• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The "Is My Pokémon Hacked?" Thread

Pokemon Species: Magnezone (shiny)
Current level: 31
Nickname: (no nickname)
Nature: Modest
Ability: Magnet Pull
Date met: Jul. 11, 2009
Ribbons: None
Ball: Poké Ball
Area encountered: Fuego Ironworks
Level encountered: 28
OT: Pearl (61502)
Moves: SonicBoom, Thunder Wave, Spark, Magnet Bomb
Stats: 85, 48, 83, 105, 68, 48 (Ingame order)
IVs: 4, 20, 23, 31, 24, 21
EVs: 0, 0, 0, 20, 0, 0

I'm almost convinced that this one is at least semi-legit.

Pokemon Species: Magnezone (shiny)
Current level: 31
Nickname: (no nickname)
Nature: Modest
Ability: Magnet Pull
Date met: Jul. 11, 2009
Ribbons: None
Ball: Poké Ball
Area encountered: Fuego Ironworks
Level encountered: 28
OT: Pearl (61502)
Moves: SonicBoom, Thunder Wave, Spark, Magnet Bomb
Stats: 85, 48, 83, 105, 68, 48 (Ingame order)
IVs: 4, 20, 23, 31, 24, 21
EVs: 0, 0, 0, 20, 0, 0

I'm almost convinced that this one is at least semi-legit.

It seems legit to me.

It seems legit to me.

It looks mostly OK, except those IVs are not legal for Method 1 (e.g. the method all Wild Pokemon use to have their IVs generated in DPPt). I'm not too knowledgeable on IVs of chained shinies. I believe their IVs are generated the same as normal Pokemon (Method 1), but there is some other process involved in determining their shinyness.

There is a possibility that if the Magnemite was chained with a Modest Synchronizer, the IVs could be legal, but I don't think that's too likely. I think the best thing you could do is check it in legal.exe to see if the sync is valid or not, and maybe it will offer some other insights as well.

Last edited:
It looks mostly OK, except those IVs are not legal for Method 1 (e.g. the method all Wild Pokemon use to have their IVs generated in DPPt). I'm not too knowledgeable on IVs of chained shinies. I believe their IVs are generated the same as normal Pokemon (Method 1), but there is some other process involved in determining their shinyness.

There is a possibility that if the Magnemite was chained with a Modest Synchronizer, the IVs could be legal, but I don't think that's too likely. I think the best thing you could do is check it in legal.exe to see if the sync is valid or not, and maybe it will offer some other insights as well.
Pokemon Legality Checker - by: Sabresite - vB54-24
Checksum: 0x441E - Valid
Pokemon ID: 2932826290 - Modest, Genderless, Ability 1, Shiny
Date: July 11, 2009
IVs: 4,20,23,21,31,24
Trainer ID: 61502
Secret ID: 15936
Trainer Gender: Female
Hidden Power: Ghost - 42
Fateful Encounter: No
Gender Check: Valid
Effort Values: Valid
Nicknamed: No
Home Town: Sinnoh [Pearl]
Country Originated: UK/US/AU
Chained Sync: Valid
Type: Chain Shiny

Apparently, I'm fine.

By the way, should I be alarmed if I get "Hacked or Unknown Pokémon" for a very recent event?
What about "Unknown GBA"?
If it says "Hacked", it's guranteed to be hacked?

I wouldn't put recent events in legal as it has not been programmed for them yet. Most of the events legal accepts are in the readme file. Stuff like World10 Crobat, Wifi Manaphy, Movie Celebi etc are not likely to work.

For Unknown GBA, refer to the readme. Some legit things will always be Unknown GBA such as XD and Colosseum pokes.

In general, if it says hacked anywhere, it's definitely hacked. Also, if you get anything 'invalid' that means a hack as well. Treat legal as a guide, though. You have to add your own common sense on top of the results a lot of the time. You can again refer to the readme for examples.

If you have any questions post the legal.exe results and what the Pokemon is and I will take a look at it / refer other people who are knowledgeable to look at it.

I wouldn't put recent events in legal as it has not been programmed for them yet. Most of the events legal accepts are in the readme file. Stuff like World10 Crobat, Wifi Manaphy, Movie Celebi etc are not likely to work.

For Unknown GBA, refer to the readme. Some legit things will always be Unknown GBA such as XD and Colosseum pokes.

In general, if it says hacked anywhere, it's definitely hacked. Also, if you get anything 'invalid' that means a hack as well. Treat legal as a guide, though. You have to add your own common sense on top of the results a lot of the time. You can again refer to the readme for examples.

If you have any questions post the legal.exe results and what the Pokemon is and I will take a look at it / refer other people who are knowledgeable to look at it.
Ingame trades: Why is Steven's SID 00000? That's my Metagross (was Beldum) Legal.exe is labelling it as "Hacked or unknown", and I did the trade myself without any codes on.

Ingame trades: Why is Steven's SID 00000? That's my Metagross (was Beldum) Legal.exe is labelling it as "Hacked or unknown", and I did the trade myself without any codes on.

Hack checking programs are unreliable and I suggest you not use them. Hackers these days can quite easily fix up a few trash bytes to make something look legit while something like that Beldum comes up hacked. My guess is that Steven's SID is supposed to be like that, but an internet search to confirm this came up with nothing...

Hack checking programs are unreliable and I suggest you not use them. Hackers these days can quite easily fix up a few trash bytes to make something look legit while something like that Beldum comes up hacked.

I won't argue that you don't make a good point. I am probably equally pessimistic about the Pokemon out there.

However, legal.exe is not for finding whether your Pokemon is 'legit' or not. If you got it in a trade from someone you don't know, you'll probably never be able to find out if it is truly legitimate.

I find legal to be nice to take care of noob hacks. There are a LOT of those here on Bulbagarden.

In general you should take the results of a hack checking program with a grain of salt, and apply common sense when you can.

I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned this yet, but I checked and your Mew has already been confirmed to be a hack. Here is the PokeCommunity hacks list.
Oh man :O It is a hack it matches this one:

Timid Shiny || MYSTRY 06930 | Apr. 30, 2007 | Thoroughly cunning

Thanks for confirming it with me. I'm gonna talk to the guy that traded it to me.

Pokemon Species:Dialga (shiny
Nickname:FURIA (cherry icon here)
Ribbons:sinnoh champ gorgeous
Ball:premier
Area encountered:spear pillar
Level encountered:47
OT:DrKATTS (funny d and a)
Moves:aura sphere ice beam dragon claw roar of time
Stats:IVs 30/31/31/31/31/31 342/301/301/361/234/265
Naive nature, pokemon is level 100.

Can an Aura mew have blue OT? If more info needed just tell me...

Last edited:
^ I recieved Jodi's possible-hacked-but-we're-not-too-sure Aura Mew.

It's OT, Aura, has blue lettering...but it's written in red in the Bulbapedia event listings for 2007.
Is a blue OT for Aura Mew possible?

Out of the five Aura Mews I own only one has a blue O/T. Now its been a while since I got these so I can't remember who traded each one. So I am going to say its possible but I am not 100% sure, but I usually check for hacking after I get an event from a trade. So I probably checked if it could have male trainer and it passed at the time. The only 3rd gen event that I know for certain that has a gender specific trainer is the channel jirachi. That was a male trainer by the way.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom