• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The International Dub Thread

Wait, seriously? How many other dubs are dead now in total? And hopefully the dead ones can be revived. Not everyone speaks english and/or Japanese.
Malay (Black and White in 2017)
Croatian (Black and White in 2012)
Bulgarian (Galactic Battles in ???)
Icelandic (Indigo League in 2000)
Lithuanian (Advanced in 2005)
Romanian (Galactic Battles in 2010)
Serbian (Black and White in 2012)
Slovak (Master Quest in 2005)
Arabic (Advanced in 2005)
Hindi (Kalos Quest in 2015)
Greek? (No word of XYZ since 2015)
Turkish (XYZ since 2017)
Canadian French (Advanced since 2004)

Last edited:
I'm honestly surprised that no network has shown interest in airing Pokémon in Arabic again. If they pretty much get all Disney cartoons with no problems, I don't see why Pokémon can't.

Also, Greek? That's awful, they've continuously gotten all seasons if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the channel it airs in it's lazy and hasn't broadcast new episodes just yet. Cartoon Network did take a lot of time to debut the XY series over here, despite the dub being ready over a year prior.

I'm honestly surprised that no network has shown interest in airing Pokémon in Arabic again. If they pretty much get all Disney cartoons with no problems, I don't see why Pokémon can't.

Also, Greek? That's awful, they've continuously gotten all seasons if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the channel it airs in it's lazy and hasn't broadcast new episodes just yet. Cartoon Network did take a lot of time to debut the XY series over here, despite the dub being ready over a year prior.
Remember that Pokemon was banned in the Arab World for a while, so after it was unbanned, interest dropped drastically

Normally I'd expect interest to increase due to the controversy. If people didn't show much interest after it was unbanned, then I assume no one saw it as a big deal back when it was banned in the first place.
Either that or the ban left such a massively bad image of the franchise that they just didn't want anything to do with it anymore... which still makes me wonder why would that still pose a problem nowadays.

Normally I'd expect interest to increase due to the controversy. If people didn't show much interest after it was unbanned, then I assume no one saw it as a big deal back when it was banned in the first place.
Either that or the ban left such a massively bad image of the franchise that they just didn't want anything to do with it anymore... which still makes me wonder why would that still pose a problem nowadays.
Actually, I lived in Palestine for some time and there was an interest in the show from people themselves. The companies on the other hand...

Indonesian dubs are inconsistent. They changed VAs a lot, frequently moved their time slots (from AM to PM, then back to AM again, or shifting its schedules by an hour or two. 30 minutes is minimum), and they didn't even tried to improvise their roles. I mean goddamnit, not only their voice sounded too cringey, I'm also confused following their XY dub airings. To this date, they're getting burned out and won't premiere SM at all. I remembered the dub producers were protested by local fans for using English dub footages, but retained JP's character names. It's just make me very tired to support my country's community due to their aggressive "100% locally-made" slogans which essentially ruining third-party foreign shows and destroyed children's imagination by bringing such half-hearted content.

I'm looking for something fairly specific (that I've never been able to find): the Team Rocket motto in Tamil. If anyone sees it in passing, give me a ping.

I'm looking for something fairly specific (that I've never been able to find): the Team Rocket motto in Tamil. If anyone sees it in passing, give me a ping.
Ugh, Tamil and Telugu are always the sneakiest dubs. Most of the time I try to find stuff for shows that are dubbed in those languages, the only information available is the fact that they exist.

Thanks mate, you are magic! How the hell did you find that?!

The Canadian French dub (the one I used to watch) got discontinued in 2004. Télétoon now airs the European French one.

EDIT: I think only Saddam and the Saudis banned it (or wanted to).

Last edited:
Out of curiosity and because I'm studying Spanish I've actually been watching the Latin American dub of season one, and it's actually pretty literally translated from the 4Kids script, wordplay and all. Does that mean they started taking more liberties in the Johto saga?

And I too feel bad for those whose local dubs have been discontinued. It's always nice to bring the show to more audiences.

Out of curiosity and because I'm studying Spanish I've actually been watching the Latin American dub of season one, and it's actually pretty literally translated from the 4Kids script, wordplay and all. Does that mean they started taking more liberties in the Johto saga?
Yes, the first episodes were much closer to the English script. I think it was during the Orange Islands that you can actually notice script changes ocurring more often. It's mostly James and Meowth's dialogue, though (and Brock to a lesser extent). If you're looking for real changes go watch Sinnoh (seasons 11-12). The ad libs are such, that sometimes the dialogue between characters don't match up because they're clearly recording separately.

Last edited:
The European Portuguese dub of Sun and Moon debuted last week! And we are having 5 episodes per weekend, so I suppose we'll finish it fast (or at least the first half of SM). Biggs, the broadcaster, always likes doing this: as soon as they get new episodes they kind of air them as fast as they can, and heavily promote them, we even have posters on the streets

20171006_175942.jpg
but then the drawback is that they finish airing new episodes really fast, and we have long courses of reruns until they get new episodes. Though I suppose that for them it is very nice to have a great boost in audiences from time to time? And it is great for binge watching, sure.

The Portuguese opening is here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyQN7k7-r7A

And here you have our Alolan Team Rocket motto.

View: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x64gs3o

I like how they translated it, it's very faithful to the English version, but it's nice because of how they chose to word it - they're using some very poetical Portuguese words there, such as "efémero", "singela", "pudor", "trevas", among others, so I like it. Regarding the acting of our voice actors, I think it could be much better if they weren't listening to the American voice actors while dubbing.

I'll also share the motto from SM007, that slice of life one, I think it's very good in Portuguese.

The Alolan Team Rocket motto in Portuguese is kind of notable because it is the first time that a standard TR motto doesn't rhyme, even if it's the same situation in the English version. Though in Unova the English version of the motto did not rhyme too, and yet the Portuguese version did, and for the translation of the Unova motto they kind of drew inspiration from the Japanese motto (during that time the Portuguese fans tried to expose the Japanese version of Pokémon to them, and at least for the Unova motto it payed off) - notice how in the Portuguese version they try to have those "Future!" and "Universe!" that the Japanese version had. You can watch the Unova motto here.
And you can also watch this motto because here it is way more noticeable how they are using "Future!" and "Universe!", though in this motto in particular James's voice actor was not on its best days.

Last edited:
For those interested, this is Team Rocket's original motto in Dutch:

]View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HnJT7BCfp_c[/VIDEO]

Jessie's voice actress still voices her to this day in SM (same for Ash, still the same voice actress as in the original series). James' original Dutch voice actor tragically passed away at age 49. I think his successor is doing a decent job, but I grew up with the old voice. Meowth's original Dutch voice actor quit the job, and he is now voiced by the voice actor who voiced Brock (which is really weird, as his Meowth doesn't sound that different from the Dutch Brock, imo)

Anyway, here is the Dutch XY motto:

]View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aIBcDJ8YlUA[/VIDEO]

And here is a recent interview with Jessie's Dutch voice actress. It's a shame there's no subtitles, but she basically says how she loves to voice Jessie, even after 20 years of doing it, and how James' original voice actor still has a place in her heart:

]View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcHboixWORg[/VIDEO]

Back
Top Bottom