaze Kick

Manectric (Bob)
Lvl 40
Secret Power
Bite
Thunderbolt
Strength

Swellow (Willow)
Lvl 39
Aerial Ace
Fly
Steel Wing
Quick Attack

Cradily (Zetsu)
Lvl 45
Rock Smash
Toxic
Acid
Giga Drain

Gardevoir (Hikari)
Lvl 40
Psychic
Shock Wave
Double Team
Calm Mind

Kyogre
Lvl 45
Thunder
Waterfall
Icebeam
Surf

Last edited:

Platinum team,Im battling the Elite four.

Crobat Level 50
--Wing Attack
--Confuse Ray
--Pluck
--Poison Fang

Infernape Level 56
--Mach Punch
--Leer
--Flame Wheel
--Close Combat

Rhydon Level 45
--Hammer Arm
--Take Down
--Stone Edge (Finally it learned this attack. Aarons Yanmega would destroy half my team before.
--Iron Tail

Tangrowth Level 49
--Poison Powder
--Ancient Power
--Stun Spore
--Mega Drain

Gyarados Level 46
--Hydro Pump
--Fire Blast
--Dragon Dance
--Dragon Rage

Piloswine Level 39 ( Newest Addition)
--Endure
--Takedown
--Icy Wind
--Mud Bomb

Any suggestion on how it could improve?

^ If you want to evolve your Piloswine, bring a heart scale to the move relearner in Pastoria and teach it Ancient Power. Also, you've got Dragon Dance on Gyarados, but no physical moves, and it's special attack sucks. Give it Waterfall and let it learn (or remember) Ice Fang, for starters. Then maybe spare an Earthquake TM on it, or go to the move tutor and teach it Bounce.

Thanks,I was wondering how i would evolve my Piloswine.I will change some of my Gyarados attacks to.

I restarted Ruby and have caught 4 Skitty, 2 of which apparently have good IVs, but I'm not sure which to choose

Lvl 7 Gentle
HP 24 (IV 7)
Atk 13 (IV 28)
Def 11 (28)
SpAtk 11 (22)
SpDef (22)
Spd 12 (7)

Lvl 8 Quiet
HP 27 (18)
Atk 12 (4)
Def 14 (27)
SpAtk 13 (23)
SpDef 12 (23)
Spd 13 (28)

I was aiming for Adamant or Naughty but couldn't find any (Since Skitty are rare, and I've been looking for them for HOURS, four was all I could actually find)

So I got my copy of Fire Red today, and I just started.

I'm at Brock right now with this team

Charmander: Level 13

Scratch
Growl
Ember
Metal Claw

Butterfree: Level 11
Tackle
String Shot
Confusion
Harden

Pidgey: Level 9
Tackle
Quick Attack

Pikachu: Level 8
Thundershock
Growl
Quick Attack

my plan for the team is get rid of Butterfree for a Alakazam, evolve Pikachu into a Raichu, and add Machamp and Golem

I've been going through Pearl since I lost my Diamond copy. It was really easy since I picked the cheapest team known to Pokemankind.

Infernape @ 45:

Mach Punch
Close Combat
Flamethrower
Hidden power (ice. I got really lucky at the beginning of the game)

Blissey @ 46:

Softboiled
Sing
Ice Beam (game corner TM)
Thunderbolt (same as above)

Misdreavus @ 45:

Perish song
Substitute
Mean Look
Shadow Ball

Alakazam @ 46:

Psychic
Recover (might become focus blast)
Calm Mind
Disable ( will become trick)

And Last is my Tentacruel:

Toxic Spikes
Poison Jab
Surf
Water Pulse

This team is really cheap. Blissey's only died once, Misdreavus can handle the incredibly hard foes, Infernape can get opponents in one hit, Alakazam is good long-term, and Tentacruel is good for other, general things.

I'm in Rustboro City in Ruby. I got bored and decided to challenge myself and use Ruby's team from Pokemon Special, even getting the right genders (The only exception is Feebas/Moltic, which I'm not getting since I have Mudkip, so Taillow instead)

Lvl 13 Zuzu/Mudkip (Male)
Tackle
Growl
Mud-Slap
Water Gun

Lvl 11 Nana/Poochyena (Fem)
Tackle
Howl
Sand-Attack

Lvl 10 Ruru/Ralts (Fem)
Growl
Confusion

Lvl 10 Susu/Taillow (Fem)
Peck
Growl
Focus Energy
Quick Attack

Lvl 7/8 Coco/Skitty (Fem)
Growl
tackle
Tail Whip
Attract

I still haven't decided on which Skitty to use yet, though. Can someone help me decide?

Last edited:

Guys im really stuck on the elite four on emerald and i really need lots of help!!

This is the team im using so far all sugestions wanted!

