• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Island Trials

I no longer have any guesses as to how this is patterned out, just that Melemele only has one captain, Ilima, and the kahuna. The other kahunas could be anything, but are counted in the 18 types we are sure to face.

Especially how we have seen the Trial Captains dance their type moves, so it would be natural to assume that defeating the totem gains the z crystal, but the dance needed comes from the captains.
but then: 1) what about the exclusive ones, like Eevium (?) and Snorlium Z? and then 2) what about the fact that it's probably only seven trials total. seems to me that either there's a sort of "lessons learned" from the trial that relates to the pose they make or the poses are just there as a kind of "oh hey, the captains did that cool" type thing.

For dances/crystals that don't have a trial captain, you could just learn the dance from the kahunas. Trial captains might only know the one dance they teach, but I doubt the kahunas do.

The Kahunas seem to be just like the Elite Four, but that's worrying, because they have only 3 Pokemon. I don't want an extremely easy game. Sadly, I feel like that's how it's going to turn out. I just hope that the Totem Pokemon turn out to be a challenge, and not total pushovers.

So if the Kahunas is the Alola version of Elite Four, then what is the Alola version of a champion?

@Arceus the Dragon; Don't know. But we do know that there IS a champion of Alola. Kukui mentions him.

Well, I guess strictly speaking, Kukui only says that the goal is to become the Island Challenge Champion. There doesn't necessarily need to be an existing Champion in order for you to do that, although the Backpacker in XY says that his region has a Champion (albeit one that's "really something else").

@Esserise; I'd like to think there IS an Island Champion already. Just judging by the way Kukui and the Backpacker seem to talk, probably a character that none of us have even met yet or maybe it has been revealed but are keeping it a secret for now.

Wait... so does this mean you have to buy all TMs in Alola, or does someone else give them to you? Plus being locked out of Waterfall and Surf would be pretty lame, so the HM moves better be tutors or something.
Well I'd assume that you'd get them in the exact same ways you'd get all TMs except the 8 you get from Gym Battles in earlier games. You find them on the ground, buy them, or just get them as gifts from random characters around the region.
what about the fact that it's probably only seven trials total.
May I ask where you're getting this 'probably' from? The way I see it, we've got 5 Trials confirmed, over 4 islands. That seems rather excessively spaced out don't you think? Melemele might only have one Trial then Hala, since it's the first one and all, but I think that the other islands would have more than 2 trials each.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask where you're getting this 'probably' from? The way I see it, we've got 5 Trials confirmed, over 4 islands. That seems rather excessively spaced out don't you think? Melemele might only have one Trial then Hala, since it's the first one and all, but I think that the other islands would have more than 2 trials each.
some media previews alluded to there being only seven trials. there's some debate as to what some meant, but seven is a fairly consistent number across and it matches pretty well with what we know.

some media previews alluded to there being only seven trials. there's some debate as to what some meant, but seven is a fairly consistent number across and it matches pretty well with what we know.
Hmm, well I suppose that makes some sense. It still feels stretched a bit thin to me, but regardless od whether it's true or not we've just gotta hope GF knows what they're doing.

@Lion-Cub; warning tab.
tumblr_of0hc7PWd51rzo23lo1_500.png
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
@Lion-Cub; warning tab.
tumblr_of0hc7PWd51rzo23lo1_500.png
Oh, this. I remember this, from the first August trailer.
Seeing that "island challenge champion" is highlighted is pretty significant to me I'd say. It seems to imply there currently is one and if I recall, similar things have been done in the past when referencing a person.

Oh, this. I remember this, from the first August trailer.
Seeing that "island challenge champion" is highlighted is pretty significant to me I'd say. It seems to imply there currently is one and if I recall, similar things have been done in the past when referencing a person.
Given the fact that this has been going for YEARS! I think it's safety to say there's ALWAYS an Island Champion around.

so the secret demo trailer reveals at least one more captain, the girl/woman in purple. pretty exciting. hard to tell if the Pelipper guy or Mudsdale girl are also captains, but it doesn't seem as likely.

so the secret demo trailer reveals at least one more captain, the girl/woman in purple. pretty exciting. hard to tell if the Pelipper guy or Mudsdale girl are also captains, but it doesn't seem as likely.
If they are still revealing more captains and we somehow reach 7 trial captain, then its definitely gonna be more then 7 trials, I do think. No way they are gonna reveal all of em before the game is out.

So, do we discuss the Pokemon League here? Or is there going to be a separate thread?

View: https://youtu.be/_tPel7uXuVg

Not sure if anyone saw this already, but KazoWAR (aka the guy who datamined the demo) posted a video of all the battle openings that he found in the demo. If you take a look at video from 2:08 to 2:37, in addition to Kukui's balls, the Kahuna battle openings can be seen. We know that the first 2 belongs to Hala and Olivia, but the video also showed 2 more, a black one (possible dark? but it's impossible GF will never give dark type their due representation am I right!!!!) and brown, which might be the Mudsdale girl. And earlier in the video from 1:02 to 1:19, there are 4 openings that seem to represent Fire, Flying, Steel and Ghost. We kind of know that Kiawe is the Fire type trial captain and there is a Ghost type trial captain, but I'm still kinda puzzled as to what they represent because if there are 7 trial captains (as mentioned in the NicoNico stream) then it would mean that there could only be 1 more unrevealed captain (I'm not counting Kahili because I have no idea what role she will play) However, if we count in a possible Flying and Steel type captain, then we would have 8, which is weird.

Anyway, please do not watch past the 3 minute mark because massive spoilers ahead! And thanks KazoWAR for the video :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom