• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Island Trials

Reaction score
It turns out that something interesting was mentioned during E3, but hardly anyone noticed it. It was actually revealed that in order to become the Champion, the player has to win the "island trials". Judging from the name alone, we are not dealing with standard gyms.

The question is: Just how different are the trials than gyms? Is it just semantics, or are Game Freak finally shaking up the formula? Could there be more to these trials than battles, much like the anime's Orange League? Will there be one trial per island, or two to mirror the number of gyms? Could the island trials be a replacement for the Elite Four instead of gyms?

Last edited:
Wait, island trials? If they replace gyms, that would imply that you became a Champion directly after beating the said gyms?

Perhaps it isn't a replacement of the gyms, but instead a kind of replacement for Victory Road? Perhaps, after we've accomplished gaining the 8 gym badges, one part of each of the four islands previously inaccessible, reveal themselves, and we're told that in order to battle the Elite Four and Champion, we have to complete the four trials.

I hope they don't cut the "boss" battles that gym leaders were, but I do hope there's various aspects to each trial. Like a really cheesy gameshow

I think I remember GF saying there were seven island trials at E3. Either way, if these are replacing gyms as we currently know them (they seem to basically be gyms, but whatever), that gives some credibility to the recent leak that said gyms won't be "as we know them" as someone on Smogon put it.

I personally think that cause there are 8 slots on the bracelets, there will be 8 different gems instead of badges. As for the E4, yeah the island trails could be 4 mini victort roads with an elite 4 at the end. Not going in to how and what the change entails plot wise until and if confirmation comes for it.

I doubt that the island trials only apply to the Elite Four, with gyms remaining unchanged. The Elite Four are supposed to be the culmination of the badge quest, so it would be weird if they got a new theme that had nothing to do with the gyms.

I think I remember GF saying there were seven island trials at E3.
No number was specified. Just watch the video I linked to.

Either way, if these are replacing gyms as we currently know them (they seem to basically be gyms, but whatever), that gives some credibility to the recent leak that said gyms won't be "as we know them" as someone on Smogon put it.
That "leak" is more recent than E3, so it was probably based on the revealed information to appear more likely.

Mitchman said:
I personally think that cause there are 8 slots on the bracelets,
Source?

Last edited:
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/7/74/Sun_Moon_Protagonist_female.png
Look at the female artwork and its obvious there are 7 slots around the bracelet. I can see them being the plot mcguffin, easily. Instead of badges, you collect the 8 gems held by a gem user potent in its powers. Instead of types each gym equivalent is centered around that gem. Pretty big change if you ask me.

Defeating the 4 Kahuna's of each island and beating the game will likely also give us for the post game access to hunt down the guardians.

So what could the 8 themes be, and what would the gems give to the player? Different classes of powered up moves?

In the first three generations, some badges increased stats by 10%, but only in internal battles rather than link battles.

My guess would be this:
http://cdn.idigitaltimes.com/sites/.../2016/06/15/popplio-stat-pokemon-sun-moon.jpg
Each gem is for each stat. The main gem would be a sun/moon gem exclusive to each version, and the final gem would unlock mega evolution for Pokemon with mega evolution. This would utilize the other gems for each stat boost and the mega gem is a catalyst. How bonding works in according to stat boosts is my big unknown.
Edit:For clarification, I think its tied to megas in the end because the multiple colors will amount to a rainbow, which represents mega evolution. And stat boosts obviously.

Last edited:
So would we just have 4 gyms instead of 8 then? I wouldn't mind that, tbh, as long as we still have gym leaders and gym badges.

So what could the 8 themes be, and what would the gems give to the player? Different classes of powered up moves?

In the first three generations, some badges increased stats by 10%, but only in internal battles rather than link battles.

Actually, the gems giving different classes of powered-up moves doesn't sound all that Farfetch'd (pun intended) if you think about it.

You know that screenshot of Pikachu doing an attack that looks like it's breathing lightning? If I recall correctly, the official website has a caption for that screenshot in the "Cool Features" section saying that we'd get to use moves more powerful than ever before. Also, around the time that picture came out, I think Masuda sent out a tweet saying that there were going to be "new elements" in the games that's been associated with that picture.

If you add all of that to the fact that Prof. Kukui's field of study is Pokemon moves, than there is a great possibility that the gems obtained from the Island Trials are going to act as a catalyst for transforming certain moves into super-powerful ones. for the purpose of discussion, I shall dub them "Premium Moves" from here on out.

The problem with this theory is this: how and when would certain moves transform, and how long would this transformation last?

I have an idea. How to incorporate an Orange Islands style (gym-free) quest, without getting rid of Gym puzzles?

We have to go to a Gym-like building to find the Island Leader, and ask him to come, and the battles could still take place outside.

Like in BW2 we have to go to Elesas former gym to find her, but we battle her at her new gym.

Or in DP, we have to go look for the gym leader in Orenburg mines.

Personally I could easily see eight. The bracelet is big enough to fit more than four.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/7/74/Sun_Moon_Protagonist_female.png

Look at the female protagonist's wrist, there's definitely more than 4.

The female protag's bracelet looks like it holds seven, not counting the "main" one. Three slots on either side and then one opposite the "main" diamond.

So would we just have 4 gyms instead of 8 then? I wouldn't mind that, tbh, as long as we still have gym leaders and gym badges.

"Only four Gym Leaders!? They keep babying us by making the games easier!"

I can already see it now. :p

Last edited:
Actually, the gems giving different classes of powered-up moves doesn't sound all that Farfetch'd (pun intended) if you think about it.
The special moves are confirmed, but the question is if the gems are really associated with 8 different classes of such moves. What could the classes be? There aren't enough for all types.

I can think of physical, special, stat lowering, stat increasing, status inflicting, recovery/status removing, arena changing (like weather moves) and miscellaneous (like Roar and Mean Look).

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom