• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

^ I suggest replacing Aurora Beam with Ice Beam and Water Pulse with Bite (Since it's considered a Special Move in FR for being a Dark-type) on Vaporeon. Level up Golbat to 49 so it can learn Poison Fang for Mean Look, or just teach it Sludge Bomb. Post Snorlax's moveset too. For Dugtrio, replace Sandtomb with Tri-Attack, get rid of Cut for Slash or Aerial Ace, and level it to up 51 and replace Magnitude with Earthquake. For Butterfree, replace Psybeam with Psychic, Safeguard with Silver Wind (Lvl 47), and Gust with Giga Drain. For Charizard, Get rid of either Flamethrower or Blast Burn (The recharge next turn isn't really worth it) with Slash (Lvl 44), and Scary Face for Dragon Claw or Earthquake, and you're good to go. Though it'd be best to level up a lot, because Gary/Green's Starter is at lvl 65 I think.

Battling Norman, most likely gonna lose.

Skitty- Lvl 28 (Higher lvl cause she's not evolving for a while)
Silk Scarf
Tackle
Assist
Charm
Faint Attack

Swellow- Lvl 27
King's Rock (I know, useless on a Swellow)
Wing Attack
Double Team
Focus Energy
Quick Attack

Kirlia- Lvl 27
Quick Claw
Psychich
Shock Wave
Double Team
Calm Mind

Mightyena- Lvl 27
Blackglasses
Strength
Howl
Sand-Attack
Bite

Marshtomp- Lvl 30
Soft Sand
Rock Tomb
Growl
Mud Shot
Water Gun (Obviously replacing with Surf after I win)

Last edited:

First of all, don't double post.

Second, yeah you're definitely going to lose :p I had two lvl 35s along with the rest of the team and still didn't win. Your best bet is NOT to save, and only use Potions and other items when you know you have a chance. Then your Pokemon can level up.

First of all, don't double post.

Second, yeah you're definitely going to lose :p I had two lvl 35s along with the rest of the team and still didn't win. Your best bet is NOT to save, and only use Potions and other items when you know you have a chance. Then your Pokemon can level up.

Whoops, sorry.
I beat him, though the first time, Mightyena killed all 3 of this Pokemon, but the 2nd time Swellow beat the 1st Slaking, Mightyena and Vigoroth, then Marshtomp vs 2nd Slaking.

EDIT: Got Castform. Its getting a bit annoying needing to use RD/SD/H then WB to attack. It may have higher Def and Sp.D than most of my Pkmn but needing to change the weather just makes it more likely that it'll die. Should I just get ice beam, flamethrower, and thunderbolt and get rid of WB and 2 weather moves?

Last edited:

hello, what do you think about my team:

milotic
- hydro pump
- aqua tail
- safeguard
- recover
glaceon
- ice beam
- blizzard
- mirror coat
- ice fang
magmortar
- fire blast
- flamethrower
- lava plume ( heat wave? )
- iron tail
magnezone
- zap cannon
- thunderbolt
- flash cannon
- gyro ball
torterra
- leaf storm
- earthquake
- crunch ( solarbeam? )
- synthesis
salamence
- fly
- dragon claw
- dragonbreath
- protect

Last edited:

Mama Luigi, I'd just pick one weather (One that benefits your team the most) and base Castform off of that. Like, Sunny Day/Weather Ball (Fire)/Solar Beam/Ice Beam, Rain Dance/Weather Ball (Water)/Thunder/Ice Beam, or Hail/Weather Ball (Ice)/Thunderbolt/Something.

Well, I'm recording footage for a Diamond walkthrough that will be uploaded starting August 25. Here's my team so far:

Emperor (Prinplup) Lv.22
- Pound
- Metal Claw
- Bubble
- Peck

Denki Lion (Luxio) Lv.20
- Tackle
- Thief
- Spark
- Bite

Doku Bloom (Budew) Lv.21
- Mega Drain
- Stun Spore
- Hidden Power (Electric)
- Growth

Spiride (Drifloon) Lv.25
- Gust
- Focus Energy
- Payback
- Stockpile

HM Slave (Bidoof)
- Tackle
- Rock Smash
- Cut
- (no move)

I have 2 Badges so far.

on pokemon platinum, i am focusing my team with five pokemon.

they are:
Gliscor Lv 87 with Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang and Earthquake
Infernape Lv 88 with Flamethrower, Overheat, Rock Smash and Rock Climb
Mamoswine Lv 87 with Ice Shard, Strength, Blizzard and Earthquake
Floatzel Lv 97 with Surf, Waterfall, Aqua Jet and Brine
Staraptor Lv 95 with Fly, Aerial Ace, Close Combat and Brave Bird

Could anyone help me with this Luxray? I know it can do alot more, so if someone could give a few pointers...?

Anyway, here's its current status:
405.png

Luxray
Nature: Naive
Item: Leftovers
~ Thunderbolt
~ Thunder Fang
~ Thunder
~ Crunch

So yeah, I'm sure it can do alot more, than take out Gyrados, so could someone help me out? Also, how would one find out their Pokémon's EVs?

Well I was playing Sapphire through and I decided to pick th most random team I could think of. I don't know if it is the best team and I don't know if it is the worst team. However I probably do need some help with it as I am fairly still in the beginning of Sapphire.

Pokemon: Grimer
Ability: Stench
Level: 24
Moves: Pound
Minimize
Disable
Sludge

Pokemon: Slugma
Ability: Magma Armour
Level: 25
Moves: Yawn
Rock Smash
Ember
Rock Slide

Pokemon: Electrike
Ability: Lightningrod
Moves: Quick Attack
Thunder Wave
Spark
Strength

Pokemon: Spoink
Ability: Own Tempo
Moves: Psywave
Odor Sleuth
Psybeam
Psych Up

Pokemon: Grovyle
Ability: Overgrow
Moves: Fury Cutter
Pursuit
Absorb
Quick Attack

Pokemon: Azumarill
Ability: Huge Power
Level: 26
Moves: Tackle
Defense Curl
Rollout
Bubblebeam

@ The King of Nidos:

You have three pokemon weak to ground, a minor annoyance really since it's in-game. Though you need a pokemon that can learn fly since you're going to need that. If I were you, I'd cut Grimer or Spoink.

Staraptor Lv 95 with Fly, Aerial Ace, Close Combat and Brave Bird

Funny, my in-game Staraptor on Diamond has excactly the same moveset. Works OK in-game though.

Done a major rethinking of my Platinum-team, but unfortunately, Politoed666 has two of my pokémon, a Duskull and a Totodile, but I'll get them soon enough. It'll probably look like this when it's finished

Scizor, Tangrowth, Arcanine, Feraligatr, Politoed and Dusknoir.

I'll post moves, natures and such when I have started to train 'em. But I have a fairly good idea what it'll look like.

Yeah Pheonicks I was thinking of cutting grimer or spoink for a flyer because grimer is pretty good when he evolves but....he doesn't evolve until level 38 which is pretty far into the game.

Okay, just about to go to the E4, will this team suffice? I'm not very good and I don't get all the IV's/EV's crap, so any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Empoleon: Lv. 48
Nature: Gentle
Ability: Torrent
- Waterfall
- Shadow Claw
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Rapidash: Lv. 48
Nature: Modest
Ability: Run Away
- Fire Blast
- Strength
- Stomp
- Flamethrower
LOTS OF HELP NEEDED PLEASE. :/

Roserade: Lv. 49
Nature: Modest
Ability: Natural Cure
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb

Staraptor: Lv. 49
Nature: Impish
Ability: Indimidate
- Fly
- Steel Wing
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Luxray: Lv. 50
Nature: Mild
Ability: Intimidate
- Crunch
- Spark
- Shock Wave
- Bite
Help needed here too please. :/

Steelix: Lv. 49
Nature: Serious
Ability: Sturdy
- Crunch
- Dragonbreath
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge

Balanced, alright?
Comments wanted ty. (Y)

@ Flux:

Right before you battle the E4 (after you've reached the league and have no real need for most of the HMs), you should get rid of the useless HMs on some of your pokemon (Surf, Rock Smash, Strength) and replace them with Move Relearner moves or TMs. Anything to give you a better movepool.

Are you in Platinum or D/P? That would help a little bit.

I suggest that you give Luxray Thunder Fang (instead of Spark). Also, Empoleon could use some better moves. Replace Waterfall with either Brine or Aqua Jet.

Additionally, just a heads-up, but when you fight Cynthia, lead with Roserade and have it use Toxic Spikes. It makes the battle easier IMO.

Flux, I disagree with Phoenicks on only one point -- Surf is NOT a useless HM. That move alone can completely sweep Flint, especially in Platinum.

