• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The "Is My Pokémon Hacked?" Thread

Can always go for 2011 Nationals, right?

Sure, a year from now; I just figured that was a bit far away to plan for. But isn't it likely that B&W will be the games used to compete at that event? I thought it was always the most recent games. This year's tournaments only allowed Hg/Ss to participate.

Uh, Megatron, it could have been traded from FR or LG

But it wouldn't appear as Inazuni's Jynx does, if it had been traded from Fr/Lg. In that case it would've been migrated from Kanto, not Hoenn; even if a Hoenn game was used to Pal Park. The "migrated from" variable is based on the original game in which the Pokemon was caught, hatched, or otherwise obtained... not necessarily the game it was Pal Parked from.

Also, even in Fr/Lg, the only way to get a Jynx is an in-game trade in Cerulean City. And you can only get Smoochum by breeding Jynx. There's still no way to get one in a Master Ball.

Sure, a year from now; I just figured that was a bit far away to plan for. But isn't it likely that B&W will be the games used to compete at that event? I thought it was always the most recent games. This year's tournaments only allowed Hg/Ss to participate.

Yeah, but you can still use Gen III/IV Pokemon for those games, migrated into B/W. I went along to the UK championships this year (didn't compete) and most of the teams consisted of Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokemon, even though HG/SS were the only games you were allowed to enter with. Since the qualifiers were held in May, with HG/SS only released in March, I'm guessing you would have to have a lot of time on your hands to put the perfect team together in that time. I'm thinking about entering next year and am not too long off starting to breed/train/put together a decent team.

But it wouldn't appear as Inazuni's Jynx does, if it had been traded from Fr/Lg. In that case it would've been migrated from Kanto, not Hoenn; even if a Hoenn game was used to Pal Park. The "migrated from" variable is based on the original game in which the Pokemon was caught, hatched, or otherwise obtained... not necessarily the game it was Pal Parked from.

Ahh, here's the problem that has just made them throw out a legit 'mon - Catch in FR/LG, Trade to RS (Not E) then bring up to DPPTHGSS - It'll say Hoenn due to RS not having the Kanto Marker.

Ahh, here's the problem that has just made them throw out a legit 'mon - Catch in FR/LG, Trade to RS (Not E) then bring up to DPPTHGSS - It'll say Hoenn due to RS not having the Kanto Marker.

Pretty sure that still doesn't work. It's like trading a Hg/Ss Pokemon to D/P/Pt... the older games don't contain the new capture location data (they all show as faraway place, or whatever), but it's still there if you were to trade it back to Hg/Ss again. The data isn't lost, simply because D/P/Pt can't display it properly. When GF is making the first entries in a new generation, they always give the data structures some additional clearance for potential future games; even if they're not 100% sure what those games will be yet.

Similarly, I don't believe the "home region" variable is altered upon trading a Fr/Lg Pokemon to R/S. When you trade from R/S back to Fr/Lg, it's the same as it was before. If the capture location data isn't changed, I see no reason to believe the home region data is altered, either.

Last edited:

Does it really matter? You can't catch a Jynx in Fr Lg anyway. You have to NPC trade or hatch it.

can you tell if this celebi is hacked?

Celebi Lv50
OT: Something in japanese
ID No. 07100
Bashful
Jul. 6, 2010
Pokemon Movie 10
fateful encounter Lv50
leaf storm / recover / nasty plot / healing wish
classic ribbon

Edit: IV's: HP: 2-3 ATK: 10-11 DEF: 22-23 SPA: 2-3 SPD: 18-19 SPE: 6-7

Last edited:
Unless I'm mistaken, that is the new Japanese Movie Event Celebi. It's currently a Japanese event only, so it is rare and perfectly legit.

I know Celebii is stilled banned from the regional, national, and world championships (isn't it?), but I'm impatient so I want the special celebii in america. I was wanting to know if when they do the cheat-checker thing (it's like real technical, right, I mean not just by looking at stats and stuff?) can they know if you used an action replay code to get like an event pokemon that you missed? I mean like actually started the event and went to the pokemart, not "it will appear in the sixth slot of your party" kind of thing.

And a hacked pokemon won't effect any of your legit ones right?

I know Celebii is stilled banned from the regional, national, and world championships (isn't it?), but I'm impatient so I want the special celebii in america. I was wanting to know if when they do the cheat-checker thing (it's like real technical, right, I mean not just by looking at stats and stuff?) can they know if you used an action replay code to get like an event pokemon that you missed? I mean like actually started the event and went to the pokemart, not "it will appear in the sixth slot of your party" kind of thing.

And a hacked pokemon won't effect any of your legit ones right?
If you have any hacked Pokémon on your game, BAM. For example, at VGC 2010 Worlds Weavile was still considered a hack due to it knowing Fake Out. My friend was disqualified due to it, and emailed TPCi who fixed the problem.

Using an Action Replay marks your game, and any hacked Pokémon on your game will be caught out. It's a rather intricate program they use.

iirc, they put your game into a special DS, and if it detects anything out of the ordinary, the screen flashes red.

Hacked? I'm suspicious about it being Jun. 25, when the event supposedly started on the 26th. (I also got it without an item, but the person who downloaded it could have easily taken it off.)

Pokemon: Jirachi, Lv. 5
Ball: Cherish Ball

Nickname: None (JIRACHI)
OT: SMR2010
ID No. 06260

Nature: Calm
Caught: Jun. 25, 2010 @ Pokémon Event
Note: Apparently had a fateful encounter at Lv. 5.

HP: 26
Attack: 13
Defense: 15
Sp. Atk: 15
Sp. Def: 17
Speed: 15
Ability: Serene Grace

Moves: Wish, Confusion, Rest, Draco Meteor

Ribbons: Classic Ribbon

The date is dependant on the date on the DS. It could have come from a European Country, or another part of America, as Time Zones could affect that.

If you have any hacked Pokémon on your game, BAM. For example, at VGC 2010 Worlds Weavile was still considered a hack due to it knowing Fake Out. My friend was disqualified due to it, and emailed TPCi who fixed the problem.

Using an Action Replay marks your game, and any hacked Pokémon on your game will be caught out. It's a rather intricate program they use.

iirc, they put your game into a special DS, and if it detects anything out of the ordinary, the screen flashes red.

So I'll be disqualified if i ever used an action replay even if the pokemon I'm using are legal?

Probably. From what I've heard there are different levels of checks. Some only look at your party Pokemon; the ones you've officially registered in the tournament. That kind of check wouldn't be impacted by past use of an AR, assuming your party is legal. It's possible that some of the more thorough checks could look for data anomalies that certain types of AR codes can cause. Since cheating devices can have such varied effects (from minor to huge), though, detecting past use isn't a sure thing.

Unfortunately, there are some very precise programs these days that can generate AR codes for you... codes which alter your data to match what it would look like if you'd done whatever it is the code does entirely in-game. People can also escape being flagged by a hack check if they use a different cartridge to actually create the hacked Pokemon, and then trade those Pokemon over to a cartridge which has never been used with an AR (assuming the hacked Pokemon use proper PID/IV algorithms, and appear legal in every way).

I'd hope most people wouldn't use hacks at official tournaments like the VGC, but I'm sure there are always a few who manage fool the hack checks.

I entered last year (and lost my first battle) and I guess you could say I cheated, in the since you've just explained, but I don't really consider it cheating. I used an AR to get like TMs and make certain pokemon appear for EV training or if I have no other way to get them, but i really train them and i don't modify their stats or anything and they look perfectly legal, but like I said I don't consider that cheating.

Using an AR to get all IVa at 31, yeah, that's cheating.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom