• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The International Dub Thread

Here are some clips from the Finnish dub of Pokémon. First, the original Team Rocket motto.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=VRvOty-Wzhc

Also, since I can't resist, here are the translated lyrics:
Jessie: "There are two of us!"
James: "To be feared!/To dread!"
Jessie: "The world needs a rescue!"
James: "Our people is the greatest, having a black soul!"
Jessie: "Truth and love are for poor
Not poor as in rich and poor, but as in unfortunate.
people!"
James: "But stars and galaxies (are) for the queens!"
Jessie: "Jessie!"
James: "James!"
Jessie: "We aim the bolts to the skies!"
James: "Stand down, or we'll take up arms!"
Meowth: "Meowth! That's right!"

Next, the Team Rocket song from The Song of Jigglypuff.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=3NzCps9ShkM

And again, here are the translated lyrics:
Our team here is mean
We worship evil
The motto is all worn out
We want to sing!
Jessie!
James!
Now one must be prepared!
Meowth! Ta-dah!

The other is handsome!
And the other (is) gorgeous!
Beauty decides
If the plans get sour
Mean things continue, yeah

We want Pikachu
Just for the three of us
Then we'll be heroes
We'll blast off... to the stars!

And, lastly for this batch of clips, here's the original theme song in Finnish (not feeling like translating the lyrics here right now, maybe some other day).

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=sa2r6UGbe-s

Then, on to other things about the Finnish dub.

Like some other dubs, the Finnish dub has skipped a lot of episodes, mostly from the original series. Most notably, the entire Orange Islands saga (plus Friends to the End) was skipped in Finnish. Other batches of skipped episodes were from Going Apricorn! to The Fortune Hunters, from All that Glitters! to You're a Star, Larvitar!, and from A Three Team Scheme! to Watt's with Wattson. Since then, every main series episode that's been dubbed in English has also eventually received a Finnish dubbed version.

As for the movies, The Power of One was dubbed into Finnish despite the Orange Islands saga being skipped. However, we were unfortunately denied of the dubs of Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew for some reason. Also, movies 5 to 7 were dubbed by a completely different company that usually dubs the series and the movies. The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon was also dubbed into Finnish, as well as the first Mystery Dungeon special and the seven first Pikachu shorts.

Last edited:
The new series has been announced for South Korea as "Pocket Monsters W", to air this spring.
2020-01-17_09-19-28-58792-1579220368.png

Last edited:
The new series has been announced for South Korea as "Pocket Monsters W", to air this spring.
2020-01-17_09-19-28-58792-1579220368.png

So what is the W for, world? Hell, I think that would have been a better title (Pocket Monsters World) than Japan giving up on having an actual title all together.

Ah, interesting. So I guess the english title would be something like "Pokemon Duo" if that was official to the Japanese anime. People call them the duo all the time antway.

And the logo isn't designed after its Japanese counterpart like usual... That's pretty interesting to be honest.
I wonder if the opening will be completely original too, as opposed to a soundalike to the JP one.

I find it interesting that they included GO! in the poster. Looks like they're promoting a very open Pokemon GO connection from the beginning.

Meanwhile America will probably get some Ed Goldfarb concoction that bears little resemblance to the Japanese theme. Not that everything that Goldfarb has done is bad as I actually love the Sun And Moon Ultra Legends theme song (dang catchy)... but come on... this English cover version of the Japanese theme for the new series is freaking good.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6giFAYoYakM&fbclid

The Brazilian dub is recasting again, and is moving to a new studio called DoubleSound.
I'm not following my homecountry's dub since early DP, I guess, but by checking a few of the SM episodes in Portuguese they just sound awful. And to help there's a bunch of useless characters' names changes that never happened before.

So even though I don't follow Brazil's dub since 2008 I'm sorta glad they're making changes, hopefully for the better (like stop changing names for no reason).

Meanwhile America will probably get some Ed Goldfarb concoction that bears little resemblance to the Japanese theme. Not that everything that Goldfarb has done is bad as I actually love the Sun And Moon Ultra Legends theme song (dang catchy)... but come on... this English cover version of the Japanese theme for the new series is freaking good.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6giFAYoYakM&fbclid

The English cover is good, but you should share the original video, not a re-upload from another channel

Been a while but some thingies are happening.

Thailand starts S23 on April 25th

So the dub opening will be leaked by then, along with the dub episode title, the background music and maybe the whole English audio if someone has access to double audio track and is able to record it.
The Brazilian dub is recasting again, and is moving to a new studio called DoubleSound.

I feel very sorry for them. I hope this doesn't affect Latin American Spanish.

Back
Top Bottom