Playing through Fire Red for the first time! Tips on my team? I just got to Celedon City

Ivysaur (lvl 35)
Careful
-- Tackle
-- Sleep Powder
-- Leech Seed
-- Razor Leaf
Yes, I'm delaying it's evolution. I think the only decent move it's got left to learn in Solar Beam, though...

Dratini (lvl 18)
Modest
-- Wrap
-- Leer
-- Thunder Wave
-- Twister
Just bought him from the Game Corner, and completely lucked out with the nature, since I needed a Special pokemon other than Ivysaur (which I didn't realize had a -Sp. Atk. nature...d'oh). Obviously, leveling up needs to be done.

Gyarados (lvl. 30)
Jolly
-- Tackle
-- Splash
-- Bite
-- Dragon Rage
This thing has GOT to learn some decent moves soon...

Arbok (lvl 30)
Hardy
-- Bite
-- Poison Sting
-- Glare
-- Screech
I know Arbok might suck, but this is a personal thing. I've never played a game where you could catch an Arbok outside the Safari Zone. Thus, I've never had one, and I want one. And he's not doing too bad. If I'd had a few more Super Potions and Lt. Surge's Raichu didn't love to spam Double-Team, she would have swept the gym, gym trainers included.

Fearow (lvl 35)
Adamant
-- Aerial Ace
-- Pursuit
-- Leer
-- Fly
First catch, and has served me really well. Fly used to be Fury Attack.

Pikachu (lvl 30)
Careful
-- Thunderbolt
-- Slam
-- Quick Attack
-- Thunder Wave
I know it's got a -Sp. Atk. nature, but by the time I actually FOUND one of these little buggers, I was too fed up to care. He's done all right so far.

Cheers guys,
I'm on Pearl. Although unfortunately I'm at the same point on Diamond and Pearl! :/

my japanese pearl team:

Mewtwo
lv 100 hp: 403
- Psychic
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere

Giratina
lv 100 hp: 504
- Shadow Force
- Shadow Claw
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

Dodaitosu
lv 89 hp: 298
- Leaf Storm
- Frenzy Plant
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Palkia
lv 89 hp: 293
- Spacial Rend
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Tail

Heatran
lv 85 hp: 277
- Fire Fang
- Heat Wave
- Iron Head
- Earth Power

Rayquaza
lv 85 hp: 333
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Fly
- Thunder

please rate my team with feedback.

impressive. i would sure like to battle my team against yours but i haven't the wfc to battle

Made some changes to my Ruby-team. They're all around level 50, except Gardevoir (46) and I'm doing quite a bit of grinding before E4.

pkrs118.gif

Naugthy
Dragonbreath
HP Fighting
Dig
Flamethrower

He's frail, but packs some power. Dig > Earthquake simply because I'm saving the TM. Have 5 on Platinum soon.

pkrs031.gif

Hasty
Trace
Psychic
Reflect
Calm Mind
Thunderbolt

Love Gardevoir. Packs quite a punch, but hates Claydol. Steelix doesn't appear anywhere, so she's safe for it.

pkrs189.gif

Naughty
Dragonbreath
Brick Break
Fly
Ember

Nice attacker and in-game flier. Ember to be Flamethrower and breath to claw. Is 188 a decent attack in level 50? And 151 Speed? It's not EVed, but I have fought quite a few Solrocks and Golbats

pkrs072.gif

Jolly
Rock Head
Metal Claw
HP Rock
Aerial Ace
Strength

If it hadn't been for his two weaknesses, Aggron would have been excellent. Now, he's just great. But he looks awesome though

pkrs185.gif

Mild
Poison Point
Surf
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Double Team

Remember I said Gardevoir hated Claydol. This handles the floating thing easily. Can't evolve it though. And could have used a better HP than Ghost.

pkrs009.gif

Careful
Protect
Surf
Ice Beam
Mud Shot

Obviously, the last move is going to be Eartquake. My starter. Not too happy about the nature, but I'll live.

Restarted Firered. I bought a Magikarp and I'm raising it on Route 3 (In front of Mt. Moon) and trying to fine a NidoF (I was originally planning to not use my starter in my team at all but..)

Magikarp Lvl 10
Splash >___>

Pidgey Lvl 12
Tackle
Sand-Attack
Gust

Butterfree Lvl 11
Confusion
String Shot
Harden
Tackle

Pikachu Lvl 12