Swampert 66 Amulet coin

Atacks
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Muddy water
- Earthquake

Flygon 51 Quick claw

Atacks
- Fly
- Bite
- Dragon breath
- Dragon claw

Gigados (gyarados) 41

Atacks
- Dive
- Dragon rage
- Hydro pump
- Waterfall

Gardevoir 33

Atacks
- Seceret power
- Flash
- Confusuion
- Psychic

Glailie 42

Atacks
- Hail
- Flash
- Protect
- Icebeam

Bagon 35

Atacks
- Headbutt
- Focus energy
- Emeber
- Dragon breath

So yeah this is my team and its still training... If anyone thinks baygon / shelgons a bad idea I have a Raichu but its not very good =p

:evil::evil: I will finaly kill walace :evil: :evil:

I'm running through Ruby, I'll post mine later. My trick to beat E4 is just leveling them to a point were you have all (or at least most) at the highest level of the champion, but that's me. Leaves me with a well-trained team afterwards though.

You'll have to change something on that Gyarados. Three water-type moves are a waste, and a fixed-damage move doesn't help you all that much. Remember, water-moves are all special in gen. III, but it looks like your using him as a HM-slave. I'd gove him Strength, for in-game purposes, and it comes of his better attack-stat too. I don't know otherwise. Drop Dive at least, just catch a Tentacool and teach it Dive instead. I usually go Ice Beam on in-game Swamperts, help him handle grass more easily. Does hail power up Blizzard accuracy in gen III? In that case, Blizzard is fine, although it has crappy PP, so be wary.

Bite<<Crunch on Flygon, even though they're all special attacks. Fly should work fine though. I'd go for just Dragon Claw when you've used the TM, and run Earthquake (if you're willing to sacrifice the TM though).

Give Gardevoir Thunderbolt, I'd say. Gardevoir didn't have the best movepool in gen III, so I usually struggle with moveset. Perhaps Hypnosis? At least, remove confusion for thunderbolt.

Glalie looks fine, not sure about flash. I think Double Team is better. It's better to heigthen your own evasion than to lower the opponents accuracy, or at least that's what I think anyway.

A Salamence is really a nice addition to your team, I'd go for it.

EDIT:
I decided to post my own Ruby-team. Please "rate". Soon to surf to Mossdeep after beating Team Magma in their hideput, taking the Master Ball with me to catch a shiny Rayquaza later.
Swampert@Soft Sand, level 39
Careful
Muddy Water
Mud Shot (to be Earthquake)
Surf
Ice Beam

Starter, and decent in power. Not much to say here

Aggron@Hard Stone
Jolly, Rock Head, level 42
HP rock
Aerial Ace
Strength
Metal Claw/Iron Tail. Currently Metal Claw, hate the accuracy, and Metal Claw has yet to fail me

Poerful, and very defensive, Aggron beats the crap oy of anything that doesn't carry Earthquake or fighting-moves

Skarmory@Macho Brace (for training)
Bold (sigh, better than Modest anyway), Sturdy (wanted Keen Eye), level 35
Air Cutter
Fly (for in-game reasons)
Swift
Steel Wing

Not too good nature, but I take what I get. Love throwing Swift in the face of sand-attack/Double Team-spammers.

Gardevoir@Nothing
Hasty, Trace, level 37
Psychic
Calm Mind
Thunderbolt
Reflect

Reflect helps defense, and she destroys things well

Vibrava (to be Flygon obviously)@Quick Claw
Naugthy, level 39
Dragonbreath
HP Fighting
Crunch
Strength

Powerful (as a Flygon). Thinking of sacrificing my Earthquake TM, but that'll be later anyway. Have four on Platinum anyway.

I haven't been able to catch my last team-member, a Bagon yet. It's currently a Linoone, level 30, that doubles as a HM-slave and pick-up guy. However, this is how it's going to be.

Salamence@???
??? nature, Intimdate
Dragon Claw
Crunch ???
Brick Break ??? (maybe I'll have this on Flygon instead)
Flamethrower

This wastes his attack, but he has decent enough Sp. Attack anyway, so I'm not that concerned.

Needs leveling, but I'm happy with it

Last edited:

Currently battling Brawly in Ruby, Poochyena and Skitty have died but Machop didn't stand a chance against Ralts. Seeing as how Ruru's fought and won't die (I used 5/6 Double Teams), I think I'm gonna switch for Marshtomp and not use Taillow, since it hasn't fought lately (except for help for training in Granite Cave).

Nana/Poochyena- Lvl 17 (1 more for Mightyena)
Quick Claw
Tackle
Howl
Sand-Attack
Bite

Coco/Skitty- Lvl 17
Silk Scarf
Tackle
Sing (Used it 3 times and it missed and got killed by Attracted Machop)
Tail Whip
Attract

Susu/Taillow- Lvl 17
Wing Attack
Growl
Focus Energy
Quick Attack

Zuzu/Marshtomp- Lvl 19
Tackle
Growl
Mud Shot
Water Gun

I also have a Zigzagoon in my team, but it's an HMslave since no one in my team could learn cut (if it can, I'll teach it Rock Smash), plus I'm gonna use it Pickup for items (Since I wasted so much money on potions for training)

Fighting my Way through FireRed I'm at the E4 and I'm no were near strong enough, and i wanted to catch suicune. My Team -
RainDrop - Vaporeon
Level - 47
Health- 189
Toxic
Water pulse
Surf
Aurora Beam

Fang- Golbat (Wont evolve because of Pokedex...)
Level - 42
Health- 129

Wing attack
Mean look
Confuse Ray
Bite

Snore - Snorlax
Level - 42
Health- 191

Dug - Dugetrio
Level - 42
Health- 86